IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 11th June 2017, 11:58 AM   #2401
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, so you don't like me anymore?
Sorry, when did I like you?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 12:10 PM   #2402
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm curious how many people think Comey should have kept his job solely based on how he handled the Clinton "investigation" leading up to the election.

Aside from all things Trump, I think he screwed up enough to warrant his replacement. I also think Trump is an idiot for handling it like he did and he should have canned him right away, if at all.

Comey's own testimony shows what a fool Comey is.
Old 11th June 2017, 12:40 PM   #2403
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I'm curious how many people think Comey should have kept his job solely based on how he handled the Clinton "investigation" leading up to the election.

Aside from all things Trump, I think he screwed up enough to warrant his replacement. I also think Trump is an idiot for handling it like he did and he should have canned him right away, if at all.

That would only be relevant if that was part of Trump's decision. It wasn't. Efforts to consider if he should have been fired over the Clinton handling seems really misleading.

By the way, one person who thought he was very brave for it was Trump.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 11th June 2017 at 12:44 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 12:42 PM   #2404
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sorry, when did I like you?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 12:46 PM   #2405
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

He's leagues more trustworthy than Trump, tho. When impeachment rolls around, Comey's testimony is going to be one of the crucial points that bury Trump and his wretched presidency.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 12:53 PM   #2406
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
"See? He's not saying anything incriminating because there's nothing there." (paraphrasing) most definitely is using the first clause to prove the second, regardless of how "because" should normally be used.
It sounds like begging the question to me.

"I wanted an automatic transmission."
"Why?"
"Because I didn't want to shift."
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 01:11 PM   #2407
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Leading question.
I am one who thinks there is no reason he should not have kept his job. As the head of the FBI is typically a job that is served out and not replaced when a new President comes in, yes, he should have kept his job - but not "solely based on how he handled the Clinton investigation", nor at all based on the Clinton investigation, but based on the fact that he ran the FBI ok and there was no reason to replace him.

Aside from all things Trump, I think he screwed up enough to warrant his replacement.
Can you name anything specific?

Can you be specific?
Old 15th June 2017, 09:53 PM   #2408
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Leading question.
I am one who thinks there is no reason he should not have kept his job. As the head of the FBI is typically a job that is served out and not replaced when a new President comes in, yes, he should have kept his job - but not "solely based on how he handled the Clinton investigation", nor at all based on the Clinton investigation, but based on the fact that he ran the FBI ok and there was no reason to replace him.
I disagree. Obama should have fired him the day he testified about the Clinton email inquiry. He violated policy that says the FBI does not comment on ongoing investigations. AND, worse, he went on and on about Clinton's careless mishandling of classified emails. FBI policy says that commenting about the behavior of a person under investigation is strictly forbidden.

Comey may have been a good FBI Director up to then but someone at that level should not be able to violate policy so egregiously and remain in place. After all, his errors arguably affected the outcome of the most important election in American - the election of the President.

So 100% of the error lies with Obama. I speculate that the reason he did not act is that the Republicans would have raised holy hell, claiming that he was attempting to influence the election toward HRC. Tough. He should have acted and taken the heat.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 10:12 PM   #2409
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I disagree. Obama should have fired him the day he testified about the Clinton email inquiry. He violated policy that says the FBI does not comment on ongoing investigations. AND, worse, he went on and on about Clinton's careless mishandling of classified emails. FBI policy says that commenting about the behavior of a person under investigation is strictly forbidden.

Comey may have been a good FBI Director up to then but someone at that level should not be able to violate policy so egregiously and remain in place. After all, his errors arguably affected the outcome of the most important election in American - the election of the President.

So 100% of the error lies with Obama. I speculate that the reason he did not act is that the Republicans would have raised holy hell, claiming that he was attempting to influence the election toward HRC. Tough. He should have acted and taken the heat.
The joke is the suggestion that how Comey handled the Clinton investigation had anything to do at all as to why Trump fired Comey.

I can only think of 2 possible reasons why Trump fired Comey. The first is that Trump panicked when he realized the FBI investigation would continue and the second was that Comey had no interest in being a sycophant like other members of Trump's cabinet.

I still can't get over how servile and obsequious his cabinet was towards Trump during the last cabinet meeting.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:01 PM   #2410
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm pretty sure that if Obama had fired Comey the day he testified about the Clinton email inquiry it would not have been particularly beneficial to Hillary's campaign prospects.

"Kiss of death." would be more likely.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th June 2017 at 11:02 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 12:00 AM   #2411
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

He wouldn't have taken the heat. It would have been all about trashing Hillary. I agree his hesitancy could be maddening. Aside from "we will find Osama bin Laden and we will kill him," he hemmed and hawed quite a bit.

ETA: What Quadraginta said.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I still can't get over how servile and obsequious his cabinet was towards Trump during the last cabinet meeting.
If Betsy DeVos was there, I missed it. I think I watched the whole video. Don't really want to watch it again.

Last edited by Minoosh; 16th June 2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Word choice
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 12:31 AM   #2412
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If Betsy DeVos was there, I missed it. I think I watched the whole video. Don't really want to watch it again.
DeVos at the creepy cabinet meeting: "It's a privilege to serve, to serve the students of this country, and to work to ensure that every child has an equal opportunity to get a great education, and therefore a great future."
Old 16th June 2017, 12:35 AM   #2413
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
DeVos at the creepy cabinet meeting: "It's a privilege to serve, to serve the students of this country, and to work to ensure that every child has an equal opportunity to get a great education, and therefore a great future."
Is that all she said? It's a pretty safe statement. No Trump praise though, if that is the whole of her remarks.
Old 16th June 2017, 12:50 AM   #2414
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Is that all she said? It's a pretty safe statement. No Trump praise though, if that is the whole of her remarks.
Yes, that was all.
Here the full video, DeVos at minute 4.
Old 16th June 2017, 12:54 AM   #2415
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Yes, that was all.
Here the full video, DeVos at minute 4.
I can't say it makes me like her, but the lack of praise is interesting. Maybe she didn't get what she was supposed to do or maybe there is a rift.
Old 16th June 2017, 02:38 AM   #2416
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I can't say it makes me like her, but the lack of praise is interesting. Maybe she didn't get what she was supposed to do or maybe there is a rift.

Yeah. She probably didn't understand the lesson.

Education isn't her strong suite.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 06:09 AM   #2417
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah. She probably didn't understand the lesson.

Education isn't her strong suite.
I hope you still have time to edit this one.
TofuFighter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 10:58 AM   #2418
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I hope you still have time to edit this one.

Nah. I don't always catch all my typos.

And there are a lot to catch.

More and more as time goes by.

Old 18th October 2017, 04:50 AM   #2419
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

As it has turned out, James Comey lied and leaked and totally protected Hillary Clinton. He was the best thing that ever happened to her!
What was the official reason for firing Comey again?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 07:55 AM   #2420
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The best reasons. Everyone says so.
Old 18th October 2017, 08:14 AM   #2421
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
he is taller than Trump.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:13 AM   #2422
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
he is taller than Trump.
I'm much taller than Trump! It gives me pleasure that Trump would immediately despise me because of it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 09:24 AM   #2423
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I'm much taller than Trump! It gives me pleasure that Trump would immediately despise me because of it.
It doesn't work like that. Trump has the best height. Absolutely the best. You won't believe how good his height is, it's that good. Just last week, Michael Jordan or one of those other guys, I don't remember now, but he mentioned how great Trump's height was and how he wished he could have had the same height as Trump.

Your height isn't as good as Trump's, whether it's less or whatever, I don't know, but it's just not as good. He might feel a little sorry for you, with your infreer interfe ifnerior not-so-good height like that, but that's all.

Last edited by dasmiller; 18th October 2017 at 09:26 AM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 10:57 AM   #2424
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
It doesn't work like that. Trump has the best height. Absolutely the best. You won't believe how good his height is, it's that good. Just last week, Michael Jordan or one of those other guys, I don't remember now, but he mentioned how great Trump's height was and how he wished he could have had the same height as Trump.

Your height isn't as good as Trump's, whether it's less or whatever, I don't know, but it's just not as good. He might feel a little sorry for you, with your infreer interfe ifnerior not-so-good height like that, but that's all.
Someone told Trump he's taller.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:12 AM   #2425
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics