ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #1881
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just spoke to @KanyeWest about his friend A$AP Rocky’s incarceration. I will be calling the very talented Prime Minister of Sweden to see what we can do about helping A$AP Rocky. So many people would like to see this quickly resolved!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #1882
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Both are rooted in hatred of "the other", they're just slightly different in how they're applied. In theory, anyway. In practice there's so much overlap the distinction is rarely necessary.
In the usual American practice of short memories, also, one might accidentally forget that a couple of generations ago, objections to immigrants now considered white and comfortably American were couched in racial terms as well. Not that long ago, standard Anthropological texts called what we now think of as race, "stock," and race a much finer division, separating Mediterraneans, East Europeans, and others within the broader "caucasoid" stock. I got that in college in the 1960's. It's one of the great ironies, for example, that people of Italian and Polish (or German, perhaps?) descent are among those chanting for exactly what both racists and xenophobes were saying to them a hundred or fewer years ago.

If it were not so dreadful, it would be amusing the lengths of obfuscation and pedantry that Trump's supporters stoop to in order to deny his utterly inappropriate wrongness.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #1883
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Just spoke to @KanyeWest about his friend A$AP Rocky’s incarceration. I will be calling the very talented Prime Minister of Sweden to see what we can do about helping A$AP Rocky. So many people would like to see this quickly resolved!
One would hope said PM would tell him that no, I don't usually interfere with criminal investigations and prosecutions. Is that something American presidents do?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #1884
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Thomas “the Chin” Friedman, a weak and pathetic sort of guy, writes columns for The New York Times in between rounds of his favorite game, golf. Two weeks ago, while speaking to a friend on his cell phone, I unfortunately ended up speaking to Friedman. We spoke for a while and...

....he could not have been nicer or more respectful to your favorite President, me. Then I saw the column he wrote, “Trump Will Be Re-elected, Won’t He?” He called me a Racist, which I am not, and said Rhode Island went from economically bad to great in 5 years because the.....

....Governor of the State did a good job. That may be true but she could not have done it without the tremendous economic success of our Country & the turnaround that my Administration has caused. Really Nasty to me in his average I.Q. Columns, kissed my a.. on the call. Phony!
Boris Yeltsin has lost his record as biggest clown on the world stage.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #1885
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Boris Yeltsin has lost his record as biggest clown on the world stage.
About Three Years too late with that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #1886
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought one problem with excessively low interest rates is that there's nothing to cut them to should the need arise.

Personally, as a saver rather than a borrower I don't see why everything should be run to cater to people and businesses and banks borrowing all the time. Why can't they use their own money? I remember when a humble savings account earned 3% interest, and there wasn't a depression on with banks failing and businesses going under from the strain of interest rates.
It's only a problem that exists in people's theories about how economics works. In practice the problem has been solved by using quantitative easing, that is, just print money. In the old theories doing that would instantly produce runaway inflation but that didn't happen in real life.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #1887
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

People are so fixated on hating Trump and the right (and white people pretty much now) that they don't see it. You tar everyone with the same broad brush. You are going to lose another election with this attitude.
You're assuming here, I think, that hate toward Trump is misplaced (which is not to say necessarily that hate toward Trump is not misplaced).

I don't want another 4 years of Trump but I don't want what I see on the other side of the aisle either. Not at all.
It's not so much a question of what you want, but which option among the ones presented is better than the others (although what you want in absolute terms is an effective starting point to selecting the optimal choice among those available).

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #1888
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Not accurate though. That last sentence makes no sense and it's not what he was quoted as saying. Trump says a whole lot of really dumb stuff and I see no reason to misrepresent it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/polit...ump/index.html

On another note, too many liberals/Dems are clueless...unless the goal is to lose another election.

It's not hate for the "brown people", or racism or evangelicals that got Trump elected, it is liberal progressives shoving their ideals down peoples throats for the past few decades. People have had enough of this crap.

Actually y'all could have won had you not run Hillary. But now? Your hate is out in full force. The crying, the accusations and fingerpointing, it's not going to work. You are doing it wrong. This forum is the same way.

People are so fixated on hating Trump and the right (and white people pretty much now) that they don't see it. You tar everyone with the same broad brush. You are going to lose another election with this attitude.

Most people I know that are in the middle or right-leaning feel the same way. They are sick of "liberals". That's it.

I don't want another 4 years of Trump but I don't want what I see on the other side of the aisle either. Not at all.

Sincere question: Hate for Obama was (in hindsight) clearly a winner for the GOP come 2016. What makes hate for Trump "doing it wrong"? What distinction do you see between hate for Obama and hate for Trump that makes one party successful (as in winning a presidential election) and one an expected loser (according to you).

I eagerly await your analysis.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #1889
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You know forget politics can we get a President that doesn't play golf so we can stop hearing about that game?

I'm surprised "What's your handicap?" isn't part of the debates at this point.

Trump doesn't care about golf handicaps.

He just cheats.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #1890
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Friends in high places.

It will backfire because it will look so bad if Trump tries to intervene.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 07:28 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #1891
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Sincere question: Hate for Obama was (in hindsight) clearly a winner for the GOP come 2016. What makes hate for Trump "doing it wrong"? What distinction do you see between hate for Obama and hate for Trump that makes one party successful (as in winning a presidential election) and one an expected loser (according to you).

I eagerly await your analysis.
I hate to burst your bubble, but some people just vomit up a poorly thought out, unsupported and unsupportable rant then disappear. I wouldn't hold my breath for a return to this thread, as any sort of analysis would likely drive home the lack of understanding required to make such an opening salvo.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #1892
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Friends in high places.

It will backfire because it will look so bad if Trump tries to intervene.
It's the internet age "Spook Who Sat By the Door". See? I can't be racist. Why here I am helping out this black millionaire because of a request from a black billionaire. I'm not a racist; I'm a slut.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #1893
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's the internet age "Spook Who Sat By the Door". See? I can't be racist. Why here I am helping out this black millionaire because of a request from a black billionaire. I'm not a racist; I'm a slut.
Ohhh, points for one black friend even if the Swedes continue to persecute the black rapper. Yep!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics