IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , telescopes

Old 21st December 2020, 11:35 PM   #121
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
If you have an iPhone, SkyView is a nice app that shows you where things are, overlaying constellations and symbols on the sky as you swing your phone around.
No iPhone, I have seen that app on the commercial, it does look pretty cool.

I managed to see the planets tonight, even if it was on the highway driving home. Too cloudy when we got back.

Oh well, this was fun anyways, I hope we can all get together next time and do it again.
Nakani is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:39 PM   #122
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I got Star Walk 2 in anticipation of this event.

It's a little clearer tonight - I'll see how I go.
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:06 AM   #123
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Broke out the scope and had a nice view of Jupiter and Saturn hanging out together at 80x.

Winter in the desert is good for stuff like that.
Nice!

I consider myself lucky to have seen it already - three days of solid cloud ever since.

Unlike your desert, I live in a place where the indigenous name was "Place where it's always ******* cloudy!"
Old 22nd December 2020, 06:26 PM   #124
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

That's a... loose translation ;D
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:37 PM   #125
Fidelio
Muse

The 11x80s provided a wonderful view. The kiddos next door apparently had no idea such things were possible. They weren't around for comets Hale-Bopp or Hayutaki (sp) but boyos curiosity supercedes even the most determined idiot parent flat-earth ********.
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:42 AM   #126
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
The 11x80s provided a wonderful view.
Excellent!

I'd been hoping to have another viewing, but we're on four solid days of cloud.

Not a drop of rain, just cloud.
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:44 AM   #127
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I belatedly remembered to look last night. Went up on the deck and found the telescope had blown over in the wind; haven't been brave enough to look at it yet. Anyway, no planets so I checked Google Sky Map on my phone and discovered they'd set. Damn.
Old 27th December 2020, 06:23 AM   #128
steenkh
Philosopher

I expected this thread would be full of triumphant photos from those advantageous enough to experience the conjunction under clear skies. But where are those pictures?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 10:29 AM   #129
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If I had a camera I could use on my telescope I'd have some beautiful shots from 17 December!

Here's what they would have looked like - the first here is about exactly how we saw it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...os/4022128001/
Old 27th December 2020, 11:56 AM   #130
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I expected this thread would be full of triumphant photos from those advantageous enough to experience the conjunction under clear skies. But where are those pictures?
Dec 15 - cloudy night
Dec 16 - cloudy night
Dec 17 - cloudy night
Dec 18 - cloudy night
Dec 19 - cloudy night
Dec 20 - raining
Dec 21 - raining
Dec 22 - cloudy night
Dec 23 - cloudy night
Dec 24 - cloudy night
Dec 25 - clear all day, cloud rolled in about 5pm
Dec 26 - clear all day - thunderstorm began around 4pm - then rain

Bloody frustrating!!!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th December 2020 at 11:58 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 12:36 PM   #131
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
If I had a camera I could use on my telescope I'd have some beautiful shots from 17 December!

Here's what they would have looked like - the first here is about exactly how we saw it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...os/4022128001/
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Dec 15 - cloudy night
Dec 16 - cloudy night
Dec 17 - cloudy night
Dec 18 - cloudy night
Dec 19 - cloudy night
Dec 20 - raining
Dec 21 - raining
Dec 22 - cloudy night
Dec 23 - cloudy night
Dec 24 - cloudy night
Dec 25 - clear all day, cloud rolled in about 5pm
Dec 26 - clear all day - thunderstorm began around 4pm - then rain

Bloody frustrating!!!
Much the same here, except for one night -- might have been the 23rd. It wasn't until the next day I remembered I DO, in fact, have the ability to mount a camera to my telescope.
Old 28th December 2020, 01:40 AM   #132
steenkh
Philosopher

I think of myself as a strictly visual observer, but I have found that some “trophy photos” are useful to explain to others what I can see.

I have taken a lot of photos by holding my iPhone at the eyepiece, and getting an adapter has really made the process easy. The pictures of the Moon have been very successful, but in general I must say that the pictures are invariably worse than what I see with the naked eye.

I then started labeling my Moon pictures, and realized that I could find features like chains and rilles that I had not noticed when I saw them live, so I could use the pictures to familiarize myself with the Moon, and refund those features.

That caused a warming up to the idea of buying a real astro-camera, which I did in time for the conjunction that was drowned in clouds here in Denmark. I have only used the camera once since I bought it, but it really does not improve on the iPhone pictures. It is easier to use, but because I have to watch the proceedings on a computer, I also need to set up a table and cables etc. so I am probably not going to use it very much.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 01:47 PM   #133
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I debugged my telescope yesterday. I went out to use it to look at a passing submarine and there was a blotch that hadn't been there before. With a little careful disassembly I was able to remove a moth from inside!
Old 29th December 2020, 03:01 PM   #134
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Haha! Telescopes are highly prone to foreign body attacks.

It takes me 10 minutes to get mine out of or into the dust protection.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology