ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th August 2019, 02:25 PM   #1
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

The myth of frozen vegetable nutrition

Do a search on "frozen vegetable nutrition" or "fresh vs frozen" or similar and you'll find (or at least I found, going to numerous sites, including WebMD) that "frozen is about the same" in terms of nutrition, and they give sound reasoning as to why.

Then why is it that pretty much ALL the frozen vegetables any store around here sells have little to no nutrition whatsoever? And this includes so-called "organic" ones? Some weird regional thing? Anyone else see this?
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 02:47 PM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Then why is it that pretty much ALL the frozen vegetables any store around here sells have little to no nutrition whatsoever? And this includes so-called "organic" ones? Some weird regional thing? Anyone else see this?

How do you know there is "little to no nutrition"?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:00 PM   #3
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I'm wondering that, too.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Because they're frozen! duh.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:21 PM   #5
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Is there a label that says 'nutrition - 0' or something?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:32 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Is there a label that says 'nutrition - 0' or something?
Maybe freezing changes "soluble nutrition" into "Insoluble nutrition"?

You'll have to compare labels closely to spot the RDA of Woo.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:33 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe the OP meant to say "the myth of nutrition LOST by freezing"?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:35 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:38 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The only vegetables that I ate for a year were frozen. I died from malnutrition so I can tell you that it's true. Also there is no afterlife.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:41 PM   #10
carlitos
"más divertido"

Do a search on "frozen vegetable nutrition" or "fresh vs frozen" or similar and you'll find (or at least I found, going to numerous sites, including WebMD) that "frozen is about the same" in terms of nutrition, and they give sound reasoning as to why.

Frozen vegetables are in a package with the nutritional facts printed on it.

Fresh vegetables are typically sold loose, for you to box or bag yourself. Where are you finding the nutrition information for the fresh stuff, so that you can compare to frozen?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:59 PM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The only vegetables that I ate for a year were frozen. I died from malnutrition so I can tell you that it's true. Also there is no afterlife.
So, your personal version of hell is posting here all the time? Makes so much sense . . .

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 04:00 PM   #12
fromdownunder
Philosopher

fromdownunder has a birthday
I eat only frozen vegetables at home for a couple of reasons - ease of preparation and elimination of wastage. I have done so for over 25 years. I feel fine.

Vegetables are supposedly snap frozen as soon as possible after picking, so I can't see how they have time to lose anything. "Fresh" on the other hand could have been picked and packed a week ago, and sit in your crisper for another couple of days before using. And then possibly thrown away because they are no longer good enough to eat.

Unless you grow your own, and only pick and cook them as needed (which I used to do - this is especially true of sweet corn,which starts losing flavour within hours) then they lose nutrition, according to articles I have read, and even then you may get wastage as they could spoil on the vine.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The USDA lists the nutritional profiles of fresh (raw) and frozen vegetables. You can search here...

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
Old 19th August 2019, 04:33 PM   #14
Thor 2
Philosopher

Some serious food for thought here.

Could be a conspiracy where the fresh foods people are tampering with the labels on the frozen stuff. They either have infiltrators in the factories, medaling with the packaging, or an army of guys going to food stores and carrying out the work there.

On the other hand, although this is much less likely of course, it could be that you have limited skills in reading nutritional information.
Old 19th August 2019, 04:59 PM   #15
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Not all vegetables have a lot of nutrition. A half-cup serving of green beans has a lot of vitamin C (about a quarter of a day's recommended intake) and about an eighth of a day's recommended amount of dietary fiber, but no more than 6% of the recommended daily amount of any other vitamin or mineral. If you're an active adult it would have about 1.5 to 2% of the calories you need per day. They're part of a balanced diet. If you had to live on them alone you'd be in trouble. You'd need at least fifty cups or about 12 liters of them per day, and you'd still be deficient in other necessary nutrients.
Old 20th August 2019, 02:24 AM   #16
wea
Critical Thinker

Anyone else see this?
I've never seen this
Quote:
... ALL ... around here ... no nutrition .. Some weird regional thing?
where are you located?
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:42 AM   #17
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wea View Post
I've never seen this

where are you located?
France. We come from France.
Old 20th August 2019, 03:58 AM   #18
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

A lot of people guessed close, but the real reason is USDA labeling laws. Frozen is considered a (minimally) processed food but it needs only macro nutrients listed. All the vitamins and detailed information on its true nutritional content is not required on the label. Doesn't mean the frozen is less nutritious necessarily. Fresh doesn't need nutrients listed at all, so when you look them up, most places list a much more detailed analysis.

Could it be less nutritious? Yes. It could also be more nutritious too. Frozen veggies are often blanched before freezing so they last longer and higher quality frozen. But even this minimal cooking (dipping in boiling water for a couple seconds) will change the nutritional value a little, making some nutrients more available and others less.

The freezing process itself actually doesn't change the nutritional value much if any. All it does is slow decay. The food will still slowly deteriorate. Freezing at temps found in household freezers is not low enough to eliminate this decay. It would take a very long time to ruin it though, maybe years packaged correctly against freezer burn.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 20th August 2019 at 04:28 AM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 04:57 AM   #19
dann
Philosopher

I've been trying to think of a joke on deep state and deep freeze, but I couldn't come up with any. Anyone else?

Frozen food appears to be paleo, so it's gotta be healthy!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:07 AM   #20
dann
Philosopher

Unexpected side effects of frozen food (StyleCraze, July 24, 2019)
Expected side effects of reading the article. If you don't know anything about frozen food before you read it, you'll be a lot dumber when you've finished reading it.
(Most of the alleged side effects mentioned in the article have nothing to do with the food being frozen. Trans fats, for instance.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 08:06 AM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
A lot of people guessed close, but the real reason is USDA labeling laws. Frozen is considered a (minimally) processed food but it needs only macro nutrients listed. All the vitamins and detailed information on its true nutritional content is not required on the label. Doesn't mean the frozen is less nutritious necessarily. Fresh doesn't need nutrients listed at all, so when you look them up, most places list a much more detailed analysis.

Could it be less nutritious? Yes. It could also be more nutritious too. Frozen veggies are often blanched before freezing so they last longer and higher quality frozen. But even this minimal cooking (dipping in boiling water for a couple seconds) will change the nutritional value a little, making some nutrients more available and others less.

The freezing process itself actually doesn't change the nutritional value much if any. All it does is slow decay. The food will still slowly deteriorate. Freezing at temps found in household freezers is not low enough to eliminate this decay. It would take a very long time to ruin it though, maybe years packaged correctly against freezer burn.
Comparing this to your OP:

Quote:
Makes me want to quote the wisdom of XKCD

Old 20th August 2019, 08:17 AM   #22
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

You might have had one of those "Oh bugger!" moments It isn't RBF's o/p.

Now I'm wondering if I'm having an "Oh bugger!" moment, a Muphry's law jobbie.
Old 20th August 2019, 08:30 AM   #23
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post

^Exactly!

The middle paragraph can apply to taste too. For example if you are lucky enough to be in a location that has access to truly fresh corn (and a variety designed for human enjoyment, not silage) this fresh corn tastes amazing! Generally one finds it at farmers' markets or just a few excellent supermarkets and one needs to cook it within hours of it being picked. If you live further away, then frozen corn (usually blanched very soon after picking to inactivate the enzymes that convert sugars to starches) is the next best. "Fresh" corn in areas where it may be days old is the worse choice of all.

The same can apply to certain other vegetables and fruits. I think frozen cherries can taste better than some "fresh" cherries found in generic supermarkets.

Last edited by Giordano; 20th August 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
France. We come from France.
I'm on to you, Mr. DeChicco!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Thor 2
Philosopher

The OP was by "bigred" not "Red Baron Farms".
Old 20th August 2019, 02:34 PM   #26
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
The OP was by "bigred" not "Red Baron Farms".
What, aren't all the Red posters the same person? Like all the Don posters and the Jims and the Joes.

****, sorry RBF. That's what I get for fly-by posting. Mea culpa.

I see GlennB offered a gentle correction as well. Thanks to both of you.

Old 20th August 2019, 02:41 PM   #27
Thor 2
Philosopher

What, aren't all the Red posters the same person? Like all the Don posters and the Jims and the Joes.

****, sorry RBF. That's what I get for fly-by posting. Mea culpa.

I see GlennB offered a gentle correction as well. Thanks to both of you.

No worries. Go and sin no more.
Old 20th August 2019, 02:44 PM   #28
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
No worries. Go and sin no more.
Thank you. Hey, why is your hand on my thigh?

Old 20th August 2019, 03:00 PM   #29
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Better your thigh than your frozen carrot stick..
Old 20th August 2019, 03:58 PM   #30
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Better your thigh than your frozen carrot stick..
Why? We already know there is no nutrition involved.... if he doesn't swallow.

Last edited by casebro; 20th August 2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 20th August 2019, 08:16 PM   #31
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm wondering that, too.
Because they're frozen! duh.
No, because they have these things called labels on the package that tell you this information. "duh" indeed.

Wow - how sad that I actually needed to explain that.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Frozen vegetables are in a package with the nutritional facts printed on it.
Just when you gave me hope with that statement.....you added this:

Quote:
Fresh vegetables are typically sold loose, for you to box or bag yourself. Where are you finding the nutrition information for the fresh stuff, so that you can compare to frozen?
It's all over this thing called "the internet" FYI.

My bad for expecting a legit, adult answer. I forgot how much this place has morphied into KiddieLand. giggle.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 10:36 PM   #32
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

My bad for expecting a legit, adult answer. I forgot how much this place has morphied into KiddieLand. giggle.
Did you see this?

Quote:
Old 21st August 2019, 03:21 AM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

No, because they have these things called labels on the package that tell you this information. "duh" indeed.

What nutrients specifically differ and by how much? Can you show us some label comparisons to illustrate the point you're trying to make?
Old 21st August 2019, 05:14 AM   #34
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Or show us which specific nutrient is destroyed by freezing?

I do know that some varnishes and adhesives are effected by freezing, they might never set-up. But I don't think I want my veggies to 'set-up' anyhow.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:16 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you start a thread surely you should read read the responses before having a tantrum?
Old 21st August 2019, 06:58 AM   #36
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Personally I always cook frozen vegetables but don't always cook raw. I wonder if that's a relevant issue.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:54 AM   #37
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I actually looked at a label before writing my first reply and realized frozen vegetables don't have the same labeling as other foods. I'm starting to get depressed at the number of times I regret joining a thread intending to help someone.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 10:46 AM   #38
xjx388
Philosopher

If you found the nutritional information for fresh veggies on the internet, then it stands to reason that you could find the nutritional information for frozen veggies on the internet as well. And perhaps you might have stumbled on this article, which is written by the staff at Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, where you would learn that frozen produce retains more of their nutrition than fresh produce that had been stored for a few days.

Sometimes I think people ask easily Googled questions on here solely to fight with other posters who try to answer.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:27 AM   #39
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And perhaps you might have stumbled on this article, which is written by the staff at Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, where you would learn that frozen produce retains more of their nutrition than fresh produce that had been stored for a few days.
Looking at other articles on the 'net, it seems like the consensus is that it is pretty much a wash... sometimes fresh vegetables are more nutritious and sometimes frozen ones are.

But, as someone pointed out, frozen vegetables are more likely to be cooked before eating. Surprisingly, to me at least, that's pretty much a wash, too, with some vegetables being more nutritious after being cooked.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:00 PM   #40
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When you don't identify the vegetable(s), and you don't specify what the label says, and you don't link to WebMD or wherever else you're gleaning facts from, this amounts to Beavis commentary. It's not really possible to agree, rebut, or learn much of anything.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology