ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

Complain that BBC is like Pravda, then go to work for Pravda

Good job Alex salmond!

http://hurryupharry.org/2017/11/11/t...3disqus_thread
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Won't that be a good thing for the readers of Harrys Place? they don't like the BBC at all over there.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Something fishy about that.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 03:58 AM   #4
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

The trouble with these BBC officials is that they are establishment journalists who know nothing about making things. They don't really report the news. The disastrous result is that the British and American public are kept in sheer ignorance and they don't understand what is going on.

The BBC never reports anything about bugging or the lack of free speech in Australia and South Africa or the availability of machine guns in America or that Zimbabwe is now a crap country as the comedian Ali G might say. They hate controversy and there is a lack of useful and pointed criticism, except perhaps moaning about the Health Service all the time.

Alex Salmond is within his rights to appear on RT, which gives a different perspective and which does not insist that innocent people are guilty. Western governments want to keep their peoples ill-informed in case they become annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1j9UjjP3aU

This is the sort of thing that gets covered up by the BBC but not by You Tube
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 04:59 AM   #5
fagin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
The trouble with these BBC officials is that they are establishment journalists who know nothing about making things. They don't really report the news. The disastrous result is that the British and American public are kept in sheer ignorance and they don't understand what is going on.

The BBC never reports anything about bugging or the lack of free speech in Australia and South Africa or the availability of machine guns in America or that Zimbabwe is now a crap country as the comedian Ali G might say. They hate controversy and there is a lack of useful and pointed criticism, except perhaps moaning about the Health Service all the time.

Alex Salmond is within his rights to appear on RT, which gives a different perspective and which does not insist that innocent people are guilty. Western governments want to keep their peoples ill-informed in case they become annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1j9UjjP3aU

This is the sort of thing that gets covered up by the BBC but not by You Tube
You post a YT link to show what gets covered up the BBC? That's Associated Press, WTF does YT have to do with it? Or the BBC?

Or are you just more randomly confused than normal?

ps. YT is not a news service. They even have videos of kittens.

Last edited by fagin; 26th November 2017 at 05:02 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 05:32 AM   #6
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
You post a YT link to show what gets covered up the BBC? That's Associated Press, WTF does YT have to do with it? Or the BBC?

Or are you just more randomly confused than normal?

ps. YT is not a news service. They even have videos of kittens.
That is only because of the cover-up by the BBC!

On a more serious note. Posts like those above yours (and there are a few more posters like that), do serve a useful purpose.
They serve as a quick mark of how things and facts are certainly not! That goes beyond any question of whether the post in question is a result of trolling, or just simply mistaken.
Very useful in distinguishing between facts and fiction.

Last edited by erwinl; 26th November 2017 at 05:34 AM.
erwinl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand the mention of Zimbabwe. The BBC has given extensive coverage to the events and their background, Special features on the BBC News Channel, Special editions of Newsnight, Features on the BBC News Website. What more do you want?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 11:28 PM   #8
fagin
Illuminator

Henri McPhee seems to have a particular bee in his bonnet about Zimbabwe. Long derail in AAH.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325055

Last edited by fagin; 26th November 2017 at 11:30 PM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:29 AM   #9
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I don't understand the mention of Zimbabwe. The BBC has given extensive coverage to the events and their background, Special features on the BBC News Channel, Special editions of Newsnight, Features on the BBC News Website. What more do you want?
That's being very limited. ITV and Sky TV are just the same as the BBC officials. It's what is known technically as keeping it dark, and censorship, and the rewriting of the pure unadulterated historical truth. The Daily Express is only interested in the weather. They are only interested in glamour industries, like driverless cars and the high speed rail links, and cut backs to public spending, and they are lacking in wide and practical experience.

In a way I do find it a bit surprising that RT with Alex Salmond does not seem to have mentioned Mugabe resigning once, but unlike Britain and America and Cuba they do have Crimea and Ukraine on their borders. It's a different perspective.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How is the coverage 'very limited'? there has been hours of it on the BBC, you can still see the news specials on the iPlayer.

Yes, it's an important story but there are a lot of other things going on in the world.

How much more coverage do you think it would be reasonable for the BBC to produce and what other stories should they cut back on to make room for it?
Old 27th November 2017, 04:05 AM   #11
fagin
Illuminator

That way leads to the rabbit hole...
Old 27th November 2017, 04:07 AM   #12
fagin
Illuminator

random words....

In a way I do find it a bit surprising that RT with Alex Salmond does not seem to have mentioned Mugabe resigning once, but unlike Britain and America and Cuba they do have Crimea and Ukraine on their borders. It's a different perspective.
Er um, Zim is not on the border of Britain, or America, or even Cuba.

So your point is?
Old 27th November 2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Zimbabwe is also heavily indebted to China, so Russia is hardly going to crow about one of it's old allies (from the days of the struggle against the Smith regime) that slipped to the Chinese.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 04:25 PM   #14
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Zimbabwe is also heavily indebted to China, so Russia is hardly going to crow about one of it's old allies (from the days of the struggle against the Smith regime) that slipped to the Chinese.
From my recollection , Mugabe/Zanla was Chinese backed (and it was his rival Joshua Nkomo / zipra that was backed by the USSR).
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:46 AM   #15
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

That Crocodile in Zimbabwe has just appointed a Cabinet of Mugabe's henchmen and given them an amnesty if they have deposited their ill gotten gains in overseas bank accounts. They should be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court for that massacre in Matabeleland, which was covered up by BBC Pravda, and not reported by CBS in America. At least Channel 4 News has reported that Mugabe is a billionaire and his two sons by Grace Mugabe are playboys in South Africa living in a luxury house there.

As Lord Malvern (Godfrey Huggins) once said, and which applies to BBC Pravda keeping it dark:

Quote:
In spite of its high moral tones, British policy has the underlying belief that if it gave way quickly to Black nationalism, trade links would be forged with the African countries.
The UK government gave way when it should have stood firm. I may be a bit biased about this because one of my father's cousins used to live in Kenya.

There is more about this sort of thing in that 'The Welensky Story ' published in 1960 and which was censored by BBC Pravda:

Quote:
Intelligence agencies have reported to his and other governments that Communist countries are sending shipments of war weapons to Africa with monotonous regularity - twelve arms ships sailed from the East German port of Rostock, the Polish port of Stettin and the Soviet port of Pillau (the former German city of Koenigsberg) in one recent month. Portugal has informed him and its allies that the Soviet Union has signed an agreement with Guinea to establish a submarine base and radio installations in that country which France "freed".

The federal Prime Minister, through channels of official information, knows that throughout the entire complex of "freed" African countries, Soviet Russia has woven a network of background control: money has been poured into national coffers and individual pockets; rifles, machine guns, hand-grenades, Ilyushin planes and four-engine turbo transport aircraft have been sent from Communist countries; internal direction of African leaders and external indoctrination of future leaders are organised on an astounding scale.
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:51 AM   #16
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What was 'covered up' by the BBC? There has been a lot of coverage on the BBC of Zimbabwe, how much do you think there should be compared to any other similar events?

Iy has been covered on main news bulletins, BBC News Channel, BBC news website, Newsnight on BBC2 have had special features. PM, World at One and The World Tonight have all done features on Radio 4.

Do you want them to dedicate a special channel?

As for "The UK government gave way when it should have stood firm"

What does that mean? sent in troops to prop up the white minority governments?
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:11 AM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

There is more about this sort of thing in that 'The Welensky Story ' published in 1960 and which was censored by BBC Pravda:
I presume that it wasn't given airtime because it's nearly 60 years old and presumably is based on an Africa, and indeed world, which has changed beyond all recognition since then.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:57 AM   #18
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Quote:
<snip> the Soviet port of Pillau (the former German city of Koenigsberg) <snip>
LOL. Why would the Soviets give another German name to a formerly German city?
Baltiysk:
Quote:
Baltiysk (Russian: Балти́йск), before 1946 known by its German name Pillau (Polish: Piława; Lithuanian: Piliava), is a seaport town and the administrative center of Baltiysky District in Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia
Pillau / Baltiysk is a port and city distinct from Königsberg / Kaliningrad. At least the Pravda would have gotten that right.

But I can assure you, Henri, that the Soviets have stopped sending armaments to Africa. Does that make you sleep better?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:59 AM   #19
ddt
Mafia Penguin

That Crocodile in Zimbabwe has just appointed a Cabinet of Mugabe's henchmen and given them an amnesty if they have deposited their ill gotten gains in overseas bank accounts. They should be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court for that massacre in Matabeleland, which was covered up by BBC Pravda, and not reported by CBS in America.
The massacre in Matabeleland took place in 1983/84, way before the creation of the ICC, and is thus outside its jurisdiction.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 09:59 AM   #20
Parsman
Critical Thinker

First met Salmond back in 1982 when he spoke at a Student Nationalist meeting at Edinburgh University. He was slimy and self serving even then. Since my dad was active in SNP politics in the NE of Scotland over the next 20 years or so I often met him. Still slimy and self serving. Now he has gone to RT. Slimy and self serving. I do believe in Scottish independence but I am sort of glad that if (when) it happens it will be after the Salmond era.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:15 AM   #21
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I presume that it wasn't given airtime because it's nearly 60 years old and presumably is based on an Africa, and indeed world, which has changed beyond all recognition since then.
I just think BBC Pravda and Murdoch and the Civil Service and the public and the House of Commons and Irish Christian brothers and Bob Geldof and CBS in America were half-asleep and ill-informed with regard to the Rhodesia matter. I also think it has ended in disaster. There is practically no commercial farming left in Zimbabwe.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:38 AM   #22
fagin
Illuminator

I just think BBC Pravda and Murdoch and the Civil Service and the public and the House of Commons and Irish Christian brothers and Bob Geldof and CBS in America were half-asleep and ill-informed with regard to the Rhodesia matter. I also think it has ended in disaster. There is practically no commercial farming left in Zimbabwe.
Seriously?

No blame for uncle Bob and his boys?

ps. You forgot to blame Lady Di and Ronald McDonald.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:35 AM   #23
Garrison
Illuminator

All of which has been extensively reported on by the BBC over the years. The British did their best to negotiate a transition to a democratic majority rule in Zimbabwe, not really their fault that Mugabe turned out to be another kleptocrat and little they could do about is a long as post-apartheid South Africa kept treating his as revolutionary hero and propping him up.

Yet again you 'think' something based on zero facts and a few cherry picked paragraphs you Googled.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:25 AM   #24
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
But I can assure you, Henri, that the Soviets have stopped sending armaments to Africa. Does that make you sleep better?
There were reports that the Chinese, if not the North Koreans, were sending armament shipments to support Mugabe about ten years ago, when it looked like he was losing an election there. There were other reports that the Chinese were transporting arms and ammunition from Angola to Zimbabwe. Britain and America were half-asleep then. The British aid budget is up the creek and falling into the wrong hands, and this is partly the fault of BBC Pravda.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:41 AM   #25
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The British aid budget is up the creek and falling into the wrong hands, and this is partly the fault of BBC Pravda.
How ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Tolls
Illuminator

I've taken to reading Henri's history posts in the tone of John Belushi's Bluto.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?"
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:57 AM   #27
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

BBC Pravda only seem to be interested in gay marriage and trans gender toilets. I don't think that's a focus on priorities. There is never any mention of Netanyahu in the mainstream media saying privately that he does not believe in a two state solution for Palestine, while at the same time going along with it publicly. Netanyahu just wants endless war and endless negotiation and Israeli expansion. It's obviously unfair.

This is the sort of thing that happens when rock stars are allowed to call the shots on You Tube and BBC Pravda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OW_As_ZdLs
Old 7th December 2017, 04:05 AM   #28
fagin
Illuminator

BBC Pravda only seem to be interested in gay marriage and trans gender toilets. I don't think that's a focus on priorities. There is never any mention of Netanyahu in the mainstream media saying privately that he does not believe in a two state solution for Palestine, while at the same time going along with it publicly. Netanyahu just wants endless war and endless negotiation and Israeli expansion. It's obviously unfair.

This is the sort of thing that happens when rock stars are allowed to call the shots on You Tube and BBC Pravda:

This loses you any credibility you might think you have, and if you want in depth news, read some serious news magazines. You can even find them on the web.
Although I think your perception/memory may be somewhat selective.
Old 7th December 2017, 04:53 AM   #29
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do you actually watch or listen to the BBC news?

There is an entire channel 24 hours. Half hour and hour long news bulletins on BBC1.
'Newsnight' on BBC2 every night an hour long 'in depth' show.
On the radio There are in depth news shows, World at One, PM and World Tonight giving hours of in depth coverage.
Also the World Service and various other current affairs shows like Panorama and one off programmes on specific events.

I don't think I caught the special on Trans gender toilets though.
Old 7th December 2017, 05:27 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The BBC has extensive coverage of the Middle East in general and Israel in particular. What evidence do you have to support your notion they are only interested in transgender toilets and gay marriage ?

I found no evidence of it in either the BBC TV news headlines, BBC radio news headlines or the BBC website.

What does Youtube have to do with the BBC ?

Which rock stars are calling the shots at the BBC ?
Old 8th December 2017, 05:34 AM   #31
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Do you realise that that is a clip from a comedy program called "Not the Nine O'Clock News"? Neither of those people (Rowan Atkinson and Pamela Stephenson) are actually pop stars or news interviewers and it isn't a real news show. It was actually produced by the BBC though so at least that's right.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:44 AM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It was a popular comedy sketch show 30 years ago
Old 8th December 2017, 06:07 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Do you realise that that is a clip from a comedy program called "Not the Nine O'Clock News"? Neither of those people (Rowan Atkinson and Pamela Stephenson) are actually pop stars or news interviewers and it isn't a real news show. It was actually produced by the BBC though so at least that's right.
At least it actually happened.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics