ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial categorization , racial isssues

Closed Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 07:13 AM   #241
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Conspiracy theorist?

She put 'NATIVE AMERICAN' on her bio at Harvard based on .0039 ancestry...
There's a range of what her Native American background is, and you've latched onto the bottom number of that range for some reason. Not that it matters, other than if you're calling someone out for stretching the truth, it's best not to stretch the truth.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:23 AM   #242
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Conspiracy theorist?

She put 'NATIVE AMERICAN' on her bio at Harvard based on .0039 ancestry...
You clearly indicated going conspiracy theorist as your first option.

Last edited by johnny karate; 15th October 2018 at 07:25 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:24 AM   #243
johnny karate

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
There's a range of what her Native American background is, and you've latched onto the bottom number of that range for some reason. Not that it matters, other than if you're calling someone out for stretching the truth, it's best not to stretch the truth.
I'd like someone to demonstrate how Warren stretched the truth.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:25 AM   #244
The Big Dog

Bustamante said that Warren’s test results show the “vast majority” of her ancestry is European, but that “the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor,” likely 6-10 generations ago.

Wait, wait, wait... she released this to SUPPORT her claim? That is hilarious.

And leftists are buying it?

Hey our family lore is that 6 to 10 generations ago someone might have been an Indian!

Oh mercy....

I am proud of my I am proud of my 1/64nd to 1/1024th Native South American ancestry too!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 15th October 2018 at 07:28 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:28 AM   #245
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Bustamante said that Warren’s test results show the “vast majority” of her ancestry is European, but that “the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor,” likely 6-10 generations ago.

Wait, wait, wait... she released this to SUPPORT her claim?
Whoa. Lookit those goal posts go!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...83/267/e8a.gif
Old 15th October 2018, 07:30 AM   #246
johnny karate

Hey our family lore is that 6 to 10 generations ago someone might have been an Indian!

Oh mercy....
Warren claims Native American heritage.

Scientific evidence establishes she has Native American heritage.

TBD thinks it's silly to believe science.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:32 AM   #247
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I suppose Trump will pay up that $1 million now.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:32 AM   #248
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Oh mercy....

I am proud of my I am proud of my 1/64nd to 1/1024th Native South American ancestry too!
As I understand it the claim was both grandparents on one side had some native American ancestry. This would be consistent with that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:33 AM   #249
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

No I think it is silly to claim that one has Native American history because maybe someone 6 to 10 generations ago might have been native American. I guess you are not seeing how absolutely ludicrous that is?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:34 AM   #250
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Whoa. Lookit those goal posts go!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...83/267/e8a.gif
That was literally my first post in the thread!

That is amazing!
Old 15th October 2018, 07:34 AM   #251
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Detecting DNA for Native Americans is particularly tricky because there is an absence of Native American DNA available for comparison. This is in part because Native American leaders have asked tribal members not to participate in genetic databases.

The amount of genetic data that is available from Native Americans is sparse.

To make up for the dearth of Native American DNA, samples from Mexico, Peru, and Colombia were used to stand in for Native American.

The Boston Globe (Oct 15, 2018)

"The bad news for Pocahontas: she’s gotta swap the headdress for a sombrero. Señorita Warren."

-- James Woods (Oct 15, 2018)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:35 AM   #252
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Conservatives find this confusing.

See, Elizabeth Warren claims Native Heritage. She is mocked and derided for her claim.

She submits evidence that backs her claim. She is mocked and derided by conservatives for telling the truth.

Conservatives, who are dishonest, and lie all the time, are easily confused by evidence and facts.

Since conservatives lie all the time, they assume that the other side is constantly lying as well, even when faced with evidence that they are not.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:38 AM   #253
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No I think it is silly to claim that one has Native American history because maybe someone 6 to 10 generations ago might have been native American. I guess you are not seeing how absolutely ludicrous that is?
It doesn't matter how many generations back it is. It is still native American history.15 generations should would have been late 1600s. If you are the product of one coupling back then, that is ancestry.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:40 AM   #254
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

No I think it is silly to claim that one has Native American history ancestry because maybe someone 6 to 10 generations ago might have been native American. I guess you are not seeing how absolutely ludicrous that is?
FIFY.

Warren claimed to have Native American ancestry. Warren provides scientific evidence of her Native American ancestry. Where is the ludicrous part?
Old 15th October 2018, 07:40 AM   #255
beren
Graduate Poster

I've highlighted the relevant part of my post for you.

And please bear in mind that the right wing crank from where River gets his "information" claims that 90% of the planet's population can trace their ancestry to Native Americans.

Do you think 90% of the planet's population has Native American ancestry?
Unless you are engaged in a semantic argument, I miss the point of your highlight. People, even Native Americans, can move about the world and spawn children in other locations.

I have European ancestry and have never set foot in Europe.

As for River and his sources, I have no argument with you.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:41 AM   #256
johnny karate

The talking point issued from the Republicans Smear Machine was that she was lying.

At what point between then and after Warren proved she was telling the truth did you decide that her claiming Native American heritage at all is ludicrous?
Old 15th October 2018, 07:42 AM   #257
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This has to be the dumbest thread topic. The DNA test results were always going to be meaningless on countless levels. I have always thought that Warren providing the DNA test results is just playing Trump's game. I would have replied to the Orange Pustule, "I'll produce them the moment Trump releases his tax returns that he promised to release. But maybe there is a good reason for Warren to do this and that is it becomes ancient news before the next election.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:43 AM   #258
johnny karate

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Unless you are engaged in a semantic argument, I miss the point of your highlight. People, even Native Americans, can move about the world and spawn children in other locations.

I have European ancestry and have never set foot in Europe.

As for River and his sources, I have no argument with you.
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding in my use of the word “peoples”. I was referring to population groups, not individual people.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:43 AM   #259
beren
Graduate Poster

Oh mercy....

The error you are making is that you do not know what Warren's actual claim was. This evidence fully supports every claim I have ever heard her make.

Perhaps you can link to some claim that this evidence does not support?

For the record, if you only response is "she changed her ethnicity in her bio" then don't bother. That dog won't hunt unless you can show she claimed to more than she actually is.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:44 AM   #260
beren
Graduate Poster

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding in my use of the word “peoples”. I was referring to population groups, not individual people.
I see, interpreted it differently. We are talking at cross purposes. Carry on.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:45 AM   #261
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I... don't... care. I don't understand why Elizabeth Warren thought her homeopathic level of Native Americaness was something any of us were the least bit interested in and I don't care that the Republicans think it's a hill to die defending.

There is no angle to approach this discussion from that isn't stupid.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:45 AM   #262
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That was literally my first post in the thread!

That is amazing!
Yours was merely representative.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:45 AM   #263
sylvan8798
Master Poster

My ancestors from England were in Maryland 10 or more generations ago (circa 1645). I guess it's ludicrous to claim I have British ancestry. At which generation was it still ok? And what do I say now if asked where my ancestors immigrated from?

- Professional Wastrel

Last edited by sylvan8798; 15th October 2018 at 07:48 AM.
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:46 AM   #264
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The error you are making is that you do not know what Warren's actual claim was. This evidence fully supports every claim I have ever heard her make.

Perhaps you can link to some claim that this evidence does not support?

For the record, if you only response is "she changed her ethnicity in her bio" then don't bother. That dog won't hunt unless you can show she claimed to more than she actually is.
How about the claim that marking an ethnic background on a document based on family stories is poor character?
Old 15th October 2018, 07:51 AM   #265
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How about the claim that marking an ethnic background on a document based on family stories is poor character?
Has Warren made that claim?
Otherwise I don't see her having a burden to support it.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:52 AM   #266
The Big Dog

didn't she claim that she had a descendant from the Delaware or Cherokee tribes?

Yeah, no.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:52 AM   #267
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by River View Post
Not sure this is reliable but found this.
This article looks like it was rewritten since I last read it. He's dropped the percentages and 10 generation bit and has come back with "you can't trust Democrats" routine.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:57 AM   #268
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Has Warren made that claim?
Otherwise I don't see her having a burden to support it.
It is a claim about the claim she made on that document. Her evidence at the time was flimsy.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:57 AM   #269
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

didn't she claim that she had a descendant from the Delaware or Cherokee tribes?

Yeah, no.
In this thread, Big Dog is going to pretend that he highly values pinpoint accuracy in the statements of politicians. This is, of course, not the case. Rather, he only values slurring Democrats in any way possible.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:58 AM   #270
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Quote:
As I understand it the claim was both grandparents on one side had some native American ancestry. This would be consistent with that.
Furthermore, if a 'generation' is 25-30 years, that would put the time frame of her native ancestory somewhere around the early 1800s. While that may be outside 'living' memory, it is certainly not ancient history. I know people who have built family trees that go back that far.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:59 AM   #271
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
In this thread, Big Dog is going to pretend that he highly values pinpoint accuracy in the statements of politicians. This is, of course, not the case. Rather, he only values slurring Democrats in any way possible.
In this thread, we are going to pretend that tu quoque is an actual argument that is worth consideration.

This is, of course, not the case. Rather, leftists only value slurring other posters in any way possible.
Old 15th October 2018, 08:00 AM   #272
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Furthermore, if a 'generation' is 25-30 years, that would put the time frame of her native ancestory somewhere around the early 1800s. While that may be outside 'living' memory, it is certainly not ancient history. I know people who have built family trees that go back that far.
I've got much of mine way past that. Mind you, the major work was not done by me.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:03 AM   #273
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I... don't... care. I don't understand why Elizabeth Warren thought her homeopathic level of Native Americaness was something any of us were the least bit interested in and I don't care that the Republicans think it's a hill to die defending.

There is no angle to approach this discussion from that isn't stupid.
Tell that to Trump, who has repeatedly attacked her based on her claims of Native american ancestry.

He even offered her $1 million if she took a DNA test.

If we didn't have Stubby McBonespurs sitting in the white house, Warren's genetic history probably wouldn't have been an issue. Trump made it so.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:04 AM   #274
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Tell that to Trump, who has repeatedly attacked her based on her claims of Native american ancestry.

He even offered her $1 million if she took a DNA test.

If we didn't have Stubby McBonespurs sitting in the white house, Warren's genetic history probably wouldn't have been an issue. Trump made it so.
Okay well you made noise at half of what I said.

Trump made it is an issue, but for him to do that she would have at least first made it a... point I guess.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:05 AM   #275
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Warren's claim is that her parents had to elope because her Father's family didn't like her Mother's family because of alleged Native blood. So they eloped, from Oklahoma.

I don't particularly care for Warren, but she's used this story about the overwhelming nature of bigotry in those days, not for any benefit of her own.

Meanwhile, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy claims indian ancestry that is much more suspect, is a member of a fake tribe, and has gained minority contracts from this connection. https://splinternews.com/top-house-r...rom-1829750894

Old 15th October 2018, 08:06 AM   #276
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You forget that she was born in 1949, which would place six generations back at 1795. That creates so many problems with the Cherokee/delaware claim.

ETA: 1795 is pretty close to early 1800s though, but I wanted to call specific attention to the issues around the trail of tears.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 15th October 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 15th October 2018, 08:07 AM   #277
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"The bad news for Pocahontas: she’s gotta swap the headdress for a sombrero. Señorita Warren."

-- James Woods (Oct 15, 2018)

Because Native Americans from south of the border aren't Real Native Anericans™.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:08 AM   #278
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Because Native Americans from south of the border aren't Real Native Anericans™.

Yeah. They crossed the border that didn't exist yet to take jobs from real Native Americans and have anchor babies.
Old 15th October 2018, 08:08 AM   #279
crescent
Illuminator

The thing is - THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT SHE CLAIMED ALL ALONG!!

It was the conservatives who made a big deal of it - not her. She never claimed to have very much native ancestry at all. She had family lore of a native ancestor some generations back, she mentioned that, and conservatives and Republicans freaked out because she looks white.

Guess what? She told the truth, the genetics support her claim.

But hey, gotta move those goalposts, don't you?

Last edited by crescent; 15th October 2018 at 08:11 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:08 AM   #280
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump made it is an issue, but for him to do that she would have at least first made it a... point I guess.
No, a political opponent first made a ...point of it when digging into her background looking for dirt. The history has been outlined in the thread.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics