IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 02:59 PM   #3481
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,971
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Biden most likely did come on to her.
.....
There is no evidence to support any claim that he did anything to her. But if you don't understand the difference between "coming on" and a forcible sexual assault, I hope there are no women in your life.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 03:15 PM   #3482
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Biden most likely did come on to her. ...
There is not one shred of evidence for this Reade apology!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 04:30 PM   #3483
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
I'm going to go out on a limb here: now that the combined efforts of the bitter BernieBros and the **** stirring Trump supporters to prop up the Reade accusations have catastrophically failed, we aren't going to hear a peep about her any more. Instead, the fringe reset will go back to dementia. Does anyone disagree?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 05:07 PM   #3484
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here: now that the combined efforts of the bitter BernieBros and the **** stirring Trump supporters to prop up the Reade accusations have catastrophically failed, we aren't going to hear a peep about her any more. Instead, the fringe reset will go back to dementia. Does anyone disagree?
I don't know. I don't think they are done with pretending the evidence presented discrediting the accusation doesn't exist. Couple pages from now the Vox and PBS pieces will seem like they never existed.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 05:37 PM   #3485
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here: now that the combined efforts of the bitter BernieBros and the **** stirring Trump supporters to prop up the Reade accusations have catastrophically failed, we aren't going to hear a peep about her any more. Instead, the fringe reset will go back to dementia. Does anyone disagree?
Amen, brother. You are doing the Lord’s work.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 06:19 PM   #3486
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't know. I don't think they are done with pretending the evidence presented discrediting the accusation doesn't exist. Couple pages from now the Vox and PBS pieces will seem like they never existed.
Agreed. But don't put the 'dementia' bit to bed yet. Next time Biden makes a gaffe, they'll trot it out.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 08:02 PM   #3487
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. But don't put the 'dementia' bit to bed yet. Next time Biden makes a gaffe, they'll trot it out.
I think on that front, Biden and Trump are tied. Except Trump is so ill, instead of admitting he spoke or posted a gaffe, he denies it. That's a whole other level of dementia.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 08:27 PM   #3488
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think on that front, Biden and Trump are tied. Except Trump is so ill, instead of admitting he spoke or posted a gaffe, he denies it. That's a whole other level of dementia.
Please don't tell me that you think Biden has dementia.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:07 PM   #3489
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why on earth is it "likely" he did come onto her? None of his many staffers who worked with him said he EVER treated women with anything but respect. He was never included in the female staffers' "list of senators to avoid getting on an elevator alone with." In fact, they said he had the reputation of treating women as equals to men. Your speculation is not based on any evidence whatsoever.
Right, back then Biden was an angel. No one felt uncomfortable around him. Reade's allegations have no evidence and we can take the info from the PBS piece and conclude that perhaps Reade is confused or confabulating or something.

Now . . . within the last 15 years or so, we do have the hair sniffing thing and making women and girls feel uncomfortable.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:23 PM   #3490
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Please don't tell me that you think Biden has dementia.
Sorry, just using the terminology of the discussion.

Dementia has a specific diagnosis. Generally before that stage one has mild cognitive impairment. I doubt either of them are at that stage. A couple gaffes is hardly diagnostic for MCI.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:27 PM   #3491
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Right, back then Biden was an angel. No one felt uncomfortable around him. Reade's allegations have no evidence and we can take the info from the PBS piece and conclude that perhaps Reade is confused or confabulating or something.

Now . . . within the last 15 years or so, we do have the hair sniffing thing and making women and girls feel uncomfortable.

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Some women uncomfortable. If I barely knew him I would be uncomfortable. The actions invade people's space. I'm surprised he didn't stop it decades ago. But we are where we are. He knows now, women don't all appreciate it.

But it's never been shown to escalate into sexual abuse or assault. NEVER.

So you got nothing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 10:40 PM   #3492
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Some women uncomfortable. If I barely knew him I would be uncomfortable. The actions invade people's space. I'm surprised he didn't stop it decades ago. But we are where we are. He knows now, women don't all appreciate it.

But it's never been shown to escalate into sexual abuse or assault. NEVER.

So you got nothing.
As was noted in the PBS piece, Biden was 50 when this was supposed to have taken place. Also as the psychologist in the article noted, it would be highly unusual for that kind of behavior to have suddenly occurred at that age. Biden had no reputation at all for that kind of behavior before or at that time, and as noted, his reputation was the exact opposite. Not before, and not since, has any woman accused him of anything more than putting his hands on their shoulders or ...oh, shock!...telling them their hair smells nice.

And as I read quoted in your post, this did not start in the last 15 years or so. Biden already had a reputation for being touchy when Reade worked for him...but not in a sexual way. As noted, it was seen as more paternal or empathetic, never sexual.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th May 2020 at 10:42 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 10:58 PM   #3493
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,861
Biden is also missing the most easily obtained piece of evidence:
opportunity.

means are common, motive is hard to prove.

But opportunity to have "affairs", coerced or otherwise, requires time apart from family - something Biden had by all accounts extremely little of.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 16th May 2020 at 11:00 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 11:03 PM   #3494
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Biden is also missing the most easily obtained piece of evidence:
opportunity.

means are common, motive is hard to prove.

But opportunity to have "affairs", coerced or otherwise, requires time apart from family - something Biden had by all accounts extremely little of.
No one has accused Biden of affairs which, as you say, involve time. What Reade accused Biden of would take less than 5 minutes.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 11:18 PM   #3495
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,861
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No one has accused Biden of affairs which, as you say, involve time. What Reade accused Biden of would take less than 5 minutes.
man who do what Reade has accused Biden of don't just have 5min interactions with their victims and nothing else.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 11:35 PM   #3496
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
man who do what Reade has accused Biden of don't just have 5min interactions with their victims and nothing else.
Depends on the man and what he gets out of it. Some men just harass women but never progress to physical assaults. Some men prefer a quick assault to a more complicated time consuming affair.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:24 AM   #3497
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
deleted
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 17th May 2020 at 05:13 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:35 AM   #3498
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Her reputation is also completely separate from whether or not Biden actually assaulted her.
But it isn't completely separate from whether we should believe her allegation that Biden assaulted her.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 05:10 AM   #3499
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
deleted
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 17th May 2020 at 06:41 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 06:08 AM   #3500
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The median salary for a PR manager in Atlanta, GA is 108,000 a year. That's a wealthy person's salary.

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...ary/atlanta-ga
$108,000 is around the median salary for computer programmers. Are you claiming that half of all computer programmers are wealthy?
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 06:31 AM   #3501
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I can't find her blog story right now, but I believe she only stated that her father was abusive towards her.
https://medium.com/@AlexandraTaraRea...y-2f471fa1b2b2

It is also the source of her father being "rich and a powerful defense contractor."
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:34 AM   #3502
Tero
Master Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 2,214
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There is no evidence to support any claim that he did anything to her. But if you don't understand the difference between "coming on" and a forcible sexual assault, I hope there are no women in your life.
It was a different world 30 years ago. Before me too but at Bill Clinton era.

Though Biden is no Trump, I don't exclude him wanting casual sex with a worker. It was, and is, common: sex at work or with coworkers.

I don't appreciate the personal attack. I merely observe other males that I have been around for 50 years. And females. One couple at work produced lots of gossip for a year. Until both were fired. For the workplace affair.
__________________
I've deleted the one blog link. You can find the humor blog by searching "the kari report blogspot."

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 17th May 2020 at 07:53 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 09:52 AM   #3503
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
$108,000 is around the median salary for computer programmers. Are you claiming that half of all computer programmers are wealthy?
When you put it that way... yes.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 10:12 AM   #3504
Scopedog
Muse
 
Scopedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
When you put it that way... yes.
It depends on where they live doesn't it? $108,000 apparently doesn't get very far in some of the major tech business havens.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 10:26 AM   #3505
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,971
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
It was a different world 30 years ago. Before me too but at Bill Clinton era.

Though Biden is no Trump, I don't exclude him wanting casual sex with a worker. It was, and is, common: sex at work or with coworkers.

I don't appreciate the personal attack. I merely observe other males that I have been around for 50 years. And females. One couple at work produced lots of gossip for a year. Until both were fired. For the workplace affair.

You take offense at "the personal attack?" And then you double down. "Casual sex" is not the same as a a forcible sexual assault. They're just not, and you don't seem willing to acknowledge that. And no matter what some people generally did sometime in the past (and Reade's claim is about something she says happened 27 years ago), there is no evidence that Biden behaved that way, and plenty that he didn't. Thirty years ago far more people smoked than today; that doesn't mean that everybody was a smoker 30 years ago, and it doesn't mean that people who carried lighters in their pockets were arsonists.

Last edited by Bob001; 17th May 2020 at 10:28 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 10:56 AM   #3506
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
It depends on where they live doesn't it? $108,000 apparently doesn't get very far in some of the major tech business havens.
It goes pretty far in a lot of other places, though. If you want to spend your ten-percenter wealth trying to live in a one-percenter enclave, that's your business.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 11:31 AM   #3507
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It goes pretty far in a lot of other places, though. If you want to spend your ten-percenter wealth trying to live in a one-percenter enclave, that's your business.
$108k doesn't even get you to the top 25%, much less the top 90%.

According to Wikipedia, more than 30% of US households have an annual income more than $100k.

Last edited by wareyin; 17th May 2020 at 11:34 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 11:42 AM   #3508
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
$108,000 is around the median salary for computer programmers. Are you claiming that half of all computer programmers are wealthy?
I don't know where you got that median salary but this source gives a much lower range even for programmers with several years of experience:

Quote:
Apr 26, 2020 · An experienced Computer Programmer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $77,801 based on 419 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $85,502.
Every source I found was much closer to the above. None stated the median salary was even close to $108K.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It goes pretty far in a lot of other places, though. If you want to spend your ten-percenter wealth trying to live in a one-percenter enclave, that's your business.
Salary is commensurate with the cost of living in that area. A programmer in MS ($56.4K) is not going to make the same salary as one in NY ($71.4K) or CA ($64K).

No matter how much you double down on this, an income of $108K is not considered 'rich'. It is solidly middle-class.
https://www.thebalance.com/definitio...income-4126870
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 11:45 AM   #3509
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You take offense at "the personal attack?" And then you double down. "Casual sex" is not the same as a a forcible sexual assault. They're just not, and you don't seem willing to acknowledge that. And no matter what some people generally did sometime in the past (and Reade's claim is about something she says happened 27 years ago), there is no evidence that Biden behaved that way, and plenty that he didn't. Thirty years ago far more people smoked than today; that doesn't mean that everybody was a smoker 30 years ago, and it doesn't mean that people who carried lighters in their pockets were arsonists.
Exactly. I find it shocking that anyone would try and compare Reade's allegations to 'casual sex'. Casual sex is consensual, assault is not.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 12:08 PM   #3510
Tero
Master Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 2,214
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You take offense at "the personal attack?" And then you double down. "Casual sex" is not the same as a a forcible sexual assault. They're just not, and you don't seem willing to acknowledge that. And no matter what some people generally did sometime in the past (and Reade's claim is about something she says happened 27 years ago), there is no evidence that Biden behaved that way, and plenty that he didn't. Thirty years ago far more people smoked than today; that doesn't mean that everybody was a smoker 30 years ago, and it doesn't mean that people who carried lighters in their pockets were arsonists.
There is no proof of the assault. It's quite believable that Biden made some advances with the object being casual sex. Males back 30 years ago made these moves routinely, I saw them often. You would have got in trouble for touching genitalia even then, but men would grab women in two places quite often.

I have no idea how old you are, I'm just reporting observations 30-50 years back. I never said I approved it or practiced it.

Biden touched Reed, that's for sure. Where did he touch her?

Wiki: In April 2019, Reade came forward with an allegation that in 1993 Joe Biden touched her in a way that made her “feel uncomfortable” during his time as a Senator for Delaware.[3] In March of 2020, she revealed that the allegation was instead a case of sexual assault.[4]
__________________
I've deleted the one blog link. You can find the humor blog by searching "the kari report blogspot."

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 17th May 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 12:33 PM   #3511
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't know where you got that median salary but this source gives a much lower range even for programmers with several years of experience:
My information was from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The salary in your source is a joke (unless it is the average for 1st year programmers).

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and...developers.htm
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:00 PM   #3512
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
There is no proof of the assault. It's quite believable that Biden made some advances with the object being casual sex. Males back 30 years ago made these moves routinely, I saw them often. You would have got in trouble for touching genitalia even then, but men would grab women in two places quite often.

I have no idea how old you are, I'm just reporting observations 30-50 years back. I never said I approved it or practiced it.

Biden touched Reed, that's for sure. Where did he touch her?

Wiki: In April 2019, Reade came forward with an allegation that in 1993 Joe Biden touched her in a way that made her “feel uncomfortable” during his time as a Senator for Delaware.[3] In March of 2020, she revealed that the allegation was instead a case of sexual assault.[4]
So how many women did you molest? I mean it was so common back then you must have done some, that's for sure. Where did you touch them?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:13 PM   #3513
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,971
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
There is no proof of the assault. It's quite believable that Biden made some advances with the object being casual sex. Males back 30 years ago made these moves routinely, I saw them often. You would have got in trouble for touching genitalia even then, but men would grab women in two places quite often.

I have no idea how old you are, I'm just reporting observations 30-50 years back. I never said I approved it or practiced it.
.....

And in your vast experience, did every man assault every woman everywhere? We know that Biden was sometimes overly familiar with some women, usually in front of other people including his own wife, in ways that made them uncomfortable. No one but Reade has accused him of violent sexual assault. And you obtusely refuse to grasp the distinction.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:15 PM   #3514
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
There is no proof of the assault. It's quite believable that Biden made some advances with the object being casual sex. Males back 30 years ago made these moves routinely, I saw them often. You would have got in trouble for touching genitalia even then, but men would grab women in two places quite often.
Wanting to believe something and that something being believable are two different things. Was Biden known at the time for making advances, or was he known for not only not making advances but discouraging such from happening around him? Spoiler alert, it was the second.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I have no idea how old you are, I'm just reporting observations 30-50 years back. I never said I approved it or practiced it.
What does you witnessing someone making approaches in completely different circumstances have to do with Biden?

Hell, by that stupid metric males still routinely make advances with the object of casual sex. There are phone apps for that express purpose. It has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not Biden sexually assaulted Reade.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Biden touched Reed, that's for sure. Where did he touch her?

Wiki: In April 2019, Reade came forward with an allegation that in 1993 Joe Biden touched her in a way that made her “feel uncomfortable” during his time as a Senator for Delaware.[3] In March of 2020, she revealed that the allegation was instead a case of sexual assault.[4]
False. In April 2019 Reade came forward with an allegation that she expressly stated was not sexual. In March 2020 Reade made a different allegation of sexual assault.

In the early stages of a Wikipedia entry there are often changes, but I find it quite interesting that not only did you not provide a link but I can't find that wording in either the page about Biden or the page about Reade's allegations.

eta: I found your page, which is being deleted.

Last edited by wareyin; 17th May 2020 at 01:35 PM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:26 PM   #3515
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
.

ooops, duplicate post.

Last edited by Bubba; 17th May 2020 at 01:49 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:31 PM   #3516
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
another duplicate.

sorry

Last edited by Bubba; 17th May 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:35 PM   #3517
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
But it isn't completely separate from whether we should believe her allegation that Biden assaulted her.

How far do we take this idea?

Is a reputation for sleeping around ok to bring up? Is it ok to insinuate that an accuser’s mode of dress looks like an invitation? Is it ok to bring up that she’s a “party girl?”

To be clear, I don’t think any of that is ok to bring up when assessing a sexual assault claim. I’m trying to differentiate between stuff like that and other facets of an accuser’s life and personality such has been brought up with Reade.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:40 PM   #3518
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
How far do we take this idea?

Is a reputation for sleeping around ok to bring up? Is it ok to insinuate that an accuser’s mode of dress looks like an invitation? Is it ok to bring up that she’s a “party girl?”

To be clear, I don’t think any of that is ok to bring up when assessing a sexual assault claim. I’m trying to differentiate between stuff like that and other facets of an accuser’s life and personality such has been brought up with Reade.
With the Jacob Wohl stuff popping up again, I'm curious how far your refusal to consider a history of making false claims goes. Assuming you're aware of them (if not we have a thread on them here), do you still automatically assume that each new false sexual assault allegation Wohl and Burkman fabricate is true? Do you get upset if other people take into account their past antics?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:46 PM   #3519
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
$108,000 is around the median salary for computer programmers. Are you claiming that half of all computer programmers are wealthy?
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
My information was from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The salary in your source is a joke (unless it is the average for 1st year programmers).

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and...ers</span>.htm
Please note the highlighted. Your source gives the median salary for computer developers. A computer programmer is not a software developer . My median income was for programmers which is the job you specified.

Quote:
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics The median annual wage for computer programmers was $86,550 in May 2019.
No, it's not for 1st year programmers. If you'd bothered to read more carefully, you'd have noticed that my post clearly stated:

Quote:
An experienced Computer Programmer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $77,801 based on 419 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $85,502.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:47 PM   #3520
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Back when the media was far less corrupt than today....Biden was exposed for lying and plagerizing by ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC, (.Sam Donaldson, Connie Chung, David Gergen etc.) and others.


Why support a known plagerizering liar?


Who remembers this footage?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.