ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-gay rhetoric , Australia politics , Israel Folau , religion and politics

Old 17th November 2019, 08:19 PM   #1
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Israel Folau is at it again

In his most recent sermon given at The Truth of Jesus Christ Church in Kenthurst, north west of Sydney, Israel linked the devastating bush fires in NSW and Queensland to same-sex marriage and abortion legislation. Quoting from Isiah 24, he doubled down on the “hell awaits gay people" theme.

Quote:
“Look how rapid these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come in a short period of time, do you think it’s a coincidence? God is speaking to you guys — Australia, you need to repent and take these laws and turn it back into what is right by God.”

He said “God is speaking to us”, urging the congregation to repent and turn away from their sins, comparing the current world to Sodom and Gomorrah — Old Testament cities which were destroyed by God for the sin of its inhabitants.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...xQL8-dXyiBXOww

Needless to say, the current crop of Lib/NP politicans (including Scott Morrison) are in a stampede to distance themselves from these views.

No doubt we will see the usual "Folau should not be allowed to say this" but it shows that Folau is not just some rugby star who fell out of favour with Rugby Australia.
Old 17th November 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sounds reasonable. Kind of makes logical sense given we all know trans people cause volcanos and that.

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

All this happened since he moved from the purity of Melbourne Storm to the corrupt, hellish abomination of Rugby Union (his stint in AFL generated no controversy at all, so this is now officially Purgatory).

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 11:10 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think he is thinking to small.

Let's face it, we are all thinking it.

Did people having gay sex cause god to set off the Big Bang?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 11:12 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
All this happened since he moved from the purity of Melbourne Storm to the corrupt, hellish abomination of Rugby Union (his stint in AFL generated no controversy at all, so this is now officially Purgatory).
Lol

Old 17th November 2019, 11:37 PM   #6
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Scott Morrison's response:
Quote:
“They were appalling comments and he is a free citizen, he can say whatever he likes. But that doesn’t mean he can’t have regard to the grievous offence this would have caused to people whose homes have been burnt down,” said the prime minister.
And his mate, Alan Jones:
Quote:
“Israel is a lovely human being, I know him well. But, Israel, button up,” Jones said on his 2GB radio program.

“These comments don’t help.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/i...b71a46684e7eb5
Old 18th November 2019, 12:29 AM   #7
curious cat
Thinker

A rubber room case... and he could share it with prince Andrew .
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 12:43 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
A rubber room case... and he could share it with prince Andrew .
They can share it together on a hot day with Andy eating pizza and not being able to sweet.

Old 18th November 2019, 12:54 PM   #9
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think he is thinking to small.

Let's face it, we are all thinking it.

Did people having gay sex cause god to set off the Big Bang?
People having gay thoughts set off the big finger-bang. It might have progressed into the big bang, but it was dark and God was watching.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:02 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It has nothing to do with God. The same genetic mutation that causes gaiety also grants us assorted superpowers. A pyrokinetic gay (colloquially called a "flamer") set those fires. Shapeshifting gays ("bears") maul unwary campers. There are gays with photon-based powers ("twinks") and gays with electricity-based powers ("powerbottoms") and some, the most desirable of all, have all the superpowers ("versatiles"). Modern allies make a mistake when they say there's nothing to fear from the gays, because everyone should fear us very much indeed. Mwah hah hah, hah hah, hah!
Old 18th November 2019, 01:04 PM   #11
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

In other news, reports make him and him alone sole responsible for Male Pattern Baldness, and hangnails. Bastard!
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:11 PM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
In other news, reports make him and him alone sole responsible for Male Pattern Baldness, and hangnails. Bastard!
It took a few hundred posts, but this one is good.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
He just needs some domestic violence on his cv to get an NFL contract.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 03:55 PM   #14
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It has nothing to do with God. The same genetic mutation that causes gaiety also grants us assorted superpowers. A pyrokinetic gay (colloquially called a "flamer") set those fires. Shapeshifting gays ("bears") maul unwary campers. There are gays with photon-based powers ("twinks") and gays with electricity-based powers ("powerbottoms") and some, the most desirable of all, have all the superpowers ("versatiles"). Modern allies make a mistake when they say there's nothing to fear from the gays, because everyone should fear us very much indeed. Mwah hah hah, hah hah, hah!
That's an idea that makes me want to pull out my old Champions rulebook and build a team of super-heroes. Or villains. Or both.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:58 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He's free to say whatever hateful tripe he wants in his own time. But the rest of us are free to call him a disgusting bigot when he does so.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 12:47 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Folau reportedly walks away with 8 million and an apology from Rugby Australia.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spor...stralia-report

Quote:
Israel Folau to receive $8 million in settlement with Rugby Australia - report

Former Wallabies star Israel Folau has reportedly received an AU$8 million (NZ$8.39 million) settlement from Rugby Australia over his contract termination.

Rugby Australia, Israel Folau agree terms in confidential settlementPlay Video02:12

Folau received the huge payout after he originally sought $14 million in compensation for what he believed was wrongful termination by Rugby Australia, who sacked the fullback for a code of conduct breach on social media.

Folau's breach stemmed from an Instagram post earlier this year in which he said "Hell awaits" groups of people, including homosexuals and drunks.

Folau and Rugby Australia engaged in mediation this week and after a 12-hour meeting on Monday and follow-up lengthy phone calls after, the two parties announced yesterday they had reached an agreement after settling for a confidential amount.

The Daily Telegraph reports that sum is $8 million.

The figure is much higher than many pundits expected with former Wallaby and Australian media personality Peter FitzSimons saying in a recent Sydney Morning Herald column he expected nothing higher than "$200,000 to $300,000".

Old 4th December 2019, 03:05 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SO the US does not have monopoly of professional atheletes making total Alpha Hotels of themselves.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events