IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #401
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It might be. But this I think might be an impractical application of that law. You want hundreds of people to face felony murder charges? Where then does the application of that law stop?
Capitol front door?
Old 8th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #402
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are simply lying
Thats very "meta".
Old 8th January 2021, 02:07 PM   #403
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
They were, that's why they shot the lawbreaker threatening the people they were sworn to protect.
That is where we have a difference. You think breaking the law sufficient reason to kill someone. I do not.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:07 PM   #404
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see that Pelosi is determined to start impeachment process on Monday if the 25th Amendment isn't invoked or if Trump doesn't resign. Kevin McCarthy is desperately trying to prevent that. He says that is too divisive.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:08 PM   #405
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I've got good money on "Molotov Cocktails are not bombs" so you people better not get lazy on the pedantry I've come to expect from your lot.
I forgot about those. You're right.

I wish to revise and extend my previous remarks.

Molotov cocktails were found in the Capitol. They were not ignited or thrown.

To answer a previous quesiton, sealioning is the act of pretending to argue in good faith. A common form of sealioning is demanding answers to a long series of questions without ever addressing the primary issues of the argument.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:09 PM   #406
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh... oh that's perfect. Bravo. *Chef's kiss*
Yes, you gotta respect that, right? Well done!

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:09 PM   #407
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I would accept Molotov cocktails as bombs. Were there Molotov cocktails thrown in the capitol? (I'd better go and google that before darat sends me another helpful link.)

ETA
No Molotov cocktails thrown in or at the capitol?
Your google is weak.

Probably just a man out walking his dogma.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #408
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That is where we have a difference. You think breaking the law sufficient reason to kill someone. I do not.
Then go start a thread about your trolley problem and stop trolling this one.
\
Old 8th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #409
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yes, they were protecting all such people behind them against a violent mob. Would you suggest they just stand aside, maybe hand out visitor badges to the mob trying to reach the legislators and their staffs?

"Come on through, ma'am. You'll find most of Congress down the hall on the right. If you turn left, Vice President Pence will be behind the third door on the right. Be careful of the Secret Service agents! Have a nice day!"
No I would say pepper spray, taser, strike with a baton, hand cuff.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #410
Distracted1
Philosopher

That is where we have a difference. You think breaking the law sufficient reason to kill someone (who has a different political or philosophical outlook) I do not.
That is what you are observing.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #411
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

And you think shooting at someone automatically kills them. I know better. The assault on Congress was halted at the choke point, the very last chance to stop the mob that PUT A GALLOWS ON THE CAPITOL LAWN. You'd be condemning death either way, whether it's of the mob finding out their targets are defended, or that mob finding their targets are undefended and stringing up as many as they please.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #412
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Depends on the law. Attacking our democratic institutions?

It is sufficient.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #413
Planigale
Philosopher

Your google is weak.

Probably just a man out walking his dogma.
Well i have to give you that that is quite a good pun.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #414
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Did someone get water on Bob and make him multiply?
Old 8th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #415
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

What is sealioning?

Might is the operative word. Still miss the significance of the backpack. I may be ignorant or naive or stupid but you could still explain the facts as you see them.

Inner sanctum is an interesting term. It is just a room. A room with people in. People who are the same as any other people. Actually the same as the person trying to climb in. Fundamentally her life is as valuable as any senator or congressman. In general killing people to suppress a riot is not regarded as good policing.
OKAY...

THERE... WERE... PIPE... BOMBS... AND... MOLOTOV... COCKTAILS... DEPOSITED.... DURING... THE... ACTUAL... ATTEMPT... TO... OVERTURN... A... DEMOCRATIC... DECISION

You don't need to give terrorists the benefit of the doubt when they are engaged in a violent attack.

If she was a suicide bomber, do you wait until you are sure?
When she's already demonstrated that she is engaging in a terrorist attack?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #416
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I forgot about those. You're right.

I wish to revise and extend my previous remarks.

Molotov cocktails were found in the Capitol. They were not ignited or thrown.

To answer a previous quesiton, sealioning is the act of pretending to argue in good faith. A common form of sealioning is demanding answers to a long series of questions without ever addressing the primary issues of the argument.
Expect a correction that the protestor with the Cocktails was merely among the protestors near the capitol building and had not yet entered the building. Also, the cocktails were not yet assembled, but since assembly and deployment seem tightly connected, I don't see why that matters much. But offer you this glimpse into your future . . . free of charge.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #417
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I would hope they are sworn to uphold the law, and protect all people regardless of race, sex, religion or job.
Yes, and protection sometimes means using deadly force in self-defense and in defense of those whom they are sworn to protect. If you don't want to get shot, don't violently storm a govt building with hundreds of others, then attempt to access a chamber even though you were warned against it; inside are number of armed men pointing guns at you, completely unsure of your intent, because, you know, riot. She brought violence with her, and it was returned. Such things occur in an insurrection. This is a sad fact.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #418
Paul2
Philosopher

I would hope they are sworn to uphold the law, and protect all people regardless of race, sex, religion or job.
Except those people who pose some level of risk of being a danger to some person or persons. You're *not* going to to protect a person if, by doing so, that person may well wind up harming another.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #419
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The law disagrees with you.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #420
Meadmaker

That is a complete misreading of SGM's statement.

Her statement:
Quote:
They were, that's why they shot the lawbreaker threatening the people they were sworn to protect.
The key word in the sentence is not "lawbreaker". The key word is "threatening". Ashli Babbit was not killed because she broke the law. She was killed because she, and the mob behind her, presented a real threat to the Congressmen inside the House chamber.

Using the "reasonable person" standard of self defense and justification of the use of deadly force, a reasonable person would conclude that the Congressmen were in danger of death or great bodily harm. Under those circumstances, lethal force is justified in self defense or the defense of others.

I'm not happy that she's dead, but, based on the evidence available to us, killing her was justified.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #421
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Reality also disagrees with them.

And reality disagrees with you and you keep not taking reality's side on purpose in an argument, there's a term for that.

Lying.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #422
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Did you see the photo of the terrorist I showed? I can't remember which chamber he was in.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #423
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tried there. No bombs in capitol, no info on shots fired, numbers not known, no information on mechanism of injury. But thank you for your informative post.
No you haven’t, why lie?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #424
Paul2
Philosopher

I see that Pelosi is determined to start impeachment process on Monday if the 25th Amendment isn't invoked or if Trump doesn't resign. Kevin McCarthy is desperately trying to prevent that. He says that is too divisive.
There's something even worse than riling up Trump's base (which is what McCarthy really means by "divisive"), and that is having a further breakdown of democracy by not holding those responsible accountable for what we saw Wednesday.

McCarthy can go shove it. *He's* the one responsible for divisiveness for supporting Trump for the last 4 years. Christ, gimme a break.

The country is done with this crap. Dems move on impeachment within a week; Mitt Romney tells off his fellow Repubs on the floor of the Senate. Enough certainly is enough.

Old 8th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #425
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Did you see the photo of the terrorist I showed? I can't remember which chamber he was in.
That one was from the Senate.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #426
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Thats very "meta".
No, it is simply calling out your lies.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #427
Paul2
Philosopher

While the rest of the mob rushes right past you, or, worse, tries to prevent you from doing what you suggest?

Old 8th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #428
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wow - I can’t even see the goalposts with my telescope that can see the rings of Saturn!
Old 8th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #429
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That is what you are observing.
Another lie.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:21 PM   #430
Distracted1
Philosopher

Her statement:

The key word in the sentence is not "lawbreaker". The key word is "threatening". Ashli Babbit was not killed because she broke the law. She was killed because she, and the mob behind her, presented a real threat to the Congressmen inside the House chamber.

Using the "reasonable person" standard of self defense and justification of the use of deadly force, a reasonable person would conclude that the Congressmen were in danger of death or great bodily harm. Under those circumstances, lethal force is justified in self defense or the defense of others.

I'm not happy that she's dead, but, based on the evidence available to us, killing her was justified.
You are arguing that she was summarily executed as an example!.

Bravo!
Old 8th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #431
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
And you think shooting at someone automatically kills them. I know better. The assault on Congress was halted at the choke point, the very last chance to stop the mob that PUT A GALLOWS ON THE CAPITOL LAWN. You'd be condemning death either way, whether it's of the mob finding out their targets are defended, or that mob finding their targets are undefended and stringing up as many as they please.
I know that shooting some one does not necessarily kill them. I do accept that if you open fire on someone, you should shoot to kill. That shooting to wound is a Hollywood fantasy. i had wondered whether someone climbing through a window could have been shot in the arm, but I think that if you shoot you shoot to kill.

Did this murdering mob open fire through the window? Were any shots fired by the rioters? The only shots fired I can find by limited googling (Thanks Darat for the advice, ever helpful), were by the police. Of course this officer might not know that other shots were fired by police, and that would be a reason for believing violence was occurring.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #432
Meadmaker

I've got good money on "Molotov Cocktails are not bombs" so you people better not get lazy on the pedantry I've come to expect from your lot.
To be fair, I think Planigale is seriously wrong on this point, but I'm not sure she's part of a "lot".
Old 8th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #433
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Cool story. And what do you propose they do with the dozens coming in after she gets treated so sweetly?

I'm more against law enforcement overreactions than most people, but this was a mob that was already inside a building illegally, directly attacking our elected government. Deadly force was more than appropriate under the circumstances.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:25 PM   #434
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I know that shooting some one does not necessarily kill them. I do accept that if you open fire on someone, you should shoot to kill. That shooting to wound is a Hollywood fantasy. i had wondered whether someone climbing through a window could have been shot in the arm, but I think that if you shoot you shoot to kill.

Did this murdering mob open fire through the window? Were any shots fired by the rioters? The only shots fired I can find by limited googling (Thanks Darat for the advice, ever helpful), were by the police. Of course this officer might not know that other shots were fired by police, and that would be a reason for believing violence was occurring.
Please stop.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:25 PM   #435
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
While the rest of the mob rushes right past you, or, worse, tries to prevent you from doing what you suggest?
I think the window was only big enough for one person, (with a large back pack), pepper spraying her or tasering her halfway through effectively blocks the hole?
Old 8th January 2021, 02:25 PM   #436
Meadmaker

Expect a correction that the protestor with the Cocktails was merely among the protestors near the capitol building and had not yet entered the building. Also, the cocktails were not yet assembled, but since assembly and deployment seem tightly connected, I don't see why that matters much. But offer you this glimpse into your future . . . free of charge.
What's an unassembled Molotov cocktail? A bottle of gasoline that has a cap instead of a wick?
Old 8th January 2021, 02:26 PM   #437
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Her statement:

And even in gun-shy UK such a shooting would be totally acceptable, it would be lawful, and of course only my opinion would have been accepted as morally OK.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:26 PM   #438
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think the window was only big enough for one person, (with a large back pack), pepper spraying her or tasering her halfway through effectively blocks the hole?

You are literally embarrassing yourself.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:26 PM   #439
Planigale
Philosopher

Please stop.
OK.

Thank you for the advice.

Off to work.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:27 PM   #440
Meadmaker

You are arguing that she was summarily executed as an example!.

Bravo!
Learn to read.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics