ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:22 AM   #201
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
There are plenty of population I stars with masses below 0.8 Solar masses.
Ok, but then I have a tricky question: Do the population I stars with mass below 0.8 solar masses have lots of heavy elements, like the population I stars with masses above the solar mass?
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:24 AM   #202
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Anders Lindman View Post
Ok, but then I have a tricky question: Do the population I stars with mass below 0.8 solar masses have lots of heavy elements, like the population I stars with masses above the solar mass?
Yes.

eta That's what makes them Population I.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:25 AM   #203
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
Yes. A white dwarf or neutron star can have the same mass as a main sequence star, but a completely different composition.
How do they know the actual masses of the stars?
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:27 AM   #204
sts60
Illuminator

Folks, AL is a lazy, dishonest troll. I bit-bucketed him a long time ago when it became clear he would never learn anything or even engage honestly. Don't feed the troll.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:42 AM   #205
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

With the risk of making a complete fool of myself . . .
Too late.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:46 AM   #206
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
There are plenty of population I stars with masses below 0.8 Solar masses.
Ha! You tried trick me!!!

"Population I star ... has mass greater than 0.08 the sun's mass" -- http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/astr...opulationIstar

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, my mistake, it says 0.08, I thought it said 0.8.

Last edited by Anders Lindman; 7th August 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:55 AM   #207
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

I found something I do NOT trust:

"In addition to these methods, we also have an excellent understanding of how stars work. Our models of stellar structure are excellent predictors of the properties and evolution of stars. As it turns out, the mass of a star determines its life history from day 1, for all times thereafter, not only when the star is on the Main Sequence. So actually, the position of a star on the H-R diagram is a good indicator of its mass, regardless of whether it's on the Main Sequence or not." -- http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...hp?number=262/

Because if the method for determining the age of stars is completely wrong, then determining their mass based on that cannot be relied upon.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:56 AM   #208
MG1962

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Folks, AL is a lazy, dishonest troll. I bit-bucketed him a long time ago when it became clear he would never learn anything or even engage honestly. Don't feed the troll.
But look at the up side we have Wollery making an all too rare appearance
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 09:59 AM   #209
MG1962

Because if the method for determining the age of stars is completely wrong, then determining their mass based on that cannot be relied upon.
But you have to present something that indicates our current system of dating the age of stars is wrong.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 10:08 AM   #210
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
But you have to present something that indicates our current system of dating the age of stars is wrong.
"Elliptical galaxies have always been considered to have undergone one early star-forming period and thereafter to be devoid of star formation. ... These elliptical galaxies do shine with the diffuse, reddish glow normally associated with stars that are many thousand million years old. However, what is the underlying mix of stars that produces this elderly appearance? Could a significant number of much younger stars be 'hiding' among the older ones?" -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
Old 7th August 2012, 10:13 AM   #211
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

"Important research at Tufts University in 2010 revealed that some of the most massive galaxies in the Universe may have formed billions of years earlier than the current models predicted." -- http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...tense-gro.html
Old 7th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #212
MG1962

"Elliptical galaxies have always been considered to have undergone one early star-forming period and thereafter to be devoid of star formation. ... These elliptical galaxies do shine with the diffuse, reddish glow normally associated with stars that are many thousand million years old. However, what is the underlying mix of stars that produces this elderly appearance? Could a significant number of much younger stars be 'hiding' among the older ones?" -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
And this has what to do with the age of stars?
Old 7th August 2012, 10:15 AM   #213
MG1962

"Important research at Tufts University in 2010 revealed that some of the most massive galaxies in the Universe may have formed billions of years earlier than the current models predicted." -- http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...tense-gro.html
Again this has what to do with what? I hope you dont think that once a star forms it will burn for the entire history of the universe?
Old 7th August 2012, 10:23 AM   #214
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- Established theory doesn't explain everything to my satisfaction even though my entire knowledge of the field is "I spent some time on Wikipedia."
- Therefore it is useless.
- Therefore woo.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 10:26 AM   #215
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

And this has what to do with the age of stars?
As I understand it, the indication of young stars in those galaxies is an anomaly inconsistent with the standard models.
Old 7th August 2012, 10:35 AM   #216
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I should perhaps have been a bit clearer. How many professional scientists dare assume Einstein's relativity is wrong for example?
How many elementary school students have the intellectual courage to assume that 2 + 2 = 5?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 10:43 AM   #217
MG1962

As I understand it, the indication of young stars in those galaxies is an anomaly inconsistent with the standard models.
Of galaxy formation, not stellar formation. Two completely different issues
Old 7th August 2012, 10:47 AM   #218
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

As I understand it...<snip>...
But you intentionally don't, on every subject.

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 10:47 AM   #219
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

My idea was that black holes can be formed out of all kinds of matter, including out of hydrogen and helium. Have I missed something that makes that impossible?
Apparently, you missed science class in high school.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 11:15 AM   #220
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Of galaxy formation, not stellar formation. Two completely different issues
The young stars should not be there in those galaxies according to the standard models. If the age of the stars in reality is different than what the standard models say, then there is perhaps no anomaly. The anomaly may be a result of a wrong determining of the age of the stars!
Old 7th August 2012, 11:48 AM   #221
MG1962

The young stars should not be there in those galaxies according to the standard models. If the age of the stars in reality is different than what the standard models say, then there is perhaps no anomaly. The anomaly may be a result of a wrong determining of the age of the stars!
No
Old 7th August 2012, 11:50 AM   #222
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

So either the entire scientific community is wrong, or YOU are.

Hmmm....

Well, since the only correct thing about any of your posts is the join date listed under your avatar, I'm going to go WAY out an a limb and say that it's you.

Old 7th August 2012, 11:52 AM   #223
Lamuella
Master Poster

Yes, invented by a person at CERN.
so you don't know the difference between the internet and the world wide web. Wow, I am blown away by your knowledge.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 11:56 AM   #224
NoahFence
Banned

uh... 6 pages guys?

Really?

If the sun were a black hole we'd all be dead.

Are you dead AL? No?

kthxbai
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 11:57 AM   #225
Lamuella
Master Poster

Anders, is there a subject that you know a lot about? Please don't say "the internet".
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 11:58 AM   #226
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Let's put this in biological terms (apropriate since you're talking about ages). What you're saying is, essentially, that because there are members of a population that are younger than the age of the population itself, we have misjudged the age of the members of that population. This is patently rediculous--any population will NECESSARILY include younger members--any offspring will by definition be younger than the age of the population. In stars, this means that any star which formed after the galaxy formed is younger than the galaxy.

When you find a star OLDER than the galaxy, yeah, that'll be something we have to think about. But younger starts are to be expected.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 12:00 PM   #227
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
So either the entire scientific community is wrong, or YOU are.

Hmmm....

Well, since the only correct thing about any of your posts is the join date listed under your avatar, I'm going to go WAY out an a limb and say that it's you.
The scientific community admits its an anomaly!
Old 7th August 2012, 12:01 PM   #228
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

No
So how would you explain the anomaly?
Old 7th August 2012, 12:02 PM   #229
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
Anders, is there a subject that you know a lot about? Please don't say "the internet".
No.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:05 PM   #230
dafydd
Banned

I hadn't noticed this thread before. The answer is no.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 12:06 PM   #231
Lamuella
Master Poster

No.
well, thank you for being so honest.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:11 PM   #232
MG1962

So how would you explain the anomaly?
What anomaly?
Old 7th August 2012, 12:12 PM   #233
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
Let's put this in biological terms (apropriate since you're talking about ages). What you're saying is, essentially, that because there are members of a population that are younger than the age of the population itself, we have misjudged the age of the members of that population. This is patently rediculous--any population will NECESSARILY include younger members--any offspring will by definition be younger than the age of the population. In stars, this means that any star which formed after the galaxy formed is younger than the galaxy.

When you find a star OLDER than the galaxy, yeah, that'll be something we have to think about. But younger starts are to be expected.
Would they really have called it a surprising discovery if young stars would have been expected?

Quote from the article: "However, when looking at the Universe as a whole, most of its stars are found in elliptical galaxies whose overall appearance has so far led us to believe that they, and their stars and as well, are old." -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
Old 7th August 2012, 12:13 PM   #234
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

What anomaly?
This anomaly: "However, when looking at the Universe as a whole, most of its stars are found in elliptical galaxies whose overall appearance has so far led us to believe that they, and their stars and as well, are old." -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
Old 7th August 2012, 12:15 PM   #235
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
well, thank you for being so honest.
More polite than honest. You asked me to not answer the Internet.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:18 PM   #236
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
How many elementary school students have the intellectual courage to assume that 2 + 2 = 5?
I'm guessing Anders did, and stuck with that assumption through his adult life.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 12:19 PM   #237
MG1962

This anomaly: "However, when looking at the Universe as a whole, most of its stars are found in elliptical galaxies whose overall appearance has so far led us to believe that they, and their stars and as well, are old." -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
Sorry I am still not seeing your point. Maybe if you could explain to me how eliptical galaxies form I might have a better chance of understanding what this has to do with faults in stella revolution models.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:21 PM   #238
scratchy
Muse

Anders, do you feel like you have learned something from this thread? Or would you rather say that what you called a risk in the opening post has actually happened?
scratchy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 12:26 PM   #239
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Would they really have called it a surprising discovery if young stars would have been expected?

Quote from the article: "However, when looking at the Universe as a whole, most of its stars are found in elliptical galaxies whose overall appearance has so far led us to believe that they, and their stars and as well, are old." -- http://www.esa.int/esaCP/Pr_47_2002_p_EN.html
Sure. I've stated a number of times that I've found younger animals than I expected to find. If I see a population of old critters and I find a juvenile I'm mildly surprised. But it certainly doesn't invalidate anything--stars CAN form new stars (the nebula formed by stars dying can collaps to form new ones).

The term "cherry picking" also comes to mind...
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 12:32 PM   #240
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry I am still not seeing your point. Maybe if you could explain to me how eliptical galaxies form I might have a better chance of understanding what this has to do with faults in stella revolution models.
"Elliptical galaxies are characterized by several properties that make them distinct from other classes of galaxy. They are basically huge squished balls of old stars, starved of star-making gases." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_galaxy

Old stars, and starved of material to make new stars = young stars in eliptical galaxies is an anomaly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology