IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andy Bichlbaum , media criticism , media incidents , newsmax

Old 12th September 2021, 11:56 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Newsmax fooled by a fake Paul Wolfowitz. Twice. Live on air

Credit to Fark for this:

Newsmax fooled by a fake Paul Wolfowitz. Twice. Live on air

Quote:
It’s embarrassing for a news channel to get tricked by pranksters. It’s really embarrassing when the pranksters run pretty much the exact same prank and the news channel falls for it all over again.

That’s exactly what happened to Newsmax, when they told their viewers they were interviewing Paul Wolfowitz, who served as Deputy Secretary of Defense for George W. Bush, being a part of the former president’s Cabinet on September 11, 2001.
You have to read it to believe it. Newsmax was fooled twice by a man pretending to be Wolfowitz. They interviewed "Wolfowitz" on August 21, then, not realizing they'd been fooled, called him back for another interview for September 11. The second time, he decided to launch into Newsmax, and this is what happened:

Quote:
Bichlbaum wasted little time once he was live on air, launching into a rant about how “new master terrorists” had arisen that made the 9/1 (sic) hijackers look like “rank amateurs.”

“I’ve got to tell you, Newsmax is a much bigger threat to America than the hijackers of 9/11,” said Bichlbaum right before they cut him off.
You'd think they'd by now realize they'd been had. NO, THEY DIDN'T:

Quote:
The Newsmax panel were all shocked by Bichlbaum’s remarks but, somehow, incredibly, still seemed to have not one darn clue that this was not actually Wolfowitz who was making these stunning comments.

Watch the clip above starting around the 1:25 mark when they drop his call; they cut him off with “thank you for your service!” and then there are multiple comments about how this was “embarrassing” and “unfortunate” from a former Deputy Secretary of Defense, on a day that was supposed to be about “unity and bringing people together.”

“He was at the Pentagon that day and you would think that he wouldn’t chose this moment to be, frankly, hateful and intolerant,” said Basile — who, again, does actually know the real Wolfowitz in real life.
What a bunch of morons!

The clips of both interviews are embedded in the link above.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard

Last edited by shemp; 12th September 2021 at 11:58 AM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 12:03 PM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not fond of spoofing news organizations, as biased as they may be. I'd think there'd be some legal repercussions here, like fraud or something.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:06 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm not fond of spoofing news organizations, as biased as they may be. I'd think there'd be some legal repercussions here, like fraud or something.
Fraud? If Newsmax was paying for access that would be even more embarrassing.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:12 PM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Doesn't fraud in the USA require the alleged victim to establish injury or material loss?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 12:13 PM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

"That's all milk under the table"

WTAF?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 12:23 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Doesn't fraud in the USA require the alleged victim to establish injury or material loss?
If this is rhetorical, please just save us all some time and get on with your rhetoric. If this is honest ignorance, Google is your friend where I am not.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:25 PM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
"That's all milk under the table"

WTAF?
Who's crying now.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:48 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Deserves four laughing dogs this one.

Freaking hilarious!!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 12:54 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If this is rhetorical, please just save us all some time and get on with your rhetoric. If this is honest ignorance, Google is your friend where I am not.
Google is my friend, and apparently it is also catsmate's friend!

https://www.mitchell-attorneys.com/common-law-fraud

In the United States, common law generally identifies nine elements needed to establish fraud:

(1) a representation of fact;
(2) its falsity;
(3) its materiality;
(4) the representer’s knowledge of its falsity or ignorance of its truth;
(5) the representer’s intent that it should be acted upon by the person in the manner reasonably contemplated;
(6) the injured party’s ignorance of its falsity;
(7) the injured party’s reliance on its truth;
(8) the injured party’s right to rely thereon;
(9) the injured party’s consequent and proximate injury
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th September 2021 at 12:56 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 11:04 PM   #10
Susheel
Master Poster

Didn't the Yes Men do something similar on BBC? With one of them posing as a representative of Dow Chemicals, Jude Finestarra, and expressing how sorry they were and accepting responsibility for the Bhopa gas leak? Dow Chemicals literally had to mobilize their entire PR team to counter that without being seen as callous capitalists seeking profits at any cost.
Old 12th September 2021, 11:09 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

In any organization where it is less important to be competent than it is to be ideologically "sound* this kind of ****** will happen.
Old 13th September 2021, 03:50 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Google is my friend, and apparently it is also catsmate's friend!

https://www.mitchell-attorneys.com/common-law-fraud

In the United States, common law generally identifies nine elements needed to establish fraud:

(1) a representation of fact;
(2) its falsity;
(3) its materiality;
(4) the representer’s knowledge of its falsity or ignorance of its truth;
(5) the representer’s intent that it should be acted upon by the person in the manner reasonably contemplated;
(6) the injured party’s ignorance of its falsity;
(7) the injured party’s reliance on its truth;
(8) the injured party’s right to rely thereon;
(9) the injured party’s consequent and proximate injury
So basically no chance of successful civil or criminal action. I can't see those idiots demonstrating injury from this.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 04:07 AM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So basically no chance of successful civil or criminal action. I can't see those idiots demonstrating injury from this.
The proverbial ice-cube's chance of remaining unmelted in hell I would think.

They have been well and truly punked... twice, by the same guy. Stupid is as stupid does!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events