IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 02:00 PM   #3521
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Back when the media was far less corrupt than today....Biden was exposed for lying and plagerizing by ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC, (.Sam Donaldson, Connie Chung, David Gergen etc.) and others.


Why support a known plagerizering liar?


Who remembers this footage?
That's already been addressed.

I see you're a fan of the "fake news" mantra. You do realize that Trump told Leslie Stahl in 2018 that the reason he attacks the media is to discredit them:

Quote:
‘You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so that when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.’”
Personally, I'd be insulted by a candidate thinking I'm so stupid I'd fall for that. But it seems to have worked with a lot of people. Got to give him credit for that.

Do you support Melania? What's really stupid is plagiarizing the previous First Lady's national convention speech and giving it at the national convention where your husband's being nominated.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 17th May 2020 at 02:17 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 02:02 PM   #3522
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Back when the media was far less corrupt than today....Biden was exposed for lying and plagerizing by ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC, (.Sam Donaldson, Connie Chung, David Gergen etc.) and others.


Why support a known plagerizering liar?


Who remembers this footage?
I don't recall the footage, but I remember the last two times you posted this. Is everything okay?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 02:09 PM   #3523
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
With the Jacob Wohl stuff popping up again, I'm curious how far your refusal to consider a history of making false claims goes. Assuming you're aware of them (if not we have a thread on them here), do you still automatically assume that each new false sexual assault allegation Wohl and Burkman fabricate is true? Do you get upset if other people take into account their past antics?

I have no problem attacking political operatives for trying to get people to fabricate allegations. These things are exposed quickly because the person who is the alleged victim says, “I never said that; the allegations are false.”

That’s a very different thing than what we have here.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 02:16 PM   #3524
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Please note the highlighted. Your source gives the median salary for computer developers. A computer programmer is not a software developer . My median income was for programmers which is the job you specified.
I was using the layperson's terminology. For labor statistics, the title "computer programmer" is used to indicate a junior-level position. After the first few years, the person graduates to "programmer/analyst" or "software engineer" or "software developer".

Quote:
No, it's not for 1st year programmers. If you'd bothered to read more carefully, you'd have noticed that my post clearly stated:
I know what it said, but the salary is more in line with what entry-level people make.

If you don't like the BLS claim, try here

https://appliedcomputing.wisconsin.e...puting-salary/

or even here (starting salaries for recent graduates)

https://www.naceweb.org/job-market/c...ws-large-gain/
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 02:48 PM   #3525
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
How far do we take this idea?

Is a reputation for sleeping around ok to bring up? Is it ok to insinuate that an accuser’s mode of dress looks like an invitation? Is it ok to bring up that she’s a “party girl?”

To be clear, I don’t think any of that is ok to bring up when assessing a sexual assault claim. I’m trying to differentiate between stuff like that and other facets of an accuser’s life and personality such has been brought up with Reade.
OK. Since we can't make inferences about her credibility based on her history then we have to assume that her allegation is true. Similarly, we can't make inferences about Biden's credibility based on his history, so we have to assume that his denial is true.

I came to the conclusion that her claim is unlikely to be true before the Politico and NPR articles came out, actually, even before the story of her being charged with bouncing (or altering) checks came out.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 17th May 2020 at 02:52 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 02:57 PM   #3526
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
[quote=TellyKNeasuss;13093370]I was using the layperson's terminology. For labor statistics, the title "computer programmer" is used to indicate a junior-level position. After the first few years, the person graduates to "programmer/analyst" or "software engineer" or "software developer".

Uh huh....but no. You said programmer but then gave the salary for a developer. They are NOT the same thing nor are they paid the same. My husband and daughter are both developers. They both can code plus analyze and solve problems. Programmers CODE. My husband also manages both developers and programmers on his team. They do not do the same job.

Quote:
When comparing a programmer vs developer, a software developer should be able to code as well as a programmer does but their main job is finding ways to solve problems. To do this, they need to figure out what those problems are and then figure out the technical framework for solving them. Programmers, on the other hand, are all about code.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=comput...57dbe0943b1027


I know what it said, but the salary is more in line with what entry-level people make.

Quote:
If you don't like the BLS claim, try here

https://appliedcomputing.wisconsin.e...puting-salary/
This does not mention the salary median for a programmer.


Quote:
or even here (starting salaries for recent graduates)

https://www.naceweb.org/job-market/c...ws-large-gain/
Nor does this include programmer. It speaks only of "Computer and Information Sciences" which encompasses a broad range of jobs.

A computer programmer does not require a college degree. A computer developer requires a Bachelor of Science degree.

I suggest you stop doubling down.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:17 PM   #3527
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,972
I'm not following all this business of programmers' salaries. I don't think it translates to other work.

Reade's dad was apparently a PR manager (not necessarily the top guy) for Honeywell in Minneapolis. He was hired from a job as a small-town newspaper sportswriter, and jobs at small papers are notoriously low-paid. If they had tripled his previous salary, even doubled it, he would have been glad to have it, and it would have created the opportunity for a comfortable life. But that's nowhere close to rich, even by corporate executive standards, let alone business tycoon standards.

But what does it matter? The real issue is that Reade accused her father of abusing her. Is there any evidence or support for that?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:20 PM   #3528
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
[quote=Stacyhs;13093420]
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
I was using the layperson's terminology. For labor statistics, the title "computer programmer" is used to indicate a junior-level position. After the first few years, the person graduates to "programmer/analyst" or "software engineer" or "software developer".

Uh huh....but no. You said programmer but then gave the salary for a developer. They are NOT the same thing nor are they paid the same. My husband and daughter are both developers. They both can code plus analyze and solve problems. Programmers CODE. My husband also manages both developers and programmers on his team. They do not do the same job.


https://www.bing.com/search?q=comput...57dbe0943b1027


I know what it said, but the salary is more in line with what entry-level people make.



This does not mention the salary median for a programmer.




Nor does this include programmer. It speaks only of "Computer and Information Sciences" which encompasses a broad range of jobs.

A computer programmer does not require a college degree. A computer developer requires a Bachelor of Science degree.

I suggest you stop doubling down.
I probably should have mentioned in one of my posts that I was using "computer programmer" as a layperson would and not in the manner that it's used in the industry. And then explained that in the industry, "computer programmer" is an entry-level job title but that experienced people who do software development have titles like "programmer/analyst" or "software developer" or "software engineer".
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:35 PM   #3529
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,972
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
How far do we take this idea?

Is a reputation for sleeping around ok to bring up? Is it ok to insinuate that an accuser’s mode of dress looks like an invitation? Is it ok to bring up that she’s a “party girl?”

To be clear, I don’t think any of that is ok to bring up when assessing a sexual assault claim. I’m trying to differentiate between stuff like that and other facets of an accuser’s life and personality such has been brought up with Reade.

What she wears or how she behaves socially is irrelevant. What matters is her reputation for telling the truth. Someone with a proven history of lying or embellishing for her benefit is likely to keep lying when it suits her.

And I wouldn't ignore the bad check business. Employers frequently run credit checks on applicants, and a history of late payments -- let alone charge-offs and judgments -- would be seen as a level of irresponsibility that is disqualifying.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:48 PM   #3530
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I have no problem attacking political operatives for trying to get people to fabricate allegations. These things are exposed quickly because the person who is the alleged victim says, “I never said that; the allegations are false.”

That’s a very different thing than what we have here.
Not all of the people they contracted to claim to be victims came out right away and said the allegations are/were false. It took weeks of the very research you are denigrating here for one of their first allegations to fall through.

I agree that there are differences, Wohl and Burkman haven't been running their cons quite as long as Reade's victims say she has.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:59 PM   #3531
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What matters is her reputation for telling the truth.
I don't think that's a good idea. If she were a journalist, maybe. You'd consider her body of work before accepting an article that relies on anonymous sources for its claims. When John Carreyrou wrote his expose of Theranos, he used off the record sources to guide his investigation, but ultimately substantiated all of his key claims with actual evidence and on-the-record parties to the story. So I'll be inclined to trust his next expose. But I'd still expect him to come across with actual evidence at some point.

On the other hand, a rape allegation isn't the same thing. Nobody deserves to have their life ruined just because someone accused them of rape, and the best evidence is "well, she seems trustworthy, so it probably happened". No. That is not good justice. It's not even good social justice.

You're advocating for a world where the upper class twit, with his reputation sanitized by his entire class cohort, always wins over the victim he preys on exactly because they both know nobody will believe her over him.

Last edited by theprestige; 17th May 2020 at 04:02 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:01 PM   #3532
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
And I wouldn't ignore the bad check business. Employers frequently run credit checks on applicants, and a history of late payments -- let alone charge-offs and judgments -- would be seen as a level of irresponsibility that is disqualifying.
Heh. You're still arguing as if her claims are strong and additional reputational evidence is needed to refute them.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:09 PM   #3533
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
[quote=TellyKNeasuss;13093440]
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

I probably should have mentioned in one of my posts that I was using "computer programmer" as a layperson would and not in the manner that it's used in the industry. And then explained that in the industry, "computer programmer" is an entry-level job title but that experienced people who do software development have titles like "programmer/analyst" or "software developer" or "software engineer".
As I said, a programmer does not require a 4 year degree although most employers prefer a 4 year BS. Some only require a two year/IT tech degree. A software developer always requires a BS as does a Software Engineer. You cannot go into a job as a programmer without a BS degree and later become a developer or engineer without getting a BS degree in a related field.

Quote:
A typical four-year curriculum includes study of computer programming, mathematics, and the software life cycle. An associate degree in IT or computer science can provide access to select entry-level jobs in this field, but a bachelor's degree is the standard minimum education requirement for software engineers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I think we've dissected this enough so I'm going to bow out of this particular discussion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:12 PM   #3534
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Heh. You're still arguing as if her claims are strong and additional reputational evidence is needed to refute them.
No, he's pointing out that xjx388's desire to ignore that type of evidence is counter to how employers operate.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:20 PM   #3535
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,972
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think that's a good idea. If she were a journalist, maybe. You'd consider her body of work before accepting an article that relies on anonymous sources for its claims.
.....
Not to digress too far, but you do understand that "off the record" sources are known to the journalist, and usually some of his/her editors, don't you? People talk to reporters off the record because they don't want to get fired, or worse. But off-the-record is not the same as anonymous. Most of the Watergate reporting, to take a classic example, was from off-the-record sources. But Woodstein sure knew who they were talking to, including the deputy FBI director.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:22 PM   #3536
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
No, he's pointing out that xjx388's desire to ignore that type of evidence is counter to how employers operate.
Employers are examining the risk of partnership. We're examining whether a specific claim is true. Reputation can tell us about risk. It can't tell us whether a claim is true.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:24 PM   #3537
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,972
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
.....
On the other hand, a rape allegation isn't the same thing. Nobody deserves to have their life ruined just because someone accused them of rape, and the best evidence is "well, she seems trustworthy, so it probably happened". No. That is not good justice. It's not even good social justice.
....
That would only be the starting point. If she seems credible, then you would look for supporting evidence of all kinds. The unsupported allegation by itself should not ruin anybody's life. On the other hand, if she has a history of lying and embellishing, it might be hard to look seriously for evidence.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:29 PM   #3538
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not to digress too far, but you do understand that "off the record" sources are known to the journalist, and usually some of his/her editors, don't you? People talk to reporters off the record because they don't want to get fired, or worse. But off-the-record is not the same as anonymous. Most of the Watergate reporting, to take a classic example, was from off-the-record sources. But Woodstein sure knew who they were talking to, including the deputy FBI director.
Off the record is good for guiding a journalist's investigation of a story. But sooner or later he needs to substantiate his published claims with real evidence. He cannot ultimately rely on sources he does not corroborate and will not reveal.

I would not trust a reporter whose best evidence was his promise that he talked to a real person who really said what he claims they said. I would trust a reporter whose best evidence was actual, good evidence, even if he and his editor refused to reveal the identity of the source that put them onto it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:30 PM   #3539
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That would only be the starting point. If she seems credible, then you would look for supporting evidence of all kinds. The unsupported allegation by itself should not ruin anybody's life. On the other hand, if she has a history of lying and embellishing, it might be hard to look seriously for evidence.
It might be hard because humans are flawed creatures, prone to fallacious reasoning. I'm not sure why you're defending that as a standard of inquiry. Hopefully you would strongly disapprove of a police detective who let his personal opinion of the accuser get in the way of his due diligence.

Last edited by theprestige; 17th May 2020 at 04:31 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:32 PM   #3540
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think that's a good idea. If she were a journalist, maybe. You'd consider her body of work before accepting an article that relies on anonymous sources for its claims. When John Carreyrou wrote his expose of Theranos, he used off the record sources to guide his investigation, but ultimately substantiated all of his key claims with actual evidence and on-the-record parties to the story. So I'll be inclined to trust his next expose. But I'd still expect him to come across with actual evidence at some point.

On the other hand, a rape allegation isn't the same thing. Nobody deserves to have their life ruined just because someone accused them of rape, and the best evidence is "well, she seems trustworthy, so it probably happened". No. That is not good justice. It's not even good social justice.
Yes, you keep telling us that a person's lengthy and substantial history of lying shouldn't affect how we assess if s/he's a liar or not. I guess I shouldn't consider talking to patients for their opinions on their surgeon's work before considering him/her to do my surgery.

Whether you think we should or not doesn't matter. The fact is that people DO consider a person's reputation for honesty when assessing their credibility and they do so for a very good reason: People have a pattern of behavior that they do not tend to deviate from. Thus the saying that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Quote:
You're advocating for a world where the upper class twit, with his reputation sanitized by his entire class cohort, always wins over the victim he preys on exactly because they both know nobody will believe her over him.
Nonsense. No one is 'advocating' for any such thing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:36 PM   #3541
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Employers are examining the risk of partnership. We're examining whether a specific claim is true. Reputation can tell us about risk. It can't tell us whether a claim is true.
Who said it could tell us whether a claim was true? Does a documented history of fraud tell an employer that a prospective employee will definitely defraud this employer? Of course not, just as a documented history of fraud, deceit and lies can't tell you definitely that this time a person is not telling you the truth.

I brought up Jacob Wohl already. He has a documented history of making false sexual assault claims. Do you not take that history into account when he makes another claim? If not, why not?

Last edited by wareyin; 17th May 2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: turned off the accidental emoji
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:36 PM   #3542
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Employers are examining the risk of partnership. We're examining whether a specific claim is true.Reputation can tell us about risk. It can't tell us whether a claim is true.
But it can be a damn good indicator.

Weinstein's reputation as a sexual harasser/assaulter existed long before there was any actual evidence of it provided.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:51 PM   #3543
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, you keep telling us that a person's lengthy and substantial history of lying shouldn't affect how we assess if s/he's a liar or not.
We're not trying to assess if she's a liar or not. We're trying to assess if a specific claim is true. You're committing a textbook ad hom fallacy.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 04:52 PM   #3544
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,565
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But it can be a damn good indicator.
No, actually, it can't.

Quote:
Weinstein's reputation as a sexual harasser/assaulter existed long before there was any actual evidence of it provided.
And yet each and every person who accused him still had to come up with actual evidence, not just his reputation, to prove their claim.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 05:10 PM   #3545
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,717
Credibility always is part of determining if a claim is sincere or not. You might not like it, but it's how reality works. Evidence, of course, is much more valuable than credibility, but that doesn't mean credibility has no worth.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 06:15 PM   #3546
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, you keep telling us that a person's lengthy and substantial history of lying shouldn't affect how we assess if s/he's a liar or not.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We're not trying to assess if she's a liar or not. We're trying to assess if a specific claim is true. You're committing a textbook ad hom fallacy.
Yes, we are assessing whether she's a liar or not because we're assessing her credibility on telling the truth. You just think a person's credibility doesn't or shouldn't play a part in whether she may be lying or not.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But it can be a damn good indicator.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No, actually, it can't.
Yes, it most certainly can be. Reputations are not earned out of the clear blue sky; they are earned from behavior.

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Stacyhs
Weinstein's reputation as a sexual harasser/assaulter existed long before there was any actual evidence of it provided.
Quote:
And yet each and every person who accused him still had to come up with actual evidence, not just his reputation, to prove their claim.
False. There was no physical evidence or witnesses to prove their claims. But testimony from the women described what happened to them. It basically boiled down to whom the jury believed: the women or Weinstein.

Quote:
The final verdict in the Weinstein case was technically split; the jury convicted on the primary rape charges but not on the sexual predation charges. But it would be a mistake to think that this means the jury rejected the evidence of Weinstein’s past conduct altogether. Even if the jury wasn’t fully convinced that there was evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed the other rapes, the overall weight of the evidence may well have strengthened the credibility of the primary victims.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...on-is-full-win

Quote:
"Credibility and reliability of the government's witnesses is obviously an essential consideration for any good prosecutor," says Greenberg Traurig's Mathew S. Rosengart, himself a former prosecutor.
There is a reason the defense attacks the credibility of the accuser: because it matters.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:28 PM   #3547
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Quote:
Posted by Bubba View Post
Back when the media was far less corrupt than today....Biden was exposed for lying and plagerizing by ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC, (.Sam Donaldson, Connie Chung, David Gergen etc.) and others.


Why support a known plagerizering liar?


Who remembers this footage?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

That's already been addressed.

I see.

Did you debunk the reports that Biden plagiarized, and lied about his education ?

Please elaborate if youd be so kind.

Last edited by Bubba; 17th May 2020 at 07:31 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:32 PM   #3548
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
No, he's pointing out that xjx388's desire to ignore that type of evidence is counter to how employers operate.

I’m an employee and I don’t operate that way. I look at the record. In the case of a diverted bad check, there would be no record to see. I don’t call up her old employer and dig for gossip. I don’t scan Facebook for signs she might be unreliable.

I look at what is actually there.

In Reade’s case, there’s nothing there. Why do we need to tear her down? Why isn’t it enough that there is no evidence?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:34 PM   #3549
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I see did you debunk the reports that Biden plagiarized, and lied about his education ?
Nope. I said that was a big mistake on his part and he shouldn't have done it. He was wrong.

Now, see how that's done? I don't have the need to defend him no matter what. But, if you want to play the game of Biden lies vs. Trump lies we certainly can. But I don't think you really want to do that. Do you?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:41 PM   #3550
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Whether you think we should or not doesn't matter. The fact is that people DO consider a person's reputation for honesty when assessing their credibility and they do so for a very good reason: People have a pattern of behavior that they do not tend to deviate from. Thus the saying that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
This is rather surprising. It seems that we should be looking at a woman’s reputation. That discrediting her because “she’s a liar,” “she’s a party girl,” “she sleeps around,” etc is not only acceptable, but necessary.

We should certainly listen to her but if she proves to be unreliable -because she’s a prostitute, she has been convicted of theft (heck, someone alleges she stole something), she has a history of manipulating people- these are all good reasons to discredit her.

And here I thought we were supposed to be trying to be better than this.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:58 PM   #3551
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Why isn’t it enough that there is no evidence?
That's the trillion dollar question.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 09:42 PM   #3552
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Just to put a cap on this (because I think I’ve made my point):

In the end, I can’t hold this allegation against Biden. Why? Because there’s no evidence, not because Reade is a bad person.

I think this onslaught of personal attacks on Reade has almost completely undermined #metoo and the lessons society was supposed to be learning.

The message remains clear to me, at least: it’s not about who the woman is, what she does, or what kind of person she is. It’s not even about the man and what kind of pattern he has or if he has a reputation for this kind of thing. It’s all about acknowledging that this kind of thing happens all the time, by and to people you wouldn’t expect. We should listen to women and their experiences, even if we aren’t going to condemn every accused man because there simply isn’t enough evidence to do so.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 10:37 PM   #3553
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
It doesn't matter if there's no evidence. It's enough that he's been accused with no proof that he didn't do it.
Because, you know, there's no smoke without fire.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 11:32 PM   #3554
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nope. I said that was a big mistake on his part and he shouldn't have done it. He was wrong.

Now, see how that's done? I don't have the need to defend him no matter what. But, if you want to play the game of Biden lies vs. Trump lies we certainly can. But I don't think you really want to do that. Do you?

Goodness Gracious no. Never.

Why would I? Your admission was just dandy
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:15 AM   #3555
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Depends on the man and what he gets out of it. Some men just harass women but never progress to physical assaults. Some men prefer a quick assault to a more complicated time consuming affair.
None of this is consistent with Biden.

Are you still unsure?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:19 AM   #3556
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly. I find it shocking that anyone would try and compare Reade's allegations to 'casual sex'. Casual sex is consensual, assault is not.
Did you highlight this part for A reason?
Quote:
there is no evidence that Biden behaved that way, and plenty that he didn't.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:21 AM   #3557
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
There is no proof of the assault. It's quite believable that Biden made some advances with the object being casual sex. Males back 30 years ago made these moves routinely, I saw them often. You would have got in trouble for touching genitalia even then, but men would grab women in two places quite often.

I have no idea how old you are, I'm just reporting observations 30-50 years back. I never said I approved it or practiced it.

Biden touched Reed, that's for sure. Where did he touch her?

Wiki: In April 2019, Reade came forward with an allegation that in 1993 Joe Biden touched her in a way that made her “feel uncomfortable” during his time as a Senator for Delaware.[3] In March of 2020, she revealed that the allegation was instead a case of sexual assault.[4]
Where's your evidence other than it was common with males? Are you seriously saying "all males"?

Look at the PBS piece.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:45 AM   #3558
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
This is rather surprising. It seems that we should be looking at a woman’s reputation. That discrediting her because “she’s a liar,” “she’s a party girl,” “she sleeps around,” etc is not only acceptable, but necessary.

We should certainly listen to her but if she proves to be unreliable -because she’s a prostitute, she has been convicted of theft (heck, someone alleges she stole something), she has a history of manipulating people- these are all good reasons to discredit her.

And here I thought we were supposed to be trying to be better than this.
Who in this thread did the highlighted? You are conflating the old arguments made against women who were raped. No one here said any of those old stereotypical things to discredit Reade.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:59 AM   #3559
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Who in this thread did the highlighted? You are conflating the old arguments made against women who were raped. No one here said any of those old stereotypical things to discredit Reade.
Only the best and newest arguments are being made against women who were raped here.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 04:26 AM   #3560
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I’m an employee and I don’t operate that way. I look at the record. In the case of a diverted bad check, there would be no record to see. I don’t call up her old employer and dig for gossip. I don’t scan Facebook for signs she might be unreliable.

I look at what is actually there.

In Reade’s case, there’s nothing there. Why do we need to tear her down? Why isn’t it enough that there is no evidence?
You are claiming that as an employer you do not contact the previous employers of your prospective employee? Your organization does no background check whatsoever on a prospective employee? You just take what they write on their resume/application (whatever your process is) as gospel? Ok, sure, I'm not going to accuse you of lying to try to make a point. But that's not common.

And we've already been over why one has to examine credibility if there is no evidence. Over and over, with examples from law, society, and personal lives. But you claim to also make no attempt to determine how credible anyone is when they tell you they didn't break your weed-eater it was already broken, or when they need to borrow money, etc.

If you never asses credibility as an employer, when lending your goods or money, or when attempting to determine something when you have no direct evidence either way, then I doubt anyone will be able to convince you that credibility matters. I'd venture that if you are telling the truth, you're being ripped off a lot and likely have people working for you who are not qualified to do their jobs. I believe you're in the medical field, so I certainly hope having unqualified people working for you hasn't caused a catastrophe yet.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.