ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Breitbart.com , donald trump , hillary clinton , Steve Bannon

Reply
Old 15th October 2016, 07:09 AM   #81
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
In that case, then, there's no reason to be upset at Breitbart for backing Trump.
Seriously? (accepting the premise you seem to think you're arguing against) because he is failing to destroy the country he gets a pass for trying to destroy the country?
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 07:10 AM   #82
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
You find rags that constantly lie refreshing?

Didn't see that coming....
Sheez. The part he finds refreshing is their honesty about being partisan.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 11:13 AM   #83
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
Let's leave wanting to silence your opponents to Donald Trump,shall we?
I despise Breibart......and, BTW, there are plenty of conservatives who think Breibart is a disgrace and hurt their cause....but wanting to shut them down is, well,lowering yourself to their level.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 11:15 AM   #84
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9,042
Breitbart is about to be purged by the GOP:

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...rge-civil-war/

Breitbart is reporting it, so it must be true.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 11:23 AM   #85
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Seriously? (accepting the premise you seem to think you're arguing against) because he is failing to destroy the country he gets a pass for trying to destroy the country?
Who is "he" here? Trump? That's not who Noah said should be destroyed. Breitbart? Breitbart isn't a "he" (not any longer). And your ascribed motives are only ascribed.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 11:47 AM   #86
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Who is "he" here? Trump? That's not who Noah said should be destroyed. Breitbart? Breitbart isn't a "he" (not any longer).
"He" Bannon, or "it" Breitbart.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 05:33 PM   #87
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
"He" Bannon, or "it" Breitbart.
Bannon is trying to get Trump elected. Is it your contention that Trump, if elected, would destroy the country?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 05:54 PM   #88
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Bannon is trying to get Trump elected. Is it your contention that Trump, if elected, would destroy the country?
Trump causes me to fear depression, concentration camps, large scale exile, and loss of, possibly war with, current allies. I've never been afraid of a presidential election in my life. That fear is only tempered by the possibility that he might not have a compliant congress or that he might be merely a figure head and turn the office effectively over to Pence.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 05:56 PM   #89
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I think it's spelled "Bannon."
It's name is legion.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:00 PM   #90
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Like I give a ****.
Mr Britebart called, something about a burning cross on his lawn. He doesn't sound best pleased so maybe you should give one.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:03 PM   #91
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Third, I don't think that blaming a media outlet is ever correct. Breitbart didn't exist in a vacuum. Its popularity comes from the fact that people wanted to read such content. The desire for the website predated the website. At best, it is only a single part of a complicated feedback loop. Destroying it (even if Constitutionally possible) wouldn't change anything.
As you say, a complicated feedback loop involving the media, the market, and politicians.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:06 PM   #92
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 12,783
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's sort of my point: Noah's logic is inconsistent. If the threat of a Trump presidency is really so great that Breitbart must be destroyed in retaliation, then Hillary should be condemned as well. If the threat of a Trump presidency is small enough that Hillary shouldn't be condemned, then there's no reason to destroy Breitbart in response.
The threat of a Trump presidency has grown over time. Perhaps at the time that he was running for the republican nomination Hillary, like a great many other people, made the mistake of seeing him as having only a tiny chance of success. Now, however, the situation is different and his chances are seen as being higher than they were.

New information can allow us to reassess the odds of a particular event occurring, and that leads to a different assessment of the most reasonable course of action with respect to said event.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:09 PM   #93
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Isn't that exactly what the Breitbart guy and Trump would say Hillary is planning to do?
I think they say she wants to hand it over as a going concern to global special interests. Aka, women. A nightmare prospect, we can all agree.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:10 PM   #94
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Really? Putin is about to use tactical nukes in Syria, and you are worried about Breitbart?
You should be worried about something.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:13 PM   #95
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And yet, Hillary pushed for Trump to win the Republican nomination. If he's really such a threat to our very survival, what does that say about Hillary?
It says she expected an easy win against Trump. Can't fault that, as it transpires.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:15 PM   #96
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Period.

They are responsible for this.
Lol, hilarious.

If Trump is elected I'd like to see him do some different things with the press core and press room. Only conservative internet newsy's like Brietbart and others should be allowed.

No MSM types at all.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:25 PM   #97
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You obviously didn't pay attention to the "if" in my original question. It's important.
Indeed. And the premise isn't yours, of course.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:27 PM   #98
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
How exactly do you think one "democratically" destroys a private company?
Collective shunning. It's a bitch.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:35 PM   #99
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,398
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There were 3 names on that list, Trump being only one of them, clearly a preference for the most far right candidates.
Not that clear. Cruz is there because to know him is to hate him. Really, everybody loathes him five minutes from first contact. They had a barrel of crap on Trump, not all of which we've yet seen, I'll be bound. The other guy I dunno, probably dirt again. Closet commie. Scared of guns. Whatever.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:48 PM   #100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,848
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol, hilarious.

If Trump is elected I'd like to see him do some different things with the press core and press room. Only conservative internet newsy's like Brietbart and others should be allowed.

No MSM types at all.
That in fact would be dumb. One, it would seem petty to the world and two, would deprive him of the majority of media outlets. Didn't you see The Godfather? What does the Don tell Michael about how to deal with his enemies?

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 06:56 PM   #101
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol, hilarious.

If Trump is elected I'd like to see him do some different things with the press core and press room. Only conservative internet newsy's like Brietbart and others should be allowed.

No MSM types at all.
Poe.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 07:10 PM   #102
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Poe.
irony
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 07:49 PM   #103
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That in fact would be dumb. One, it would seem petty to the world and two, would deprive him of the majority of media outlets. Didn't you see The Godfather? What does the Don tell Michael about how to deal with his enemies?

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
For decades we've been treated with the same media bias that constantly undermines the republican. It serves no purpose to invite the left. Oh sure the libs will complain and stomp their feet, but who really cares.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:00 PM   #104
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,848
Originally Posted by logger View Post
For decades we've been treated with the same media bias that constantly undermines the republican. It serves no purpose to invite the left. Oh sure the libs will complain and stomp their feet, but who really cares.
You really have a bizarre sense of reality. Is that why Republicans have held the White House 20 of the last 36 years and have controlled most of Congress since 1994?

This idea of a liberal media has been and has aways been a farce. The overwhelming concern of the media is the same as all businesses and that is to make money. And they do that by selling advertising. And I'm sorry that Trump is not getting much positive coverage. But you can hardly blame the media for that. Sex sells and it sells pretty much better than anything else.

Say what you want about this election, the truth is Trump got the coverage he asked, no demanded. Every day he said something crazy, so Trump led the news. Whether it was Trump calling Mexicans rapists and suggesting that a judge of Mexican descent could not act fairly or calling for a ban on Muslims to suggesting that we torture suspects and kill their families. His followers loved that crap, the rest of us not so much.

Nobody made Trump attack a Gold Star family or mock a handicapped reporter. Nobody made him call Miss Universe Miss Piggy and Miss Housekeeping. Nobody forced him to say he could do anything including grabbing a woman's pussy.

But if you don't think that constitutes news, you should think again. What Republicans seem to want from the news is NOT the truth. They don't want to hear that climate change poses a serious threat to the planet or about other environmental hazzards. They close their eyes to evolution as well as the human nature of people different than them.

Please, tell me what is so appealing about a media that ignores the facts and only tells you what you want to hear.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:04 PM   #105
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,680
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The US might seriously benefit from a purely state- financed and run news outlet.
We could call in the Ministry of Truth.
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:14 PM   #106
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,244
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
"He" Bannon, or "it" Breitbart.
If "he" is Bannon, do "we"(whoever that is) need to destroy Bannon? Do we think the Mercers won't just upgrade Hannity v. 3.1 or Coulter, who'd love to have her mean-assed self a media empire.

Discredit Breitbart... as a source. If right-wing crazies want to read right-wing crazy news, that's up to them. I read it 'cuz I want to see what that element is up to. I also read The Conservative Tree House. And American Conservative. And Vdare. And watch Fox. And I'll watch Trumpbart Network when it comes along.

Rip 'em apart. I do whenever I get the chance. "Destroy them" figuratively by the strength of your logic and evidence of their lies or skullduggery.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:26 PM   #107
trvlr2
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Hillary's own campaign emails. She tried to pull a McCaskill/Akin. Was this not obvious even before the email leaked? It should have been.
I take it that you fervently bleeve that it is patently unfair to cheer when the opposition slots bumbling, orange nincompoops against you?

Something is really wrong with you, to think thusly.
__________________
Conservatives: Proud Major Supplier of turds to the National Punch Bowl since 1969.
Some people are living legends; Republicans are living lies...
trvlr2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:32 PM   #108
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
If "he" is Bannon, do "we"(whoever that is) need to destroy Bannon?
Not sure if your question is rhetorical or not. We need to ignore Bannon and his outlet.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:47 PM   #109
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by trvlr2 View Post
I take it that you fervently bleeve that it is patently unfair to cheer when the opposition slots bumbling, orange nincompoops against you?

Something is really wrong with you, to think thusly.
You have completely misunderstood my entire point.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:47 PM   #110
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,244
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Bannon is trying to get Trump elected. Is it your contention that Trump, if elected, would destroy the country?
Pretty close to it. If not him, then the next one, because.... witness the below post.

When Trump trashes the economy, stacks the Supreme Court, gets us into a five-sided shooting war with anyone who pisses him off and achieves zero to "bring back the imaginary America the paleos dream of", do you think they're going to say "Well, it was a good fight, but I guess we should return to some nominally sane policies and stop fighting progress." Not a chance.

Again, lookit the below. The anti-Americans on the right will continue their mantra, "Well, he wasn't right wing/authoritarian enough. Maybe we need to try what General Coulter is suggesting. We need us a benevolent dictator who won't broke interference from these softies."

This election is the chance to halt this movement in its tracks. Let the crazies bunker down for the coming Armageddon. Return the GOP to sanity-based politics instead of promoting fear and hatred.

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol, hilarious.

If Trump is elected I'd like to see him do some different things with the press core and press room. Only conservative internet newsy's like Brietbart and others should be allowed.

No MSM types at all.
Thank you for the educational opportunity. Are you sure simply banning them is sufficient. You should examine the system here. The press is free to operate and report on everything... as long as their owners sign-off in their license applications on a loyalty pledge to not criticize the king, queen, princes, princesses, their friends, the military, the police, or whatever the PM and his ruling junta deem to be of importance to "bringing happiness to the people".
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:52 PM   #111
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Trump causes me to fear depression, concentration camps
Concentration camps? Seriously? Yeah, that's not a rational fear. And I can't reason you out of it, because you weren't reasoned into it.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 09:53 PM   #112
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Pretty close to it. If not him, then the next one, because.... witness the below post.
Argument by internet troll? Yeah, that's not even slightly convincing.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 10:07 PM   #113
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Collective shunning. It's a bitch.
Provided it's voluntary, that sounds more like a free market destruction than a democratic destruction, though I suppose this is a semantic objection. But in any case, it's unlikely to work any better than the Hobby Lobby or Chick fil-A boycott attempts.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 10:07 PM   #114
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,097
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Concentration camps? Seriously? Yeah, that's not a rational fear. And I can't reason you out of it, because you weren't reasoned into it.
Not a rational fear? Why? Simply because he isn't arguing for it now? He's inflaming his base. How do I know where it will stop? It's a rational fear when I already know he's inflamed a racist base larger than I thought possible. As I pointed out I don't consider those things to be guarantees, but I consider them worth consideration and worth preventing. In the face of evidence that the population has responded to racist demagogue more than I would have thought possible, how is it not rational to fear that I might be even more wrong than I suspected?

And you were claiming that Hillary, working against Trump, is somehow equivalent to Bannon/Breitbart working for Trump. Get back to the rationality of that please.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 15th October 2016 at 10:22 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 10:29 PM   #115
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,244
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Argument by internet troll? Yeah, that's not even slightly convincing.
Trolls, plural. Thousands and thousands of them, perhaps representing millions of deplorables (that half of Trump's supporters who qualify represents about thirty million).
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2016, 10:30 PM   #116
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,778
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
In a thread you started entitled "Breitbart MUST be destroyed," you're concerned that Trump is going to muzzle the press?
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
They're the press?
Hahaha

Uh. No.

Brainster's right here, NoahFence. In advocating for the "execution" of a news organization that you perceive to be a danger, you're behaving no better than Trump.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 12:24 AM   #117
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,621
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Period.

They are responsible for this.
I think this is on top of Rupert Murdock's list of things to do after the election.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 05:36 AM   #118
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,893
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Not a rational fear? Why? Simply because he isn't arguing for it now?
That's part of it, yes.

Quote:
He's inflaming his base. How do I know where it will stop?
All politicians inflame their base. It's how the game works. Why is Trump fundamentally different? Because this time you don't like his base?

Quote:
It's a rational fear when I already know he's inflamed a racist base larger than I thought possible.
Uh, no, that doesn't make it rational. That just means you don't understand the situation. And that's precisely the circumstances under which you are most likely to make irrational assumptions.

Quote:
As I pointed out I don't consider those things to be guarantees, but I consider them worth consideration and worth preventing.
And yet, Hillary thought they were worth risking in order to further her personal ambition.

Quote:
In the face of evidence that the population has responded to racist demagogue more than I would have thought possible, how is it not rational to fear that I might be even more wrong than I suspected?
Because most people haven't responded in this manner. Plus, even more importantly, the state hasn't responded in this manner. Trump cannot ultimately do what he wants to do. Congress isn't really with him (and won't be even if it stays Republican), his base isn't influential with the rest of the populace (what happens in the urban centers affects the rest of the country, but not much the other way around), and the bureaucracy of government is actively hostile to him. Government employees are going to try to thwart him even on the normal stuff. A rational examination of the issue shows that, above all, Trump is likely to be an ineffective president.

Quote:
And you were claiming that Hillary, working against Trump
But she wasn't. That's the point. In the primaries, she was helping him.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 05:50 AM   #119
Frank Newgent
Philosopher
 
Frank Newgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,560
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
A rational examination of the issue shows that, above all, Trump is likely to be an ineffective president.

That's a novel reason to... uh, what is it you want him to do?
__________________
Disturbances of the semantic reactions in connection with faulty education and ignorance must be considered as sub-microscopic colloidal lesions - Alfred O. Korzybski
Frank Newgent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 07:04 AM   #120
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9,042
If you consider Trump's personality, things could get very ugly if all of this plans are thwarted by Congress: he might do some serious off-the-reservation executive orders, just to prove to himself and the world that he is in charge of something...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.