ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags persecution claims , secularism , war on christianity , William Barr

Old 14th October 2019, 06:06 PM   #1
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Article: Barr slams attacks on religious values, says 'moral upheaval' leading to soc

Link: [Barr slams attacks on religious values, says 'moral upheaval' leading to societal ills]

Excerpt:
Quote:
The campaign to destroy the traditional moral order has coincided and I believe has brought with it immense suffering and misery. And yet the forces of secularism, ignoring these tragic results, press on with even greater militancy
Old 14th October 2019, 08:28 PM   #2
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Most of the blame for the decay they fear falls back on them.
Society is outgrowing the need for religion more each new generation. They have no new tricks, no new hook to appeal than a century ago.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 08:48 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hard to get more inappropriate as the AG without wearing Klan robes.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 08:59 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I didn't realise the Attorney General was also the US State Archbishop of the USA.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:55 PM   #5
llwyd
Muse

An excellent rebuttal: No, Secularists Are Not Ruining America

But then again, that's just mere facts, like they mean anything...
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 12:18 AM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Religious Moron Says Something Stupid. Again.

News at ten.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #7
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

The people who voted for Donald Trump, and intend to do so again, do not get to lecture anybody else about morality and be taken seriously.
Old 18th October 2019, 06:36 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
The people who voted for Donald Trump, and intend to do so again, do not get to lecture anybody else about morality and be taken seriously.
THIS. And I note in particular the Evangelicals who have embraced Trump so greatly.

And, yes, some Secularist are Alpha Hotels, just as intolerant as the religious fundies they hate so much but the Chirsitian Fundies have no business pointing fingers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:41 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Most of the blame for the decay they fear falls back on them.
Society is outgrowing the need for religion more each new generation. They have no new tricks, no new hook to appeal than a century ago.
I am not so sure about that. I am a total skeptic when it comes to religion.but it answers basic emotional needs, that is why it has lasted so long and I don't think religion in general is on it's last legs.
Of course I am a Live and Live Seculrist:Practice your religion, and welcome to it, just as long as you don't try to force it down my throat. You don't try to force your religion on me, I won't try to force my agnosticism on you.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:48 PM   #10
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am not so sure about that. I am a total skeptic when it comes to religion.but it answers basic emotional needs, that is why it has lasted so long and I don't think religion in general is on it's last legs.
Of course I am a Live and Live Seculrist:Practice your religion, and welcome to it, just as long as you don't try to force it down my throat. You don't try to force your religion on me, I won't try to force my agnosticism on you.
The complication is that there is an element within the Religious Right that believes equal rights for religions other than their own is 'forcing' those religions on them. ie: that not being allowed to fire their Agnostic employee is state intervention in their practicing of religion as they see fit.

These conflicts are where the Supreme Court and Justice Department (ie the organization controlled by Barr, the religious chap quoted in the article) will weigh in over the next few decades, and by the sound of it, not to Agnostics' benefit.
Old 23rd October 2019, 03:54 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
The complication is that there is an element within the Religious Right that believes equal rights for religions other than their own is 'forcing' those religions on them. ie: that not being allowed to fire their Agnostic employee is state intervention in their practicing of religion as they see fit.

These conflicts are where the Supreme Court and Justice Department (ie the organization controlled by Barr, the religious chap quoted in the article) will weigh in over the next few decades, and by the sound of it, not to Agnostics' benefit.
Oh, I agree, and will fight the evangelicals like hell if they try to use the law to make this a official Christian Nation.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Thor 2
Philosopher

Typical crap from the religious making claims about the effects of secularism that they just know must be true without reference to the facts that disprove their assumptions.

Quote:
Speaking to an audience at the University of Notre Dame Law School, Barr outlined a grim vision of cultural trends, saying a "moral upheaval" and decades of efforts to undermine religion had given way to growing illegitimacy rates, drug use, and "angry, alienated young males" -- a population associated recently with a spate of domestic attacks.

Strange but I remember reading about illegitimacy being higher among the religious than the not so religious. Has something to do with the celibacy vows being the only birth control method, sanctioned by the faithful.

High domestic violence rates within religious families has also received some press in recent years. Preachers beating up their wives whist pointing to complementary religious text as justification.
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:27 PM   #13
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Link: [Barr slams attacks on religious values, says 'moral upheaval' leading to societal ills]

Excerpt:
Quote:
The campaign to destroy the traditional moral order has coincided and I believe has brought with it immense suffering and misery. And yet the forces of secularism, ignoring these tragic results, press on with even greater militancy
Sure. I demand a return to the biblical family values of incest, child sacrifice, polygamy, genocide, slavery, drunkeness, and offering up ones daughters for gang rape to random strangers. What family would not be improved with such biblical values, right?

If your kids object, just stone them to death, it's the holy way, right?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:25 PM   #14
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

This is the "best people", not in jail yet. Stable Genius has the "best people", "get over it"?

Is there a dictionary for clownstick labels like "best people", and more.

https://i.imgflip.com/2h72ph.jpg -
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy