ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ivanka Trump

Old 12th July 2017, 09:27 AM   #121
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
A formal selection process would be nice.

President Trump went through a formal selection process. Even though I personally consider him to be woefully unsuitable to be President, enough of the US electorate thought he was suitable for him to win the electoral college.

Members of the cabinet are scrutinised by the Senate, another formal process. Less senior members of the administration (if any are eventually appointed) are subject to formal scrutiny in post.
But how much of the government itself is put through a formal selection process? And it's hard to argue that Ivanka Trump is not subject to scrutiny in post as are all the positions that are appointed without formal selection by and serve at the pleasure of the President.

Bill Clinton appointed his wife to work on healthcare -an area she had no experience in and was not formally selected for. Donald Trump appointed his daughter to advise him on various matters that she probably has very little experience in. Other Presidents have appointed family members to their personal staff. It isn't unusual or even particularly noteworthy.

I'm thinking that if Clinton had been elected and Chelsea had taken on a similar advisory role in the Administration, the Repubs would certainly be up in arms about it but many of the people complaining now would be pretty silent. The news might have reported a light-hearted story, "Chelsea keeps seat warm for Momma," rather than the big deal about optics and "Queen Ivanka," we have today.
Old 12th July 2017, 09:44 AM   #122
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
But how much of the government itself is put through a formal selection process?
People in the government can be:
- Elected (president, senator, etc.)
- Nominated and then confirmed by a possibly adversarial process
- Unelected, but their position is usually dictated by their abilities and length of time in government (A newbie may work as a secretary, and only after toiling in the civil service for a decade and illustrating their competence would they end up in a position of authority)

All of those provide a way to ensure those representing us are either competent or represent the views of the electorate.

It doesn't mean someone can't rise to power through some alternative means, but there better be some darn good reason for it.

Quote:
Bill Clinton appointed his wife to work on healthcare -an area she had no experience in and was not formally selected for.
Once again... she wasn't an expert in health care, but she had both a legal and government background that would have been relevant.

Had Hillary not married Bill, she might have been a successful politician in her own right.

Quote:
I'm thinking that if Clinton had been elected and Chelsea had taken on a similar advisory role in the Administration, the Repubs would certainly be up in arms about it but many of the people complaining now would be pretty silent. The news might have reported a light-hearted story, "Chelsea keeps seat warm for Momma," rather than the big deal about optics and "Queen Ivanka," we have today.
But that's the thing... You can claim all you want that "If the Democrats did X", but the thing is you haven't established that yes indeed the Democrats WOULD have done X.

Right now, Chelsea Clinton has a degree in Public Health. If she took over a seat when they were discussing health issues, it might actually make sense, because she at least has the educational background for it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 09:49 AM   #123
carrps
Thinker

Everybody says Ivanka is the smart one, and I never doubted it, but I never paid much attention to her, either. Now that I've heard her speak a number of times, I'm impressed ..... by how vapid she is. One of the those empty suit (empty dress?) types who can spew the jargon without really saying anything. She honestly impresses me as a slightly more mature version of that infamous Miss Teen South Carolina contestant.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 10:03 AM   #124
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Quote:
Ivanka: BA in business (perhaps would be relevant if she were sitting in on some meeting about economics; less relevant when at a meeting dealing with issues of health)
Like it or not, economics has at least as much relevance in medical care as law and medicine is a business even in nations with more universal coverage than the US.
I believe they were discussing issues of medical care and migration in Africa, a subject that her business degree would be irrelevant for.

Quote:
Quote:
Hillary: Extensive exposure to dealing with government programs when bill was gov. (Ok, she wasn't "in charge" but she at least had an insiders view about how legislation gets put together.)

Hillary may have been involved because of her relationship to the president, but she was still fairly qualified.
So that's an argument for nepotism and aristocracy. She was qualified to be in government because she was closely related to someone else who was in government.
She was qualified in part because she had a law degree, wrote important papers regarding family law, and worked for politicians like Carter. (All this happened before Clinton was elected governor.) If she had no other relevant experience, that would have been enough to justify her involvement in heath care legislation.

She may have been selected due to her relationship with Bill clinton, but she was still pretty well qualified even without that.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 10:10 AM   #125
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Everybody says Ivanka is the smart one, and I never doubted it, but I never paid much attention to her, either. Now that I've heard her speak a number of times, I'm impressed ..... by how vapid she is.
Keep in mind that Ivanka is also the one who doesn't know what the word "complicit" means.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/04/politi...cit/index.html

Granted, she's a business woman rather than a language expert. Still, it does seem like a pretty basic word that she should know.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th July 2017, 10:14 AM   #126
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump is a "newbie". Its regularly used as an excuse for his mess-ups.
I'm ok with that. I expect a newbie to make some mistakes and not do things the way people expect them to be done. It's a feature, not a bug.

Quote:
Lets see:
- Law degree and experience as a civil rights lawyer (not necessarily "inside the government", but at least provided familiarity with the constitution, something useful to the job of being president.)
You can say that many fields would be "something useful to the job of being president."
Quote:
- Over half a decade as a state senator (this included serving on several committees)
- U.S. senator for 1 term (where he served on committees for Foreign Relations, public works and the environment)
So, he had been working in government at both the state and federal level for over a decade, as well as exposure to both foreign policy and internal policy matters.
Yes, he had some political experience. But most latter-day Presidents have had much more high-level political experience, having been governors, Vice Presidents, long-term congressmen, etc. Obama was a relative newbie. You have to go back to JFK to find another like him in recent memory. Which just goes to show the power of political newbies...

Quote:
Is she? Or did she just happen to get lucky being born into the right family?
The two are not mutually exclusive. She's a smart woman (Have you seen her speak? Do you know anything about her?) who was born into the right family. JFK was a smart man who was born into the right family . . .

Quote:
Maybe she's a super-genius, but we don't really have enough information to go on.
Well, I didn't say that . . . but observing her public life gives enough evidence that she isn't a "bimbo," as many here have stated and is actually very articulate and intelligent.

Quote:
She worked for Trump (and, should I remind you, Trump's businesses are far from booming, what with the multiple bankruptcies and other failures.) And she does has her own line of jewelry/clothing, which probably says more about her ability to market herself than it does about her business abilities.
The Trump Organization has had some great success along with the failures. And despite the political fallout to her own business, she has managed to be pretty successful in a competitive segment.

Quote:
There are multiple levels of government, and the government needs large numbers of civil servants (both long-term and appointed) to function properly. You don't need an isolated "political class", but it doesn't seem to be too extreme to suggest that having some exposure to working within a government framework might be beneficial.
Sure. I do also agree that the "civil servants" who actually run the various government agencies need experience in their relevant fields. But the President and his/her advisors? I think many fields of endeavor would qualify a person to be President, Congressperson, etc. These kinds of elected offices are what I would like to see have more turnover.

Quote:
Heck, even if they had no government experience, an educational background in some relevant field would be beneficial.
But not business? Business is an important part of the American economy and business people also have a background in how the law/government intersects with business. Especially someone who has been part of a major organization that regular interacts with the government.

Quote:
There are benefits and drawbacks to the "non-politician leader".

There are certain rules (protocols, constitutional power limits, etc.) within government. Your non-politician coming from a non-politics background may have trouble navigating in that environment. They may either propose things that can't be done, or run the risk of falling victim to manipulation.
True, but I don't think those are disqualifying factors.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:29 AM   #127
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Which should you make pause and think. If true, it means that the current POTUS* is irrelevant to the rest of the most powerful countries. Imagine what they know from intelligence, and what all this implies to the internal state of this 'administration'.
I'd say that is already a given.

The overwhelming view of Trump outside USA was the one summed up perfectly by Chris Uhlmann.

All respect for the White House has disappeared and I'd say the Euro opinion on whether DT or QI sat in the seat, they didn't give a toss, because nothing said by either would be relevant or considered. Macron & Merkel make their attitudes exceedingly clear.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:32 AM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
He put an arkansas lawyer in charge of basically secrete meetings
That is disgusting.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 01:51 PM   #129
xjx388
Philosopher

People in the government can be:
- Elected (president, senator, etc.)
- Nominated and then confirmed by a possibly adversarial process
- Unelected, but their position is usually dictated by their abilities and length of time in government (A newbie may work as a secretary, and only after toiling in the civil service for a decade and illustrating their competence would they end up in a position of authority)

All of those provide a way to ensure those representing us are either competent or represent the views of the electorate.

It doesn't mean someone can't rise to power through some alternative means, but there better be some darn good reason for it.
What other means is there to rise to power? A coup? No. There are no barriers to entering the political/public-service realm other than the ability to garner enough support to do so. I wish more people tried to do so. I've often thought about running locally and I still might.

Quote:
Once again... she wasn't an expert in health care, but she had both a legal and government background that would have been relevant.
OK, but so many people argue against certain Trump cabinet picks as being inexperience or unqualified for the job -DeVos, for example. She has a lot of experience politically advocating for school choice, "community organizing," if you will. She also has business experience and experience in philanthropy and other political realms -notably, as chair of the Michigan Republican Party. If Hillary Clinton's law degree qualifies her to work on health care law, then why doesn't DeVos's years of business, political experience and activism qualify her? Because it isn't the "right kind" of activism, perhaps?

Quote:
Had Hillary not married Bill, she might have been a successful politician in her own right.
It's funny that you make this conjecture then follow it with:

Quote:
But that's the thing... You can claim all you want that "If the Democrats did X", but the thing is you haven't established that yes indeed the Democrats WOULD have done X.
You are right. Neither of us can establish that Clinton would have run/the Dems wouldn't be complaining. However, both of us can examine the history and available evidence and come to a conclusion.

Quote:
Right now, Chelsea Clinton has a degree in Public Health. If she took over a seat when they were discussing health issues, it might actually make sense, because she at least has the educational background for it.
Sure. And Ivanka Trump has her own education, experience and intelligence which gives her a base from which to advise the President on various issues.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:36 PM   #130
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sure. And Ivanka Trump has her own education, experience and intelligence which gives her a base from which to advise the President on various issues.
Gosh, I bet you say that without wincing at how absurd it is.

Ivanka is only able to offer the current POTUS anything because he's intellectually feeble - a brain the size of a pea, which is why he talks in three word slogans and Tweets in 14 characters. Incapable of thought.

I agree at least she's a lot smarter than that, but in terms of international experience, qualifications and "nous", I'd rate my 8 yo higher than her.
Old 12th July 2017, 06:08 PM   #131
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Let's be nice to her. This stupid, bimbo is the smartest person in the group of idiots that make up The Hair's inner circle. She may be the only person who can take the silver spoon out of her mouth and save the country from the stupidity of her father and the fools around him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 12:47 PM   #132
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump is a "newbie". Its regularly used as an excuse for his mess-ups.
I'm ok with that. I expect a newbie to make some mistakes and not do things the way people expect them to be done. It's a feature, not a bug.
No, its a huge bug.

Trump has been in office roughly half a year, and in that time he has thrashed around, proposing things that were possibly unconstitutional , alienating allies, and showing an ignorance about how congress works. Even if he manages to learn from his mistakes (something that we see no evidence for), it will take time to fix the problems he's already made. Given the fact that a presidential term is only 4 years (and part of that is when they are in "lame duck" mode), he's basically wasted almost a quarter of the time he could have been implementing his agenda.

The only bright side is that his agenda is idiotic and harmful to the U.S., so its good that it gets delayed. But if he were actually competent, then wasting a quarter of his time in office would be considered a problem.

Quote:
Quote:
- Law degree and experience as a civil rights lawyer (not necessarily "inside the government", but at least provided familiarity with the constitution, something useful to the job of being president.)
You can say that many fields would be "something useful to the job of being president."
Yes, but in this case its actually true.

Should seem rather obvious... knowledge of the law is useful in drafting new laws.

Knowledge of how to market the Trump brand is less useful in examining health care and migration patterns in Africa.
Quote:
Yes, he had some political experience. But most latter-day Presidents have had much more high-level political experience, having been governors, Vice Presidents, long-term congressmen, etc. Obama was a relative newbie.
A decade+ of legislative experience, combined with years of legal studies and community organizations does not make someone a "newbie".

Quote:
Re: Ivanka being "smart"...
Is she? Or did she just happen to get lucky being born into the right family?
The two are not mutually exclusive.[/quote]
No they aren't. But being born into a wealthy family can easily hide the fact that a person is incompetent. Just look at Trump. If he wasn't born into a wealthy family he would be flipping burgers at McDonalds.
Quote:
She's a smart woman
No, she's not. And regardless of the number of times you claim it, it will not make it true.
Quote:
(Have you seen her speak? Do you know anything about her?)
Yes, I have seen her speak. She doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in her abilities.

Here's a woman who didn't know what the word 'complicit' meant, and while yes, perhaps she's not a language expert, she was given plenty of context to know what was meant. Here's a woman who suggested she "influenced her father's policies" but couldn't pick one area where she actually did so. (If she were smarter, she would have at least had canned answers to the question.)

Quote:
The Trump Organization has had some great success along with the failures.
No, it hasn't.

There have been studies done with point out that, had Trump simply taken money he inherited from his father and dumped it in an index fund, he would be much wealthier than he is now. But thanks to all his wheeling and dealing, he ended up having less money than he could have had. That's not the sign of a successful business person or successful company.

And Ivanka is part of that.

Sure. I do also agree that the "civil servants" who actually run the various government agencies need experience in their relevant fields. But the President and his/her advisors? I think many fields of endeavor would qualify a person to be President, Congressperson, etc. These kinds of elected offices are what I would like to see have more turnover.

Quote:
But not business? Business is an important part of the American economy and business people also have a background in how the law/government intersects with business. Especially someone who has been part of a major organization that regular interacts with the government.
Simply being "part of" a major organization that interacts with the government does not make a person an expert.

And, need I remind you that the discussions Ivanka was sitting in on had nothing to do with American business. It was about social issues in Africa, in which case experience with American business practices is pretty well useless.

Quote:
Quote:
There are benefits and drawbacks to the "non-politician leader".

There are certain rules (protocols, constitutional power limits, etc.) within government. Your non-politician coming from a non-politics background may have trouble navigating in that environment. They may either propose things that can't be done, or run the risk of falling victim to manipulation.
True, but I don't think those are disqualifying factors.
[/quote]
They may not totally disqualify a non-politician from becoming a government leader, but in order to overcome those drawbacks they better have some really great skills/abilities that would allow us to overlook those problems.

Trump does not have those great abilities. He doesn't bring a lot of business skill (his companies have done worse than stock indexes on average), knowledge of other countries, negotiating skill (he's more of a bully than a negotiator), science knowledge, or integrity. He's a mediocre business man with multiple bankruptcies who's only skill seems to be conning people and marketing himself. Those are skills more in tune with being a barker at a carnival sideshow than a political leader. And it appears that Ivanka falls into the same mold, with perhaps the only main difference being a modicum of self-control (which doesn't so much make her special in any way, just closer to average.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th July 2017, 02:22 PM   #133
xjx388
Philosopher

No, its a huge bug.

Trump has been in office roughly half a year, and in that time he has thrashed around, proposing things that were possibly unconstitutional , alienating allies, and showing an ignorance about how congress works. Even if he manages to learn from his mistakes (something that we see no evidence for), it will take time to fix the problems he's already made. Given the fact that a presidential term is only 4 years (and part of that is when they are in "lame duck" mode), he's basically wasted almost a quarter of the time he could have been implementing his agenda.

The only bright side is that his agenda is idiotic and harmful to the U.S., so its good that it gets delayed. But if he were actually competent, then wasting a quarter of his time in office would be considered a problem.
Well, this is your opinion and I mostly disagree. You are seeing things through anti-Trump glasses. That's fine but don't sell your opinion as if it in any way reflected the Truth.
Quote:
Yes, but in this case its actually true.

Should seem rather obvious... knowledge of the law is useful in drafting new laws.
Sure, if she was drafting laws about the law. I keep hearing how it's important to have experts in the field be in charge of coming up with law about the field but apparently not in Hillary's case...

Quote:
Knowledge of how to market the Trump brand is less useful in examining health care and migration patterns in Africa.
If you think that the only experience Trump and his daughter has is in how to market the Trump brand . . . well, all I can say is that's an extremely biased opinion. I understand that you aren't willing to give any credit to them but you should be aware that extreme bias doesn't lend itself well to rational debate.

Quote:
A decade+ of legislative experience, combined with years of legal studies and community organizations does not make someone a "newbie".
But it does make them a "relative newbie," when compared to most other Presidents in recent memory.

Quote:
No they aren't. But being born into a wealthy family can easily hide the fact that a person is incompetent. Just look at Trump. If he wasn't born into a wealthy family he would be flipping burgers at McDonalds.
Again, I understand your bias against the Trump's but it doesn't make for a good argument.

Quote:
No, she's not. And regardless of the number of times you claim it, it will not make it true.
And vice versa. She graduated cum laude from Wharton, so at least there's evidence that she got through a well-regarded program. To say she isn't smart is, yet again, just your own bias against the Trumps shining through.

Quote:
Yes, I have seen her speak. She doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in her abilities.

Here's a woman who didn't know what the word 'complicit' meant, and while yes, perhaps she's not a language expert, she was given plenty of context to know what was meant. Here's a woman who suggested she "influenced her father's policies" but couldn't pick one area where she actually did so. (If she were smarter, she would have at least had canned answers to the question.)
You'll have to link to what you are referring to. Her influence on her father has been pretty obvious from my view.
Quote:
No, it hasn't.

There have been studies done with point out that, had Trump simply taken money he inherited from his father and dumped it in an index fund, he would be much wealthier than he is now. But thanks to all his wheeling and dealing, he ended up having less money than he could have had. That's not the sign of a successful business person or successful company.

And Ivanka is part of that.
That criticism is likely true of just about any business owner. Again, surprise, bias.

Quote:
Simply being "part of" a major organization that interacts with the government does not make a person an expert.
OK, but simply being a lawyer does not make that person an expert on crafting laws -especially fields in which they have no experience in.
Quote:
And, need I remind you that the discussions Ivanka was sitting in on had nothing to do with American business. It was about social issues in Africa, in which case experience with American business practices is pretty well useless.
In that case, no one in that room had any business sitting in any of those chairs because none of them are experts in African social issues. I think that's a ridiculous line of argument -that only people who are experts can have an informed opinion about a particular field. The government would never work in that scenario.

Quote:
They may not totally disqualify a non-politician from becoming a government leader, but in order to overcome those drawbacks they better have some really great skills/abilities that would allow us to overlook those problems.

Trump does not have those great abilities. He doesn't bring a lot of business skill (his companies have done worse than stock indexes on average), knowledge of other countries, negotiating skill (he's more of a bully than a negotiator), science knowledge, or integrity. He's a mediocre business man with multiple bankruptcies who's only skill seems to be conning people and marketing himself. Those are skills more in tune with being a barker at a carnival sideshow than a political leader. And it appears that Ivanka falls into the same mold, with perhaps the only main difference being a modicum of self-control (which doesn't so much make her special in any way, just closer to average.)
Again, bias alert.

Last edited by xjx388; 13th July 2017 at 02:23 PM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 02:52 PM   #134
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Your imaginary scenario supposes that Clinton wouldn't be aware that the pre-Trump convention was that a Cabinet Secretary would occupy the seat in the president's absence, and of course Tillerson was there. I'd bet that more than one G19 member felt insulted (again) that Trump thought so little of the discussion. But hey, Trump's almighty 35% base likes that America First stuff, so **** 'em -- we don't need allies because Trump is gonna make America great again like it's never been before.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:43 PM   #135
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh no! Not the pre-Trump convention! Now that's out the window, we're all ********** for sure!

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:53 PM   #136
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Oh no! Not the pre-Trump convention! Now that's out the window, we're all ********** for sure! .
Finally, we agree on something.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 04:08 PM   #137
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Finally, we agree on something.
That the anti-Trump left just can't stop beclowning itself with ever sillier an overblown attempts at manufactured outrage?

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 04:27 PM   #138
NoahFence
Banned

That the anti-Trump left just can't stop beclowning itself with ever sillier an overblown attempts at manufactured outrage?

you realize that all this fake news stuff is real?

You're in for a rude awakening. I hope you people chill when the hammer falls.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 04:30 PM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
you realize that all this fake news stuff is real?

You're in for a rude awakening. I hope you people chill when the hammer falls.
First, what fake news? Point out the fake news in this thread.

Second, would that be the hammer of leftist violence?

Old 14th July 2017, 04:35 PM   #140
NoahFence
Banned

First, what fake news? Point out the fake news in this thread.

Second, would that be the hammer of leftist violence?

Well everything anti Trump is fake news to you people, so there's that. And you know damn well what hammer I'm talking about.

Your hero is going down when this is all done. Not by violence, but by the law.

Although I wouldn't weep if I heard of Donnie or his spawn getting their share of violence in jail. I'd love it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 05:25 PM   #141
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Well everything anti Trump is fake news to you people, so there's that.
Show me anywhere in this thread where anyone has claimed "fake news". Besides you, I mean.

Quote:
And you know damn well what hammer I'm talking about. Your hero is going down when this is all done. Not by violence, but by the law.
Now that progs have started shooting people in the streets because of their politics, I feel it's best to make sure. So this "hammer" of yours is figurative? Like the NRA "fist of truth"?

Quote:
Although I wouldn't weep if I heard of Donnie or his spawn getting their share of violence in jail. I'd love it.
Because prison violence is just another kind of justice to you people.
Old 14th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #142
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Where are all the progressive motivated shootings happening? It appears to me that there were only a few isolated cases. Compared to right wing violence, it's insignificant.

What do you mean by "you people"?!
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 14th July 2017 at 06:03 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:04 PM   #143
logger
Banned

I'd be nice to have a dollar every time some nobody from the left tears down a wildly successful person like Ivanka Trump.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:18 PM   #144
GraculusTheGreenBird
Thinker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I'd be nice to have a dollar every time some nobody from the left tears down a wildly successful person like Ivanka Trump.
I thought conservatives didn't like handouts?
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:27 PM   #145
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
Well, it's only a fantasy of mine. Getting paid every time a liberal said something stupid would interesting and quite profitable.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:59 PM   #146
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
No, they don't mind when one of theirs is on the receiving end.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 08:19 PM   #147
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Especially the billionares because it all is trickled down....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 01:19 AM   #148
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
There have been studies done with point out that, had Trump simply taken money he inherited from his father and dumped it in an index fund, he would be much wealthier than he is now.
We could then also verify the amount of his wealth. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to do that now - at least not if you don't want to be sued by Trump.

Verifying the wealth of guys like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison or Mark Zuckerberg (none of whom got it by way of inheritance) is trivially easy by comparison, since it consists mainly of listed securities.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:27 AM   #149
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
According to your side an argument can be made that everyone is on the receiving end.

But once again the thread is about what a loser bimbo Ivanka Trump is. Which is SOP to leftists when it comes to strong successful women.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:10 AM   #150
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like the Queen Ivanka plan is working nicely. Some think she's already holding the reins.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...he-already-is-
Old 7th January 2018, 02:10 PM   #151
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Looks like the Queen Ivanka plan is working nicely. Some think she's already holding the reins.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...he-already-is-
Quote:
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are quite the adorable pair, arenít they? Their relationship is truly something to aspire to. While other couples spend their evenings eating dinner and watching TV, Javanka, it would appear, bond over intimate strategy sessions where they draw up detailed plans for world domination.
That is as far as I got - no thanks. Just more opinions, name calling and crying - just like here at ISF. I can read the same junk right here.
Old 10th January 2018, 02:54 AM   #152
dann
Philosopher

The official photo in this piece, released by the Japanese gov't shows The King, The Queen and her Prince Consort Kushner + no sign of the trophy wife or puppies.

I love the photo, but where are the puppies?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 12:35 PM   #153
fuelair
Banned

Keep in mind that Ivanka is also the one who doesn't know what the word "complicit" means.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/04/politi...cit/index.html

Granted, she's a business woman rather than a language expert. Still, it does seem like a pretty basic word that she should know.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 9.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th January 2018 at 11:15 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 10:59 PM   #154
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oh damn, I'm sorry I missed that before it was snipped out!
Old 15th January 2018, 12:01 AM   #155
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is a n00b, not a newbie: he has been running organizations all his life and he had now two years of opportunities to learn how to be president, security briefings included. He could have learned most of what he didn't know if he had any inclination to do so: all of US intelligence is a phone call away for him.
The fact that he still knows less than most highschool seniors shows that he can't or doesn't want to learn.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 02:59 AM   #156
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/953831861972815873

Quote:
On the left, countries Ivanka has visited as a White House official. On the right, countries she visited where her company does business.
You'll have to visit the link to see the graphic. Spoiler: The two lists are identical.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:22 AM   #157
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
On the left, countries Ivanka has visited as a White House official. On the right, countries she visited where her company does business.

You'll have to visit the link to see the graphic. Spoiler: The two lists are identical.
I'm sure its just a coincidence.

Look! Hillary's emails!

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th February 2018, 10:31 PM   #158
fuelair
Banned

Oh damn, I'm sorry I missed that before it was snipped out!
I would happily PM it to you but I do not remember what I wrote - but I know it was both accurate and funny!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 01:27 AM   #159
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hey, this chick's been reading my thread!

Quote:
Old 26th March 2019, 04:44 PM   #160
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Did that article refer to Melania as Ivanka's mother in law? That would make Melania Jared's mother, not Ivanka's.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics