IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 9th May 2017, 04:10 PM   #81
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Hillary has got to be pleased that her unceasing attacks on Comey have born fruit.
I'm afraid there's more to this than comedic value.

Trump is showing way too much neocon under the gills and they sure hate Comey. She was their Standard-Bearer.

So much we don't know...
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:12 PM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I don't think there is any real reason to believe that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is some partisan hack that would fabricate reasons for firing Comey when really he's trying to protect Trump from the Russia investigation.
Colin Powell was manipulated by Bush et al to support the WMD charge. Do we know Rosenstein wasn't similarly manipulated.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:13 PM   #83
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Honestly, as much as I hate Trump it is actually possible that Comey's firing has nothing to do with the Russia investigation and is actually about how he handled Hillary's email investigation.
Tony- are you feeling well? Just kidding, but your willingness to be generous in considering Trump's motivations in this regard cuts him much more slack than I would.

Yes, it is possible and I agree that Corney's handling of the Clinton email investigation was dreadful from procedural, political, and timing aspects. I honestly feel that it was the major wound during the campaign from which Clinton never recovered. And he should have been removed just for that reason, not to mention he very recent mis-statements on these issues during his Congressional testimony.

Or is it alternatively that the firing is because Corney did not file charges against Clinton, as one letter claims, and that now Trump wants to file charges??

But it is very difficult for me to see an unfair handling of Clinton's problems either way as motivating Trump. Just look at the nasty things Trump has said about Clinton and his lack of interest in legalities when Trump accused Clinton of criminal acts during his campaign. I see it as Corney's investigation of Trump's campaign contacts with Russia as being the primary motivation for Trump firing the guy, and Trump just using the Clinton investigation as an excuse.

We will have to see how much heat Trump gets for this.

Last edited by Giordano; 9th May 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:14 PM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Schumer spoke the coverup word. I can hear the reverberations beginning.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:16 PM   #85
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's not like the dismissal letter falsely states three times that Trump isn't under investigation.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

White House immediately hands out talking points memo quoting all the criticisms Schumer had about Comey earlier.

These guys were prepared for this coverup. But I don't think they read their Watergate history, or at least didn't see how it applied to them. Trump never thinks it applies to him.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th May 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:26 PM   #87
Crucible
New Blood

I now feel it is very unfair to compare Trump with Erdogan and Kim Jong-un. He should be compared to Henry VIII
Crucible is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:34 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Using the Clinton excuse is being called cynical by a pundit on MSNBC.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:36 PM   #89
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

If this were an administration that punished incompetence, I would understand.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:36 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I predict that this event will cause Trump to play golf.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:41 PM   #91
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the end , Comey put himself in a bad situation:Neither side really trusted him.
I wouldn't trust Toupee Fiasco as far as I can spit, but it is true that he pretty brazenly interfered in the presidential election, and it's recently come to light that his claim that Aderdin was forwarding "hundreds and thousands" of emails to Weiner was flat-out false. It's basically impossible to defend him at this point, and honestly, it's *possible* that he was fired simply because he had become a public embarrassment to Cheeto Benito, much like Flynn had. We know how pissy Trump gets about the actual voter count after all.

Getting to pick a new FBI director may simply be a bonus for him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:44 PM   #92
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the answer was 50 days...

Can I have my Million Dollars now?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:46 PM   #93
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: a desperate attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.

Last edited by Brainster; 9th May 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:47 PM   #94
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Long overdue. Now if only he can find a way to dissolve Congress and vacate the courts.
Words cannot describe the depth of my contempt for that statement and for anyone who believes that way.

The Usurper is now in complete control. The last vestige of legitimate governance is gone.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:50 PM   #95
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hate to defend Trump, but the FBI head serves at the pleasure of the President, and the President can fire him for any reason, good or bad.
He needs to be confirmed by Congress, but the POTUS retains the right of Dimissal.
Not when the man himself and his regime are under investigation. This BS woulden't fly in any lesser level of government. Comey should refuse to leave and dare Trump to force him out, which would prove once and for all that 2016 was a coup, not an election.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:54 PM   #96
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: a desperate attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
Nonsense of a truly staggering order.

Nixon also had his defenders when he fired Cox.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:55 PM   #97
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Notice how the letter points out Comey confirmed Trump wasn't under investigation which I don't believe Comey ever said in those words.
The pathological, continuous repetitions of his innocence are a sure sign of his guilt.

It's like Bart Simpson's "I didn't do it. Nobody saw me it. You can't prove I did it..."
Old 9th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #98
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Words cannot describe the depth of my contempt for that statement and for anyone who believes that way.

The Usurper is now in complete control. The last vestige of legitimate governance is gone.
Protip: run everything Cain says through a high-gain sarcasm filter.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: an attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
Pray tell, can you find even the slightest sliver of evidence that Trump would do this over Clinton and not over the Russia investigation?

If Trump did this months ago and appointed someone to pursue a Clinton prosecution, that would have made sense. He missed that window and not many people in his base were hammering for a Clinton prosecution.

Suddenly the Senate investigation of Trump/Russia shenanigans isn't going away like the House investigation did. And Comey makes one misspeak about how many emails were on Weiner's laptop, seriously, you think that actually mattered to all-about-me Trump?

Another of my predictions. Trump appoints an FBI director with the goal of quashing the Russia investigation. The FBI rank and file revolt and we start seeing a slew of whistle blowing leaks.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:57 PM   #100
Hercules56
Philosopher

Special Prosecutor time, especially if Trump nominates a Yes Man for next FBI Director.

This will NOT get better, it will get worse.

Trump will not say or do anything to restore our faith or give us calm, he will say and do things to make things WORSE.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:58 PM   #101
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

At this point, I wish but have no expectation that Pence and the cabinet are considering if their loyalties lay with the president or the nation. After tonight, loyalty to Trump is a betrayal of the country.

Last edited by Craig4; 9th May 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:02 PM   #102
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Are you actually buying the rank BS that the firing is over the handling of Clinton??

The Big Dog needs facts?!? <guffaw>
Remember, stormTrumpers have their own definition of "facts".
Old 9th May 2017, 05:03 PM   #103
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I predict that this event will cause Trump to play golf.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:03 PM   #104
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Also in the news today: Lindsey Graham also wants to investigate Trump's business ties to Russia.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:05 PM   #105
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
They need to issue a subpeona for his tax returns.

They can do it, and if he doesn't submit them he is in contempt of Congress
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:07 PM   #106
Hercules56
Philosopher

If Trump is smart, he will Tweet that they wanted to fire Comey early on due to his press conference in March but felt it might look political. But his bad testimony on Thursday convinced them he had to go.

But Trump is a moron and will NOT say something like this.

He will say something more stupid, and do more stupid things, and make this firing look like part of a cover up and a Stalinist Purge.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #107
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Protip: run everything Cain says through a high-gain sarcasm filter.
I certainly hope you are correct. Even if he is, though, a lot of people are going to say that or are saying that all over the place in the US who are not being sarcastic. I am repeatecly astonished at just how anti-democratic (small D) a large part of the nation has become.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #108
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the problem with lending too much credence to the Deputy Attorney General's letter: There's no way he wrote it on his own hook. At best, he was asked if he thought the FBI Director should be replaced and, if so, to put his thoughts in a memo. He could also have been instructed to provide a memo with a summary of good reasons the FBI Director should be fired.

The bottom line is that it is not something any sub-cabinet official would offer on their own.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:10 PM   #109
Meadmaker

I disagree about the Russia investigation.

In the right wing media, and in some parts of the left wing media, the Russia investigation is about whether the Russians participated in illegally or improperly rigging an election, and therefore showing that Donald Trump is not the legitimate President. In that sense, your description fits.

However, in the halls of Congress, and for the rest of the voters, the Russia investigation is all about what ties the President of the United States has with Vladmir Putin, or other Russian contacts. Russian influence on the election is a small part of that, but no one who can be taken seriously is suggesting that the Russians somehow stole the election. On the other hand, they did seem to want Donald Trump to be President, and a bunch of people close to Trump seem to have a lot of contact with Russians. That is something that makes people very curious.

I don't know if the (former) FBI director had anything to do with that in any meaningful way, such that his departure would be significant to the investigation. However, I know that the real thrust of any Russian connection has nothing to do with rigging an election, but rather on finding out why they were interested in the first place.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:12 PM   #110
Hercules56
Philosopher

Trump clearly decided that the possibility of this looking like a Stalinist Purge in order to hurt the investigation was a lesser evil, compared to Comey finding bad **** on Trump.

Trump assumed he can control the Justice Department and intimidate them into ending the investigation, or stearing away from Trump.

Or he will fire everyone he thinks might want to go there.

But it is TRUMP, who will get booted.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #111
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
They need to issue a subpeona for his tax returns.

They can do it, and if he doesn't submit them he is in contempt of Congress
wrong, separation of powers.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #112
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Another of my predictions. Trump appoints an FBI director with the goal of quashing the Russia investigation. The FBI rank and file revolt and we start seeing a slew of whistle blowing leaks.
Cue Deep Throat the Second.

Still, the chances of something very nasty happening have jumped sharply with this action. With the FBI now out of the way, Congress complicit with the regime, and the media sidelined every avenue of removing the regime via legal/legislative process seems all but gone.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:17 PM   #113
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
wrong, separation of powers.

True, but it will look like he has something to hide.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #114
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Found this on another website:
Employees fired by Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Employees investigating Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #115
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Found this on another website:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
Oh, its all just a big coincidence.

Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #116
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

From a Slashdot comment:
Quote:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
[ETA] Damned ninjas.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #117
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I disagree about the Russia investigation.

In the right wing media, and in some parts of the left wing media, the Russia investigation is about whether the Russians participated in illegally or improperly rigging an election, and therefore showing that Donald Trump is not the legitimate President. In that sense, your description fits.

However, in the halls of Congress, and for the rest of the voters, the Russia investigation is all about what ties the President of the United States has with Vladmir Putin, or other Russian contacts. Russian influence on the election is a small part of that, but no one who can be taken seriously is suggesting that the Russians somehow stole the election. On the other hand, they did seem to want Donald Trump to be President, and a bunch of people close to Trump seem to have a lot of contact with Russians. That is something that makes people very curious.

I don't know if the (former) FBI director had anything to do with that in any meaningful way, such that his departure would be significant to the investigation. However, I know that the real thrust of any Russian connection has nothing to do with rigging an election, but rather on finding out why they were interested in the first place.
On the contrary, a whole bunch of people are saying just that: the election was stolen. And those serious claims need a full investigation. This is not some easy to dismiss or easily refute claim like the Birth Certificate.

16 domesticand at least one foreign intelligence and//or law enforcement agency has said there is credible evidence that Russian operatives influenced the outcome of the election. This information has been corroborated by several independent media outlets.

GIven the supreme importance of guaranteeing power in our government is ONLY transferred by a demonstrably clean vote the Usurper's removal of the only remaining gov't official with both the will and the necessary power to get to the bottom of this is damning.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #118
The Big Dog

Using the Clinton excuse is being called cynical by a pundit on MSNBC.
Lets take a look at what NBC was saying this morning about Comey?

Quote:
FBI Director James Comey grossly overstated to Congress the number of emails Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin forwarded to husband Anthony Weiner while working at the State Department, the FBI said in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.
lolz
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:22 PM   #119
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
True, but it will look like prove he has something to hide.
FIFY. As if we don't have enough proof as it is.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:22 PM   #120
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
I now feel it is very unfair to compare Trump with Erdogan and Kim Jong-un. He should be compared to Henry VIII
I prefer Charles the Bold https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_the_Bold.

His story didn't end well. Not for him, anyway.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics