ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #81
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Theists in general, really.

Or are you asking for help understanding the topic of this thread in particular?
As a human and atheist, I can understand theists. I can even acknowledge that they simply understand some parts of reality differently that me. And state that I accept they simply understand some parts of reality differently that me.

So stop treating all atheists like they are militant anti-theists.

Now if treating all atheists like they are militant anti-theists "helps" you, I acknowledge and accept that this is how you believe, but from there doesn't follow that all atheists are like you believe.

Last edited by Tommy Jeppesen; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
Tommy Jeppesen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #82
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I _am_ an anti-theist personally, in that I consider religion to be harmful. But that's irrelevant to the topic that was discussed.

From where I stand, it's the theists that refuse to understand that OTHER religions are just that: OTHER. There's a huge world of difference, not just having another name for their god. They won't be comforted by listening to one of your Jesus fanboys bleat canned Bible stuff at them.

For better or worse, it seems to me like it's the atheists like myself and a few others that actually put in the effort to at least read about other religions and cultures, and try to understand WTH those people would actually believe. It may be inexact (I'm not immune to Dunning-Kruger), but for better or worse I think my whole argument was BASED on how the other religions are different and don't hold the same beliefs, values or cultural mores as some protestant minister that's supposed to counsel them.

I haven't seen any counter-argument other than the ignorant pretense that all theists are the same, and thus can be served by whatever chaplain. And that lack of understanding isn't in the atheist court.

Last edited by HansMustermann; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #83
steenkh
Philosopher

The function of chaplains in the armies is to make soldiers better fighters. This can be by making the soldiers believe they have their gods behind them, making them believe that dying is not so bad, or by making them overcome any qualms they might have in killing other humans. They can also help soldiers recover from any horrors they might have seen, or fears they might have or sorrow over the loss of friends and loved ones.

As I see it, a lot of these functions should work equally well with atheists, so chaplains - or counsellors if you wish - is a valuable asset to any army.

It depends on the personality for a chaplain to be useful across some of the religious divides. A strongly missionary chaplain might be counterproductive if used with soldiers of different beliefs than his own.

My own experience with priests is that some are decent persons that I can imagine could help me overcome some of the problems of being a soldier, even though I am an atheist. The same would likely not be possible with an atheist chaplain and theist soldiers, because they might want him to perform the rituals of their faith, and that might not be possible, or even legitimate with an atheist chaplain.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #84
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
For pete's sake, there are whole "X Games" like competitions that include events like Corn Hole, Rock-Paper-Scissors and playing volleyball only with your head.

There is no doubt, in the age of the internet, you can find people of common interest, regardless of how bizarre the interest. It's like Rule 38, except for social groups (which are also covered by Rule 38)
If you are already in a group of a common interest it is a lot easier to remain in that group. One such group is the church. This also explains why churches are in slow decline. If you are not in a church then you are not likely to want to start going. Those that are in the church are far more likely to find that their church does not meet their needs. Or maybe their parents went and the children see no point in going. So the parents get old and die and so the church loses members.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy