IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 04:51 AM   #761
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I think the detail you're missing is the distinction between reasons and excuses. Being tired and distracted after a 14-hour shift may well be a reason for entering the wrong apartment and mistakenly shooting an innocent person, but it's not an excuse.

Dave
It is an excuse if it is coupled with a temporary insanity plea.

People have done it with sleepwalking. (Sleepwalker murders)

People have done it with prescription drugs.

Why not management-forced sleep deprivation coupled with multiple Red Bulls?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:41 AM   #762
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm wondering at what point she drew her gun, and why her gun and not her taser?
Well, she has a history of not being able to hold on to hers, so maybe she does learn from experience.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:43 AM   #763
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
What was it like living in an apartment with near identical floors containing long rows of near identical doors?
I would assume rather like residing in a Holiday Inn or many other hotels. Several times I have returned to my room after a long day and occasionally many beers. Under those heightened circumstances I consider my death toll quite reasonable.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:00 AM   #764
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I would assume rather like residing in a Holiday Inn or many other hotels. Several times I have returned to my room after a long day and occasionally many beers. Under those heightened circumstances I consider my death toll quite reasonable.
I bet you've killed quite a few cleaners, you walk into your hotel room see someone there, what else are you going to do but shoot them dead? There is simply no reasonable reason why a reasonable person wouldn't take such reasonable action.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:02 AM   #765
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Affidavit from the Texas Rangers. Click to enlarge...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg affidavit.jpg (62.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 11th September 2018, 06:10 AM   #766
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I don't believe her, I think the lights were on when she entered, why wouldn't they be?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:13 AM   #767
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Well, if I ever need a significant volume of water carried for me, I'll know who to call.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:18 AM   #768
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So her own story (a story she could have made up since she killed the only person that could counter it) is that she opened a door, saw a shape, and shot it.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:19 AM   #769
chrispy
Graduate Poster

This wasn't very late at night. 10 pm-ish, IIRC. No lights on? No TV on? Soemthing about this part of the story doesn't smell right to me.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:29 AM   #770
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So her own story (a story she could have made up since she killed the only person that could counter it) is that she opened a door, saw a shape, and shot it.
And also had to go back to gawk at the door to realise she wasn't home, even after turning the lights on an seeing the contents of the appartment.

As I said, an idiot. She should be relieved of field duty immediately and permanently, prevented from using firearms in perpetuity, and then charged with at the very least deadly negligence or whatever the equivalent is down there.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:46 AM   #771
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This does make a little more sense, if she turned the lights on and saw that things didn't look like her apartment and so went to the door to check the number.

Still, she claims she went from zero to homicide with little information. There's no way a trained police officer shoots any suspect immediately. If anyone should show control and discipline with a weapon, and not resort to shooting in fear, it is a cop.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:47 AM   #772
Whip
Graduate Poster

wondering why someone would try sticking a key in a door that is already ajar by her description
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:48 AM   #773
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Taser is unreliable and has only one shot. Typically it's used with other cops covering the one who is using it. If I had gun and taser on the table, and burglar comes to my house, I'm choosing the gun.
I'm going to try absolutely anything else, unless a gun is pointed at me.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:50 AM   #774
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I hadn't noted it before but she shot Jean whilst she was standing in the corridor, which to my mind makes a "fear reaction" even less likely.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:52 AM   #775
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

From the affidavit: "...gave verbal commands that were ignored..." I wonder what those commands were?
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:54 AM   #776
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't know if it is spelled out to this degree of specificity in law enforcement but in the military it is beaten into us that in order to deploy lethal force the person(s) lethal force are being applied to have, Have, HAVE, got to meet three requirement*:

1. Capability - The target has the means of inflicting death or bodily harm.
2. Intent - The target has to expressed reasonably clear will and desire to cause death or bodily harm.
3. Opportunity - The target has to be in a reasonable position and scenario where they could cause death or bodily harm.

Take away any of those and you keep your booger hook off the trigger, no questions asked, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.

I've seen 18 year old boots with dishwater IQs grasp this concept after a single class and they do not get near a weapon until they understand it.

Please take note that "I'm scared for my life" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "I'm in a situation where I haven't removed the chance of any possibility of any danger to myself" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "I can imagine myself in this scenario, therefore it can't be wrong" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "Failure to follow verbal commands" would only be one potential factor in Intent in some cases, not necessarily a blank check to shoot.

*I think some of the other services call it Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy, but they are essentially talking the same three factors.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th September 2018 at 06:58 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:54 AM   #777
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
From the affidavit: "...gave verbal commands that were ignored..." I wonder what those commands were?
I wonder if, had she entered her own apartment, she'd have ended up shooting the lampshade?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:57 AM   #778
chrispy
Graduate Poster

My guess is "Stop resisting!" after shooting him.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:01 AM   #779
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quite a bit of that makes no sense.

She's claiming the door was actually open, not just unlocked?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:02 AM   #780
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

And why would Jean not say anything?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:03 AM   #781
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Vague statement is vague but the way I read it the door was "closed" but the lock wasn't latched to it just sort of opened when she touched it.

But as you say it isn't 100% clear.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:03 AM   #782
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I hadn't noted it before but she shot Jean whilst she was standing in the corridor, which to my mind makes a "fear reaction" even less likely.
IMO, if she was actually still in the corridor, she seems considerably more reckless.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:03 AM   #783
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Also doesn't jibe with the witness claiming she called out 'let me in', twice.

eta: setting the groundwork that she didn't force her way in because it was open?

Last edited by Thermal; 11th September 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:07 AM   #784
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't know if it is spelled out to this degree of specificity in law enforcement but in the military it is beaten into us that in order to deploy lethal force the person(s) lethal force are being applied to have, Have, HAVE, got to meet three requirement*:

1. Capability - The target has the means of inflicting death or bodily harm.
2. Intent - The target has to expressed reasonably clear will and desire to cause death or bodily harm.
3. Opportunity - The target has to be in a reasonable position and scenario where they could cause death or bodily harm.

Take away any of those and you keep your booger hook off the trigger, no questions asked, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.

I've seen 18 year old boots with dishwater IQs grasp this concept after a single class and they do not get near a weapon until they understand it.

Please take note that "I'm scared for my life" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "I'm in a situation where I haven't removed the chance of any possibility of any danger to myself" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "I can imagine myself in this scenario, therefore it can't be wrong" isn't in any of those.
Please take note that "Failure to follow verbal commands" would only be one potential factor in Intent in some cases, not necessarily a blank check to shoot.

*I think some of the other services call it Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy, but they are essentially talking the same three factors.
'Booger hook'?
Old 11th September 2018, 07:08 AM   #785
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
'Booger hook'?
Trigger finger.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:09 AM   #786
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Vague statement is vague but the way I read it the door was "closed" but the lock wasn't latched to it just sort of opened when she touched it.

But as you say it isn't 100% clear.
Maybe Jean was expecting a neighbor to visit, and left the door cracked open?

We're only getting one side of the story.

We'll only get part of Jean's story from witnesses and evidence.

Old 11th September 2018, 07:10 AM   #787
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he did, something along the lines of 'who...what...huh?'
Old 11th September 2018, 07:11 AM   #788
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Maybe Jean was expecting a neighbor to visit, and left the door cracked open?
Or it just could have not closed all the way. It happens, a door is a little warped or off balance or a lock/keyset is a little old and worn out, you think you close it but it's only halfway shut... stuff like that just happens.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:12 AM   #789
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

He's on his own in his apartment, suddenly a woman is there screaming commands and pointing a gun at him, and not having any military training he freezes with shock? Or he did say something but she was so pumped with adrenaline that she didn't hear him? Or he said something she didn't like and she shot without thinking, then decided it would sound better if she said he didn't respond in any way?

Please don't start trying to suggest Jean did something wrong here. A police officer entered his apartment illegally and shot him dead without properly assessing whether he presented any threat. Nothing he could have done, up to and including shooting her dead on the spot, could have been illegal in the circumstances.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:16 AM   #790
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'm sure he did, something along the lines of 'who...what...huh?'
Jean must have been able to see Guyger fairly well.

It seems odd that the affidavit doesn't report what Guyger or Jean said.

If he was in his underwear, it seems like he was in bed or getting ready for bed.

You'd think he'd secure the front door before retiring.

Old 11th September 2018, 07:19 AM   #791
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

He's on his own in his apartment, suddenly a woman is there screaming commands and pointing a gun at him, and not having any military training he freezes with shock? Or he did say something but she was so pumped with adrenaline that she didn't hear him? Or he said something she didn't like and she shot without thinking, then decided it would sound better if she said he didn't respond in any way?

Please don't start trying to suggest Jean did something wrong here. A police officer entered his apartment illegally and shot him dead without properly assessing whether he presented any threat. Nothing he could have done, up to and including shooting her dead on the spot, could have been illegal in the circumstances.

Dave
Just going over the case, not assigning blame.

There's no question of who is to blame.

However, we all know what will happen in court.

Old 11th September 2018, 07:20 AM   #792
Distracted1
Philosopher

"Ajar", which generally means closed-but with the latch not completely engaged.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:21 AM   #793
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trigger finger.
I gathered. English is a rich and imagerous language. Sometimes a little too rich. Ugh.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:22 AM   #794
Distracted1
Philosopher

Jean must have been able to see Guyger fairly well.

It seems odd that the affidavit doesn't report what Guyger or Jean said.

If he was in his underwear, it seems like he was in bed or getting ready for bed.

You'd think he'd secure the front door before retiring.
A statement reported earlier from the family attorney claims that he was fully clothed.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:22 AM   #795
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Dave
From a Texas Law Firm's site, the requirements for defense under Castle Doctrine:

Quote:
Texas law provides for a justifiable defense at trial when using deadly force if the person claiming self defense:

1. Reasonably believed the deadly force was immediately necessary (Jean would have had this, she did not)
2. Had a legal right to be on the property (Jean had this, she did not)
3. Did not provoke the person against whom deadly force was used (She did, he did not); and
4. Was not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force was used (she was, he was not).
https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/deadly-fo...ense-in-texas/
Old 11th September 2018, 07:24 AM   #796
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I gathered. English is a rich and imagerous language. Sometimes a little too rich. Ugh.
And "Booger hook" is just the trigger finger. Your entire hand is your "Dick Skinner" as in "Keep your dick skinners off your weapon unless you are ready to pull it."
Old 11th September 2018, 07:26 AM   #797
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
From a Texas Law Firm's site, the requirements for defense under Castle Doctrine:

Quote:
Texas law provides for a justifiable defense at trial when using deadly force if the person claiming self defense:

1. Reasonably believed the deadly force was immediately necessary (Jean would have had this, she did not)
2. Had a legal right to be on the property (Jean had this, she did not)
3. Did not provoke the person against whom deadly force was used (She did, he did not); and
4. Was not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force was used (she was, he was not).
The apologist (and most probably her legal defense) will say that she thought all those things were true so she's still in the clear.

And it will probably work.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:26 AM   #798
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Beats butt-scratcher.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:28 AM   #799
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
"Ajar", which generally means closed-but with the latch not completely engaged.
That's not what ajar means.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:35 AM   #800
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The apologist (and most probably her legal defense) will say that she thought all those things were true so she's still in the clear.

And it will probably work.
IIRC, Texas is a letter-of-the-law state, not a spirit-of-the-law state in interpretation? Might be tougher if so
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events