IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 07:55 PM   #201
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This is sad.

36 year old Father of five Adam Johnson seen gleefully walking off and waving to cameras with the Speaker of the House of Representatives podium. He could face serious felony charges.

Terrible for his family. How irresponsible can you get?
I'll bet he thinks the Pardoner-in-Chief has his back. It's a bit chancy though.

And oh, I don't feel bad for him.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:55 PM   #202
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The police officer reported as dead is still alive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegn...54329137651713
Yes, but still on life support "until his family can arrive". This suggests that they are going to say their final goodbyes.

Thanks, MAGA scum.
Old 7th January 2021, 07:56 PM   #203
angrysoba
Philosophile

This is sad.

36 year old Father of five Adam Johnson seen gleefully walking off and waving to cameras with the Speaker of the House of Representatives podium. He could face serious felony charges.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I'll bet he thinks the Pardoner-in-Chief has his back. It's a bit chancy though.

Neither do I.

Kids: "Mommy, why is Daddy going to jail?"
Mother: "Because he is a total ****-wit!"
Old 7th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #204
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't feel bad for him. I do however, feel bad for his family.
Old 7th January 2021, 08:01 PM   #205
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't feel bad for him. I do however, feel bad for his family.
No, I get that. I just wonder what they had to say when he told them Daddy was headed to DC for a little insurrection. Did Mommy approve?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:05 PM   #206
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, I get that. I just wonder what they had to say when he told them Daddy was headed to DC for a little insurrection. Did Mommy approve?
Mommy is likely to be very mad at Daddy don't you think?

Grinning and waving to the cameras while committing multiple felonies doesn't sound bright to me.
Old 7th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #207
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Mommy is likely to be very mad at Daddy don't you think?
Or it's one of those christian values households where Daddy knows best and Mommy demurs.

Quote:
Grinning and waving to the cameras while committing multiple felonies doesn't sound bright to me.
I didn't see any bulbs above 40 watts in the entire insurrectionist mob.

WS
Old 7th January 2021, 08:19 PM   #208
Meadmaker

This is sad.

Talk about entitlement, eh?

These people are spoiled brats.

We want out president. We didn't lose. The Capitol is our building. Ha, ha, Nancy! I have your lecttern. What are you gonna do about it?

Me, me, me.

ETA: And he's going to jail, and they guy who told him to go to the Capitol and "be strong" goes to South Florida, unless he goes to a New York skyscraper. Trump leaves someone else holding the bag one more time.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 7th January 2021 at 08:24 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:28 PM   #209
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

We want out president. We didn't lose. The Capitol is our building.

Me, me, me.
Most of this crowd will see no penalty as they simply walked through open doors. Others are likely to do prison. Smiling and waving to the cameras might cause a few to lose their jobs, but walking off with Federal property probably worth thousands and a symbol of our democracy is likely to be serious.

If the guy has a half a brain, he should be returning the podium and turning himself in ASAP.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:53 PM   #210
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
My guess is that somebody wrote that and told Trump that he is going to read that statement or he is going to prison.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:17 PM   #211
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The police officer reported as dead is still alive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegn...54329137651713
Trump is officially responsible for the murder of a cop.

Anyone know how broadly the felony-murder rule can be applied? Could everyone participating in felonious behavior at the Capitol be held responsible for this murder?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:24 PM   #212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know how broadly the felony-murder rule can be applied? Could everyone participating in felonious behavior at the Capitol be held responsible for this murder?
Possible, but probably unlikely. There's a point where that is impractical.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:25 PM   #213
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Don't forget that all the rioters can also be charged with the killing of Ashli Babbitt under Felony Murder statues.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:25 PM   #214
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Under DC law felony murder only applies to a certain set of felonies. I don't think any would apply to the rioters in general. Some might apply to rioters who took certain actions that would fall under the list of applicable felonies.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:32 PM   #215
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How about the head instigator? You know, the guy who said" You gotta get your people to fight . . . Because you'll never take back our country with weakness, you have to show strength and you have to be strong." Any blowback on that guy?

WS
Old 7th January 2021, 10:37 PM   #216
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

How about the head instigator? You know, the guy who said" You gotta get your people to fight . . . Because you'll never take back our country with weakness, you have to show strength and you have to be strong." Any blowback on that guy?
you mean the guy who's lawyer called for Trial by Combat?
Old 7th January 2021, 10:40 PM   #217
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you mean the guy who's lawyer called for Trial by Combat?
Yeah, that guy.

WS
Old 7th January 2021, 11:03 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yes, but still on life support "until his family can arrive". This suggests that they are going to say their final goodbyes.

Thanks, MAGA scum.
God, It's probably the Tanya Roberts story all over again.
Update: It is the Tanya Roberts story all over again. Police man has died of his wounds at the hands of the Trumpers.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th January 2021 at 11:16 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:16 AM   #219
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Piece of **** got what she deserved. Lots more should have.
I would disagree. I think no one deserves to be executed. The description of climbing through a window does not sound like she was an immediate threat to life. It should have been possible to subdue her using non lethal force. I do note the responsible officer has been suspended.

I understand the 'emotional' issue, the violation some US citizens feel. But this was a few protesters who broke into a public building. This happens all the time. They did not even organise a sit in! They did not line people up against the wall and shoot them; that is what happens in real coups.

Shooting demonstrators in the streets is what happens in third world countries, the outcome of the policing here was good one person shot is one too many. I am not sure what happened to the police officer who died, all that is said it was injuries occurring during the protest, this might mean he fell down stairs. Perhaps someone here knows the nature of his injuries?

That does not mean I support Trump or these right wing nut cases, I would politically be a Saunders supporter. But even right wing nut cases should not be shot down. Police violence does not become right when it is against your political opponents.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-brexit-debate
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:23 AM   #220
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

She was trying to enter an area where there were politicians sheltering. IIRC. That was the line that couldn't be crossed.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:25 AM   #221
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I would disagree. I think no one deserves to be executed. The description of climbing through a window does not sound like she was an immediate threat to life. It should have been possible to subdue her using non lethal force. I do note the responsible officer has been suspended.
The window she was climbing through was the entrance to the Speakers Lobby, a corridor that has several entrances to the floor of the House of Representatives. It was the final barrier standing between the angry mob and the House chamber, where many congressmen and women were sheltering. She was the first to attempt to go through, but there were hundreds behind her.

There will be an investigation. People in the know will decide whether the cop did the right thing, but I don't see any reason to suggest he didn't. The final judgement will be made by people with more information than I have, but it seems to me that a reasonable person would conclude that if the mob had been allowed to go through that window, the lives of the congressmen would have been in danger.

It is standard procedure in the US to automatically suspend, with pay, any officer who kills anyone in the line of duty, pending the outcome of an investigation.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:28 AM   #222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We want out president. We didn't lose. The Capitol is our building. Ha, ha, Nancy! I have your lecttern. What are you gonna do about it?

Me, me, me.

ETA: And he's going to jail, and they guy who told him to go to the Capitol and "be strong" goes to South Florida, unless he goes to a New York skyscraper. Trump leaves someone else holding the bag one more time.

Yep. Ain't that the way it's always been for Trump?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:28 AM   #223
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The window she was climbing through was the entrance to the Speakers Lobby, a corridor that has several entrances to the floor of the House of Representatives. It was the final barrier standing between the angry mob and the House chamber, where many congressmen and women were sheltering. She was the first to attempt to go through, but there were hundreds behind her.

There will be an investigation. People in the know will decide whether the cop did the right thing, but I don't see any reason to suggest he didn't. The final judgement will be made by people with more information than I have, but it seems to me that a reasonable person would conclude that if the mob had been allowed to go through that window, the lives of the congressmen would have been in danger.

It is standard procedure in the US to automatically suspend, with pay, any officer who kills anyone in the line of duty, pending the outcome of an investigation.
Just imagine what would have happened if those idiots got their hands on Pelosi, or AOC, or Ilhan Omar. Some of them would have just loved to use that hangman's scaffolding they erected.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 8th January 2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:36 AM   #224
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I am not sure what happened to the police officer who died, all that is said it was injuries occurring during the protest, this might mean he fell down stairs.
It has been reported that one of the rioters removed a fire extinguisher from the wall, and hit the policeman in the head with it. He did not die at the scene, but returned to the police office, and later collapsed. This has not been confirmed by official sources.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:36 AM   #225
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
[/hilite]

Yep. Ain't that the way it's always been for Trump?
It makes one, small, part of me sad for the woman who got shot.
She threw away her life because she believed a lie told by a malignant narcissist who will never give her the slightest thought.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:43 AM   #226
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Planigale
But this was a few protesters who broke into a public building.
No, it wasn't. It was a group of entitled, angry Trump dead-enders whose intention was to disrupt and possible thwart the certification of a Biden electoral victory. They carried confederate flags, wore racist and anti-Semitic clothing like Auschwitz Camp hoodies and 6MWE T-shirts; they erected a hangman's scaffold for ****'s sake and spouted they were storming the Capitol in a revolution. They physically forced their way into the building and were such a concern that representatives had to be hustled to safety.

The only reason they didn't do more damage was that they were inept, which in no way excuses their behavior, and according to law enforcement, they have more chaos planned.

**** them.

WS
Old 8th January 2021, 12:44 AM   #227
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It has been reported that one of the rioters removed a fire extinguisher from the wall, and hit the policeman in the head with it. He did not die at the scene, but returned to the police office, and later collapsed. This has not been confirmed by official sources.
I'm hearing it was a stroke, but that could have been caused by head meeting fire extinguisher.

WS
Old 8th January 2021, 12:46 AM   #228
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Just imagine what would have happened if those idiots got their hands on Pelosi, or AOC, or Ilhan Omar. Some of them would have just loved to use that hangman's scaffolding they erected.
From the NYT:

Quote:
Aaron, the construction worker from Indianapolis, and his two friends had heard people talking about going to Ms. Pelosi’s office. So once inside they decided to instead find Senator Chuck Schumer’s office. Both are Democrats.

“We wanted to have a few words” with Mr. Schumer, he said. “He’s probably the most corrupt guy up here. You don’t hear too much about him. But he’s slimy. You can just see it.”

But they could not find Mr. Schumer’s office. He said they asked a Capitol Police officer, who tried to direct them. But they appeared to have gotten nowhere near the minority’s leader’s office. They ended up smoking a few cigarettes inside the building — “We can smoke in our house,” Aaron said — and one of his friends, who would not give his name, joked that he had gone to the bathroom and not flushed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/u...s-capitol.html
(bolding mine)
Old 8th January 2021, 12:46 AM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
It makes one, small, part of me sad for the woman who got shot.
She threw away her life because she believed a lie told by a malignant narcissist who will never give her the slightest thought.
His supporters are under the delusion that he cares about them. In reality, he is incapable of caring for them beyond what they can do for him. Once they are no longer of use to him, they become irrelevant to him. The do not understand this because they do not understand that he is a sociopath and malignant narcissist.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:49 AM   #230
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
From the NYT:

(bolding mine)
They are fine people and Trump loves them.

WS
Old 8th January 2021, 01:03 AM   #231
Firestone

One of the best observers of the US Right descend to madness is Politico's Tim Alberta.
His article about the Trump Coup, Jan. 6 Was 9 Weeks — And 4 Years — in the Making, is worth a read.

Quote:
I spend a lot of time around Trump voters. It’s a part of my everyday life, engaging with family and friends in Michigan. It’s been the heartbeat of my work in this election cycle, traversing America to figure out what ordinary folks are thinking about. I’ve learned a lot along the way. And there’s one conclusion of which I’m certain: The “fringe” of our politics no longer exists. Between the democratization of information and the diminished confidence in establishment politicians and institutions ranging from the media to corporate America, particularly on the right, there is no longer any buffer between mainstream thought and the extreme elements of our politics.

Amazing, though not surprising, is how most Republican leaders didn't see it coming, or didn't want see it coming:
Quote:
For the past nine weeks, I’ve had a lot of highly unusual conversations with administration officials, Republican lawmakers and conservative media figures. I describe these conversations as highly unusual because what I was trying to glean from them, more than gossip or inside information, was a sense of integrity and discernment. Based on my reporting, it seemed obvious the president was leading the country down a dangerous and uncharted road. I hoped they could see that. I hoped they would do something — anything.

My fears were not assuaged. Some of them expressed mild concern but told me there was no point crossing the president when he’d be leaving office soon anyway. Others laughed off the trepidation altogether. More than a few told me I was being “hysterical,” at which point things got heated, as I would plead with them to consider the consequences if even a fractional number of the president’s most fervent supporters took his allegations, and his calls to action, at face value. When I submitted that violence was a real possibility, they would snicker. Riots? Looting? That’s what Democrats do!

So convinced were the president’s allies that his rhetoric was harmless that many not only rationalized it, but actually dialed it up. Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina senator who once skewered Trump’s dishonesty, promised “earth-shattering” evidence to support his former rival’s claims of a rigged election.
Old 8th January 2021, 01:58 AM   #232
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
And with cell phones.

Step 1: Get warrants for position data from major carriers.
Step 2: Identify cell phones in the capitol between time x and time y.
Step 3: Identify owners of cell phones from step 2.
Step 4: Arrest!
Step 5: Execute for Treason. And do it in public with mandatory full media coverage.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:02 AM   #233
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

In many jurisdictions, yes. There's also the Terrorism statutes.

Ironically, Law & Order did an episode about just such a situation.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:04 AM   #234
Firestone

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Step 5: Execute for Treason. And do it in public with mandatory full media coverage.
Step 5: let the prosecutors and the courts do their job;
Step 6 to 51236: don't act like Trumpists and accuse these criminal idiots of treason (which they didn't commit), nor call for capital punishment, nor decide what the media should cover.
Old 8th January 2021, 02:10 AM   #235
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Proud Boys run like wusses from Portland PD

deleted. meant to start a thread.
Old 8th January 2021, 03:02 AM   #236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If no already reported, the NYT is reporting that the police officer has now died.
Old 8th January 2021, 03:10 AM   #237
Firestone

Unless Trump pardons them all (is that even possible?), some of the rioters will face serious charges and rather long prison sentences, and deservedly so.

The sad and infuriating thing is that the instigators, the Trumps, Giuliani, Cruz, Hawley, Gohmert e tutti quanti will be either pardoned (the Trumps, Giuliani), or are extremely unlikely to ever face any real consequence for what they did.

Last edited by Firestone; 8th January 2021 at 03:13 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 03:19 AM   #238
Venom
Philosopher

Probably not too relevant but the policeman was also a Trump supporter.

He died fighting the same people the man he supports inspired.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 03:40 AM   #239
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Probably not too relevant but the policeman was also a Trump supporter.

He died fighting the same people the man he supports inspired.
perfect metaphor for the 45th Presidency - as if we needed another.
Old 8th January 2021, 04:14 AM   #240
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Unless Trump pardons them all (is that even possible?), some of the rioters will face serious charges and rather long prison sentences, and deservedly so.

The sad and infuriating thing is that the instigators, the Trumps, Giuliani, Cruz, Hawley, Gohmert e tutti quanti will be either pardoned (the Trumps, Giuliani), or are extremely unlikely to ever face any real consequence for what they did.
It wouldn't be out of character for President Trump to say that he was pardoning the patriots - thus emboldening others to commit further insurrections in the remaining 12 days or so.

It also wouldn't be out of character for him to fail to follow through on this and leave them to rot in jail because it doesn't benefit him directly.

As you say, the instigators will likely get off.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics