ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Hunter Biden , joe biden , rudy giuliani , Trump controversies , US-Ukraine relations

Old 24th September 2019, 04:31 PM   #401
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/elainejgodfrey/s...32939557380096

"Elaine Godfrey
@elainejgodfrey
Trump campaign just sent out an email with this subject line"

[Image shows words "Call Transcript"]
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:32 PM   #402
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think they may hope that. The problem is that it ISN'T a nothinburger. Trump and crazy Giuliani have already conceded the salient points. But that won't stop Republicans from trying to spi. It that way.
Funny how some people claim to be against Trump but call every accusation against Donnie a nothingburger.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:36 PM   #403
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm not sure we'll even get a fair impeachment, much less trial. There's a high likelihood that Trump will stonewall. Then it/various will go to the Supreme Court. Then who knows.

History unfolding before our eyes.
Which is why I think the should have impeachment hearings to get information.but hold off on actually voting impeachment until hopefully after the 2020 election.
In the US Army I was taught to always keep your eyes on the main objective. The main objective is to get Trump out of office. I don't think impeachment is going to work . And it might backfire.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #404
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Impeachment, should it occur, won't be limited to Trump+Ukraine. But as for Trump+Ukraine, what's the metric that defines a nothing burger...?

Senate fails to convict? That's a given no matter the facts, no matter the law.

Impeachment fails to move public opinion? Maybe even backlash? Who knows. Trump's robust portfolio of impeachable acts, including Trump+Ukraine, are in a different league entirely from Clinton's actions. But on the other hand, Trump's base is perfectly willing to interpret "Nice place you got, shame if something happened to it" as a genuine statement of concern. We're in uncharted territory and it's high risk for all concerned. I don't see a basis for exuding confidence -- in either direction.

Or maybe nothing burger means Trump actually did nothing improper. That's risible, given his and Guiliani's admissions, and the known facts concerning Biden.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:43 PM   #405
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Funny how some people claim to be against Trump but call every accusation against Donnie a nothingburger.
It is interesting, isn't it? This is worse than the issue involving Russia.Then he was the candidate trying to get a foreign country to smear a political opponent. This time as President he is doing it. Trump is a traitor and deserves the harshest penalty that can be meted out.

Last edited by acbytesla; 24th September 2019 at 04:57 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:32 PM   #406
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I did some reading about this. . . It all hinges on, essentially, a bribery charge. The proximity of the calls to the withheld aid transfer certainly lends credence to that charge in my view. I don’t really buy the “I wanted other nations to pay,” gambit, especially in conjunction with the “we have a right to withhold aid until Ukraine investigates its corruption,” gambit. Seems very much like this centers on investigating Hunter Biden.

Then again, there is a whole subplot in there where it’s alleged the Obama admin pressured Ukraine, with aid money, to fire a prosecutor who may or may not have been investigating Hunter Biden...

It’s a tangled web and I do think 1)The bribery charge is serious enough to warrant an inquiry and 2)We obviously don’t have all the information... but that’s what investigations are for.
The Obama actions are well known and have been reported on. There is no there there. The prosecutor pushed out was corrupt and the EU was involved, not just Obama and Biden.

The prosecutor was not investigating Hunter Biden's company at the time.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:37 PM   #407
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Impeachment, should it occur, won't be limited to Trump+Ukraine. But as for Trump+Ukraine, what's the metric that defines a nothing burger...?

Impeachment fails to move public opinion? Maybe even backlash? Who knows. Trump's robust portfolio of impeachable acts, including Trump+Ukraine, are in a different league entirely from Clinton's actions. But on the other hand, Trump's base is perfectly willing to interpret "Nice place you got, shame if something happened to it" as a genuine statement of concern. We're in uncharted territory and it's high risk for all concerned. I don't see a basis for exuding confidence -- in either direction.

Or maybe nothing burger means Trump actually did nothing improper. That's risible, given his and Guiliani's admissions, and the known facts concerning Biden.
I think the public is moveable and the Republican Senators may decide it is not in their best interest to continue supporting Trump.

Yes, we could write off the Senate after the Mueller report reaction, but I don't believe in the idea there is nothing than can touch Trump. He's gotten more blatant and more careless flaunting the law.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:41 PM   #408
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

McConnell will stone wall it. It will never even get to the vote in the Senate.

Yeah, yeah he "can't" do that... he'll still do it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:48 PM   #409
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

That would be unconstitutional from what I can tell. A trial is called for even if it is a sham.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:54 PM   #410
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

That would be unconstitutional from what I can tell.
So what?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:59 PM   #411
Beeyon
Critical Thinker

Why would he do that? He'll hold a one day trial where all witnesses and exhibits are selected by the majority, and then they'll acquit before dinner. No need to stonewall when you can hold a sham trial.

Last edited by Beeyon; 24th September 2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: A word
Beeyon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #412
Cain
Straussian

You guys want to believe the lying, fake news, fine. I believe the president. He was the only one willing to tell the truth about the hurricane.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:03 PM   #413
crescent
Illuminator

That would be unconstitutional from what I can tell. A trial is called for even if it is a sham.
He might never come out and say he won't do it. He just won't do it.

He might promise to do it eventually - but that event will never come to pass, it will always just be something he might do, someday....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:10 PM   #414
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Chuck Todd made a spectacular assertion tonight. Somehow the impeachment has to be tied up by the first primary vote or else, what were the Democrats thinking?

Why?

Don't know why but for some reason that was Todd's talking point on the news tonight.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:16 PM   #415
DallasDad
Muse

Alas, the Constitution fails us yet again. While it mandates that the Senate shall conduct a trial after receiving a bill of impeachment from the House, no timeline is provided. The Chief Justice will preside, but can't compel the trial to begin. Moscow Mitch can just sit on the trial as long as he wants, much as he did with Supreme Court nominees. The framers never conceived that the Senate's "advice and consent" might be withheld by simple refusal to get around to it.

The Constitution anticipated bad-faith actions from any one of the three branches of government, and put in place checks and balances so the other two branches could remedy things. It never anticipated that one branch would collude with another, rendering the checks impotent. The House cannot compel the Senate to act. The Constitution has no timeline, so no one can possibly have standing to let the Judiciary compel action.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:18 PM   #416
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
When things are complicated, and unlikely to succeed, I supported removing Trump with an election. Despite the Electoral College, elections are the ultimate legitimizer. But if this is not impeachable, then what is?
I've asked this question at least two or twelve times before, e.g. Is it impeachable when you conspire to violate federal election law? Is it impeachable when you repeatedly obstruct federal investigation into those who wage cyberwar against the United States? My GOP friends (what few I've left these days) don't much like to answer such questions, and I’m not seeing them coming around any time soon.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:21 PM   #417
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beeyon View Post
Why would he do that? He'll hold a one day trial where all witnesses and exhibits are selected by the majority, and then they'll acquit before dinner. No need to stonewall when you can hold a sham trial.
It won't be up to McConnell. The Constitution is very clear that the trial is to be presided over by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. This is not a ceremonial position.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:22 PM   #418
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

WAPO is saying the Giuliani has been the lead guy on the Ukraine project from almost day one.
Which makes Giuliani the number one guy on the "who can we throw to the wolves" list.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:23 PM   #419
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You guys want to believe the lying, fake news, fine. I believe the president. He was the only one willing to tell the truth about the hurricane.
Alabama is in ruins and the lying media cover it up!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #420
AnonyMoose
Muse

Wow! A whole singular phone call transcript will be released...

Gawd bless the Mercifully Generous Messiah™ in all his glorious display of cooperation and transparent honesty.

We shall dance in celebration of His holiness-ness!

Old 24th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #421
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It is interesting, isn't it? This is worse than the issue involving Russia.Then he was the candidate trying to get a foreign country to smear a political opponent. This time as President he is doing it. Trump is a traitor and deserves the harshest penalty that can be meted out.
Of course I think it is just another guy overdoing the contrarian routine....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:26 PM   #422
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

So would a temperate or mainstream Republican in 2020 actually have certain advantages long term over going straight to either a mainstream or far progressive Democrat? Would that... calm waters at all?

I mean nobody freak out and start thinking I'm actually proposing this as a solution or hoped for goal, but it's an interesting line of thought.
Not a single prominent Republican that you have ever heard of has stepped forward to criticize Trump. Temperate or not, mainstream or not. By their silence they have been complicit and this aspect of their record will be hammered on. Nothing to calm the waters in 2020, and maybe not by 2024.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:27 PM   #423
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I think Trump's lawyers are already preparing a "Yeah, Trump commited improper actions, but it does not rise to the level of something he should be removed from office for".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:29 PM   #424
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Not a single prominent Republican that you have ever heard of has stepped forward to criticize Trump. Temperate or not, mainstream or not. By their silence they have been complicit and this aspect of their record will be hammered on. Nothing to calm the waters in 2020, and maybe not by 2024.
No Republican currently holding office, that is. A number who are retired have been pretty rough on Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:29 PM   #425
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It won't be up to McConnell. The Constitution is very clear that the trial is to be presided over by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. This is not a ceremonial position.
Show me in the Constitution how long the Senate has to begin the trail after the House passes the impeachment proceedings on to them.

Also let's check to see what tribe the Chief Justice belongs too... oh he's a Republican.

True John Roberts, to his credit, has fairly routine moments of sanity but still.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:32 PM   #426
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I expect Trump will release a transcript of one call. But apparently there were half a dozen or more.
That's my understanding too.

I'm just waiting for an audible click on the recording.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:36 PM   #427
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump finally hands over the tapes, demanding only that they are played for the first time on National TV. Halfway through the tapes we hear a record scratch and "Never Gonna Give You Up" starts playing.

Ladies and Gentleman... the entire Trump Campaign has just been the most elaborate Rickroll in history.

Anyway thank you for coming to my TED Talk...
Old 24th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #428
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well there was McCain, but now he's dead.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #429
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

For the more skittish Dems, that might be a better outcome than voting against conviction -- it will look like they think he's guilty but are shielding him. Which is the truth, of course.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:40 PM   #430
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, I think Trump's lawyers are already preparing a "Yeah, Trump commited improper actions, but it does not rise to the level of something he should be removed from office for".
Trump has a slew of trial balloons out there, looking for anything that will stick.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:42 PM   #431
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Show me in the Constitution how long the Senate has to begin the trail after the House passes the impeachment proceedings on to them.

Also let's check to see what tribe the Chief Justice belongs too... oh he's a Republican.

True John Roberts, to his credit, has fairly routine moments of sanity but still.
Roberts has demonstrated at least once that he cares more about the SCOTUS than Republican causes.

If Roberts is in charge of the trial, maybe McConnell loses his delay tactic.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th September 2019 at 06:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:44 PM   #432
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not a single prominent Republican that you have ever heard of has stepped forward to criticize Trump.
What, you haven't heard of Mitt Romney before?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:46 PM   #433
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Roberts has demonstrated at least once that he cares more about the SCOTUS than Republican causes.

If Roberts is in charge of the trial, maybe McConnell loses his delay tactic.
Fair point, but even Roberts can't make 20 Republicans jump ship to support impeachment. 67 is the magic number. We've got 47.

This is all still so much... just nothing. Nothing is going to happen. It's just a matter of how long we're going to go through the steps before realizing that nothing is going to happen.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:46 PM   #434
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Doesn't matter much. The house makes their findings public as they go, and the vote in the Senate will be irrelevant by November 2020. Some Republican senators may even develop a spine as investigation results are released. It will be too much like cowardice not to. If that happens, McConnell will become irrelevant.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:46 PM   #435
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

So the White House will release the transcript with many 18-minute gaps? Screw 'em; get the whistleblower to testify, ASAP.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:49 PM   #436
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He is a Mormon first, Republican second
This might be his moment to fullfil the Prophecy and become the White Horse.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:50 PM   #437
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
So the White House will release the transcript with many 18-minute gaps? Screw 'em; get the whistleblower to testify, ASAP.
*Congress is listening to the tapes for the first time*

"That's weird. There's nothing about Biden or the Ukraine on here. Wait... Watergate... H.R. Haldeman... Vernon A. Walters.... he just gave us the Nixon tapes didn't he?"
Old 24th September 2019, 06:51 PM   #438
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Romney: tut, tut there Donald.

You call that criticism?
Old 24th September 2019, 06:54 PM   #439
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He caved when he thought he was going to get something, then stood up to Trump at some point later.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:56 PM   #440
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fair point, but even Roberts can't make 20 Republicans jump ship to support impeachment. 67 is the magic number. We've got 47.

This is all still so much... just nothing. Nothing is going to happen. It's just a matter of how long we're going to go through the steps before realizing that nothing is going to happen.
I wasn't talking about the final vote, I was referring to the delay tactic.

Upon reading a bit, it seems the law leaves McConnell all kinds of gaps to pull his unethical BS to delay the trial.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics