IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2022, 02:14 PM   #1
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Oklahoma Legislator wants to ban books

SB1142 provides a mechanism to remove "books that make as their primary subject the study of sex, sexual preferences, sexual activity, sexual perversion, sex-based classifications, sexual identity , or gender identity or books that are of a sexual nature that a reasonable parent or legal guardian would want to know of or approve of prior to their child being exposed to it."
Old 4th January 2022, 02:16 PM   #2
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't everything get said about this over in the Critical Race Theory thread?
Old 4th January 2022, 02:16 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
SB1142 provides a mechanism to remove "books that make as their primary subject the study of sex, sexual preferences, sexual activity, sexual perversion, sex-based classifications, sexual identity , or gender identity or books that are of a sexual nature that a reasonable parent or legal guardian would want to know of or approve of prior to their child being exposed to it."
That seems entirely reasonable.
Old 4th January 2022, 02:19 PM   #4
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Edit: Scratch that, this stuff belongs in the Critical Race Theory thread where it is already being discussed in the appropriate context.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 4th January 2022 at 02:22 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 02:47 PM   #5
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Standridge
Our education system is not the place to teach moral lessons that should instead be left up to parents and families. Unfortunately, however, more and more schools are trying to indoctrinate students by exposing them to gender, sexual and racial identity curriculums and courses. My bills will ensure these types of lessons stay at home and out of the classroom.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 02:49 PM   #6
Venom
Philosopher

Yes who could have predicted it; another token proposal to appease the Moral Majority and Q-nuts.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 03:06 PM   #7
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Edit: Scratch that, this stuff belongs in the Critical Race Theory thread where it is already being discussed in the appropriate context.
Really? CWs are so far away from the actual content of Critical Race Theory that it now includes sex and gender issues?

Woof.
Old 4th January 2022, 03:07 PM   #8
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I cannot tell if you're being serious here.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
CWs are so far away from the actual content of Critical Race Theory that it now includes sex and gender issues?
Intersectionality theory always did that, but only in a fairly limited sense.

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
...another token proposal to appease the Moral Majority and Q-nuts.
Agreed; I doubt Standridge will get much support even here in Oklahoma.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th January 2022 at 03:18 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 03:14 PM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Golly, I wonder how that will be determined...
Old 4th January 2022, 03:26 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I cannot tell if you're being serious here.
I'm being entirely serious. But I've been ignoring the CRT thread, so I may not be carrying a lot of the same baggage as some of the other commenters.
Old 4th January 2022, 04:10 PM   #11
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I've been ignoring the CRT thread...
You've missed nothing of substance, of late.

I'm being entirely serious.
What is the serious justification for removing books like this one from school libraries?

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th January 2022 at 04:12 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 04:29 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Wait. I read the bill.
It says it applies to all public schools. That would mean public high schools.

Furthermore, all it takes is one single parent and there is no appeal process.

So the result will be no sex education texts in public schools inside that state.
Ignorance becomes the new god that must be worshipped.

We are in the 21st Century and we have people in power who believe that if we never discuss sex then adolescents will lose interest in it.

…………..
There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce.
- Mark Twain

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th January 2022 at 04:30 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 04:39 PM   #13
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Is Senator Standridge aware of this thing called the internet?

You know, the place where most U.S. (at least) schoolchildren now get their sexual information.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 04:48 PM   #14
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
We are in the 21st Century and we have people in power who believe that if we never discuss sex then adolescents will lose interest in it.
Nevermind the fact that teen childbearing is at its lowest since the 1950s according to the CDC. Maybe the morality police should celebrate the factors that have led to the decline?
Old 4th January 2022, 04:53 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What is the serious justification for removing books like this one from school libraries?
It's an elementary school.
Old 4th January 2022, 04:57 PM   #16
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Were this bill to pass, it would apply to all public schools.
Old 4th January 2022, 04:58 PM   #17
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Man, this guy has issues. His browser history must be really, colorful.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 05:22 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Were this bill to pass, it would apply to all public schools.
There seems to be an unstated assumption here.
Old 4th January 2022, 05:27 PM   #19
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

There seems to be an unstated assumption here.
Have you looked at the bill?
Old 4th January 2022, 05:55 PM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm first in line to report the Holy Bible after checking out Ezekiel 23.
Old 4th January 2022, 06:09 PM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'm first in line to report the Holy Bible after checking out Ezekiel 23.
How about the entire Book of Solomon?

Last edited by Craig4; 4th January 2022 at 06:13 PM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 06:38 PM   #22
Venom
Philosopher

How many books of that subject matter are available for elementary schoolers in the first place? I don't think too many.
Old 4th January 2022, 06:49 PM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
How many books of that subject matter are available for elementary schoolers in the first place? I don't think too many.
The Holy Bible at least? Surely?
Old 4th January 2022, 07:26 PM   #24
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Eliminating books about sex from libraries is reasonable?

Surely, ye jest.
Old 4th January 2022, 07:29 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's not what the bill says.

Granted the bill is poorly even ridiculously worded.
Old 4th January 2022, 08:08 PM   #26
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

One of the things objected to is "gender identity." Does that not include ordinary traditional ideas of gender identity and roles? It would appear that one person objecting to the gendered character of any person in any book would, technically, be enough to have it removed. Good bye Little House in the Prairie, Stuart Little, Ferdinand the Bull?

I am of course not in that district, but I think if I were, and if I were still a parent of a school age child, I'd orchestrate a "denial of service" style attack. Get every parent who objects to the law to phone in a book a day. Any book that deals with the idea of a girl being a girl, or a boy being a boy, is a book with "gender identity" at its core. Any book that deals with marriage or romance between people has sexual preference as a basic core element. Off it comes. We might even have to object to the Bible, in which God is gendered. Unless you're a god or a robot, gender identity is pretty much built in. And that's the case even if you hate mine or I hate yours.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2022, 10:11 PM   #27
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Intersectionality theory always did that, but only in a fairly limited sense.
I'm fairly certain that critical race theory and sexuality and gender issues are not, themselves, inherently intersectionality theory. One can discuss them separately.

I still don't understand SuburbanTurkey's point.
Old 4th January 2022, 10:18 PM   #28
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What is an elementary school? There is no specific school mentioned in the bill, only " a public school district, public charter school, or public school
library". Are you aware of some piece of context that hasn't been presented in the thread?
Old 4th January 2022, 10:24 PM   #29
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What is an elementary school? There is no specific school mentioned in the bill, only " a public school district, public charter school, or public school
library". Are you aware of some piece of context that hasn't been presented in the thread?
Basically the bill says any book that educates about sex in a school library can be removed if a parent objects to it.
Old 5th January 2022, 02:08 AM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Two things: it has 'sexual mating" in the title and likely views it from a scientific and anthropological viewpoint instead of a religious one.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 03:24 AM   #31
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

Look it's all for the best.

1: This law will help to increase pregnancies, thus creating more workers
2: This law will stop sexual abuse, because now parents and guardians can tell children what is normal and thus there will be no more reports.
3: This law will help people be miserable to conform to traditional roles even if they feel differently and thus help with mental health professionals and re-education camps having jobs.

There is just no downside.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 06:17 AM   #32
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Really? CWs are so far away from the actual content of Critical Race Theory that it now includes sex and gender issues?

Woof.
The same legislator is advancing this bill alongside an anti-CRT bill, SB 1141.

They are both products of a conspiratorial right that firmly believes that the teaching profession is infiltrated by Marxists trying to turn children into degenerates
Old 5th January 2022, 06:19 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
How about the entire Book of Solomon?
Not likely to be in many USA bibles in the south is it?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 06:25 AM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not likely to be in many USA bibles in the south is it?
Too bad, it's great erotica.
Old 5th January 2022, 08:13 AM   #35
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

It impresses me that both right-wing conservatives and tinpot dictators seem to be terribly concerned with sex in general.
This is nothing new…. Back when I was a great deal younger, the city of St. Louis banned the musical “Hair” from performing at the St. Louis venues…. This largely at the urging of one of the aldermen’s wives…. A real bluenose.
Then, they banned the sale of Xaviera Hollander’s “The Happy Hooker” which had just come out.
This resulted in the situation where you could hardly go into someone’s home without seeing a copy on display on the coffee table… Read or not.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 08:25 AM   #36
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm actually OK with the basic intent, but the implementation seems problematic. Which books qualify is ill defined. Worse, the way it's worded suggests that if a parent objects to a book, the book must be removed or someone gets fired. I don't see anything in there about evaluating the validity of the objection, which would mean that basically any complaint will result in removal of the book. So while I think there really is a problem with schools carrying inappropriate books that parents have a right to object to, this law as written seems ripe for abuse.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 08:27 AM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Eliminating books about sex from libraries is reasonable?

Surely, ye jest.
Some books from some libraries, absolutely.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 08:28 AM   #38
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Look it's all for the best.

1: This law will help to increase pregnancies, thus creating more workers
2: This law will stop sexual abuse, because now parents and guardians can tell children what is normal and thus there will be no more reports.
3: This law will help people be miserable to conform to traditional roles even if they feel differently and thus help with mental health professionals and re-education camps having jobs.

There is just no downside.
And if the Republicans get their way, many will be relieved of the burden of voting too.

This kind of law always reminds me of a little clipping I saved, undated and unattributed but probably around 1970, and probably from the Saturday Review: "The Fort Lauderdale (Florida) City Commission just passed an ordinance banning obscenity in books, magazines and records. The law is so specific that it is obscene in itself and cannot be made public." This one, by contrast, is vague, but so inclusive that it might do much the same thing.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)

Last edited by bruto; 5th January 2022 at 08:40 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 08:36 AM   #39
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm actually OK with the basic intent, but the implementation seems problematic. Which books qualify is ill defined. Worse, the way it's worded suggests that if a parent objects to a book, the book must be removed or someone gets fired. I don't see anything in there about evaluating the validity of the objection, which would mean that basically any complaint will result in removal of the book. So while I think there really is a problem with schools carrying inappropriate books that parents have a right to object to, this law as written seems ripe for abuse.
Of course it's ripe for abuse, and it's no accident that it was written that way. It was the point, actually.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2022, 08:41 AM   #40
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
It impresses me that both right-wing conservatives and tinpot dictators seem to be terribly concerned with sex in general.
This is nothing new…. Back when I was a great deal younger, the city of St. Louis banned the musical “Hair” from performing at the St. Louis venues…. This largely at the urging of one of the aldermen’s wives…. A real bluenose.
Then, they banned the sale of Xaviera Hollander’s “The Happy Hooker” which had just come out.
This resulted in the situation where you could hardly go into someone’s home without seeing a copy on display on the coffee table… Read or not.
This law strikes me as more an anti-queer (especially anti-trans) thing than anything. Conservatives frequently cloak their bigotry as a concern about perversion, but the sweeping language of this bill makes it clear that any book that speaks directly to the issues of sexual or gender identity would be on the chopping block.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics