ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 11th March 2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's security issues

When Clinton was the Democratic candidate in 2016, a lot of concern was expressed over her handling of emails (suggesting she would be less than stringent regarding national security.)

Now that Trump is in power, I think its a good thing to list all of the security problems we have had regarding his presidency. So far we have:

- Disclosure of previously secret information to Russians in the Oval office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald...ed_information

- Holding a meeting with the Japanese prime minister at Mar-a-lago, in full view of resort guests, and with various workers using their cell phones to provide light (which could be a security problem)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN15T2Y2

- Keeping Flynn around in the administration for over 2 weeks after problems related to him began to surface (during which time he could have been a target for blackmail, or acted in a way that was detrimental to the U.S.)

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/polit...ays/index.html

- Use of temporary security clearances for various members of the Trump administration (including Rob Porter who had been accused of domestic abuse), and personally overriding the recommendations of security experts in providing security clearances to Kushner and Ivanka, as well as dozens of other White House workers. (The person who is currently handling the security clearances, Carl Kline, has been accused of mishandling the security files. The white house's response? Suspend the person making the accusation.)

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ity-clearances

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...curity-n970586

- The former owner of a massage parlor may have been selling access to Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/polit...aft/index.html

- Use of unsecured cell phones during at least part of his presidency

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...hackers-601903

Any other security problems that I've overlooked?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump is definitely insecure.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 10:25 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Didn't a bunch of Saudis drop dead suddenly after Jared met with Prince Murderpants?
Old 11th March 2019, 10:28 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Didn't a bunch of Saudis drop dead suddenly after Jared met with Prince Murderpants?
Yup. Kushner gave him information from Trump's daily briefing on where he could find dissidents and, lo and behold, there was a purge of those self-same dissidents. Coinkidink.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Forgot one more:

- Ivanka Trump may have used a personal email account to conduct government business.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46271021

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 10:41 AM   #6
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Kushner tried to set up a secret back-channel to the Kremlin on Russian embassy equipment, so it couldn't be monitored by US intelligence.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yup. Kushner gave him information from Trump's daily briefing on where he could find dissidents and, lo and behold, there was a purge of those self-same dissidents. Coinkidink.
Traitor.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Forgot one more:

- Ivanka Trump may have used a personal email account to conduct government business.

Lock her up!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Kushner tried to set up a secret back-channel to the Kremlin on Russian embassy equipment, so it couldn't be monitored by US intelligence.
Wait, what?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 11:04 AM   #9
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

We'll never know about any intel and security issues that almost certainly came up in Trump's extremely private meetings with Putin.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
Lock her up!
Oh no, her case is totally different than Clinton.

In Ivanka's case, she didn't know that using personal email to conduct government business was a bad thing.

After all, how would she have known? Its not like the use of private emails to conduct government business was something that had ever been discussed during an election or anything.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th March 2019, 11:07 AM   #11
CORed
Philosopher

Forgot one more:

Lock her up!
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Wait, what?
Yeah, funny story: Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Well, maybe less "funny" ha-ha and more "treason-y" boo-hiss.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:11 AM   #13
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Wait, what?
What We Know About Efforts to Set Up a Trump-Russia Back Channel

Quote:
Kushner and Flynn secretly met with Kislyak in Trump Tower on December 1, 2016. Last spring the Washington Post reported that Kushner proposed using Russian diplomatic facilities in the U.S. to establish a back channel for communication between the Trump transition and the Russian government. U.S. intelligence intercepted Kislyak describing the request to his superiors.

Kushner told Congress that Kislyak raised the idea, saying he wanted to convey information from his “generals” about the Syrian civil war, but needed a secure line. Kushner said he suggested going through the Russian embassy, but nothing came of it:
Old 11th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Lock her up!
Is there an echo in here?

Old 11th March 2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, give Jared a break! He only wanted to discuss the plight of Russian orphans! Won't anyone think of the orphans?

Whose plight was being held hostage by their own government over sanctions imposed on Russian criminals....
Old 11th March 2019, 11:35 AM   #16
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hey, give Jared a break! He only wanted to discuss the plight of Russian orphans! Won't anyone think of the orphans?
You know, when I think of the Trump administration, I can't help but think of their concern for orphans of any nationality. It's, like, the first thing that comes to mind, amirite?
Old 11th March 2019, 11:50 AM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You know, when I think of the Trump administration, I can't help but think of their concern for orphans of any nationality. It's, like, the first thing that comes to mind, amirite?
Of course they are concerned about orphans! So much so that they are determined to make a whole lot more of them...at the southern border...in war zones...in rapidly declining US cities...by keeping guns freely available... Jesus loves all the orphans!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 12:00 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SO Jared is Benedict Donald's version of Major Andre?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 02:57 PM   #19
mgidm86
Philosopher

When Clinton......

Y'all just can't let the witch die can you? You don't think Trump is being investigated enough, is that the point?

Just another ISF circle-jerk thread. "Hey look at me, I think just like you guys! Hmmm let's see oh I got one - Trump is orange! Can I join the club now too?"

No discussion, let's just make a list! Yayeee. It's a bit silly.
Old 11th March 2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Y'all just can't let the witch die can you? You don't think Trump is being investigated enough, is that the point?

Just another ISF circle-jerk thread. "Hey look at me, I think just like you guys! Hmmm let's see oh I got one - Trump is orange! Can I join the club now too?"

Yeah, leave Britney alone!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You didn’t read past the second word of the thread, did you?

He doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 11th March 2019, 04:43 PM   #22
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

You're talking about Ivanka, right?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 04:52 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Whose plight was being held hostage by their own government over sanctions imposed on Russian criminals....
Perhaps they were thinking of orphans when they separated hundreds of children from their parents... some of whom are unlikely to EVER be reunited with their families since they don't have any idea where those children are!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 04:56 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Wait, what?
So many things, so long not that long ago, hard to keep up but yes, this happened.
Old 11th March 2019, 05:15 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Perhaps they were thinking of orphans when they separated hundreds of children from their parents... some of whom are unlikely to EVER be reunited with their families since they don't have any idea where those children are!
Those were BROWN orphans, doncha know. Entirely different!
Old 11th March 2019, 05:20 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Y'all just can't let the witch die can you? You don't think Trump is being investigated enough, is that the point?.
He is being investigated BECAUSE HE IS A ******* CRIMINAL, OK?

Trump's position as POTUS does NOT make him immune from being investigated for his ******* criminal activities.

Your President is a corrupt, criminal mob boss who lies, cheats and steals for a living. If the leader of my country had done the criminal things this a-hole has done (and is still doing) I would be ashamed to admit my nationality. That you think he's just fine by you, says a lot more about you and your personal integrity and standards, than it does of others posting in this thread.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:12 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
He is being investigated BECAUSE HE IS A ******* CRIMINAL, OK?

Trump's position as POTUS does NOT make him immune from being investigated for his ******* criminal activities.

Your President is a corrupt, criminal mob boss who lies, cheats and steals for a living. If the leader of my country had done the criminal things this a-hole has done (and is still doing) I would be ashamed to admit my nationality. That you think he's just fine by you, says a lot more about you and your personal integrity and standards, than it does of others posting in this thread.
Hallelujah and can I have an "amen!", Brother?

To think we went from a class act like Obama to a criminal clown act like Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:36 PM   #28
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Trump is definitely insecure.
In more ways than one
Old 11th March 2019, 07:13 PM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hallelujah and can I have an "amen!", Brother?

To think we went from a class act like Obama to a criminal clown act like Trump.
Quite!

The thing that many people forget is that Congress has a DUTY to the American people - the people who elected them, not to let this slide. They each swore an oath to uphold the the Constitution of the United States. The system of checks and balance that your Founding Fathers put in place allow, and indeed compel, the House and the Senate to investigate any wrongdoing by members of the executive. If they fail to investigate a potentially criminal president, they would be delinquent in that duty (a duty that the Senate has been delinquent in January 2017).
Old 12th March 2019, 03:31 AM   #30
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You're free to initiate discussion by rebutting any of the security issues listed in this thread, if you like.
Old 12th March 2019, 04:00 AM   #31
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Outing an Israeli intelligence asset.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:02 AM   #32
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
I'm deeply shocked and saddened that nobody's made an anal sex joke about Trump's Russian back channel.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:14 AM   #33
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I'm deeply shocked and saddened that nobody's made an anal sex joke about Trump's Russian back channel.
Sorry, I've been too busy investigating how Trump is helping Russia probe Uranus.
Old 12th March 2019, 07:31 AM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Outing an Israeli intelligence asset.
That's sort of related to the example I gave of Trump revealing secret information to the Russians in the oval office, isn't it?

Or is there another case that I'm unaware of?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th March 2019, 07:36 AM   #35
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Funny. That's given me a smidgen of hope for humanity.

Now, it's gone.
Old 12th March 2019, 07:45 AM   #36
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
When Clinton......
Y'all just can't let the witch die can you?
During the 2016 elections, Clinton's handling of her emails (and her potential mishandling of classified information) was a significant topic in the election. Now that we're heading into the 2020 election, I think its reasonable to give Trump's handling of security issues the same sort of consideration. Isn't it? Is there a reason Trump's potential mishandling of secret information should be of less importance than Clinton's?

(Not to mention the irony of you suggesting "let the witch die", considering the number of times Trump drags up Clinton in an average week. Perhaps you should try to get Trump and his supporters to quit talking about Clinton first.)
Quote:
You don't think Trump is being investigated enough, is that the point?
Evidence points to Trump being both a criminal (both pre and post election) AND incompetent. I think both aspects of his presidency should be examined. And his criminal acts in this case are separate from his general failures as president.

Suggesting that we should overlook his incompetency just because his criminal actions are being investigated seems like you're giving him a bizarre free pass.
Quote:
No discussion,
As another poster stated, you are more than welcome to discuss any of the things that were brought up in the opening post.

Do you deny that those security problems existed? Do you think there's some sort of reasonable mitigating factor? Or is your complaint just that it reminds people of how bad Trump actually is?

Quote:
let's just make a list! Yayeee. It's a bit silly.
Yes, I made a list. I've done the same thing before with some of the incompetent people Trump has hired too.

Yes, most of this material has already been discussed in other places (such as the general "Trump" threads). But, those threads often cover a very wide range of topics, can change focus rather quickly, and often have to deal with trolls, bobbings, and other derails. Its easy to overlook or forget these incidents when they are buried under a mountain of Trump's bigotry, general lies, trade wars, criminal investigations, and the like.

By creating a thread specifically about one aspect of Trump's incompetence (in this case his handling of national security), we can find patterns people might have missed.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th March 2019, 10:12 AM   #37
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I'm so very sorry that you blindly and mindlessly support a corrupt, autocratic, sloppy mess of an oligarch who managed to get into the Presidency. But it really isn't our fault. Sadly, Trumps utter corrupting influence is our problem.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 12:31 PM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

See you have to be more open to murdering dictators that is the way forward for america. It is clearly what 40% of the country wants, and that is enough to get the kleptocracy they desire.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 01:05 PM   #39
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Funny. That's given me a smidgen of hope for humanity.

Now, it's gone.
Glad I could help
Old 12th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I'm so very sorry that you blindly and mindlessly support a corrupt, autocratic, sloppy mess of an oligarch who managed to get into the Presidency. But it really isn't our fault. Sadly, Trumps utter corrupting influence is our problem.
And new stuff just keeps coming out about him.,..which should be investigated.

But then Dear Leader is above suspicion......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics