ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Those who rely on Obamacare 41 46.07%
Those living near the border who may loose their homes due to the wall 14 15.73%
Those concerned about internet privacy 10 11.24%
Those with friends/relatives who were affected by immigration policies 22 24.72%
Other 37 41.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th April 2018, 08:24 AM   #161
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Thread bump.... got a new group of Trump supporters who are now complaining about how they have been negatively affected by Trump:

Farmers (many of whom were Trump supporters) who are complaining about depressed agricultural prices due to Trump's trade war:

From: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ers/475963002/
In Sioux County, where swine barns interrupt the vast landscape of corn-stubbled fields, exports of meat, grain and machinery fuel the local economy. And there's a palpable sense of unease that new Chinese tariffs pushed by President Donald Trump — who received more than 80 percent of the vote here in 2016 — could threaten residents' livelihood.
Brad Te Grootenhuis sells about 25,000 hogs a year and could lose hundreds of thousands of dollars if the tariffs spark a backlash from China.

Don't worry... I'm sure that if he ends up going bankrupt due to Trump's trade war, he can continue to rely on Obamacare to keep him healthy.

Oh, wait...

Well, maybe he can get a job as a coal miner.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2018, 09:02 AM   #162
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Thread bump.... got a new group of Trump supporters who are now complaining about how they have been negatively affected by Trump:

Farmers (many of whom were Trump supporters) who are complaining about depressed agricultural prices due to Trump's trade war:

In Sioux County, where swine barns interrupt the vast landscape of corn-stubbled fields, exports of meat, grain and machinery fuel the local economy. And there's a palpable sense of unease that new Chinese tariffs pushed by President Donald Trump — who received more than 80 percent of the vote here in 2016 — could threaten residents' livelihood.
Brad Te Grootenhuis sells about 25,000 hogs a year and could lose hundreds of thousands of dollars if the tariffs spark a backlash from China.

Don't worry... I'm sure that if he ends up going bankrupt due to Trump's trade war, he can continue to rely on Obamacare to keep him healthy.

Oh, wait...

At least his heirs won't have to pay the death tax on his (bankrupt) business.
Old 6th April 2018, 09:01 PM   #163
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Other- none of them. I don't feel sympathy for any of them. They knew what they were signing up for. I know one person who voted Trump, and he regrets it. I don't even him ask why because I can't manage to care.

Are we still winning?!
All I know is republickers are whining in their biers and I do not give a ******!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2018, 09:05 PM   #164
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The Trump supporters I have the least sympathy for are the ones who are not at any risk of losing their health insurance, their jobs, or their retirements.

I have a ton of sympathy for those who are going to get screwed from voting for Trump. They were victims of a con-man and they are going to suffer.
I can't bring myself to except for the concern for their children!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2018, 09:14 PM   #165
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I cannot single out any group of Trump supporters to have less sympathy for than others. I have no sympathy for any of them. They can all go suck a lit stick of dynamite for all I care.
Or ride one if you get my drift and I think you do!!!!!
Old 6th April 2018, 09:19 PM   #166
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I marvel at the constant attempts to frame conservatism as "the mainstream" and liberalism as something wacky, minority, and out-of-touch. Surely the closeness of the recent elections should be a clue that "the mainstream" isn't the bailiwick of the Republican party.
An important point that would not be one if the Electoral College worked fairly or we dropped it for straight voting.
Old 6th April 2018, 09:21 PM   #167
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
At least his heirs won't have to pay the death tax on his (bankrupt) business.
Gotta look at that silver lining!
They might get to live the high life as welfare bums now, too.
Old 6th April 2018, 09:21 PM   #168
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I feel the need to reiterate.

They are still humans who just made a bad decision. Frankly, we're going to have to come together to keep Trump under control (or, better, remove him from control).
Don't need those last two words.....................
Old 9th April 2018, 12:24 PM   #169
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I'm totally grooving on the hate-fest here. It's really cathartic. I mean, it definitely provides a balm in the way of moral vengeance for that loss that we suffered in the last election...
Old 9th April 2018, 12:34 PM   #170
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm totally grooving on the hate-fest here. It's really cathartic. I mean, it definitely provides a balm in the way of moral vengeance for that loss that we suffered in the last election...
I actually think that's the way schadenfreude really does work, in part at least.
Old 9th April 2018, 12:39 PM   #171
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Those who voted for Trump expected that he would **** over millions of people. They didn't expect they'd be among them. No sympathy. Eff 'em!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 05:04 PM   #172
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Those who voted for Trump expected that he would **** over millions of people. They didn't expect they'd be among them. No sympathy. Eff 'em!
Lol

Those who voted for Trump weren’t expecting him to **** over anyone. They wanted their country back.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 05:40 PM   #173
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol

They wanted their country back.
So they....handed the reins to a well known fraud and BS artist?

Sure. Seems legit.

Lol
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 05:46 PM   #174
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post

Sure. Seems legit.

Lol
No, they handed the reins to well known success. Sadly he does not understand his political enemies and what they will stoop to.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 05:58 PM   #175
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. Seems legit.

Lol
The president of doesn't hold the reins of the country.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 06:12 PM   #176
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Lol

Those who voted for Trump weren’t expecting him to **** over anyone. They wanted their country back.
Their country? What the hell does that mean? It never was just 'their country'. It also belongs to African-Americans, Native Americans, Gays, Lesbians, Atheists, Jewish people, people who live in the cities and the suburbs, the middle class, the poor, union members.

Their country back.?..

You mean the good old days when a black man was equal to 3/5ths of a white person? Or when women couldn't vote? Or when homosexuality was an abomination?

Out of curiosity who's country is it? Does it belong to the coal companies? The banks? The for profit prison companies? The insurance companies? The banks? The polluters? Or just anyone funneling money to Trump?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 06:15 PM   #177
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Their country? What the hell does that mean? It never was just 'their country'. It also belongs to African-Americans, Native Americans, Gays, Lesbians, Atheists, Jewish people, people who live in the cities and the suburbs, the middle class, the poor, union members.

Their country back.?..

You mean the good old days when a black man was equal to 3/5ths of a white person? Or when women couldn't vote? Or when homosexuality was an abomination?

Out of curiosity who's country is it? Does it belong to the coal companies? The banks? The for profit prison companies? The insurance companies? The banks? The polluters? Or just anyone funneling money to Trump?
Actually, I never mentioned any group, that was you.
Old 9th April 2018, 06:22 PM   #178
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, who DID they want it back from? Be specific.
Old 9th April 2018, 06:22 PM   #179
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Their country back.?..

No, I think he means the country only belongs to those that aren't "liberals" or "establishment", even though Trump is about as Establishment as it comes (heck, anyone who benefits from eminent domain is).
Old 9th April 2018, 06:30 PM   #180
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You suggested that 'they' wanted their country back? Who is they? Was it African-Americans? Was it city dwellers? I don't think so. Who 'lost' their country? Because I sure as hell don't think I lost my country. I never ever felt it was mine. And I sure as hell don't think Trump is giving it back to the people. So who is they?

Trump said he was going to drain the swamp. And after Obama said he wasn't going to work with the for profit prisons, Trump handed it back to them. And they set up shop at Trump Doral. Hmmm coincidence?

Who does the country belong to Logger?
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 07:12 PM   #181
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

No, they handed the reins to well known success.
Repeated bankruptcies aren't my idea of "success", but it's your prerogative to vote for who you want to vote for. Lol
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2018, 07:15 PM   #182
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You do realize that's a metaphor, right?

And as a metaphor for guiding the direction the country heads in, it's perfectly appropriate.

If you're reading any more into it than that, you're being needlessly pedantic.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:15 PM   #183
logger
Banned

You suggested that 'they' wanted their country back? Who is they? Was it African-Americans? Was it city dwellers? I don't think so. Who 'lost' their country? Because I sure as hell don't think I lost my country. I never ever felt it was mine. And I sure as hell don't think Trump is giving it back to the people. So who is they?

Trump said he was going to drain the swamp. And after Obama said he wasn't going to work with the for profit prisons, Trump handed it back to them. And they set up shop at Trump Doral. Hmmm coincidence?

Who does the country belong to Logger?
The internet is full of people of every race, religion, sexual orientation that voted for Trump and wanted their country back. Again, I didn’t bring up any of that, you did, because you seem to be obsessed with it.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:17 PM   #184
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
No, I think he means the country only belongs to those that aren't "liberals" or "establishment", even though Trump is about as Establishment as it comes (heck, anyone who benefits from eminent domain is).
Why do so many on the left have problems understanding what this means? It’s one of the reasons your side lost.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:18 PM   #185
logger
Banned

Repeated bankruptcies aren't my idea of "success", but it's your prerogative to vote for who you want to vote for. Lol
When you get to be a billionaire, we’ll talk about the handful of bankruptcies you had.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:24 PM   #186
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

When you get to be a billionaire, we’ll talk about the handful of bankruptcies you had.
Lol. It's not hard at all to be a billionaire when you're handed a fortune from your Rich Daddy.

Of course, this might impress a simpleton.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:27 PM   #187
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Tell that to Mitt Romney. Tell that to Jeff Bezos Tell that to Warren Buffett. Tell that to the vast number billionaires and they will laugh in your face.
Old 9th April 2018, 07:49 PM   #188
logger
Banned

Tell that to Mitt Romney. Tell that to Jeff Bezos Tell that to Warren Buffett. Tell that to the vast number billionaires and they will laugh in your face.
I’m so glad you could name three. They are certainly special people.
Old 9th April 2018, 10:48 PM   #189
Venom
Master Poster

Oh, wait...

Having passed through that part of Iowa a few times I can say I feel very little sympathy for those people.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:48 AM   #190
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You do realize that's a metaphor, right?
Oh, they're not literal reins?

Quote:
And as a metaphor for guiding the direction the country heads in, it's perfectly appropriate.
I think the degree to which the President guides the country is vastly overstated in modern American mythology.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 08:14 AM   #191
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think the degree to which the President guides the country is vastly overstated in modern American mythology.
As president Trump can:

- Issue executive orders. As an example of how this is a problem, He has issued orders which ban muslim travelers (an action based on bigotry rather than clear evidence of safety concerns)

- Execute new military actions for a limited time frame, and change troop deployments (which gives Trump the ability to start a war, if he choses a "temporary" military deployment that becomes impossible to easily pull out from)

- He may be able to withdraw from certain treaties, such as NAFTA (the law is unclear about whether he can do this without congressional approval, but some experts say its possible)

- He controls the nomination of people to judicial positions, and to the cabinet. Thanks largely to him, we now have a hard-right Supreme court judge who may help outlaw abortion. He almost had lower-level judges appointed who were completely unqualified. You also have an EPA director who wants to gut the EPA, a head of the Department of Energy who didn't know what the party did, and the head of Housing who knew nothing about, well, housing.

- He can veto legislation, leading to a potential stalemate with congress. Alternatively, he can fail to use his veto when needed. Hence, the U.S. will now have billions of dollars added to its debt and taxes on many in the lower and middle class will rise within a decade

- As a "figurehead" he has shown pettiness, incompetence and bigotry. (Imagine being one of the Navajo code-talkers, at an event to get honored for serving in WW2, only to have Trump start to politicize the event). Words from the president DO have an effect, on the way the country is viewed, on the way people relate to one another and the government.

All of this matters. A lot.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 08:38 AM   #192
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

<snip>

The point (clearly) was the nature of Trump, not the nature of the presidency.

And thanks, Segnosaur.

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 12.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 10th April 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:06 AM   #193
Wayward son
Muse

No, they handed the reins to well known success. Sadly he does not understand his political enemies and what they will stoop to.
It just like Stalin blaming all the problems in the Soviet Union on Trotsky only much, much more stupid.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 10:27 AM   #194
Mumbles
Philosopher

- As a "figurehead" he has shown pettiness, incompetence and bigotry. (Imagine being one of the Navajo code-talkers, at an event to get honored for serving in WW2, only to have Trump start to politicize the event). Words from the president DO have an effect, on the way the country is viewed, on the way people relate to one another and the government.
I thought that was the Easter Egg Roll that he politicized. The ceremony for the code-talkers is the one where he used a racial slur against Sen. Warren.

I guess he did both then, actually. Guess that's what happens when you make a bigot the head of your party...
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 11:08 AM   #195
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Quote:
As a "figurehead" he has shown pettiness, incompetence and bigotry. (Imagine being one of the Navajo code-talkers, at an event to get honored for serving in WW2, only to have Trump start to politicize the event). Words from the president DO have an effect, on the way the country is viewed, on the way people relate to one another and the government.
I thought that was the Easter Egg Roll that he politicized.
He's brought politics into a lot of events where it did not belong... easter egg hunt, code-talker ceremony, the CIA speech, the boy scout speech.
Quote:
The ceremony for the code-talkers is the one where he used a racial slur against Sen. Warren.
Yes, he did use 'Pocahontas' as a slur against Warren. I figured he used it as part of a political attack (so it falls into 2 categories... both unnecessarily political and racist).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 10th April 2018, 11:37 AM   #196
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Of course they do. The beasts the President is attempting to direct may not respond in the manner they wish, but he/she is absolutely responsible for steering the country.

Otherwise, what is anyone actually voting for?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 03:05 PM   #197
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Why do so many on the left have problems understanding what this means? It’s one of the reasons your side lost.
Maybe you have not heard, but Clinton did actually win the popular vote.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 03:06 PM   #198
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

None of them. No sympathy at all if they are still supporters.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 03:26 PM   #199
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I see logger's love fest with Trump is still going strong. Some people actually enjoy being screwed over. I'm not one of them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 03:30 PM   #200
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
None of them. No sympathy at all if they are still supporters.
I hate this question. I'm not a big fan of Schadenfreude. I think it is the worst part of us as human beings. It's petty. I don't want to see any human being in misery. No matter how deserving they are of it. People remember when you do this and seek opportunities to turn the table. I just want them to realize their mistakes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics