IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 10th May 2017, 02:19 PM   #521
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
This is an important part of it. Rumor is that Guliani is going to be offered Comey's position. Denying it now, but reports say that's been pushed in the White House.

Talk about ********** up, if that happens.
I have heard that he or Christie are his first choices but I don't believe it for a second. (Now watch me be wrong.)

But as I said I don't believe it because that would accelerate the furor. More than likely those choices are just being floated so another choice that might be unacceptable in his own right but not as controversial as those picks would certainly be could be made.
Old 10th May 2017, 02:22 PM   #522
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I have heard that he or Christie are his first choices but I don't believe it for a second. (Now watch me be wrong.)

But as I said I don't believe it because that would accelerate the furor. More than likely those choices are just being floated so another choice that might be unacceptable in his own right but not as controversial as those picks would certainly be could be made.
Yeah, the only thing I know for sure is that the choice is going to be awful.

The Giuliani thing is only interesting because he's such a part of this Russian connection. Firing an independent FBI Director in the middle of investigating Trump Co. only to replace him with one of the people under investigation would be the ballsiest (and most corrupt) move arguably in Presidential history.

Even Nixon didn't turn around and immediately appoint G. Gordon Liddy as special prosecutor...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:25 PM   #523
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Typical answers from the left when they have no argument. It's getting quite ridiculous!
Typical cheap shot from the Right when they get called on their BS
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:29 PM   #524
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The point is that he didn't wait for the lettered to be delivered before he tweeted it.
I can't find a cite for this, only that Tweets flew after the letter was sent.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:37 PM   #525
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The Giuliani thing is only interesting because he's such a part of this Russian connection. Firing an independent FBI Director in the middle of investigating Trump Co. only to replace him with one of the people under investigation would be the ballsiest (and most corrupt) move arguably in Presidential history.

Even Nixon didn't turn around and immediately appoint G. Gordon Liddy as special prosecutor...
And considering what Jaworski did, Nixon probably wish he did. Congress is so partisan these days, Trump may get away with it. After all Trump appointed the very corrupt Jeff Sessions as AG and the Republicans approved him.
Old 10th May 2017, 02:42 PM   #526
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Whatever country you're from, I can promise it is but a pimple on our ass!
I'm sorry you have a pimpley ass
Old 10th May 2017, 02:50 PM   #527
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Whatever country you're from, I can promise it is but a pimple on our ass!
As a famous penguin may have said ...

'Pear pimples for peary asses!'
Old 10th May 2017, 02:51 PM   #528
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
If their "own free will" is based on lies and deception then it isn't how they would have voted absent those lies and deception. It's the same as if their votes were flipped by the machine (which may also have happened).
BS. We all have opinions based on things we think are true but aren't. This doesn't magically remove our responsibility in the decisions we make, because we have the ability to check these opinions against reality, and don't.

Trump was elected entirely legitimately.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:52 PM   #529
Belz...
Fiend God

Nah, he'll just do something outrageous that the rest of us wouldn't expect out of normal human being. Trump is a lying POS. But he's a master at distraction. I doubt he needs to actually kill people.
Nor is he competent enough to organise such an event.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:02 PM   #530
Meadmaker

I heard Hannity on the radio a few minutes ago.

These people are nuts.

It was all about how Hillary was obviously a crook and blah, blah, blah.

And the server in the bathroom. Again with the server in the bathroom. For those who don't know the origin of that lie, at some point (after she stopped being SoS, if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong.) she hired a company to take over her server. They had recently moved into a new office building, which they remodeled. The server room was in a space that had once housed a bathroom. Hannity refers to the company as a "mom and pop shop with a server in the bathroom." That's just a plain old, easy to verify, lie.

Some of the other lies were much more severe, but they were subtle. "If you or I did what she did we would be in jail." That's a lie, but in theory it could just be a misunderstanding. Certainly, lots of people believe it, so when they, themselves, say it, it might just be an error, as opposed to being a lie. I focus on the "bathroom server" thing just because it is a lie, and he has repeated it often enough to know it's a lie, and it's easy to verify that it's a lie.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:07 PM   #531
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Typical cheap shot from the Right when they get called on their BS
The only thing you're calling him is a troll. You've got no argument and cheap shots to boot.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:09 PM   #532
logger
Banned

I have to defend my country...but not logger. On behalf of my fellow citizens, we apologize for people like logger. We're not all like him.
You could always move instead of apologizing. We do own it all at this point.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:11 PM   #533
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Really? You think the US is important anymore? Really?
Lol
Yeah, yeah I do.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:11 PM   #534
Apathia
Philosopher

Local talk radio is saying, "Joe Arpaio."

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:12 PM   #535
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You could always move instead of apologizing. We do own it all at this point.
No, I'd rather YOU leave.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:14 PM   #536
logger
Banned

No, I'd rather YOU leave.
Now why would I do that. I love it here, most agree with me and it seems you're doing all the bitching and apologizing. Seems you'd be much happier in a country that could take care of you better?
Old 10th May 2017, 03:16 PM   #537
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'd say only to Trump fans that really don't care because they'd have thought it a genius move no matter what he did including having him called to the White House and publicly executed on the front lawn.

The issue with Trump's claim is that at the time Trump was acting as Comey's cheerleader. You don't get to cheer on someone and then six months later declare that the very thing you cheered on was a firing offence. If it's a firing offence now, then it was 6 months ago too when you were all for it. What that reeks of is hypocrisy.

There is also the matter that the actions aren't Trump's concern as a boss. They were dealt with under Comey's boss at the time, Obama. If it was a fireable offence, then he should have been fired then. If you don't get why then look at it this way. You do something in your job that breeches the rules. Your boss considers it and lets you off with a warning. Six months later a new boss comes in and decides that the warning was insufficient and fires you for something that you didn't even do on his watch and had been actioned already. See why such a thing is unfair?

What else do we let this sort of thing happen for? If a new moderator doesn't like how one of your posts was handled six months ago, should they be allowed to have you banned over it? In a new Prosecutor decides that he didn't like that you were warned rather than prosecuted for something, should he be able to restart legal actions against you after they were dealt with?

If this sort of thing is allowable and fine, then no one is ever safe from further retaliation over their actions because anyone can later revise the issue and take further actions against you. This is a totally unjustifiable and unfair way to live, and why such things as double jeopardy laws were included in our criminal justice systems.

Now in all of this, I'm not disagreeing with Trump firing Comey, he has that right, though it is rarely used, but what I am saying is that it's not a Genius move to blame it on the way that he handled the Clinton Email Case since at the time Trump was his biggest cheer-leader and so now in claiming to be firing him for it, Trump is behaving hypocritically.
There is a difference between a normal job and someone who as a political appointee works at the pleasure of the President. Many political appointees are fired simply for being appointed by previous administration every time WH changes occupancy. Traditionally this does not include the FBI which although Director is a political appointee, he is to run an apolitical department. Comey failed to do this & politicized the FBI to a degree only outdone by in Hoover days. He needed to go.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:19 PM   #538
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This is the second time in history. Bill Clinton fired the FBI director for petty corruption, e.g. using government money to upgrade his home. It was uncontroversial; Clinton wasn't being investigated.

There's a reason that FBI directors are supposed to serve a 10 year term.
At this time Trump is not under investigation. FLYNN and possibly others from his team are, but not Trump himself. And despite 10 year term he is still subject to termination by POTUS whoever he/she is.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:22 PM   #539
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

He needed to go EARLIER. Trump waited until Comey was aiming at HIM to fire him. Whether or not Trump is being directly investigated at this time is not relevant, enough of the people closest to him and involved in his election are under suspicion to threaten him. Trump is calling attention to what he's afraid of.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:31 PM   #540
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
That'd be horrifying. Trump's fond of David Clarke isn't he?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:34 PM   #541
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Now why would I do that. I love it here, most agree with me and it seems you're doing all the bitching and apologizing. Seems you'd be much happier in a country that could take care of you better?
I love my family and my neighbors. The rest we can adjust with a few elections.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:37 PM   #542
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
There is a difference between a normal job and someone who as a political appointee works at the pleasure of the President. Many political appointees are fired simply for being appointed by previous administration every time WH changes occupancy. Traditionally this does not include the FBI which although Director is a political appointee, he is to run an apolitical department. Comey failed to do this & politicized the FBI to a degree only outdone by in Hoover days. He needed to go.
That's fine as long as a Independent Special Prosecutor is appointed. It appears as if Trump is obstructing justice.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:39 PM   #543
shuize
Master Poster

Meh. I lost respect for Comey when he outlined all the reasons how Clinton's handling classified material was negligent then insisted negligence required "intent."

But I am also enjoying watching Democrats fall over themselves to explain how Trump's firing Comey now is, like, totally different from when they were calling for his head just a few weeks ago, man.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:44 PM   #544
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

There is no loss of balance involved, no whiplash. Comey was Trump's darling for the Clinton email scandal, and should have been fired for what he did. Trump has now fired him almost a year later, citing the actions during the scandal that previously had been praised by Trump. The firing at this late date and during an investigation into Trump's administration itself points to fear and desperation on Trump's part.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:44 PM   #545
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
But I am also enjoying watching Democrats fall over themselves to explain how Trump's firing Comey now is, like, totally different from when they were calling for his head just a few weeks ago, man.
Seriously, why is this tough for people?

Maybe Toronto fans are fed up with Dwayne Casey and think he should be fired. They don't think he gives them the best chance to win.

Then he gets fired and the owner says, "We can't have a black coach."

Are you able to see that it's possible to think Casey was a bad coach but also be upset about why he was fired?

It seems to be the case that we Americans cannot handle even minimal levels of complexity.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:52 PM   #546
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Meh. I lost respect for Comey when he outlined all the reasons how Clinton's handling classified material was negligent then insisted negligence required "intent."

You can't be this obtuse. Nobody cares about Comey. It's the obstruction of justice. It is the independence of the office. I do think Comey should have been fired for inserting himself in an election at that time. Not in an effort to derail any investigation. Trump firing Comey at this time reeks of corruption.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:54 PM   #547
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Is he going to pardon him first?

That would be just about the worst choice Trump could make, and I don't think Arpaio'd have a snowballs chance in hell of being confirmed.

Probably just a right wing talk radio wet dream anyway.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:56 PM   #548
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Well...

Quote:
...because this is not about Comey?
Old 10th May 2017, 04:14 PM   #549
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
At this time Trump is not under investigation. ...
Who said this besides Trump and the Trumpettes?

Because Comey, Yates and Clapper all very carefully and specifically said, no comment.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 04:26 PM   #550
shuize
Master Poster

The Democrat's love-hate-love merry-go-round relationship with Comey is obviously politically motivated and quite amusing to watch.

"Comey may not know the definition of 'negligence' but he's the best FBI director ever!"
-- [Democrats before the election]

"Comey should be fired immediately! He's the worst FBI director ever!"
-- [Democrats after the election]

"Yes, yes, Comey is totally incompetent. But it's completely unfair that he was actually fired as we've been insisting ever since the election."
-- [Democrats now]
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 04:43 PM   #551
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The Democrat's love-hate-love merry-go-round relationship with Comey is obviously politically motivated and quite amusing to watch.

"Comey may not know the definition of 'negligence' but he's the best FBI director ever!"

"Yes, yes, Comey is totally incompetent. But it's completely unfair that he was actually fired as we've been insisting ever since the election."
-- [Democrats now]
Again, the problem ISN'T COMEY. The problem is the reason behind his firing and the independence of the investigation into Russia. And if you believe that Trump fired Comey because of how he handled the Hillary Clinton email scandal I've got some swampland in Florida for sale.

I don't know many Democrats that are standing up for Comey because they think he's a great man. No, they are concerned that Trump is attempting to obstruct an investigation into his campaign and the Russians. Trump can easily alleviate that concern by invoking the Special Prosecutor Act.
Old 10th May 2017, 04:48 PM   #552
Mumbles
Philosopher

-- [Democrats now]
Still wrong. There's a long-standing protocol on not doing anything to influence a presidential election, Comey violated it on multiple occasions, that's still negligence. And despite what he said, had anything come of the emails on Weiner's computer, he could easily have said "We have protocol to follow", and he'd have covered his arse at the very least.

Toupee Fiasco took the unprecedented step of firing the FBI head, while his campaign staff is under investigation. This, as others have said, reeks of corruption. Had he asked for Comey's resignation on day 1, I'd have said "Well, he kinda deserves it.". To do it now is just another display of his, and his staff's, incredible ignorance and stupidity.

ETA: especially since they thought everyone would see it as a "win-win", which is what Nixon apparently thought as well. These people need to read books, and I don't mean fictional racist tracts about blowing up boats full of brown-skinned refugees, like Bannon does.

Last edited by Mumbles; 10th May 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 04:59 PM   #553
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Toupee Fiasco took the unprecedented step of firing the FBI head, while his campaign staff is under investigation. This, as others have said, reeks of corruption. Had he asked for Comey's resignation on day 1, I'd have said "Well, he kinda deserves it.". To do it now is just another display of his, and his staff's, incredible ignorance and stupidity.
"Kinda?" He totally would have deserved it, and I would have said that the hellbeast occupying the Oval Office did something smart. I might even have thought there was a small chance for him to be serious about "draining the swamp." The hope would have proven false of course but, when it comes down to it, President Obama should have taken Comey out himself.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 06:20 PM   #554
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Still wrong. There's a long-standing protocol on not doing anything to influence a presidential election, Comey violated it on multiple occasions, that's still negligence. And despite what he said, had anything come of the emails on Weiner's computer, he could easily have said "We have protocol to follow", and he'd have covered his arse at the very least.

You do realize the investigation will go on.
Quote:
ETA: especially since they thought everyone would see it as a "win-win", which is what Nixon apparently thought as well. These people need to read books, and I don't mean fictional racist tracts about blowing up boats full of brown-skinned refugees, like Bannon does.
Its fascinating how you seem to be consumed with racist rants.
Old 10th May 2017, 06:40 PM   #555
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Quote:
Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped. Trump was frustrated when Comey revealed in Senate testimony the breadth of the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s effort to sway the 2016 U.S. presidential election. And he fumed that Comey was giving too much attention to the Russia probe and not enough to investigating leaks to journalists.
Quote:
One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...004_story.html

Last edited by Tony Stark; 10th May 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 06:57 PM   #556
xjx388

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
"Kinda?" He totally would have deserved it, and I would have said that the hellbeast occupying the Oval Office did something smart. I might even have thought there was a small chance for him to be serious about "draining the swamp." The hope would have proven false of course but, when it comes down to it, President Obama should have taken Comey out himself.
If Obama had let him go, there would have been charges that he was stalling the Clinton investigation. No matter who let him go or when they did it, there was going to be a backlash because that's the way partisan politics works.

The only question that matters to me is: Did Comey deserve to be fired? If the answer is, "yes," then Trump did the right thing.
Old 10th May 2017, 07:02 PM   #557
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
If Obama had let him go, there would have been charges that he was stalling the Clinton investigation. No matter who let him go or when they did it, there was going to be a backlash because that's the way partisan politics works.

The only question that matters to me is: Did Comey deserve to be fired? If the answer is, "yes," then Trump did the right thing.
********. Again, if he had been fired when he did something wrong (or right after the power to do so changed hands), that would be understandable. Firing him now for things that took place last year - things that were well publicized - is something else entirely.

We keep hearing that the firing was fine because the ****-spewing monster occupying the Oval Office had every right to do it. Well, he has had every right to do it for months. What made it so urgent now that the hellbeast couldn't even wait to do it in person, you know, in a civilized fashion?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 07:04 PM   #558
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Even if Trump fired him because Comey didn't back up the claim that Obama had Trump wiretapped, because Comey was more focused on the Russia investigation than hunting leakers, ect?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 07:10 PM   #559
TraneWreck
Philosopher

The only way this works is if Trump fires him right away. We learn that Comey was already investigating so Trump advocates for a special prosecutor to investigate his campaign, "If someone in my campaign betrayed the nation, I want to know about it."
Old 10th May 2017, 07:11 PM   #560
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I wonder if Trump knows that Deep Throat was in the FBI. Nah, he's probably never even heard of Deep Throat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics