ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th September 2019, 03:42 PM   #2081
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting to see the name "Barron" trending on Twitter. Apparently a lot of people (many many people!) were just as stunned and offended as I was.
Quote:
Trump: "We can't have our youth be so affected. And I'm hearing it - that's how the first lady got involved. She's got a son...together, that is a beautiful young man. And she feels very, very strongly about it."
I remember watching the inaugural parade and seeing him walk with his parents. He just kind of trailed along at first, but at one point seemed to really get into the parade, and smiled and waved to the crowd. I thought at the time it must be very rare for him to smile, and felt sorry for the kid. I hope that under Melania's (sole) care, he's not affected by the things his father is doing.
Old 11th September 2019, 04:13 PM   #2082
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Interesting to see the name "Barron" trending on Twitter. Apparently a lot of people (many many people!) were just as stunned and offended as I was.

I remember watching the inaugural parade and seeing him walk with his parents. He just kind of trailed along at first, but at one point seemed to really get into the parade, and smiled and waved to the crowd. I thought at the time it must be very rare for him to smile, and felt sorry for the kid. I hope that under Melania's (sole) care, he's not affected by the things his father is doing.
What a complete bastard. What kind of father talks about his son like this? Of course, from the Howard Stern show, we know he's not all that interested in his sons. His two daughters get all of daddy's attention.
Old 11th September 2019, 04:15 PM   #2083
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Now I feel bad... I didn't even spell the kid's name right.
That's how infrequently he shows up in topics I'm thinking about.

- How serious was the poster above (?) about not knowing Tiffany existed? Damn.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:42 PM   #2084
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Sounds like generic "making **** up" to me. lol
Me too. Why does anyone pay attention to this bluster? He can't speak in a full sentence without some dishonest hyperbole.
Old 11th September 2019, 05:13 PM   #2085
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a Tucker Carlson interview with some guy I've never heard of before, who might be Bolton's replacement:
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...83543832715264

He sounds like...a peacenik? lol
I dunno, but I hope he gets the gig.
Old 11th September 2019, 05:21 PM   #2086
angrysoba
Philosophile

Here's a Tucker Carlson interview with some guy I've never heard of before, who might be Bolton's replacement:

He’s a true patriot with secret service connections - real name: Yuri Zilyganabimabich. He will make sure his nation’s interests are secured.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:48 PM   #2087
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Me too. Why does anyone pay attention to this bluster? He can't speak in a full sentence without some dishonest hyperbole.
To be fair, it is dishonest hyperbole unlike the world has ever seen before!
Old 11th September 2019, 05:51 PM   #2088
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What a complete bastard. What kind of father talks about his son like this? Of course, from the Howard Stern show, we know he's not all that interested in his sons. His two daughters get all of daddy's attention.

"Wait....I have two daughters??"
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:52 PM   #2089
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

This is exactly what the right accuses liberals of. Pie in the sky, unicorn rainbow farts vision of how world peace will come about just by withdrawing from everywhere "bringing our troops home" from places where "we aren't even at risk" so that other nations can "deal with it themselves."

While I'm all for world peace, there's actually reckless ways to try and get there that invite disorder and chaos. First on the people far away, but then later in acts of targeted blowback. Then we'll be back to square one (but there might be a new "false flag" conspiracy for this forum to debate afterwards).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:57 PM   #2090
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A fuller quote
Quote:
If for any reason they come back to our country, we will go wherever they are & use power the likes of which the US has never used before -- and I'm not even talking about nuclear power. They will have never seen anything like what will happen to them.

It reminds me of my father after the Oklahoma City bombing. "When we find out who did it, we should bomb their country flat!!" Then it turned out that Americans did it. Oops.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:17 PM   #2091
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
To be fair, it is dishonest hyperbole unlike the world has ever seen before!
Old 11th September 2019, 06:32 PM   #2092
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You might as well be saying he should just levitate or he should just turn invisible or he should just play a round of golf without cheating.
Hee!
Old 11th September 2019, 06:33 PM   #2093
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
This is exactly what the right accuses liberals of. Pie in the sky, unicorn rainbow farts vision of how world peace will come about just by withdrawing from everywhere "bringing our troops home" from places where "we aren't even at risk" so that other nations can "deal with it themselves."

While I'm all for world peace, there's actually reckless ways to try and get there that invite disorder and chaos. First on the people far away, but then later in acts of targeted blowback. Then we'll be back to square one (but there might be a new "false flag" conspiracy for this forum to debate afterwards).
I'm pretty sure we could just be as peace with Iran, Syria, and NK without it being irresponsible.

Afghanistan is a lot trickier. The Taliban can apparently be persuaded (at times) to chill out as long as they can make money growing poppy. But Saudi Arabia is always "seeding" the population over there with religious fanaticism, so...I dunno. It's complex, and you'd pretty much have to be a member of some national security inner circle to have the information necessary to make a call on how to handle that.

I'll take General "Give Peace a Chance" over John "nuke ALL the countries" Bolton, though.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:41 PM   #2094
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It made me sad how in his interview today about vaping, he stated his concern about the use among young people with, "Melania, she has a young son..."

like he won't even acknowledge his own kid.
From what I've read, he took very little interest in his children until they were older. He left the first 4 in their mothers' care almost entirely.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:53 PM   #2095
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

This is one date where The PDJT should just make one respectful Tweet, then stfu for the rest of the day.
Instead, we got things like a whole lot of whining about his polling numbers.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANybody know what the hell Trump was taking about when he said if there is another Terrorist attack on the US,he will use a weapon such as the world has never seen????
I guess it could be nuclear weapons, but then the world has seen those used ..maybe Donnie forgot about Hiroshima.
Or maybe he just talking tough ..something he loves to do to make happy his idiot level macho supporters.
Who knows? Maybe he thinks he has the Infinity Gauntlet...
Space Force? Moon base lasers? Revealing more top secret military satellite capabilities for the sake of addressing petty impulses?

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I am unsurprised that Bishop won, although I will admit to disappointed. Certainly not to despair. I've lived in NC for over four decades. If I were to despair whenever a Republican won something I would have left the state or offed myself long ago.
Indeed. I will share in your lack of surprise and disappointment a bit, though I'm not directly involved or a resident of NC. With that said, though, as a resident of NC, do you have anything to say when it comes to this event?

Fury and chaos after NC Republicans hold surprise budget vote while governor attends 9/11 ceremony

Quote:
As Gov. Roy Cooper and at least one Democrat from the North Carolina legislature attended a memorial on the anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Republicans held a surprise vote to override the Democratic governor’s veto of the state budget. Democrats had been assured that there would be no votes on Wednesday morning, and that Republicans were only opening the session as a technicality so they could get to work on other business.
Personally, my comment here is that the current GOP continues to demonstrate that they're cowardly, dishonorable scum who cannot be trusted to uphold anything that they say they will and are gleeful as they piss all over patriotic American values.

In other random news...

That was a good answer, Pelosi.

Quote:
REPORTER: Do you have any regrets about not bringing the House back in August to keep the flame lit on gun violence?

PELOSI: No, absolutely not. We did our job. The Senate was suppose to come back. Why don’t you all get that straight?

The Senate did not come back to pass the bill. I’m getting very angry about the silliness of these questions.

Lives are at stake and Senator McConnell is standing in the way. We passed our bill in February. Members had events all over the country to ask him to bring up the bill.

Don’t ask me what we haven’t done. We have done it. And if you are annoyed with my impatience, it’s because people are dying, because Senator McConnell hasn’t acted. Why don’t you go ask him if he has any regrets for all the people who’ve died, because he hasn’t acted?
That Pelosi even needed to give an answer to a question like that is just all the more reason to be clear about how much the right-wing media is brazenly lying about the (not actually) "liberal media."

U.S. officials ripped a Bahamian girl from her family and sent her to a migrant kids' facility

That 12-year old was totally one of those "very bad people" that Trump was warning us about, right? We can all sleep more soundly knowing that that 12 year old isn't going to threaten us.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:01 PM   #2096
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
U.S. officials ripped a Bahamian girl from her family and sent her to a migrant kids' facility

That 12-year old was totally one of those "very bad people" that Trump was warning us about, right? We can all sleep more soundly knowing that that 12 year old isn't going to threaten us.

What is wrong with these people? Did Trump make sure ignorant ******** were in charge at the border?
Old 11th September 2019, 11:07 PM   #2097
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That's utterly disgraceful. I'm ashamed to be an American.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:49 AM   #2098
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANybody know what the hell Trump was taking about when he said if there is another Terrorist attack on the US,he will use a weapon such as the world has never seen????.
Presumably he means "Muslim Terrorist attack" as opposed to the far more common domestic white supremacist Terrorist attack.

It's just President Trump flapping his gums IMO, there's nothing to the threat, or more specifically the claim that some super sekrit weapon would be used. Any reprisals will use conventional weapons and tactics (unless he's planning to unleash some new biological weapon that only kills people of a particular religion (or set of religions) - or skin darker than a certain shade).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:51 AM   #2099
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump was obviously talking about using HAARP to cause earthquakes in the region where the terrorists come from - again.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:53 AM   #2100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump was obviously talking about using HAARP to cause earthquakes in the region where the terrorists come from - again.
The US South East ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:27 AM   #2101
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

At the request of the Vice Premier of China, Liu He, and due to the fact that the People's Republic of China will be celebrating their 70th Anniversary....

....on October 1st, we have agreed, as a gesture of good will, to move the increased Tariffs on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods (25% to 30%), from October 1st to October 15th.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:28 AM   #2102
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I had an excellent telephone conversation with Andrés Manuel López Obrador, President of Mexico, talking about Southern Border Security, and various other things of mutual interest for the people of our respective countries....

....The Southern Border is becoming very strong despite the obstruction by Democrats not agreeing to do anything on Loopholes or Asylum!

BIG United States Supreme Court WIN for the Border on Asylum!
Supreme Court allows broad enforcement of asylum limits
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is allowing nationwide enforcement of a new Trump administration rule that prevents most Central American immigrants from seeking asylum in the United...
apnews.com

The Wall is being built after victories against the Democrats in various courts!

The Wall is going up very fast despite total Obstruction by Democrats in Congress, and elsewhere!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th September 2019 at 01:30 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #2103
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Paul Joseph Watson
@PrisonPlanet
A ship carrying passengers who included a group of ‘Climate Change Warriors’ who are concerned about melting Arctic ice got stuck in the ice halfway between Norway and the North Pole.

Ship Carrying ‘Climate Change Warriors’ Concerned About Melting Arctic Ice Gets Stuck in Ice
Well, this is awkward.
summit.news
Old 12th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #2104
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

At the request of the Vice Premier of China, Liu He, and due to the fact that the People's Republic of China will be celebrating their 70th Anniversary....

....on October 1st, we have agreed, as a gesture of good will, to move the increased Tariffs on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods (25% to 30%), from October 1st to October 15th.
Riiiiiiiiiight, a gesture of goodwill towards 'Gina, and not at all because US companies are screaming about their margins being squeezed and their supply lines being cut in the run up to Christmas
Old 12th September 2019, 01:33 AM   #2105
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
The House Judiciary Committee has a storied history of defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
But today, Democrats are using the Committee to violate 2nd Amendment liberties, property rights, and due process rights, all before you've done anything wrong!
Old 12th September 2019, 01:42 AM   #2106
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Retweeted

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
The House Judiciary Committee has a storied history of defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
But today, Democrats are using the Committee to violate 2nd Amendment liberties, property rights, and due process rights, all before you've done anything wrong!
they won't let Trump have a gun?
That sounds more like what the Secret Service would do.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:10 AM   #2107
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Unhappy

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Riiiiiiiiiight, a gesture of goodwill towards 'Gina, and not at all because US companies are screaming about their margins being squeezed and their supply lines being cut in the run up to Christmas
Well, I guess 15 days is better than nothing when we are this close to Christmas.

I am merely speculating, but I suspect the stable of stable geniuses decided that the tariffs would go into place on October 1 without knowing a single thing about why that date is important in China. Because why look at a Chinese calendar when you’re trying to negotiate a trade treaty with a country that emphasizes protocols in ways very different from yours.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:16 AM   #2108
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Some days you reflect on US politics and conclude that unmedicated Charlie Sheen would have made a better President.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:06 AM   #2109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not really, he can't even pick Tiffany out of a line up.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:15 AM   #2110
angrysoba
Philosophile

Trump Retweeted

Paul Joseph Watson
@PrisonPlanet
A ship carrying passengers who included a group of ‘Climate Change Warriors’ who are concerned about melting Arctic ice got stuck in the ice halfway between Norway and the North Pole.

Ship Carrying ‘Climate Change Warriors’ Concerned About Melting Arctic Ice Gets Stuck in Ice
Well, this is awkward.
summit.news
At this point Trump may as well be retweeting flat earthers
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:17 AM   #2111
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
At this point Trump may as well be retweeting flat earthers
It would be a step up from some of his favorite nazis.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:40 AM   #2112
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It would be a step up from some of his favorite nazis.
Nazis are more the hollow-earther types (it's where they get their battle dinosaurs from).
Old 12th September 2019, 04:30 AM   #2113
Belz...
Fiend God

His two daughters get all of daddy's attention.
Is that what they call it howadays?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:41 AM   #2114
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

European Central Bank, acting quickly, Cuts Rates 10 Basis Points. They are trying, and succeeding, in depreciating the Euro against the VERY strong Dollar, hurting U.S. exports.... And the Fed sits, and sits, and sits. They get paid to borrow money, while we are paying interest!
Old 12th September 2019, 05:54 AM   #2115
jeremyp
Muse

Trump Tweets

European Central Bank, acting quickly, Cuts Rates 10 Basis Points. They are trying, and succeeding, in depreciating the Euro against the VERY strong Dollar, hurting U.S. exports.... And the Fed sits, and sits, and sits. They get paid to borrow money, while we are paying interest!
One might almost think the Trump has a lot of debt on which he is having to pay interest. Surely he wouldn't be so self serving....
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:08 AM   #2116
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

It is expected that China will be buying large amounts of our agricultural products!

Some really big Court wins on the Border lately!

“Dems have never gotten over the fact that President Trump won the Election!”
@GOPLeader McCarthy

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th September 2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:19 AM   #2117
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

It is expected that China will be buying large amounts of our agricultural products!

Some really big Court wins on the Border lately!

Dems have never gotten over the fact that President Trump won the Election!
@GOPLeader McCarthy
Projection doesn't just happen in cinemas

Compared to the GOP poutrage over Obama's two victories, the Democrats aren't even trying.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:06 AM   #2118
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“We can’t beat him, so lets impeach him!” Democrat Rep. Al Green
Old 12th September 2019, 07:26 AM   #2119
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Well, we do have a weapon we have never used - think fusion instead of fission.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:29 AM   #2120
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Well, we do have a weapon we have never used - think fusion instead of fission.
The "con" type? I think it's already in full effect.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics