ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags auras , hallucinations

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM   #241
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Here's another way of looking at it rather than focusing on the 'burden of proof' for it's own sake. Let's assume that the idea isn't to prove (disproving being logically impossible in most cases) as an end in itself, it's to establish where we spend our time and money researching the phenomena.

Scenario 1. We assume paranormal powers aren't possible and challenge those who claim they can do things believed impossible to prove it under controlled conditions that seek to preclude cheating or use of mundane cues, consciously or subconciously.

Result: No one has yet passed this challenge so no previously established assumptions are overturned, however, if someone does pass we will have a subject of study, and an individual who can perform the feat under controlled conditions and possibly teach other people to do it. All systems go!

Situation 2. We assume supernatural powers do exist and anyone who claims they have them do have them.

Result. Lots of wasted time and money researching disparate claims by people who believe that they have powers only to find that there are natural explanations for what they do. But what the hell, there must be powers out there right? Even more time researching deliberate frauds.

Scientist 1. We've spent months studying Uri Gellar, shame it turned out to be fake in the end...
Scientist 2. never mind we've got a Sylvia Brown who makes interesting claims to investigate next!
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #242
Wonder234
Thinker

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Suppose I say that there is a 10-million dollar treasure buried 30 feet deep in middle of the field at the end of Maple Road, and I want you to go dig it up.

Don't you think that you would want some assurance that it is really there before you go get a shovel and start digging? So you ask me how I know it's there.

I say, "Because I have this wonderful map that I bought for $3.00 from someone on the Internet!"

And you say, "Come on, xterra, you can't possibly believe someone would sell you a map to a 10-million dollar treasure for $3.00!"

And I say, "But, Wonder234, prove to me that it's not there."

Are you gonna grab the shovel, roll up your sleeves and start digging?

Or are you gonna say, "Sorry, pal, you're gonna have to dig it up yourself, or provide me with proof that it's really there"?
Yes, when you put it that way, I would rather have you prove that there is actually a treasure there before I started digging. Mainly because I think I shouldn't put in work for something I'm not sure about. Imagined like that, I see the problem with me shifting the burden of proof.
Wonder234 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal