ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #3601
Steve001
Graduate Poster

A SciManDan video critiquing MrThrive and Survive's video for absolute proof space is fake. More pressure gradient force nonsense.
https://youtu.be/Uc6vmUryhMo

MrThriveandSurvive
https://youtu.be/g8THoPp1VA4
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:28 AM   #3602
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
A SciManDan video critiquing MrThrive and Survive's video for absolute proof space is fake. More pressure gradient force nonsense.
https://youtu.be/Uc6vmUryhMo

MrThriveandSurvive
https://youtu.be/g8THoPp1VA4
I watched the SciManDan video, but that was enough for me to understand the ThriveandSurvive is real willfully ignorant individual.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 08:53 AM   #3603
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
And the earth would have no atmosphere because all the air would move to the lower pressure of the vacuum.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about the dome that is holding it in.
The only youtube I've found dumber than the one Sciman Dan was critiquing was the guy who thought the blue rock he found is a piece of the firmament.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 09:15 AM   #3604
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
The only youtube I've found dumber than the one Sciman Dan was critiquing was the guy who thought the blue rock he found is a piece of the firmament.
Got a link for that? It sounds hilarious.

Crazy people can be entertaining when harmless:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiJ...1FCG0lxucI-_kQ

Last edited by halleyscomet; 10th July 2019 at 09:30 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 10:30 AM   #3605
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

GingerV has started a new thread spamming yet another Jerry Sprocket video. I reported it.
Old 10th July 2019, 10:39 AM   #3606
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Will a Model Rocket Motor Work In Vacuum?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th July 2019, 10:42 AM   #3607
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
GingerV has started a new thread spamming yet another Jerry Sprocket video. I reported it.
They must have been suspended / banned from one of the other forums where they were spamming.

On a related Flat Earth note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyD8VIK032o
Old 10th July 2019, 12:08 PM   #3608
bknight
Graduate Poster

Which thread?

ETA: Never mind I found the latest BS thread.

Last edited by bknight; 10th July 2019 at 12:16 PM.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 12:22 PM   #3609
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Got a link for that? It sounds hilarious.

Crazy people can be entertaining when harmless:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiJ...1FCG0lxucI-_kQ
I don't have a link. It's something I saw several months ago. I don't know if it's even still up.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 12:42 PM   #3610
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I don't have a link. It's something I saw several months ago. I don't know if it's even still up.
I did some looking. These may not be the video you remember, but they cover the same ground.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE
Old 10th July 2019, 06:54 PM   #3611
Doubt
Philosopher

What a miserable existence where lying to people to drive clicks is all there is.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:05 PM   #3612
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
What a miserable existence where lying to people to drive clicks is all there is.
Yes. If one finds oneself adopting extreme positions simply because one enjoys the attention it garners, then it is clearly time to reassess ones life.

I struggle to understand the thinking of many cranks. A few seem genuinely simply misinformed. Sure that happens sometimes.

But the overwhelming majority have religious fervour about their commitment to a false idea.

To me, that is deeply disturbing.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:50 PM   #3613
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oooh, I've just see the video HalleysComet link downthread...

Man that is funny. The Stupid of some people is beyond belief.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:51 PM   #3614
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes. If one finds oneself adopting extreme positions simply because one enjoys the attention it garners, then it is clearly time to reassess ones life.

I struggle to understand the thinking of many cranks. A few seem genuinely simply misinformed. Sure that happens sometimes.

But the overwhelming majority have religious fervour about their commitment to a false idea.

To me, that is deeply disturbing.
It is trollish behavior IMO.
Old 11th July 2019, 03:08 PM   #3615
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
It is trollish behavior IMO.
People want to be loved.
If they can't be loved, they want to be respected.
If they can't be respected, they want to be feared.
If they can't be feared, they want to be despised.

Anything to not be ignored.

Hans
Old 11th July 2019, 04:28 PM   #3616
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You know how if you hold the end of an inflated balloon, and then let go, that it will accelerate forward?

What do these people think will happen if you do that in space?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:36 PM   #3617
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
You know how if you hold the end of an inflated balloon, and then let go, that it will accelerate forward?

What do these people think will happen if you do that in space?
The air exhausts, but the balloon doesn't go anywhere.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:44 PM   #3618
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The air exhausts, but the balloon doesn't go anywhere.

The thread exhausts, and doesn't go anywhere.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:27 PM   #3619
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
The thread exhausts, and doesn't go anywhere.

Nothing to push against!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:58 PM   #3620
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Nothing to push against!
well it was vacuous.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:48 PM   #3621
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
People want to be loved.

Hans
Perhaps, but it could be simpler than this. I suspect that most conspiracy theorists and holders of crackpot theories are simply unable to bear the realization that they're ignorant. What better way to rise above that than to find an idea which, if right, would make you one of the wisest people ever? Once you latch on to it, everything, including opposition, can serve as evidence in your favor. If all the rest of us are deluded fools, our disdain is further proof. Just you wait, sheeple.

No doubt some who do this sort of thing are just trolls or jokers passing the time, but I rather suspect that a fair number are really just persons so ill at ease in reality that they're playing an adult variation on the unhappy child's fantasy of the kidnapped princess.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:44 AM   #3622
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Perhaps, but it could be simpler than this. I suspect that most conspiracy theorists and holders of crackpot theories are simply unable to bear the realization that they're ignorant. What better way to rise above that than to find an idea which, if right, would make you one of the wisest people ever? Once you latch on to it, everything, including opposition, can serve as evidence in your favor. If all the rest of us are deluded fools, our disdain is further proof. Just you wait, sheeple.

No doubt some who do this sort of thing are just trolls or jokers passing the time, but I rather suspect that a fair number are really just persons so ill at ease in reality that they're playing an adult variation on the unhappy child's fantasy of the kidnapped princess.
Especially in forums like this, but YT is another world where I know something that you don't.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:07 AM   #3623
The Common Potato
Student

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

I think they're terrified of being wrong or being conned. After all, we rational mainstreamers are the sheep; they are too smart to fall for government propaganda. That, combined with ignorance and arrogance, just about covers it.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 05:14 PM   #3624
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Will a Model Rocket Motor Work In Vacuum?

I AGREE
post 2987 was ignored as it demonstrated the same

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post12713152
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 11:40 AM   #3625
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Poor Flat Earthers, literally over 2,000 years behind modern science.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VcqCMNR
Old 15th July 2019, 03:16 PM   #3626
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The Space Station Crosses a Spotless Sun
Quote:
Explanation: That's no sunspot. It's the International Space Station (ISS) caught passing in front of the Sun. Sunspots, individually, have a dark central umbra, a lighter surrounding penumbra, and no solar panels. By contrast, the ISS is a complex and multi-spired mechanism, one of the largest and most sophisticated machines ever created by humanity. Also, sunspots occur on the Sun, whereas the ISS orbits the Earth. Transiting the Sun is not very unusual for the ISS, which orbits the Earth about every 90 minutes, but getting one's timing and equipment just right for a great image is rare. Strangely, besides that fake spot, in this recent two-image composite, the Sun lacked any real sunspots. The featured picture combines two images -- one capturing the space station transiting the Sun -- and another taken consecutively capturing details of the Sun's surface. Sunspots have been rare on the Sun since the dawn of the current Solar Minimum, a period of low solar activity. For reasons not yet fully understood, the number of sunspots occurring during both the previous and current solar minima have been unusually low.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 07:14 PM   #3627
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That's obviously an Imperial TIE fighter!
Old 15th July 2019, 08:42 PM   #3628
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Sunspots, individually, have a dark central umbra, a lighter surrounding penumbra, and no solar panels.
That's good information right there.
Old 16th July 2019, 05:08 AM   #3629
Garrison
Illuminator

It is not only the 50th anniversary it is also the 50th anniversary of The New York Times apologizing for their 1920 editorial claiming rockets couldn't work in a vacuum, at least when faced with the facts the Times had the good grace to admit they were wrong
Old 16th July 2019, 01:50 PM   #3630
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
It is not only the 50th anniversary it is also the 50th anniversary of The New York Times apologizing for their 1920 editorial claiming rockets couldn't work in a vacuum, at least when faced with the facts the Times had the good grace to admit they were wrong
I have it on good authority that the New York Times is Fake News!
Old 16th July 2019, 03:43 PM   #3631
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Funny, I'd have thought GV would have posted here on the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first manned mission to the moon.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 03:51 PM   #3632
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Duplicate.

Last edited by Craig4; 16th July 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #3633
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Funny, I'd have thought GV would have posted here on the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first manned mission to the moon.
I'm pretty sure that GV got bored and has moved on.
Old 17th July 2019, 05:09 AM   #3634
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well, GV is, I assert, two dogs in a trench coat typing by banging the edge of a fedora on a keyboard. It's possible one of them is undergoing worm treatment and as a result the other can't REACH the keyboard.

I have just as much verifiable evidence for this assertion as GV has that rockets don't work in the vacuum of space.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #3635
Steve
Philosopher

That's obviously an Imperial TIE fighter!
And it's heading for that small moon.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #3636
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That would be a relief, but....
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #3637
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
People want to be loved.

Hans
I think you need to work in "sometimes just want to be noticed". Some people just aspire to be the train wreck the rest of us can't look away from.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology