ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy

Old 11th September 2019, 02:49 PM   #1
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

First Exo-Planet with water!

https://www.space.com/alien-planet-k...arth-twin.html

Water vapour has been detected in the atmosphere of a super-Earth with habitable temperatures by UCL researchers in a world first.

K2-18b, which is eight times the mass of Earth, is now the only planet orbiting a star outside the Solar System, or 'exoplanet', known to have both water and temperatures that could support life.

Sadly we aren't going to be visiting anytime soon, first off, it's about 8x as massive as Earth, and second, it's 111 light years away.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Eight times, Yikes. I thought it was only twice the size of Earth.

I hope we get new data soon. Could be fun stuff.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

If it's twice the diameter, that implies eight times the mass. Two cubed, and all that. Your density may vary.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:10 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
If it's twice the diameter, that implies eight times the mass. Two cubed, and all that. Your density may vary.
Yep

The formula for the volume of a sphere is 4/3πr3

Double the diameter of a sphere, and the volume goes up by 8 times

10m diameter sphere = 524 m3
20m diameter sphere = 4188 m3
40m diameter sphere = 33510 m3

When you start cubing stuff, the numbers get very big, real quick!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:27 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Dibs!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:59 PM   #6
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I wonder what life would look like if it evolved there.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:47 AM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Flat?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:56 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Flat?

Not Oceanic Life.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:57 AM   #9
BillC
Bazooka Joe

If it's twice the diameter, 8 times the mass, and (big if) the same average density of earth, then the surface gravity would be twice that of earth. If gravitational compression has reduced its radius and increased its density, then the surface gravity would be higher.

Last edited by BillC; 12th September 2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: oops
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:59 AM   #10
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

What does the life that evolved on earth "look like"? It varies a bit. There are petunias and there are kangaroos. The life on the other planet may look something like these.

But I would love to see alien living organisms. To my mind, whether or not life exists elsewhere is by far the most interesting outstanding mystery.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:02 AM   #11
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Yes, this is true, but each increase puts you further way from the centre of gravity, which obeys an inverse square law. For objects of equal density, surface gravity varies in proportion with radius.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 04:10 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yep

The formula for the volume of a sphere is 4/3πr3

Double the diameter of a sphere, and the volume goes up by 8 times

10m diameter sphere = 524 m3
20m diameter sphere = 4188 m3
40m diameter sphere = 33510 m3

This is why a 3L bottle of Coke doesn't look much bigger than a 2L bottle of Coke.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:15 AM   #13
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Something that is absent, understandably, from press reports on the subject is how they detected the water.

Are they sure? It's my understanding that exoplanets are detected by noting periodic variations in starlight as planets occlude their suns. How would this method allow you to determine the chemical composition of the planet and its atmosphere?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 04:32 AM   #14
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
What does the life that evolved on earth "look like"? It varies a bit. There are petunias and there are kangaroos. The life on the other planet may look something like these.

But I would love to see alien living organisms. To my mind, whether or not life exists elsewhere is by far the most interesting outstanding mystery.
I think if there is complex life there is a lot you could speculate about, for example.

Carbon based.
Probably uses the same 20 amino acids as here if not all of them.
Something very similar to DNA & RNA if not exactly.
Made of cells.

If there are free swimming animals:
Bodyplan basically a tube with a mouth on one end and a pooper on the other.
Bilaterally symmetrical.
There is a lot more stuff like this.

Certain things just work better and it's likely evolution and chemistry will solve similar problems in similar ways.
I think it's quite likely alien 'fish' in similar niches to earth fish might look superficially very similar. Having a streamlined body with a flat tail on one end, to propel itself forward, and a mouth on the other end is just the best design.

Last edited by Cheetah; 12th September 2019 at 04:42 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:07 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

That is excessively unlikely.

There are over 100 amino acids, I think. That any one set of carbon-based life would use the same combination we use is very very improbable. That's the main reason why we know that all life on Earth today descends from the same unique cell.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:39 AM   #16
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That is excessively unlikely.

There are over 100 amino acids, I think. That any one set of carbon-based life would use the same combination we use is very very improbable. That's the main reason why we know that all life on Earth today descends from the same unique cell.

They are not equal though. A whole mix was available and life 'chose' a few. Amino acids need to link together to form peptide chains to form more complex structures. Some amino acids form chains more readily and more efficiently. The best ones were selected for.

Why does all life use the same 20 amino acids?

Last edited by Cheetah; 12th September 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:30 AM   #17
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Something that is absent, understandably, from press reports on the subject is how they detected the water.

Are they sure? It's my understanding that exoplanets are detected by noting periodic variations in starlight as planets occlude their suns. How would this method allow you to determine the chemical composition of the planet and its atmosphere?
They looked at the star light as the planet passed in front of the star and noted what absorption was occurring, because water and other chemicals absorb certain parts of the spectrum. Water has a very distinctive absorption in the IR part of the spectrum, so by looking at the light before and comparing it to that as the planet passes, if you see the absorption of those frequencies in the IR part of the spectrum, then you can say that the starlight had to pass through water, and the only source of that water is the planet.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:08 AM   #18
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Wet.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:17 AM   #19
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Tastes remarkably like chicken.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

I didn't see mentioned ... would not the gravity of that planet preclude humans settling there ... could a landing party leave the planet (due to the increased escape velocity needed)

Realistically even a small increase in gravity, would cause a human's blood to pool in the legs, creating numerous medical problems.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:20 AM   #21
Elagabalus
Illuminator

EARTH TO WATERWORLD:

"Prepare to be squished under the almighty heel of Earth's jack fins!!"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:25 AM   #22
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Let me know when they find the first exo-planet with beer.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:31 AM   #23
Venom
Master Poster

Underwater octopus-like.

Poor things never had a chance with fire.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:41 AM   #24
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Almost everyday now a wild ass fantasy science fiction story of my youth hits the headlines as something brand new in the sight of Man.

You want to know about this world? Read Mission of Gravity the science fiction novel by American writer Hal Clement. The novel was serialized in Astounding Science Fiction magazine in April–July 1953. (per our friends at Wiki -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_of_Gravity )

Old 12th September 2019, 11:46 AM   #25
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
If it's twice the diameter, 8 times the mass, and (big if) the same average density of earth, then the surface gravity would be twice that of earth. If gravitational compression has reduced its radius and increased its density, then the surface gravity would be higher.
I looked at the paper, and the density they derived was ~ 3.3 g/cm3. Earth's is ~ 5.5 g/cm3. My quick calcs showed a surface gravity of ~ 1.5 x Earth's. Not so bad if you evolved there.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:48 AM   #26
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Maybe like an entire world of Amazon Warrior Mermaids wearing svelte form fitting Neoprene™ ready to enslave all Earth men for the purpose of copulating with them!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:51 PM   #27
Deadie
New Blood

I think if there is complex life there is a lot you
Certain things just work better and it's likely evolution and chemistry will solve similar problems in similar ways.
I think it's quite likely alien 'fish' in similar niches to earth fish might look superficially very similar. Having a streamlined body with a flat tail on one end, to propel itself forward, and a mouth on the other end is just the best design.
Covergent evolution, I agree. Life finds a way, and that way seems to be whatever is the easiest solution.

When I was a child I was absolutely fascinated (and still am) by how strikingly similar in form and function many species of ichthyosaurs and modern cetaceans are despite how far removed they are from one another genetically.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:35 PM   #28
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Scott Manley has done a YouTube on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG38Ei8R_08

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The water is in the atmosphere. The surface could be too hot for liquid water to exist.
It was detected by the absorption lines of the light that goes though the atmosphere.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:38 PM   #29
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

They detected water vapour in the atmosphere. And the planet is in the habitable zone in which liquid water can exist. But water is a greenhouse gas, and there could be other greenhouse gases in it's atmosphere. Venus has water vapour in it's atmosphere (0.002%) and is in the habitable zone, but there's certainly no liquid water on Venus' surface.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't liquid water on this planet, only that because we don't know the full composition and density of it's atmosphere it's premature to conclude that it has liquid water. Still, this is an exciting finding!
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:01 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think if there is complex life there is a lot you could speculate about, for example.

Carbon based.
Something very similar to DNA & RNA if not exactly.
Made of cells.

If there are free swimming animals:
Bodyplan basically a tube with a mouth on one end and a pooper on the other.
Bilaterally symmetrical.
There is a lot more stuff like this.

Basically, I agree with your thinking here.

Life is fundamentally just chemistry; complex chemistry for sure but chemistry nonetheless. Also, evolution and environment are inter-relational - if the environment of this planet was similar to that of the Earth at the equivalent time after its formation, then it seems logical to me that the chemical reaction known as abiogenesis might result in similar chemical reactions. Life on such a planet, at least at the microscopic level could be very similar to that on the Earth.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:32 PM   #31
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

If it has oceans and temperatures comparable to earth, the higher mass might not be a problem for fish-like creatures in the oceans. If there is also land, there could be land-based creatures adapted to the higher G.

Still hoping we find something closer to earth, but 111 light years is relatively close, on the galactic scale. The radius of the Milky Way is about 50,000 light years, so it's in our neighborhood, but not next door.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:41 PM   #32
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Almost everyday now a wild ass fantasy science fiction story of my youth hits the headlines as something brand new in the sight of Man.

You want to know about this world? Read Mission of Gravity the science fiction novel by American writer Hal Clement. The novel was serialized in Astounding Science Fiction magazine in April–July 1953. (per our friends at Wiki -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_of_Gravity )

Quote:
The story is set on a highly oblate planet named Mesklin, which has surface gravity that varies between 700 g at the poles and 3 g at the equator.
That doesn't seem possible to me. There's a reason why the larger the planet, the closer to a sphere it becomes.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:31 AM   #33
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That doesn't seem possible to me. There's a reason why the larger the planet, the closer to a sphere it becomes.
Saturn is more oblate than Earth.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:36 AM   #34
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Well, I stand corrected. I still doubt that a planet like the one in that story would be found in nature.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:45 AM   #35
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Saturn is like that because it spins rapidly. Once an object gets big enough (and that size is smaller than the moon) it is round and the main deformity would be due to spin. A planet going around the sun as close as this one would probably be tidally locked. If there was life on the planet it would be confined to a ring where the sun was low on the horizon.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:25 AM   #36
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Saturn is like that because it spins rapidly. Once an object gets big enough (and that size is smaller than the moon) it is round and the main deformity would be due to spin. A planet going around the sun as close as this one would probably be tidally locked. If there was life on the planet it would be confined to a ring where the sun was low on the horizon.
I agree with you, though there was this in the article linked in the OP:

Quote:
The alien planet may therefore be "tidally locked" to its star, always showing the red dwarf the same face, just as Earth's moon only ever shows its near side to us. But this would not be a dealbreaker for the existence of life.

"A tidally locked planet can also be habitable," said Ingo Waldmann of CSED, a member of Tsiaras' team. Modeling studies suggest that "the energy from the dayside can be quite equally distributed to the nightside," Waldmann added.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 04:25 AM   #37
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I agree with you, though there was this in the article linked in the OP:
I wonder if plants could grow without sunlight in the dark side? Come to think of it plant life would be a struggle if the sun is low in the sky and emits mainly in the infrared. Not much energy would get to the ground.
Old 13th September 2019, 04:43 AM   #38
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

Oh no, not again.
Old 13th September 2019, 03:38 PM   #39
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
They looked at the star light as the planet passed in front of the star and noted what absorption was occurring, because water and other chemicals absorb certain parts of the spectrum. Water has a very distinctive absorption in the IR part of the spectrum, so by looking at the light before and comparing it to that as the planet passes, if you see the absorption of those frequencies in the IR part of the spectrum, then you can say that the starlight had to pass through water, and the only source of that water is the planet.
The fact that they can do this is simply amazing.

Suppose that the planet is marginally Earth-like. Earth is a big rock, surrounded by a little envelope of gas, a small portion of which is water. You can't take a picture of the planet, but as the planet passes in front of the star, the light from the star gets a little bit dimmer. How much dimmer depends on the size of the rock. So, they can measure that change in brightness, and figure that if the star is getting dimmer at periodic intervals, there must be a planet passing in front of it. Now, to detect the water, they have to say that specific components of the starlight are dimmed by a small fraction of the size of the gas envelope surrounding the rock, which is partially transparent to some light, but less transparent to other light.

And from that they can figure out that there's an atmosphere with water.

It's pretty amazing stuff, really.

I must admit that as I see reports of really strange configurations of planets being discovered, especially if there are really huge planets with very short orbits, I have to wonder if there might be some other explanations for the periodicity of light shifts, and I wonder just how clear the light shifts really are. If you were to plot out successive light measurements on a graph, would it really be obvious that there were periodic changes in intensity, or is this the sort of thing that can only be sorted out by taking Fourier transforms and picking out the relevant frequencies, which are too faint to be noticed by humans looking at a chart?

I'm not expecting answers to that, by the way. I assume that these guys check each others' math and that regardless of how they are doing it, it's pretty clear that there are planets. I'm just marveling that it's possible.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 04:24 PM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I must admit that as I see reports of really strange configurations of planets being discovered, especially if there are really huge planets with very short orbits, I have to wonder if there might be some other explanations for the periodicity of light shifts, and I wonder just how clear the light shifts really are. If you were to plot out successive light measurements on a graph, would it really be obvious that there were periodic changes in intensity, or is this the sort of thing that can only be sorted out by taking Fourier transforms and picking out the relevant frequencies, which are too faint to be noticed by humans looking at a chart?

I'm not expecting answers to that, by the way. I assume that these guys check each others' math and that regardless of how they are doing it, it's pretty clear that there are planets. I'm just marveling that it's possible.

Here is some information about Kepler 37, which has at least four planets orbiting it. Light curves for three are shown.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_235681889

Kepler 37b is not very obvious without the resultant curve shown, but 37c and 37d are very obvious.

NOTE: Don't be confused by the notations - the chart marked "a" is 37b, "b" is 37c, and "c" is 37d.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology