ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Those who rely on Obamacare 41 46.07%
Those living near the border who may loose their homes due to the wall 14 15.73%
Those concerned about internet privacy 10 11.24%
Those with friends/relatives who were affected by immigration policies 22 24.72%
Other 37 41.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 30th May 2018, 10:13 AM   #241
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,555
Roseanne Barr.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #242
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe you should prove them wrong instead. A common belief is that liberals will argue to a point then either leave the room in disgust or say they don't wanna talk about it.

These both happened to me recently. I told one good friend how much it cost me in gas to drive to San Jose. She said, "Ya because Trump bla bla..."

I said, "I have this on my screen right now [and I did]. It says gas went up to 4 dollars under Obama and was around $1.80 when he began his term, so the person in office doesn't usually matter. Prices always fluctuate"

Her: "I don't wanna talk politics!"

"Me either, you mentioned Trump not me!"

I'm sure both "sides" can claim the same thing though. I don't but surely some do All I mentioned was one little factoid that didn't fit her outrage of the day.



Trump: Servant Of God. Haha maybe for a few. The rest need to believe Trump stands for them, God need not apply.

I've mentioned the Martyr thing before but I attributed that to all the constant attacks coming from the left, everything from his appearance to virtually everything else, every day, constantly. Again, no gawd needed.

People claimed the Obama thing was Messiah-ish as well. Or was that Santa Claus-ish? Anyone who thinks their guy, or their side, is The True Answer is a fool.
Democrats would not have put up with this kind of behavior from Obama. Esp. not when there was a perfectly capable VP ready to step in.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 12:14 PM   #243
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,630
I feel the least sorry for Hillary because without her we wouldn't have Trump
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 01:34 PM   #244
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,427
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I feel the least sorry for Hillary because without her we wouldn't have Trump

I agree with this. Clinton was given the keys to kingdom by the Democrats and she proceeded to crap on the party and the country. She now runs around blaming everything and everybody for her screw ups. Too bad for her, instead of exploiting the fact that she was running for president and taking money from the bankers that had brought the country to brink of financial collapse with their complete lack of ethics, think how much more money she could have made if she could have put her greed aside until she was actually elected.


ETA: How do you feel about Giuliani? Goes into full blown sycophant mode and gets passed over for any administration jobs? Oh the inhumanity. But here he reprising his inner toady shilling for Trump again. Will his sycophancy go unrewarded again? Maybe appearing like an idiot on television is the only reward that he wanted?
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 30th May 2018 at 01:47 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 02:59 PM   #245
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,090
This thread is an object lesson in the power of hatred as a uniting force.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 04:06 PM   #246
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 886
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
This thread is an object lesson in the power of hatred as a uniting force.
If only this was the only example...

Trump's rise resulted at least in part due the right's hatred of the left.

Plenty of hate to go around.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 04:06 PM   #247
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
This thread is an object lesson in the power of hatred as a uniting force.
It is but one of many such lessons surrounding the 2016 election or, indeed, politics in general of at least the last few decades.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 06:03 PM   #248
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
If only this was the only example...

Trump's rise resulted at least in part due the right's hatred of the left.

Plenty of hate to go around.
Yeah sure because my side was screaming at the sky!

Trumps rise was the result of your candidate telling conservative democrats she was going to put them out of work.

Last edited by logger; 30th May 2018 at 06:05 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 06:38 PM   #249
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Yeah sure because my side was screaming at the sky!
Probably because they were too busy investing pizzerias for child pornography and other such nonsense. LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 11:36 PM   #250
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,238
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I agree with this. Clinton was given the keys to kingdom by the Democrats and she proceeded to crap on the party and the country. She now runs around blaming everything and everybody for her screw ups. Too bad for her, instead of exploiting the fact that she was running for president and taking money from the bankers that had brought the country to brink of financial collapse with their complete lack of ethics, think how much more money she could have made if she could have put her greed aside until she was actually elected.


ETA: How do you feel about Giuliani? Goes into full blown sycophant mode and gets passed over for any administration jobs? Oh the inhumanity. But here he reprising his inner toady shilling for Trump again. Will his sycophancy go unrewarded again? Maybe appearing like an idiot on television is the only reward that he wanted?
No. Don't try to pin the blame on anyone but the people who voted for Trump. He is their fault. Entirely.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 04:30 AM   #251
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,125
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
ETA: How do you feel about Giuliani? Goes into full blown sycophant mode and gets passed over for any administration jobs? Oh the inhumanity. But here he reprising his inner toady shilling for Trump again. Will his sycophancy go unrewarded again? Maybe appearing like an idiot on television is the only reward that he wanted?
As I recall, when Giuliani floated the idea of running for mayor of NYC again right after 9/11, pretty much everyone in NYC said "No, we're sick of your antics." He was frontrunner for the Republican slot for president in 2008, right up until people started listening to him. As I recall, even his own kids don't really care for him.

Maybe Dolt 45 got in because Giuliani's bigotry was too coded, and they preferred "meteor hits an oil refinery"racism to the dogwhistle sort? Cheating on your wife with a cousin is too crude, but cheating on her with a porn star is okay (and would it be different if the porn star were a dude)? Or maybe having a black president, and then the possibility of a woman there to follow up, created the desire for a brazen bigot? Doesn't change the fact that I hope Dolt 45's voters get substantially harmed by him, but it's a somewhat interesting question.

Last edited by Mumbles; 31st May 2018 at 04:31 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 07:49 AM   #252
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,677
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No. Don't try to pin the blame on anyone but the people who voted for Trump. He is their fault. Entirely.
To be honest, I also place a little of the blame on voters who didn't vote for Trump but picked the Green Party, or people like Bernie Bros who decided to spoil their ballot by doing a write-in. They may have had the ability to prevent Trump from taking the white house, but because of their foolishness they failed to act in a way to stop him.

For better or worse, the U.S. has only 2 viable political parties. So, try as you might, Stein and her Green Party were never going to capture the presidency. It also means that a failure to vote FOR a particular candidate (such as Clinton) increases the chances that the alternative major party candidate (Trump) has a better chance to win. And while neither candidate was perfect, one was CLEARLY superior to the other, in probably every category. The mature thing to do would have been to pick the candidate who may have been imperfect but was better than the alternative.

Are you an environmentalist who preferred the Green Party's environmental platform over what Clinton and the Democrats were proposing? Congratulations! You now have a Republican president who thinks global warming is a hoax and has voted to remove regulations controlling the dumping of coal mining waste near streams. Clinton may not have done everything you wanted when it came to the environment, but her plans were closer to what the Green Party wanted than what Trump is doing.

Are you a BernieBro who liked Sander's plans for single payer health care and standing up to Wall Street? Congratulations! You now have a president who is pushing to get rid of Obamacare (imperfect but better than what you had before) and who signed a tax bill giving huge tax cuts to corporations.

Maybe you're the anti-war type who thought Clinton was too much of a hawk. Congratulations! You now have a president who was in favor of invading Iraq (even though he lied when he said he was always against it), has bombed Syria (twice), increased troop deployment in Afghanistan, is spending billions more on the military.

Or perhaps you thought "They're both corrupt". Well, first of all, chances are you foolishly fell for the Republican/Fox News misinformation about Clinton's supposed scandals. And you now have a president who's already had several members of his cabinet resign or charged for various crimes.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 03:02 PM   #253
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,833
Are you a Democrat who sat silently while the GOP pushed voter suppression laws is several states where Stupid's margin of victory was less than the number of voters who were wrongfully barred? Congratulations, you paved the way for a guy who will accelerate the voter suppression and gerrymandering and appoint lackeys to the federal bench to maintain those practices.

Are you a candidate who thought a state like Wisconsin(which elected Scott Walker twice (three if you include the recall), has a Republican dominated legislature, and was one of those voter suppression states) as so secure, you didn't need to campaign? That is was a brick in the "Blue Wall"?

So much blame to go around
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 03:19 PM   #254
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,427
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
[see above]

From my view, almost a perfect summary of the situation. Well done.

I equivocated on the Clinton part. Yes Fox News and the Republicans engaged in a dishonest hate campaign against Clinton. That campaign is a key reason for the widespread hatred of Clinton.

But the effectiveness of that dishonest campaign was increased significantly because underlying the campaign were elements of truth. The Clinton's are slimy. Both, Hillary and Bill exploited Hillary's campaign as a profit opportunity. They both operate in a world where they are unaware of their own conflicts of interest.
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 04:42 PM   #255
Hungry81
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,219
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Yeah sure because my side was screaming at the sky!

Trumps rise was the result of your candidate telling conservative democrats she was going to put them out of work.
What selfish corrupt act is your conman in chief going to flip flop towards today? Trumps rise is due to people being easily conned by an obvious con artist.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 04:54 PM   #256
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I find it hard to blame people for falling for demagoguery.

Just how much money and airtime has been pointed at the 'government bad!' meme over the last 30 years? Corporate interests have leveraged the meme in order to sap power from elected government and pass it into the hands of unregulated corporate entities for which a weak government and a weak and incompetent president are desirable for corporations that want to do things for profit in opposition to the public good.

This is not even the end point. Look how useless government is now?
You don't like private business very much, right?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 05:12 PM   #257
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
If only this was the only example...

Trump's rise resulted at least in part due the right's hatred of the left.

Plenty of hate to go around.
Trump was made possible because the hateful bitches couldn't deal with a black president
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:47 AM   #258
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,090
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You don't like private business very much, right?
I'm all for private business. I'm just not at all for private business having a stranglehold on the government.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:53 PM   #259
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,677
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Are you a Democrat who sat silently while the GOP pushed voter suppression laws is several states where Stupid's margin of victory was less than the number of voters who were wrongfully barred? Congratulations, you paved the way for a guy who will accelerate the voter suppression and gerrymandering and appoint lackeys to the federal bench to maintain those practices.

Are you a candidate who thought a state like Wisconsin(which elected Scott Walker twice (three if you include the recall), has a Republican dominated legislature, and was one of those voter suppression states) as so secure, you didn't need to campaign? That is was a brick in the "Blue Wall"?

So much blame to go around
While it may be possible to blame certain people for being incompetent in their opposition to Trump, that's not exactly what this thread is about.

The idea of this thread is that its about people who voted either FOR trump (or in such a way that it helped him get elected), and then found out that they are going to be harmed as a result.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 05:40 PM   #260
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Are you a Democrat who sat silently while the GOP pushed voter suppression laws is several states where Stupid's margin of victory was less than the number of voters who were wrongfully barred? Congratulations, you paved the way for a guy who will accelerate the voter suppression and gerrymandering and appoint lackeys to the federal bench to maintain those practices.

Are you a candidate who thought a state like Wisconsin(which elected Scott Walker twice (three if you include the recall), has a Republican dominated legislature, and was one of those voter suppression states) as so secure, you didn't need to campaign? That is was a brick in the "Blue Wall"?

So much blame to go around
There wasn’t any voter suppression, it is a myth.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 12:42 PM   #261
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,427
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
To be honest, I also place a little of the blame on voters who didn't vote for Trump but picked the Green Party, or people like Bernie Bros who decided to spoil their ballot by doing a write-in. They may have had the ability to prevent Trump from taking the white house, but because of their foolishness they failed to act in a way to stop him.
...

The Green Party vote was interesting. It is hard to be respectful of the people that went down that path. Jill Stein's main claim to fame seems to have been that she was an anti-vaxxer. Beyond that it is hard to understand what her supporters thought they were accomplishing. There is a base of Clinton hatred in the country that is unbounded. It supersedes all other issues for the true believer Clinton haters and understanding that is probably the explanation for at least some of Jill Stein's support.

There is also the voter that thinks that a perfect candidate exists that precisely represents their ideology and values and when that candidate doesn't materialize they make a protest vote.

As to whether the Jill Stein vote affected the election: I thought it didn't. My friend thought it might have. I looked at the data and it seemed like my friend might have been right, but I've forgotten the details and right now it seems a bit moot to be interest me.
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 01:03 PM   #262
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,427
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm all for private business. I'm just not at all for private business having a stranglehold on the government.
All governments fall some place between total socialism and total libertarianism. This is pretty obvious to anybody that has thought about this for more than five minutes. But it is a truth that is not politically useful. A much more useful strategy politically for the Republicans is to characterize everybody that disagrees with their party on a particular policy as a socialist.


It is a fairly successful strategy for the Republicans. My father is a life long supporter of the Republican Party. Of course, one of the things he dislikes is Obamacare because it is socialist. I asked him about how he feels about Medicare and suggested to him that this was a kind of socialism as well. It turns out that in Dad's view of the world Medicare is not socialism but Obamacare is.
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 05:03 PM   #263
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,555
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
The Green Party vote was interesting.
Unlike with Nader in 2000, it's pretty darn hard to make a case for Stein causing Trump to be elected.

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
All governments fall some place between total socialism and total libertarianism. .
I strongly disagree. The dichotomy is libertarianism and authoritarianism. Which is not remotely the same as socialism. The Republicans great success has been in convincing people who think they are libertarian to vote for authoritarians.

Re Medicare: When it was being proposed, the Republicans were all screaming about "socialized medicine". Now it's "get your government hands off my Medicare."
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 06:06 PM   #264
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,427
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...

I strongly disagree. The dichotomy is libertarianism and authoritarianism. Which is not remotely the same as socialism. The Republicans great success has been in convincing people who think they are libertarian to vote for authoritarians. ...
The existence of one dichotomy does not preclude the existence of a different dichotomy.

When I used the term libertarianism I was specifically referring to that aspect of the philosophy which favors free markets and little or no government involvement in the economy including little or no government support for a social safety net and few or no government regulations including by some of its proponents environmental protections. The opposite of that is total government involvement in the economy including the prevention of all free market activities by citizens that don't work for the government.

I am not sure about your idea that Republicans getting self identifying libertarians to vote for authoritarians. My general sense of it is that many people that think they believe in less government actually believe in more government for programs that benefit them and less government for everybody else. I don't know that these people self identify as libertarians though. I think the Republicans do succeed in getting people who believe in free markets and fiscal responsibility to vote for them when in fact Republicans are quite willing to interfere in free markets and abandon fiscal responsibility when it benefits their donors.

As to the authoritarian tie in: This is a significant part of the Republican appeal. Almost any criticism of the police can be a disqualifying moment for a Republican. Although I am not sure that people with a libertarian bent make up a significant percentage of the people with highly authoritarian ideas that favor the Republican Party.
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 3rd June 2018 at 06:10 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 06:11 PM   #265
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,610
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
From my view, almost a perfect summary of the situation. Well done.

I equivocated on the Clinton part. Yes Fox News and the Republicans engaged in a dishonest hate campaign against Clinton. That campaign is a key reason for the widespread hatred of Clinton.

But the effectiveness of that dishonest campaign was increased significantly because underlying the campaign were elements of truth. The Clinton's are slimy. Both, Hillary and Bill exploited Hillary's campaign as a profit opportunity. They both operate in a world where they are unaware of their own conflicts of interest.
Yes, the Clinton's earned my distrust many years ago. This campaign changed nothing for me.

I would have voted Democrat if it wasn't a Clinton. Way too many people - maybe it's my age and above I don't know - we remember her and Bill very well. It isn't just something we read about during this election. There is no way I could ever be convinced to vote for any of them. Hell. No.

She must be bad if she couldn't beat this bozo. Genuine, long-term Clinton-hatred drove a LOT of people against the dems this election and I can't believe anyone can say that isn't true.
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 06:12 PM   #266
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,417
Originally Posted by logger View Post
There wasn’t any voter suppression, it is a myth.
Snort.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 12:40 PM   #267
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,090
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The idea of this thread is that its about people who voted either FOR trump (or in such a way that it helped him get elected), and then found out that they are going to be harmed as a result.
Hmm. I thought it was about how much some people hate anyone who supported Trump, and the ill-wishes that they heap upon those supporters, while telling each other how much better than "those people" they are.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 01:17 PM   #268
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,555
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
The existence of one dichotomy does not preclude the existence of a different dichotomy.
Snipped for brevity. I agree.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 01:32 PM   #269
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,677
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
The Green Party vote was interesting. It is hard to be respectful of the people that went down that path. Jill Stein's main claim to fame seems to have been that she was an anti-vaxxer. Beyond that it is hard to understand what her supporters thought they were accomplishing.
Well, in general the green party
- Is generally seen as having a very strong pro-environment platform
- May be seen by some as being anti-corporatist

I can see someone voting green thinking Hillary wasn't strong enough on the environment (e.g. she had at one time suggested she might support the Keystone XL pipeline), or thought she might be too pro-business. In which case, they ended up with someone who was even WORSE for the environment, and has an even STRONGER pro-business attitude.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 01:52 PM   #270
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,677
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Unlike with Nader in 2000, it's pretty darn hard to make a case for Stein causing Trump to be elected.
Well, lets see...

One of the states that Clinton lost was Wisc. The Green party got ~31k votes there. Trump won the state by only 27k votes. Another state was that the Democrats lost by a thin margin was Mich, where the Green Party got 51k votes, and Trump won the state by only 11k votes.

If all the people voting for Stein did so because they liked their stronger environmental stance or thought they were less pro-business decided to switch their votes to Clinton she would have taken both of those states.

Now, even with those 2 states flipping to the Democrats it still would not have been enough for them to have taken the white house. But that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't foolish for Green voters who wanted to "protect the environment" to keep voting for Stein even when she had no hope in winning, and there was another viable candidate who was would do a much better job at protecting the environment than Trump is doing. It was an extremely close election, and every vote could have been important.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 02:00 PM   #271
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,134
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Yes, the Clinton's earned my distrust many years ago. This campaign changed nothing for me.

I would have voted Democrat if it wasn't a Clinton. Way too many people - maybe it's my age and above I don't know - we remember her and Bill very well. It isn't just something we read about during this election. There is no way I could ever be convinced to vote for any of them. Hell. No.

She must be bad if she couldn't beat this bozo. Genuine, long-term Clinton-hatred drove a LOT of people against the dems this election and I can't believe anyone can say that isn't true.
Trump also beat a dozen or so Republicans in the primaries.

Deflection fail.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 02:51 PM   #272
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,555
Hillary's biggest problem is that compared to Bill, she has the personality of a rutabaga.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 05:42 PM   #273
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,126
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Trump also beat a dozen or so Republicans in the primaries.
He's right though. The long-term Clinton hatred itself was often genuine, even if the stated reasons for it weren't. The truth is, Bill Clinton was very popular president. A lot of people hated him for that. Hillary was his wife so they hated her too.

Hate is an emotion. Ask a Clinton hater why they hate and you are not likely to get a rational answer, because their hatred is not based on facts or reason. At best you will get conspiracy theories, at worst vague impressions such as that the Clintons are 'slimy'. But never any concrete facts or rational logic, because that is not what drives their hatred.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:23 PM   #274
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,125
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Trump also beat a dozen or so Republicans in the primaries.

Deflection fail.
Bluster and racism are big among republicans, apparently.

I'm generally of the opinion that, voting for a candidate that aligns the closest to your views is typically a good idea. It makes sense for white nationalists to vote for Dolt 45, since he made open white supremacism a central part of his campaign. I don't really respect people who voted for him because "He'll being back coal jobs!", although I can understand pain and desperation. I neither understand, nor respect, Bernie Sanders "supporters" who decided to support Minute Maid Mao, or people who just said, without reason, "I can't trust Hillary." AS much as people whine otherwise, politicians mostly do what they can to advance their major political promises, and I see no reason to think that Clinton would be any different.

Dolt 45 promised pointless rage at allies, open bigotry, and cozy relationships with authoritarian dictators - and he's worked to advance all of that. His lines about "jobs" or "healthcare" were throwaway tripe that showed no interest beyond campaign cheers - and those are low priorities. He also promised, since 2011, to try to erase that darkie guy who couldn't possibly be president - but history doesn't work that way, any more than the abandonment of Reconstruction marred Abe Lincoln's legacy.

But what he can do is take away everything good that awful darkie did, leading to exploding costs and deficits, increasingly shaky standing in the word, and so forth. And again, he's delivering on that.

And that's why I view all those "soandso voted for Trump, and now their job is being shipped off" stories as basically a Quentin Tarintino flick. Ha ha, you got what you deserve, I'm happy to watch you suffer at your own vindictive hateful hands.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 02:28 PM   #275
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,677
Time to dust off this thread with another case of the Trump supporter who got screwed.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/25/polit...uit/index.html
Alva Johnson, a former Trump campaign staffer who lives in Alabama, alleges in a lawsuit filed Monday that Trump grabbed her hand and forcibly kissed her without her consent inside an RV in Florida in August 2016.

Ok, Trump's Access Hollywood "grab em" tape didn't come out until roughly 2 months later. But, Trump's history as a racist, and con-artist was well known by the summer of 2016. Plus, his sexism (e.g. complaining about the weight of one of his pagent winners, had been on full display long before August. Yet this woman decided she would actually support his campaign.

And now she's complaining about being harassed. You're dealing with Trump. What do you expect to happen?
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 02:43 PM   #276
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,955
I might have sort of given a pass to people who voted for Trump in 2016 out of party loyalty, not liking Hilary or her policies, etc.
But I have no sympathy for people who , continue to support him in 2019.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 03:02 PM   #277
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,595
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
He's right though. The long-term Clinton hatred itself was often genuine, even if the stated reasons for it weren't. The truth is, Bill Clinton was very popular president. A lot of people hated him for that. Hillary was his wife so they hated her too.

Hate is an emotion. Ask a Clinton hater why they hate and you are not likely to get a rational answer, because their hatred is not based on facts or reason. At best you will get conspiracy theories, at worst vague impressions such as that the Clintons are 'slimy'. But never any concrete facts or rational logic, because that is not what drives their hatred.
I like your analysis, so I'm hoping you can explain this: How can people hate Clinton more than they hate Trump?

It's as if Trump has spent the last 3 years actively trying to make people hate him, and still only 55% of the U.S. population has succumbed to his unceasing efforts.

Do the Clinton haters really believe Clinton was running a child molestation operation from the basement of a pizzeria?

Do they really believe the secretary of state is responsible for the security of foreign CIA outposts?

That kind of idiocy seems like such weak excuses for simply wanting to hate someone. Why not just come clean and admit they ain't got no reason, they just hate the bitch. Can't make them look more idiotic than these loony excuses they come up with.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 03:16 PM   #278
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,610
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
He's right though. The long-term Clinton hatred itself was often genuine, even if the stated reasons for it weren't. The truth is, Bill Clinton was very popular president. A lot of people hated him for that. Hillary was his wife so they hated her too.

Hate is an emotion. Ask a Clinton hater why they hate and you are not likely to get a rational answer, because their hatred is not based on facts or reason. At best you will get conspiracy theories, at worst vague impressions such as that the Clintons are 'slimy'. But never any concrete facts or rational logic, because that is not what drives their hatred.
Nice try dude. Bill has little to do with my distaste for Hillary. They are both scumbags on their own merit. There are decades worth of reasons and I and others have listed them here over the years.

Looks like this is an old thread so I'm not going to get into it, Besides, your claim.

Quote:
toontown
I like your analysis, so I'm hoping you can explain this: How can people hate Clinton more than they hate Trump?
Because she has been doing her thing under the public eye for a very long time. I see no point in this discussion though. It will go nowhere.
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 04:30 PM   #279
lomiller
Philosopher
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,954
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Nice try dude. Bill has little to do with my distaste for Hillary. They are both scumbags on their own merit. There are decades worth of reasons and I and others have listed them here over the years.

Looks like this is an old thread so I'm not going to get into it, Besides, your claim.



Because she has been doing her thing under the public eye for a very long time. I see no point in this discussion though. It will go nowhere.
You just proved his point.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 04:53 PM   #280
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8,755
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I might have sort of given a pass to people who voted for Trump in 2016 out of party loyalty, not liking Hilary or her policies, etc.
But I have no sympathy for people who , continue to support him in 2019.
I disagree. Trump made it very clear exactly who and what he is by the time of the election. People chose to close their eyes to it for their own reasons, but they cannot claim they didn't know what he is. There were Republicans who did not to vote for him because they refused to ignore what a pig he is. He has merely reinforced it since then.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.