IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 10:24 AM   #2121
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love how if... last summer I had suggested the possibility that pro-Trump rioters were going to storm the Capital, lead to the deaths of 4 people, openly calling for the executions of Pelosi and Pence, be photographed stealing podiums and putting their feet on desks that the exact same people downplaying it now would have been screeching about what a "hyperbolic strawman" the mere suggestion was.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:48 AM   #2122
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I love how if... last summer I had suggested the possibility that pro-Trump rioters were going to storm the Capital, lead to the deaths of 4 people, openly calling for the executions of Pelosi and Pence, be photographed stealing podiums and putting their feet on desks that the exact same people downplaying it now would have been screeching about what a "hyperbolic strawman" the mere suggestion was.
Look, they only took the time to plan and build a gallows, plant weapon caches in multiple places, and bring a large number of restraining devices, but it's not like this was some planned out attack. It was just, like ..a dog licking his balls and you accurately describing is it the worst kind of crime: dramatic hyperbole!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 10:53 AM   #2123
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is Margo Largo near Key Largo?
It's just off the coast of Kokomo.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 10:54 AM   #2124
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Look, they only took the time to plan and build a gallows, plant weapon caches in multiple places, and bring a large number of restraining devices, but it's not like this was some planned out attack. It was just, like ..a dog licking his balls and you accurately describing is it the worst kind of crime: dramatic hyperbole!
Indeed.

Everything that ever happens is always so hyperbolic it can't really be that bad and you have to be exaggerating or not worth worrying about, never anywhere in between.

Nice state of mind if you can talk yourself into it I guess.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:11 AM   #2125
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Indeed.

Everything that ever happens is always so hyperbolic it can't really be that bad and you have to be exaggerating or not worth worrying about, never anywhere in between.

Nice state of mind if you can talk yourself into it I guess.
Everything is super(lative)!
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 11:35 AM   #2126
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Furthermore, there are coup actions that Trump took aside from instigating the insurrection. Such as, threatening GA official Brad Raffensperger with prosecution if he doesn't "find" some votes.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:49 AM   #2127
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Furthermore, there are coup actions that Trump took aside from instigating the insurrection. Such as, threatening GA official Brad Raffensperger with prosecution if he doesn't "find" some votes.
Ah, but if the heavily Trump loving Georgia government doesn't charge him, then that's iron clad proof that it wasn't a coup!

/sarcasm
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 12:26 PM   #2128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As predicted, Pelosi rejected Meadows appointment to the 1/6 commission and also Bank's appointment. Now McCarthy is withdrawing all his appointments and self-righteously screaming about how "partisan" Pelosi is being. Does anyone else think that was McCarthy's plan all along? He had to have known she's reject Meadows and likely Banks. I also think the pair's stupid comments in the last 24 hours were deliberately made with the aim of insuring Pelosi's rejection.

I loved Cheney's comments regarding the aim of the commission and McCarthy's lack of dedication to supporting the Constitution over party.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 12:28 PM   #2129
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs considered the the threat sufficiently serious that he urgently planned how to circumvent.

You, an anonymous character on the internet who has blatantly minimized Trump's actions, thinks otherwise.
Bull ****. I've said that the president should be charged with inciting imminent lawless action from word go.

My objection is that the swooners are using the wrong terms, that's all. If a woman is raped, don't swoon about how her soul was murdered. Call it what it ******* is, without the adolescent drama.

Also: you asked me what I thought. I said so. So what's with the "anonymous poster" dismissal? Did you expect me to reveal my secret identity as outranking the Joint Cheif Chairman? You're better than that, man.
Old 21st July 2021, 01:03 PM   #2130
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I think the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers who planned and executed the breach did have a plan. Remember that they actually set up a functional gallows. I do not think "Hang Mike Pence" was hyperbole. They meant to do it. I believe their plan was to capture members of Congress, hold them hostage, and kill as many as they had to to force a vote to overturn the election. I don't think it was a plan that actually had much chance of succeeding, but I think that was their intent. There were also a bunch of people who just wandered into the Capitol after the security was breached and acted like idiots, you know, just peaceful tourists.
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
So we might be on a false dichotomy here, because I think there's something more significant about an attempt to subvert an election by force, that was stopped far further along than it had any business achieving, than your described "mindless violent douchebaggery". If you can see that I'll give up on trying to convince you it's an attempt to overthrow the government. We can decide for ourselves what we want to call it.
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well....agreed. I've been saying all along that their interfering with the electoral process is inexcusable and a heavy crime. It's just not a coup. Shooting tires out, to use an earlier analogy, is a serious crime, but a different one thsn carjacking. The Dildos shot the tires out (to further abuse it) and the tires were changed and democracy on it's merry way in short order. That wouldn't have been the case were they jacked.

But happy to agree that they are all felons who will soon be languishing in cells, where they belong.
It's not a coup, but it was attempted sedition.

Was the Bay of Pigs an attempt to overthrow Castro? Did it have much chance of success, given how badly it was planned?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 01:07 PM   #2131
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Bull ****. I've said that the president should be charged with inciting imminent lawless action from word go.

My objection is that the swooners are using the wrong terms, that's all. If a woman is raped, don't swoon about how her soul was murdered. Call it what it ******* is, without the adolescent drama.

Also: you asked me what I thought. I said so. So what's with the "anonymous poster" dismissal? Did you expect me to reveal my secret identity as outranking the Joint Cheif Chairman? You're better than that, man.
It is pretty clear that, regardless of what the others thought, Trump himself intended it to be a way to hold onto power. He certainly behaved as though it was.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 01:14 PM   #2132
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

This is important. The attack on the Capitol is part of the coup, it can't be pulled out and examined in isolation and determined not to be a coup because it doesn't meet all the criteria. It's a very dramatic and public and noticeable part---*of* the coup.
Old 21st July 2021, 01:20 PM   #2133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It is pretty clear that, regardless of what the others thought, Trump himself intended it to be a way to hold onto power. He certainly behaved as though it was.
I just started reading "Only I Can Fix It" the new book by two WAPO reporters
about the last year of the Trump Presidency. Only about one fourth of the way through, but it is clear that Trump wanted to be a dictator.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 01:24 PM   #2134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Pelosi should go on with the hearings no matter what.
Better off without the GOPers trying to sabotage it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 01:32 PM   #2135
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

*snip*
Highlighted: Wrong analogy. It can be attempted rape even if the man couldn't get a hard on.

No matter how ridiculously amateurish the Capitol rioters were, they attempted a coup. No matter how fluffy his wordings were, T**** incited a coup. "Stop the steal". There was no steal, and any attempt to stop the process was an attempt at a coup.

Ignorance and idiocy is not an excuse for breaking the law.

Hans
Old 21st July 2021, 02:34 PM   #2136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

As predicted, Pelosi rejected Meadows appointment to the 1/6 commission and also Bank's appointment. Now McCarthy is withdrawing all his appointments and self-righteously screaming about how "partisan" Pelosi is being. Does anyone else think that was McCarthy's plan all along? He had to have known she's reject Meadows and likely Banks. I also think the pair's stupid comments in the last 24 hours were deliberately made with the aim of insuring Pelosi's rejection.

I loved Cheney's comments regarding the aim of the commission and McCarthy's lack of dedication to supporting the Constitution over party.
Hard to say if that was his plan but you can bet either way his plan was to discredit the investigation. They know damn well what it is going to find.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 02:37 PM   #2137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think Pelosi should go on with the hearings no matter what.
Better off without the GOPers trying to sabotage it.
Or at a minimum the GOP trying to insert headline grabbing big mouths to ramble on for their 5 minutes about the faux-investigation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 03:18 PM   #2138
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Hi, Stacyhs. I thought she rejected Jordan and Banks. McCarthy says he'll pull them all.

Last edited by kevbo; 21st July 2021 at 03:20 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 03:25 PM   #2139
kevbo
Critical Thinker

I agree with Cheney's position. I also read that Pelosi may offer positions to other Republicans. I hope she does. An investigation needs to happen.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 06:19 PM   #2140
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Hi, Stacyhs. I thought she rejected Jordan and Banks. McCarthy says he'll pull them all.
Yes, that's what I said. First Pelosi rejected Banks and Meadows. Then McCarthy pulled the other three.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 06:20 PM   #2141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with Cheney's position. I also read that Pelosi may offer positions to other Republicans. I hope she does. An investigation needs to happen.
I hope she does, too. Regardless, McCarthy and his ilk will scream partisanship all the while having vote against an independent, bi-partisan investigation.
Old 21st July 2021, 07:43 PM   #2142
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
This is important. The attack on the Capitol is part of the coup, it can't be pulled out and examined in isolation and determined not to be a coup because it doesn't meet all the criteria. It's a very dramatic and public and noticeable part---*of* the coup.

That is a great point! Why have I not seen it put this way before?

Anyone paying attention could see that Trump was attempting to steal a legitimate election for many weeks, including everyone at the Capitol that day.

They knew exactly what they were doing and why.
Old 21st July 2021, 08:10 PM   #2143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That is a great point! Why have I not seen it put this way before?

Anyone paying attention could see that Trump was attempting to steal a legitimate election for many weeks, including everyone at the Capitol that day.

They knew exactly what they were doing and why.
And it wasn't running amok chasing cars.

Of course they believed as did Dump who sent them on their mission: stop the final certification of the election results.

Dump in his fantasy world, the one in his mind that he lives in, ignorantly believed that somehow stopping a formality in the election process could actually stop the changeover from one POTUS to the next. He ignorantly believed state legislators could just stop their state's vote outcomes and declare Dump the winner.

And that was the mission he sent his army of misfits on.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:42 PM   #2144
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And it wasn't running amok chasing cars.

Of course they believed as did Dump who sent them on their mission: stop the final certification of the election results.

Dump in his fantasy world, the one in his mind that he lives in, ignorantly believed that somehow stopping a formality in the election process could actually stop the changeover from one POTUS to the next. He ignorantly believed state legislators could just stop their state's vote outcomes and declare Dump the winner.

And that was the mission he sent his army of misfits on.
Yep. And this is why they are dumber than a box of rocks.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:04 PM   #2145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I put this in the "Trump has a mental illness" thread, too, because I couldn't decide where it belong.

Trump is blaming his election loss on dead people and paid Indians voting and on bad judges (86 of them), including the SC judges he nominated.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd July 2021, 05:58 AM   #2146
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

There was an episode of Underdog in which the villain arbitrarily declared that there would be an election appointing him dictator, with everyone voting Yes or No. He physically prevented everyone except himself and his henchman from voting, and the entire population passively said "We don't have a choice. He was elected dictator. We have to do what he says."
Trump apparently lives in that world.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:01 AM   #2147
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

During the Jabba thread I often had to stop Jabba and remind him that even if he managed to win the argument on a technicality, he wasn't immortal and was still going to die.

In other words Trump has a "Patented Effective Election" method.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd July 2021 at 06:26 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:38 AM   #2148
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

How to destroy democracy in two easy steps- simply refuse to accept its underlying principle that someone's gotta lose, and sometimes that's gonna be your side. Then you jettison all of your party's other principles and make that refusal to accept reality the core policy around which you build all the party's activity.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:20 AM   #2149
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Or if you went back and said, “some supporters in one party will be so upset with the election results that they will violently storm the capital to prevent the vote from being certified by Congress”. Then how many GOPers would say “typical irrational liberals”
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:24 AM   #2150
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Or if you went back and said, “some supporters in one party will be so upset with the election results that they will violently storm the capital to prevent the vote from being certified by Congress”. Then how many GOPers would say “typical irrational liberals”
Well this is the same people who went from "Trump will never open concentration camps, you're being dramatic hyperbole strawman OMG" to "Well those aren't technically concentration camps because they aren't in Germany" in the space of about 6 months.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:34 AM   #2151
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

As predicted, Pelosi rejected Meadows appointment to the 1/6 commission and also Bank's appointment.
Yes, that's what I said. First Pelosi rejected Banks and Meadows. Then McCarthy pulled the other three.
Yes, that is what you said, but that is not what happened. Pelosi rejected Banks and Jordan. Meadows was never put forth as a proposed member of the committee.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:55 AM   #2152
Cain
Straussian

I welcomed a coup attempt. I said it wouldn't work because Donald Trump is a dope, and it would permanently discredit Trumpism. For about a week, it looked like I was right. Nikki Haley, a woman of bottomless ambition, made her Trump critical remarks, but then things turned as elites realized the Republican base still supported Florida Man. That's twenty-five years of cable news propaganda, 30-plus years of Rush Limbaugh. Idiocracy wasn't built in a day. It's more resilient than COVID.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:14 AM   #2153
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The other big problem Dump created was mucking up the elections themselves more than they were mucked up before. That's going to take a long while to sort out.
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:14 AM   #2154
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I welcomed a coup attempt. I said it wouldn't work because Donald Trump is a dope, and it would permanently discredit Trumpism. For about a week, it looked like I was right. Nikki Haley, a woman of bottomless ambition, made her Trump critical remarks, but then things turned as elites realized the Republican base still supported Florida Man. That's twenty-five years of cable news propaganda, 30-plus years of Rush Limbaugh. Idiocracy wasn't built in a day. It's more resilient than COVID.
Some people welcomed Trump because they thought it was a sure way for Republicans to lose in 2016. I wasn't in the habit before, but any temptation I ever had to hope for a group to make a foolish and harmful decision, counting on it costing them support, is absolutely over.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:24 PM   #2155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Yes, that is what you said, but that is not what happened. Pelosi rejected Banks and Jordan. Meadows was never put forth as a proposed member of the committee.
Oops. Sorry. I did mean Jordan. Meadows is the other sycophant who has taken up permanent residence in Trump's colon. It's easy to confuse one Trump sycophant with another as they all spout the same crap.
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:29 PM   #2156
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Some people welcomed Trump because they thought it was a sure way for Republicans to lose in 2016. I wasn't in the habit before, but any temptation I ever had to hope for a group to make a foolish and harmful decision, counting on it costing them support, is absolutely over.
You made the classic mistake of underestimating the stupidity of the average American voter. So did I.
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:27 PM   #2157
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This could just as easily go in the Trump mental illness thread.

The authors of "I Alone Can Fix It" said that during their over 2 hours interview with Trump, it was "just one lie after another" and that he's living in an alternate universe.

Quote:
Trump: I'm a big believer in science...Are you talking about disinformation or are you talking about lies? There is a more beautiful word called disinformation.
Quote:
“There was a lot of love, I’ve heard that from everybody,” he continued. “Many, many people have told me, ‘That was a loving crowd.’ ”
Quote:
The Capitol Police were ushering people in, the Capitol Police were very friendly,” he asserted.

"It was zero threat. Look, they went in and they shouldn't have done it.
Some of them went in and they, they're hugging and kissing the police and guards. You know, they had great relationships. A lot of people were waved in, and then they walked in and the walked out."
Don't believe your lying eyes when you watch the videos of Jan. 6. Believe Donald Trump because he has such a great reputation as a truth teller. Idiots.

Trump is so mentally ill that he's detached from reality. And so are his supporters.
Old 23rd July 2021, 05:33 PM   #2158
mgidm86
Philosopher

This stuff is so depressing. I am going to take one minute today and remember how thankful and relieved I was on November 7th when I heard that Trump had lost. Things could be so much worse. Maybe they will be one day, but I need to relax for a moment or two.

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 24th July 2021, 04:44 PM   #2159
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think a coup would have succeeded. There were however about half a dozen people who made sure we didn't find out and most their patriotism was found rather late.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 08:54 PM   #2160
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This stuff is so depressing. I am going to take one minute today and remember how thankful and relieved I was on November 7th when I heard that Trump had lost. Things could be so much worse. Maybe they will be one day, but I need to relax for a moment or two.

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
People were literally dancing in the streets.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics