IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 25th April 2020, 02:50 PM   #1761
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I mean, if the Democrats are going to go ahead at this point and be moral relativists about past sexual misconduct....

Can't we just draft Al Franken and run him? It isn't too late, and I think highly likely he's the guy that wins if we run this back under that standard. He's a way better candidate.
I’m not being a moral relativist. I just made a snarky comment.

Personally, I think this should be thoroughly investigated and properly adjudicated. Let the chips fall where the may.

But come November, if I have to choose between two guys accused of sexual assault, I’ll probably pick the one who isn’t also responsible for thousands of deaths due to profound incompetence.

Last edited by johnny karate; 25th April 2020 at 02:53 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 02:51 PM   #1762
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Meet the new boss same as the old boss
Give or take thousands of dead people.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 02:51 PM   #1763
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Meet the new boss same as the old boss
Is that what you tell yourself or are you looking for a reaction?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 03:09 PM   #1764
applecorped
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,145
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 03:21 PM   #1765
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 20,058
I wonder if applecorped can do 54,121 eyerolls?
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 03:30 PM   #1766
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Second, hind sight is 20/20. Nobody would have picked the optimal course of action, because nobody knew the optimal course of action ahead of time.
Obama failing to prevent four Americans deaths is ”a massive failure”.

But Trump asleep at the wheel as a pandemic that will kill tens of thousands of Americans ramps up?

Hey, what’re you gonna do? Nobody’s perfect!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 03:33 PM   #1767
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe Benghazi is a better analogy.

If Hillary Clinton (WNBP) were president right now -
- She'd have ignored the warning signs;
- She'd have failed to do basic prep;
- When people started dying, she'd immediately blame it on an obscure YouTube video;
- Then she'd say that by the time it really started going bad, it was too late to mobilize decisively against it;
- And when challenged to justify her policy later: "at this point, what difference does it make?"

For sure she wouldn't have bothered to restock the PPE reserve depleted during Obama's administration.

And in the end, the death toll would still only be around 40k.
I like how in whatever Clinton-bashing nonsense this is supposed to be, you still have Trump responsible for at least 10,000 deaths.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 04:07 PM   #1768
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,302
Regarding Biden's alleged sexual assault...

The Larry King Live call is convincing evidence that the accuser told her mother that something had occurred.

Biden's secretary(?), a Ms. Baker(?), claimed that there were no reports of such behavior. We could check Biden's papers, which are held at the University of Delaware, but they are not to be opened until two years after his exit from political life. Given the circumstances, a law firm should be hired to go through the records.

This should happen right away, and if anything is found, then Biden should be asked to step down.

Obviously it's possible that this woman lied nearly thirty years ago to family members. It's also possible Biden assaulted her, she reported it, and the records were immediately destroyed.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 04:08 PM   #1769
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,497
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Regarding Biden's alleged sexual assault...

The Larry King Live call is convincing evidence that the accuser told her mother that something had occurred.

Biden's secretary(?), a Ms. Baker(?), claimed that there were no reports of such behavior. We could check Biden's papers, which are held at the University of Delaware, but they are not to be opened until two years after his exit from political life. Given the circumstances, a law firm should be hired to go through the records.

This should happen right away, and if anything is found, then Biden should be asked to step down.

Obviously it's possible that this woman lied nearly thirty years ago to family members. It's also possible Biden assaulted her, she reported it, and the records were immediately destroyed.
Why check the records? Does she claim to have reported it?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 04:18 PM   #1770
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,584
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Why check the records? Does she claim to have reported it?
Why not check the records?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 05:00 PM   #1771
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Regarding Biden's alleged sexual assault...

The Larry King Live call is convincing evidence that the accuser told her mother that something had occurred.

Biden's secretary(?), a Ms. Baker(?), claimed that there were no reports of such behavior. We could check Biden's papers, which are held at the University of Delaware, but they are not to be opened until two years after his exit from political life. Given the circumstances, a law firm should be hired to go through the records.

This should happen right away, and if anything is found, then Biden should be asked to step down.

Obviously it's possible that this woman lied nearly thirty years ago to family members. It's also possible Biden assaulted her, she reported it, and the records were immediately destroyed.
Oh ha ha ha, you are so funny.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 05:38 PM   #1772
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,717
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why not check the records?
I think they should investigate Biden as hard as they investigated Kavanaugh.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:13 PM   #1773
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,628
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Obama failing to prevent four Americans deaths is ”a massive failure”.
Yes. Like I just said, not all deaths are equal. And some precautions are obvious ahead of time.

Quote:
But Trump asleep at the wheel as a pandemic that will kill tens of thousands of Americans ramps up?

Hey, what’re you gonna do? Nobody’s perfect!
Nice straw man. First, you haven't actually established that Trump was asleep at the wheel. Second, you haven't detailed what he should have done, given the information available at the time. Third, you haven't indicated that anyone else (let alone Biden - remember him?) would have done whatever you think the optimal course would have been. Lastly, you haven't given any indication of how much of a difference any of that would have made.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:14 PM   #1774
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,628
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Why check the records? Does she claim to have reported it?
IIRC she claims to have reported prior problems.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:27 PM   #1775
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
...
Nice straw man. First, you haven't actually established that Trump was asleep at the wheel.
Bull ****** There are half a dozen videos of him in his fantasyland telling us the US won't be affected. His pitiful little racist travel ban was magical, there's only a few cases. It will go away in the summer.

You seriously don't want to accept the reality here.

The rest of your bull **** is the same. What we should have done, what we could have done.

This tactic needs to be exposed for what it is. No matter how much truth is shoveled out, ignore it and ask people again to prove whatever.

THIS IS A TACTIC, not a debate reply.

And you use it again and again.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:34 PM   #1776
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,302
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh ha ha ha, you are so funny.
I should add another obvious possibility: Even though the attack never occurred, the accuser filed a formal complaint with Biden's office. As an act of good faith, Biden should allow for an independent investigation. You hire the same type of people who went through Michael Cohen's documents to see which would fall under attorney-client privilege.

If nothing is found, Republicans will predictably say that it's a cover-up (like with the additional Clinton e-mails 11 days before the election). It's better to deal with this now than later.

The evidence against Biden is at least as convincing as the evidence against Kavanaugh. Since Biden has not been elected yet (or even formally nominated), there's not as much to lose. An alternative is to sweep this away because the stakes are too high. That's what Republicans did with Trump. That's what they did with Kavanaugh. It's worked. I guess Democrats could try to be more like Republicans. They've been doing it for years.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:43 PM   #1777
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,307
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Presuming you’re talking about Biden, how has he been disqualified from high office?

If we are going to play the “let’s see how the other side reacted when accusations were made” game, I think Biden is already disqualified according to the recent Dem playbook. He is eminently qualified according to the Repub playbook.

IOW:

If Trump is OK for Repubs, Biden isn’t even a blip on the radar; there’s barely anything there. Shouldn’t concern them at all.

But if Franken and Kavanaugh are judged so harshly by the Dems, then so should Biden be. So should be Biden. Biden also should be. Whatever.

Point being: I think we just judge each thing on its own, independent of our politics, if possible.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:50 PM   #1778
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,628
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bull ****** There are half a dozen videos of him in his fantasyland telling us the US won't be affected. His pitiful little racist travel ban was magical, there's only a few cases. It will go away in the summer.
Is your only complaint that he didn't say the right things?

And his "little racist travel ban" was the right call.

Quote:
The rest of your bull **** is the same. What we should have done, what we could have done.

This tactic needs to be exposed for what it is. No matter how much truth is shoveled out, ignore it and ask people again to prove whatever.
This is a pathetic attempt to deflect from the fact that you can't actually answer the question. You have no idea what we should have done, do you? Even before we reach the point of trying to prove what the optimal (or even better) course of action would have been, you can't even describe it.

Quote:
THIS IS A TACTIC, not a debate reply.
Look in the mirror.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:53 PM   #1779
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 20,058
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes. Like I just said, not all deaths are equal. And some precautions are obvious ahead of time.



Nice straw man. First, you haven't actually established that Trump was asleep at the wheel. Second, you haven't detailed what he should have done, given the information available at the time. Third, you haven't indicated that anyone else (let alone Biden - remember him?) would have done whatever you think the optimal course would have been. Lastly, you haven't given any indication of how much of a difference any of that would have made.
Trump was asleep at the wheel.

https://thebulwark.com/warnings-igno...d-19-response/
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 06:55 PM   #1780
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes. Like I just said, not all deaths are equal. And some precautions are obvious ahead of time.
Is it your contention that there are no precautions the Trump administration could have taken to prepare for this pandemic?

Quote:
Nice straw man. First, you haven't actually established that Trump was asleep at the wheel. Second, you haven't detailed what he should have done, given the information available at the time. Third, you haven't indicated that anyone else (let alone Biden - remember him?) would have done whatever you think the optimal course would have been. Lastly, you haven't given any indication of how much of a difference any of that would have made.
Are you not aware of all the documented failures of the Trump administration in their preparedness and response?

Because your lack of interest would be strange considering how invested you were in Benghazi.

I read through some of your posts on the subject. You’re very knowledgeable about the details.

And that was just four deaths. Which you called a “massive failure”.

Now we have over 50,000 deaths in the biggest health crisis in a century, with mounting evidence of the gross incompetence of the Trump administration making it worse, and don’t seem at all curious about that.

Why is that?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:04 PM   #1781
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,497
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Is your only complaint that he didn't say the right things?

And his "little racist travel ban" was the right call.



This is a pathetic attempt to deflect from the fact that you can't actually answer the question. You have no idea what we should have done, do you? Even before we reach the point of trying to prove what the optimal (or even better) course of action would have been, you can't even describe it.



Look in the mirror.
On January 31, he implemented travel restrictions. Good call, if you ask me.

But why did he do that? Let's think about this. He did it because he knew that this could result in a deadly pandemic. If it got into the US and started reproducing this would be bad. Very, very, bad. And he obviously knew that on January 31. That's obvious, because he reacted to it on January 31.

So, if I were President, and I knew there was a possibility of a deadly pandemic, which Trump obviously knew by January 31, here are some things I would do.

1. Build as many tests as I possibly could. Call the CDC. Find out how many test would be available. Check to see if that's enough. Immediately start making more if not enough. By "start making more", I mean find out who needs to get contracts. Who can do it. What regulations need to be cut to get them out faster because this was not an ordinary situation.


2. Find out if the medical community is prepared. If they say they need PPE, start building PPE. (Same procedures as above.)

3. Find out if ordinary citizens should be wearing masks, like they did in South Korea. Start building masks. (Same procedures as above, except enlist individuals and small businesses. Spread the word to the masses to get involved.)

4. This will cost money. Call Congress today.

The passing of the travel restrictions proved he was aware of the pending problem. He knew, or should have known, that the travel restrictions were, at best, something that bought time. The virus could not be kept out of the United States, but it might be delayed a bit. He knew that it was a threat on January 31, because he did something about it on January 31. He knew, or should have known, that a lot more steps would be necessary if there was any hope of containment.

What did he do on February 1?


In fact, when was the next time he did anything of significance?

Unless you can find answers to those questions, you already have your answer to what proof there was that he was asleep at the wheel.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:06 PM   #1782
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
If we are going to play the “let’s see how the other side reacted when accusations were made” game, I think Biden is already disqualified according to the recent Dem playbook. He is eminently qualified according to the Repub playbook.
I don’t recall anyone arguing that Trump was unqualified simply because he’d been accused of sexual assault and for no other reason.

Do you have a cite to this “playbook” to which you’re referring?

Quote:
IOW:

If Trump is OK for Repubs, Biden isn’t even a blip on the radar; there’s barely anything there. Shouldn’t concern them at all.

But if Franken and Kavanaugh are judged so harshly by the Dems, then so should Biden be. So should be Biden. Biden also should be. Whatever.

Point being: I think we just judge each thing on its own, independent of our politics, if possible.
Sure, okay.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:21 PM   #1783
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 20,058
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
On January 31, he implemented travel restrictions. Good call, if you ask me.
His travel ban was nowhere near total. Planes were coming straight from China well into March.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:35 PM   #1784
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I should add another obvious possibility: Even though the attack never occurred, the accuser filed a formal complaint with Biden's office. As an act of good faith, Biden should allow for an independent investigation. You hire the same type of people who went through Michael Cohen's documents to see which would fall under attorney-client privilege.

If nothing is found, Republicans will predictably say that it's a cover-up (like with the additional Clinton e-mails 11 days before the election). It's better to deal with this now than later.

The evidence against Biden is at least as convincing as the evidence against Kavanaugh. Since Biden has not been elected yet (or even formally nominated), there's not as much to lose. An alternative is to sweep this away because the stakes are too high. That's what Republicans did with Trump. That's what they did with Kavanaugh. It's worked. I guess Democrats could try to be more like Republicans. They've been doing it for years.
Where did you get that highlighted idea?

Multiple people reported the 'drunk dick in the face'. The whole calendar nonsense as a fake alibi. And the insulting crap in a college year book that could have been from a middle school year book. etc etc.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th April 2020 at 08:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:38 PM   #1785
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Is your only complaint that he didn't say the right things?

And his "little racist travel ban" was the right call.

This is a pathetic attempt to deflect from the fact that you can't actually answer the question. You have no idea what we should have done, do you? Even before we reach the point of trying to prove what the optimal (or even better) course of action would have been, you can't even describe it.

Look in the mirror.
You're just repeating the same schtick. Nothing new in these denials and pivoting to "he didn't say the right words" as if that were the measure.

Not going down your rabbit hole. It's a wasted exercise.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:39 PM   #1786
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Clearly Zig has seen the evidence multiple times.

IT'S A TACTIC TO KEEP PRETENDING HE HASN'T SEEN IT.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:47 PM   #1787
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 20,058
Deleted
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 07:57 PM   #1788
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,366
Trump hasn't been asleep at the wheel. Biden would be asleep at the wheel. Trump has deliberately veered off the road and into the mud and then continued pushing into deeper & deeper mud to try to reach the lake, all while claiming there's no mud and no lake.

Last edited by Delvo; 25th April 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:02 PM   #1789
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
On January 31, he implemented travel restrictions. Good call, if you ask me.

But why did he do that? Let's think about this. He did it because he knew that this could result in a deadly pandemic. If it got into the US and started reproducing this would be bad. Very, very, bad. And he obviously knew that on January 31. That's obvious, because he reacted to it on January 31. ...
Acknowledging the rest of your thoughtful and valid post, let's look at this action that I called his "little racist travel ban".

This is important because the Trump campaign [on topic hopefully] is already touting this as an important action that prevented deaths. It was not and did not.

He only stopped Chinese nationals traveling from China.


AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s inaccurate boasts on China travel ban

First fact, he didn't institute the ban against opposition.
Quote:
Alex Azar... said, "Trump made the decision in late January after accepting the “uniform recommendation of the career public health officials here at HHS
The WHO was and is against travel bans as mostly ineffective.
Quote:
Most major airlines had already suspended flights to China prior to the announcement on Jan. 31, following the lead of several major international carriers that had stopped due to the coronavirus outbreak. Delta, American and United cited a sharp drop in demand for the flights, and an earlier State Department advisory told Americans not to travel to China because of the outbreak.
So did it actually stop the virus in any significant way?
Quote:
There were plenty of gaps in containment.

Trump’s order did not fully “close” the U.S. off to China, as he asserts. It temporarily barred entry by foreign nationals who had traveled in China within the previous 14 days, with exceptions for the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Americans returning from China were allowed back after enhanced screening at select ports of entry and for 14 days afterward. But U.S. scientists say screenings can miss people who don’t yet show symptoms of COVID-19; while symptoms often appear within five or six days of exposure, the incubation period is 14 days.
Useless because of this which Trump made no effort to address:
Quote:
... the likelihood that a large number of people exposed to the virus had already been traveling internationally without being detected.
Then there was this:
Quote:
For weeks after the first U.S. case of the coronavirus was confirmed in January, government missteps caused a shortage of reliable laboratory tests for the coronavirus, leading to delays in diagnoses.
Trump's "bold step" was nothing more than window dressing.

Again, this matters because the Trump campaign is using that ban to cover up and distract from his very significant failures.

Factcheck: The Facts on Trump’s Travel Restrictions
Quote:
A study in the journal Science found the various travel limitations across the globe initially helped to slow the spread, but the number of cases worldwide rose anyway because the virus had already begun traveling undetected internationally.
Not a ban, not made against opposition.
Quote:
“We don’t have a travel ban,” Klain said. “We have a travel Band-Aid right now. First, before it was imposed, 300,000 people came here from China in the previous month. So, the horse is out of the barn.”

“There’s no restriction on Americans going back and forth,” Klain said. “There are warnings. People should abide by those warnings. But today, 30 planes will land in Los Angeles that either originated in Beijing or came here on one-stops, 30 in San Francisco, 25 in New York City. Okay? So, unless we think that the color of the passport someone carries is a meaningful public health restriction, we have not placed a meaningful public health restriction.”

Indeed, on Jan. 24, a week before the travel restrictions, the CDC confirmed two cases of the novel coronavirus in the U.S. from people who had returned from Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began.
And cases were already here by then which Trump ignored.

And yes, the ban was racist and along with the following ban on travel from Iran which clearly pandered to his base.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th April 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:05 PM   #1790
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,652
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This is a pathetic attempt to deflect from the fact that you can't actually answer the question. You have no idea what we should have done, do you? Even before we reach the point of trying to prove what the optimal (or even better) course of action would have been, you can't even describe it.
Seriously, how can you not know any of this?

Do you just not care?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:10 PM   #1791
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,717
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Seriously, how can you not know any of this?

Do you just not care?
Sophistry doesn't allow him to acknowledge any of that.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:18 PM   #1792
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,797
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Trump hasn't been asleep at the wheel. Biden would be asleep at the wheel. Trump has deliberately veered off the road and into the mud and then continued pushing into deeper & deeper mud to try to reach the lake, all while claiming there's no mud and no lake.
Pete Seeger, Waist Deep in the Big Muddy
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 11:16 PM   #1793
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,330
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think they should investigate Biden as hard as they investigated Kavanaugh.
Even investigate him harder...

Investigate him for 2 weeks (twice as long as the FBI was given) and ask five irrelevant witnesses (more than they interviewed wet Kavanaugh).



Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 11:46 PM   #1794
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,628
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Seriously, how can you not know any of this?

Do you just not care?
When people won’t answer questions but simply insist that I should already know why they are right, it’s generally a tell that they aren’t.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 11:47 PM   #1795
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,628
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You're just repeating the same schtick. Nothing new in these denials and pivoting to "he didn't say the right words" as if that were the measure.
It’s the only measure you gave.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 11:49 PM   #1796
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,302
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Where did you get that highlighted idea?

Multiple people reported the 'drunk dick in the face'. The whole calendar nonsense as a fake alibi. And the insulting crap in a college year book that could have been from a middle school year book. etc etc.
Wasn't he pushed? Admittedly, I remember the incident about as well as the alleged victim. But I'll revise: The evidence against Biden from this accuser is better than Dr. Ford's against Kavanaugh.

Apart from the sexual allegations, Kavaungh should not have been confirmed for reasons owing to his ill-tempered behavior at the hearings (plus he probably lied about drinking games).
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2020, 12:16 AM   #1797
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,330
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The Larry King phone call means that it isn't likely to fall apart. At the very least, it means she told the story when it happened, even if she didn't come forward. So, we're stuck with a believable story for which there is insufficient evidence.
I don't think its as compelling as some people are thinking.

Yes, it establishes that Reade was working for Biden, and gives an approximate time-line for the incident. But I don't remember anyone complaining that Reade couldn't be trusted because she did couldn't remember dates.

And yes, it establishes that Reade talked to other people at the time about the incident. But its not that surprising that she did.

What it does NOT establish is what exactly she told her mother at the time....whether she told her mother "I was assaulted/forcefully penetrated", or whether she told her "That creepy guy tried to touch my shoulders". The mother just doesn't go into details.

So there are several possibilities:

- She told her mother "I was raped" but the mother didn't go into details in the phone call to King

- She was assaulted, but only told her mother part of the story

- She was not actually assaulted, although Biden likely did his creepy inappropriate touching/shoulder rub thing (i.e. enough to say "I was harassed) and it was only later that Reade came up with the assault story.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2020, 01:16 AM   #1798
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,330
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Quote:
Where did you get that highlighted idea?

Multiple people reported the 'drunk dick in the face'. The whole calendar nonsense as a fake alibi. And the insulting crap in a college year book that could have been from a middle school year book. etc etc.
Wasn't he pushed?
Pushed? By who and When? Over what?

Pushed at the time of the incidents? Well, if that's the case and he's covering up for things now, then he's a liar.

Pushed during the hearings? Well, the purpose of the hearings was to establish facts. They are supposed to push when the facts are not forthcoming.
Quote:
Admittedly, I remember the incident about as well as the alleged victim. But I'll revise: The evidence against Biden from this accuser is better than Dr. Ford's against Kavanaugh.
Errr... not really.

First of all, in the Reade/Biden case, you have the issue where the "story" that was told has shifted significantly over time, going from inappropriate touching to penetration. And while she claims she "told people the true story" at the time, those people have not really been vetted. One person is anonymous, one (her brother) himself has changed his story, and her mother has died. .

In the Ford/Kavanaugh case, the central details of her story have not significantly changed.... She never deviated from "I was at a party, Kavanaugh and others tried to assault me, I left". (Some Trump supporters have tried to nitpick, for example by pointing to her therapist notes who said "4 people were involved" instead of 2, but that was likely a reference to the number of people at the party.)

Secondly, you have the nature off the defendant. During his hearings, Kavanaugh have said things that were pretty obviously a lie... his definition of a "devil's triangle" (which was contradicted by his peers at the time) as an example.

While I certainly don't think Biden is perfect, nothing that he has said seems to rise to the level of deceipt that Kavanaugh's statement did.

Thirdly, there are some aspects of Reade herself that might make people question her credibility... that she was a Sanders supporter, her little love letter to Putin (followed by her attempts to cover it up), that she made pro-Biden statements after the assault (It is not totally unheard of for a victim to maintain that type of attitude, but to many people it seems strange... "I was assaulted... but I'll say positive things about my attacker... now I'm telling most people that I wasn't actually assaulted...but now I'm going to support his opponent and I will say more things about the assault").

Compared to that? Ford has lead a pretty straight-forward, unremarkable life. She appears to be fairly apolitical, without any of the controversies or weird missteps that have plagued Reade.

Then there is the calendar... Kavanaugh supposedly brought it up as some sort of defense, but ironically it actually provides evidence against him... he claimed that he recalled no party as described by Ford, but the calendar itself has an entry that describes the exact type of party that the attempted assault happened at. Far from being an alibi, it actually seems to bolster the accusations against him.

A couple of other details: Ford has taken a lie detector. (Admittedly they are imperfect, and is not legally admissible in courts, but she was still willing to risk her credibility in taking one.) And during the hearings, Kavanaugh was asked if he would support a full investigation into the allegations, a question he evaded and did not answer.

So, to summarize:

In Ford/Kavanaugh: a claimant with a relatively stable story made allegations against someone who during his defense, perjured himself, and then brought evidence that actually provided evidence to support the claimant.

In Reade/Biden: A claimant with a questionable history made allegations that appear to have shifted radically over time, against someone who is admittedly flawed but who has no other similar allegations against him.

So which of those 2 cases sounds more solid?

That does not necessarily mean that Reade is lying about the assault. Just that her allegations should be viewed with a little more skepticism than those made by Ford.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2020, 01:44 AM   #1799
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,330
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Quote:
I'm always amazed.

Somehow, a politician who wants to provide free college, expand access to health care, and increase taxes on corporations and the wealthy is "right wing".

You really have to wonder what you think the "political spectrum" really looks like.
I can understand the confusion here. Biden sounds pretty progressive, when you dig into certain topics or look up certain policies on his campaign page.
Nope, no confusion here... just an ability to actually look at what is happening in the political landscape.
Quote:
It's not that he isn't saying the right things, it's that there is no credibility that he plans to follow through on any of these things.

Progressives got burned by Obama, there's no two ways about it. His 2008 campaign hit all the progressive talking points square on the head. His landmark election lead to 8 years of disappointment. Not all of that is Obama's fault, but plenty of it was.
You DO realize that Obama had to contend with a republican party that dominated congress for 6 years of his tenure. (And not only were they republicans, they were republicans that adopted the mandate of "We will oppose everything Obama does".) Not really sure what you think ANY politician could have done, given those circumstances.

Well, I'm sure you think that Saint Bernie could have used his magic powers to somehow make Congress bend to his will. But for the rest of us, we recognize that deadlock was inevitable.

Quote:
Progressive promises on his campaign page come into screeching dissonance when we see Biden out there acting like a Neo-Con warhawk in regards to China.
Really? Is he talking about starting a war against China? That's news to me.

China was deceptive over some of their actions with regards to Covid-19. I don't think it should be that controversial to think maybe they should be held to account for that.

Of course the ad that you are likely referring to spend the bulk of its time pointing out Trump's faults. The fact that you are fixated on the china stuff shows that you sort of missed the point of it.
Quote:
Biden's instincts and intuition are conservative. When the going gets rough, he retreats to the right, not the left.
Thank you for more evidence that BernieBros just don't understand the whole Political spectrum thing.

By the way, you do realize that Progressives do not make up the majority of the electorate, right? I don't even think they make up the majority of the Democratic party. Whomever becomes president represents all Americans, including people who might not be part of their base (even people who might ot have even voted for them). Now, the republicans have basically abandoned pretext of compromise/bipartisanship, but have still maintained power, but they have done so largely by cheating and luck (gerrymandering, voter suppression, favorable electoral college). If the democrats take a similar extreme position, but fail to adopt the same dirty tactics, they may find themselves frozen out of power.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2020, 02:12 AM   #1800
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,330
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Quote:
People can and do change their positions on political issues.

Yeah, I know you might find that a bit shocking.

Sometimes its due to changes in society. Sometimes its the political landscape. Sometimes its due to personal events. Sometimes its due to a need to compromise. Yet for some reason you only seem to condemn Biden for that.
I've never had a problem with people changing their minds or said that I did.
I have sometimes not believed that they had actually changed their minds when they claimed to have positions different from what they'd had before...
That is probably because you are reflexively anti-Biden and tend to reject evidence you do not like, not because there are logical reasons to, but because they interfere with your "Saint Sanders" mentality.
Quote:
especially during campaign promise season
Except of course many of his policies did not just come about 'during campaign promise season". He was part of establishing Obamacare a decade ago. His proposal of free college likewise stems back to his time in the Obama administration.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
What Biden said is he wants to expand health care coverage.

What he said he would veto was a BernieCare Medicare-for-All program.
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
considering that of all the health care options, BernieCare (single payer/no private options) is the least popular
Even if the latter were true
Hint: it is.

, it would not be relevant to the topic at hand. For the former...

The veto comment was about the specific scenario in which the latter had already made it to the point of sign-or-veto. Vetoing it in that circumstance is, in fact, vetoing the health care expansion option that's immediately right in front of your face. Other hypothetical alternative methods of doing it have no relevance to that scenario because the aren't the ones waiting to be signed or vetoed.[/quote]
You are of course making the rather foolish assumption that congress would attempt to pass any sort of health care law without paying attention to what the president would actually accept and what he would veto.

In reality, either the president would be involved in helping to craft legislation, or at the very least the congress-critters would be smart enough to think ahead and decide "President biden will veto BernieCare... maybe we had better do something to make it more acceptable before we pass it.".

Quote:
Furthermore, any plan that preserves & protects the insurance middlemen is ultimately working against real universal coverage anyway, at least in this country. I'm not sure how it's been in other countries that still somehow have insurance companies plus government guaranteed systems
Actually the whole public+private health care system works pretty darn great... better than it works in Canada (the one country that has actually implemented BernieCare, and has wound up with a system that is worse than pretty much every other western health care system that allows private insurance.) But hey, I'm sure Sanders has some sort of magic power that will somehow make things different.
Quote:
or what might make insurance companies behave differently from this
Give a good public option, and private companies will be forced to offer decent service at decent prices. Otherwise they lose customers.

And any company that has a reputation for kicking people off for making claims, they probably will find themselves out of business.

Oh and by the way... keep in mind that people who get their health insurance through work won't necessarily be "kicked off", since I doubt that insurance companies are powerful enough to tell employeers "you must fire this guy... he's costing too much".

ETA: One more thing... It is a common trope to assume insurance companies are some sort of greedy mega-corporations eager to screw the little guy. But the fact is, health insurance companies have profit margins in the 4-5% range. It isn't bad, but there are other sectors of the economy that are much more profitable.

The fact is, there will always be limits to what can be offered in terms of health care, so there will always be a need for some sort of 'gatekeeper' to decide what is normally covered, and when something falls under the 'allowed' category. Even in a public system they will have to decide "We will fund this many hospital beds/MRI machines/etc., and we will pay for this treatment but not that". And those decisions to affect patient care.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 26th April 2020 at 02:25 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.