IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 07:22 PM   #3641
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
We do know that Reade was removed from her supervisory role over other interns. Ted Kaufman, a Biden senior aide, told her she 'was not a good fit for the office" and gave he a month to find another job according to Reade. If this was done as retaliation for filing a sexual harassment claim, I doubt she would have been given a month to find another job. This is speculation, but I suspect that Reade's chronic financial problems likely arose from her inability to keep a job.


That makes perfect sense.

Because if she was let go because she complained about Biden diddling her, they would have said: "We let her go because she complained about Biden diddling her, and rather than give her 30 days the termination is immediate as punishment."


In the real world, they make up legit sounding reasons, and give 30 days or more to make it look innocent.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 07:42 PM   #3642
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
That makes perfect sense.

Because if she was let go because she complained about Biden diddling her, they would have said: "We let her go because she complained about Biden diddling her, and rather than give her 30 days the termination is immediate as punishment."


In the real world, they make up legit sounding reasons, and give 30 days or more to make it look innocent.
But she didn't complain about Biden "diddling her". She says she did not use the words 'sexual assault' or 'sexual harassment' in her complaint, much less against Biden, in 1993. She said she complained about being asked to serve drinks because Biden liked her legs (which she never claimed HE had said to her). In fact, no one says she ever mentioned sexual harassment, much less assault, during her time in Biden's office. That only came later. What her 'close friend' at the time said was that Reade complained about have a hard time at work. Another colleague said she told him she was being let go for 'a medical reason".

Try again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 07:52 PM   #3643
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
It's breathtaking how sure the parrots are that they can safely ignore evidence as long as it doesn't happen in the mighty Wurlitzer. Mainly because they are right.
Politics is so polarised there is no value that cannot be sacrificed for your side. This includes ethical or epistemological values, insofar as what you might value as constituting good reasons to believe or not believe something.

With Reade no one can determine or not if Biden assaulted her based on what we know yet here we have people constructing narratives that they believe supports a conclusion. The arguments being made here are ********. If I was a Biden supporter I would have my eye on the ball instead of rolling around in the **** constructing arguments of forms that you would not accept in other contexts.

Biden would never be convicted on this evidence but neither can Reade’s accusation be disproven. Biden’s own words on believing women (or men as rape victims) is based on this idea that proof is almost impossible in historical cases where no witnesses, DNA, video evidence exists. What a tragedy that people who have been promiscuous, have a criminal record, defaulted on loans, rent or other contracts are so easily dismissed. Such people are sexually assaulted and what an injustice that such claims get dismissed out of hand on this basis. How many times has some rapist uttered the effects of, “Who is going to believe the likes of you over my reputation.”

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 20th May 2020 at 07:54 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 08:27 PM   #3644
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Biden would never be convicted on this evidence
An understatement of truly epic proportions. Biden would never be convicted (or even prosecuted) because there is NO EVIDENCE. Not only is there no evidence that he committed a crime, there is no evidence that a crime was committed.

Quote:
but neither can Reade’s accusation be disproven.
What constitutes "disproven"? It is almost impossible to disprove an accusation unless the accused can show that they were physically unable to have committed the crime (e.g., they have witnesses who can verify that they were somewhere else at the time). By claiming to not remember where the crime was committed or when it was committed, Ms. Reade has made disproving her allegation impossible. However, the NPR reporters were unable to find a location in the Senate office building that in any way matched her vague description of a location, so it can be argued that her accusation has been disproven.

Quote:
What a tragedy that people who have been promiscuous, have a criminal record, defaulted on loans, rent or other contracts are so easily dismissed. Such people are sexually assaulted and what an injustice that such claims get dismissed out of hand on this basis. How many times has some rapist uttered the effects of, “Who is going to believe the likes of you over my reputation.”
Are you arguing if an allegation can't be disproven and that it is baseless to evaluate the credibility of the allegation based on the accuser's known level of credibility and possible motive for making a false accusation, and therefore we are obligated to believe the accusation?
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 20th May 2020 at 08:38 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 08:49 PM   #3645
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
An understatement of truly epic proportions. Biden would never be convicted (or even prosecuted) because there is NO EVIDENCE. Not only is there no evidence that he committed a crime, there is no evidence that a crime was committed.



What constitutes "disproven"? It is almost impossible to disprove an accusation unless the accused can show that they were physically unable to have committed the crime (e.g., they have witnesses who can verify that they were somewhere else at the time). By claiming to not remember where the crime was committed or when it was committed, Ms. Reade has made disproving her claim impossible. However, the NPR reporters were unable to find a location in the Senate office building that in any way matched her vague description of a location, so it can be argued that her accusation has been disproven.


Quote:
Quote:
What a tragedy that people who have been promiscuous, have a criminal record, defaulted on loans, rent or other contracts are so easily dismissed. Such people are sexually assaulted and what an injustice that such claims get dismissed out of hand on this basis. How many times has some rapist uttered the effects of, “Who is going to believe the likes of you over my reputation.”
Are you arguing that the allegation can't be disproven and that it is baseless to evaluate the credibility of the allegation based on the accuser's known level of credibility and possible motive for making a false accusation, and therefore we are obligated to believe the accusation?
I love the claim that "such claims get dismissed out of hand" when it's those very people who are hand waiving away the totality of the evidence.

Let's just ignore the "promiscuity" bit as no one has mentioned Reade's sex life for either good or bad.

Reade's credibility is not based solely on a defaulted car loan, or failure to pay rent on an occasion or two, or a single check bounce. That's over simplifying it in order to minimize it. What has been shown is a pattern of repeated theft, of repeated manipulation, of repeated lying, of repeated fraud and repeated changing of her story. It's based on the lack of anyone who worked with her at the time verifying her several claims...in fact, not only not verifying it but outright denial of it. There is no evidence of any complaint filed.

Yet, we are supposed to just accept Reade's allegations because she says it happened. If we exchanged the name Biden for Sanders, they'd be singing a different song from the rooftops.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 09:06 PM   #3646
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
An understatement of truly epic proportions. Biden would never be convicted (or even prosecuted) because there is NO EVIDENCE. Not only is there no evidence that he committed a crime, there is no evidence that a crime was committed.
Agree, no evidence. Would not be prosecuted. I did cover this in the post you are replying to. In many cases there is no evidence but one person’s word over another’s.

Quote:
What constitutes "disproven"? It is almost impossible to disprove an accusation unless the accused can show that they were physically unable to have committed the crime (e.g., they have witnesses who can verify that they were somewhere else at the time). By claiming to not remember where the crime was committed or when it was committed, Ms. Reade has made disproving her allegation impossible. However, the NPR reporters were unable to find a location in the Senate office building that in any way matched her vague description of a location, so it can be argued that her accusation has been disproven.
Agree again. But if you say Reade is lying about this accusation you necessarily believe it did not happen. That may or may not synonymous with disproven but it is moot to my point that nobody knows and that dredging up someone’s bill paying, fraudulent behaviour, general character is no conclusive support for such a position.

I also pointed out the injustice that rape victims face with regards to attacks on their credibility. It is a reason why people don’t report rape. To engage in muck raking is pointless and ugly in that light.

Quote:
Are you arguing if an allegation can't be disproven and that it is baseless to evaluate the credibility of the allegation based on the accuser's known level of credibility and possible motive for making a false accusation, and therefore we are obligated to believe the accusation?
No, that is your constructed framing of my position using blocks beyond and incompatible with the ideas in the post you are responding to, specifically the bit that follows on from “therefore.”

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 20th May 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 09:54 PM   #3647
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,305
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
An understatement of truly epic proportions. Biden would never be convicted (or even prosecuted) because there is NO EVIDENCE. Not only is there no evidence that he committed a crime, there is no evidence that a crime was committed.



What constitutes "disproven"? It is almost impossible to disprove an accusation unless the accused can show that they were physically unable to have committed the crime (e.g., they have witnesses who can verify that they were somewhere else at the time). By claiming to not remember where the crime was committed or when it was committed, Ms. Reade has made disproving her allegation impossible. However, the NPR reporters were unable to find a location in the Senate office building that in any way matched her vague description of a location, so it can be argued that her accusation has been disproven.



Are you arguing if an allegation can't be disproven and that it is baseless to evaluate the credibility of the allegation based on the accuser's known level of credibility and possible motive for making a false accusation, and therefore we are obligated to believe the accusation?

We are not at all obliged to believe the allegation. Where are you getting this from?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:45 PM   #3648
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,083
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Politics is so polarised there is no value that cannot be sacrificed for your side. This includes ethical or epistemological values, insofar as what you might value as constituting good reasons to believe or not believe something.

With Reade no one can determine or not if Biden assaulted her based on what we know yet here we have people constructing narratives that they believe supports a conclusion. The arguments being made here are ********. If I was a Biden supporter I would have my eye on the ball instead of rolling around in the **** constructing arguments of forms that you would not accept in other contexts.

Biden would never be convicted on this evidence but neither can Reade’s accusation be disproven. Biden’s own words on believing women (or men as rape victims) is based on this idea that proof is almost impossible in historical cases where no witnesses, DNA, video evidence exists. What a tragedy that people who have been promiscuous, have a criminal record, defaulted on loans, rent or other contracts are so easily dismissed. Such people are sexually assaulted and what an injustice that such claims get dismissed out of hand on this basis. How many times has some rapist uttered the effects of, “Who is going to believe the likes of you over my reputation.”

I haven't been following this "case" at all and it was not what I was referring to. The videos of creepy Joe touching and sniffing young girls are more than enough evidence for me to conclude that this guy is a freak.

I was talking about the mounting evidence that the vice president of the US was running a just regime-changed ******** country like a king, dictating the halfway-elected president with highly corrupt energy what to do against his people to enrich himself, his son and his cronies. Which is not picked up at all, or if it is is smeared as "fake news" by the complacent corporate media. Which enables the clowns that in general have nothing against these practices to ignore them. It makes me wanna vomit.
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 11:12 PM   #3649
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I haven't been following this "case" at all and it was not what I was referring to. The videos of creepy Joe touching and sniffing young girls are more than enough evidence for me to conclude that this guy is a freak.

I was talking about the mounting evidence that the vice president of the US was running a just regime-changed ******** country like a king, dictating the halfway-elected president with highly corrupt energy what to do against his people to enrich himself, his son and his cronies. Which is not picked up at all, or if it is is smeared as "fake news" by the complacent corporate media. Which enables the clowns that in general have nothing against these practices to ignore them. It makes me wanna vomit.
It certainly would be a lot more on topic. Lets start piling up the speculation assured in the knowledge that if you stack enough of it up you can reach the loving embrace of your desired conclusion, sitting upon the majestic peak of your “totality of evidence.”

Jabba liked to use that expression in his various Shroud threads. Got me coming over all nostalgic.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 12:04 AM   #3650
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,374
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The videos of creepy Joe touching and sniffing young girls are more than enough evidence for me to conclude that this guy is a freak.
When I was a young trainee technician (in 1976) the office lady came up behind me and ran her fingers through my hair. I was disturbed by it, but it turned out I was the freak. Other people were touching each other all the time and nobody thought anything of it.

Fast-forward 30 years, when for the first (and last) time I tried 'dating'. "No sex", she said, to which I heartily agreed. I ended it when she touched me on the leg with the back of her hand, an obvious come-on (or was it accidental? I wasn't inclined to find out). What was I thinking? There was no way this 'relationship' was going to work.

Sadly, I am not the only one out there. Some of us are so haphephobic that it severely affects our ability to interact socially, prevents us from forming romantic relationships, and causes feelings of isolation and loneliness. IOW, we are freaks.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 12:21 AM   #3651
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,083
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
When I was a young trainee technician (in 1976) the office lady came up behind me and ran her fingers through my hair. I was disturbed by it, but it turned out I was the freak. Other people were touching each other all the time and nobody thought anything of it.

Fast-forward 30 years, when for the first (and last) time I tried 'dating'. "No sex", she said, to which I heartily agreed. I ended it when she touched me on the leg with the back of her hand, an obvious come-on (or was it accidental? I wasn't inclined to find out). What was I thinking? There was no way this 'relationship' was going to work.

Sadly, I am not the only one out there. Some of us are so haphephobic that it severely affects our ability to interact socially, prevents us from forming romantic relationships, and causes feelings of isolation and loneliness. IOW, we are freaks.

That's fine with me as long as you don't run for POTUS.
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:20 AM   #3652
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
deleted
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 21st May 2020 at 05:29 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 12:39 PM   #3653
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,374
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
That's fine with me as long as you don't run for POTUS.
You don't understand. I am saying the people freaked out by Biden's behavior are the freaks. Which is fine with me as long as you don't run for POTUS.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 12:49 PM   #3654
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
You don't understand. I am saying the people freaked out by Biden's behavior are the freaks. Which is fine with me as long as you don't run for POTUS.
You don’t get to assume consent to touch another person intimately based on your own ideas about what a social norm is. You sure as hell should not be ignoring signs of discomfort blithely or purposefully. People in power situations the arise from job status, age or similar must be hyper aware.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


The kids in the video above do not deserve being branded as freaks by you, even in latin.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 21st May 2020 at 12:55 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:02 PM   #3655
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,717
Tara Reade didn't make much headlines, so Trump's regime is back to Hunter Biden.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:17 PM   #3656
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,568
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Tara Reade didn't make much headlines, so Trump's regime is back to Hunter Biden.
It's not like the Hunter Biden question was going away.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:26 PM   #3657
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Tara Reade didn't make much headlines, so Trump's regime is back to Hunter Biden.
It's conceivable that Trump will use Tara Reade as a reason why his own accusers shouldn't be believed.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 21st May 2020 at 01:29 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:32 PM   #3658
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,717
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's not like the Hunter Biden question was going away.
You mean like it did for the last couple of months? It will go away again for a bit after this round of it gets stale. He'll bring back Obamagate at some point as well. He has a playlist of nonsense.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:39 PM   #3659
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,568
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
It's conceivable that Trump will use Tara Reade as a reason why his own accusers shouldn't be believed.
Conceivable, but unlikely. And unnecessary. It's not like any of his accusers are in the news right now, pressing their accusations.

You think any of them should try to get their claims back in the media, just so Trump can throw Tara Reade in their face?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:42 PM   #3660
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
It's conceivable that Trump will use Tara Reade as a reason why his own accusers shouldn't be believed.
A normal president in the same situation as Trump wouldn't go anywhere near bringing up Reade. But, Trump isn't a normal president. Hell, he isn't even a normal human being.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:09 PM   #3661
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
A normal president in the same situation as Trump wouldn't go anywhere near bringing up Reade. But, Trump isn't a normal president. Hell, he isn't even a normal human being.

Dont fall for it !!!

Now that our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law, we can spin it up into new ammunition to use against Trump.

So relax, its a good thing !

Rejoice !!
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:13 PM   #3662
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
I am sure the MSM will immediately report our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:43 PM   #3663
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,443
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Dont fall for it !!!

Now that our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law, we can spin it up into new ammunition to use against Trump.

So relax, its a good thing !

Rejoice !!
I love the irony of you introducing this right after someone pointed out the hypocrisy of the Trump campaign attacking Biden on the basis of sexual assault allegations made against him. You could throw in Trump’s well documented relationship with serial nonce to billionaires Epstein.

Donald Trump’s business dealings are dodgy AF. Its why this outhouse rat keeps blocking efforts to expose his tax returns and dubious bank loans.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:46 PM   #3664
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Dont fall for it !!!

Now that our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law, we can spin it up into new ammunition to use against Trump.

So relax, its a good thing !

Rejoice !!
OAN. Why am I not surprised that you would post this? You really have no idea what this is really about, do you? I suggest you stop getting your info from an extreme right wing echo chamber.

From WAPO:
Quote:
KYIV, Ukraine — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky called on his law enforcement agencies Wednesday to investigate leaked audio of private phone calls several years ago between then-Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine’s then-president, Petro Poroshenko, and said the conversations “might be perceived, qualified as high treason.”

Speaking at a news conference at Kyiv’s Mariinsky Park to mark the first anniversary of his presidency, Zelensky was again pulled into U.S. politics just eight months after a phone conversation between him and President Trump became the subject of an impeachment inquiry in Washington.

The recordings, which were first played at a news conference Tuesday in Kyiv, shed relatively little new light on Biden’s role in ousting Ukraine’s prosecutor general four years ago. But Zelensky’s comments Wednesday could have been aimed at appeasing Trump, discrediting a rival in Poroshenko and deflecting to investigators all in one swipe.

Hours before Zelensky’s news conference, the New York Times published an op-ed in which he said that “the impeachment story was not comfortable for me.”
“It took American and international attention away from the issues that mattered most to Ukraine and turned our country into a story about President Trump,” he added.
The Biden-Poroshenko audio appears likely to have the same effect. The Ukrainian prosecutor general’s office said Wednesday that it has opened an inquiry on counts of high treason and abuse of power or office based on Derkach’s allegation that the tapes point to Biden’s influence on Poroshenko.

The recordings showed that Biden, as he has previously said publicly, linked loan guarantees for Ukraine in 2015 to the ouster of Viktor Shokin, then the country’s prosecutor general. But Derkach, an independent member of Ukraine’s parliament who previously aligned with a pro-Russian faction and has past links to Russian intelligence, used the new clips to make an array of accusations not proved by the tapes.
Derkach said he received the tapes from “investigative journalists” and alleged that Poroshenko made them.


Poroshenko said in a statement Wednesday that Biden “is a friend and an ally of Ukraine” and that the “Kremlin has launched a full-fledged special operation against Ukraine.” His statement also referred to the audio as “bogus.”
“By means of pulling Ukraine into the electoral struggle in the U.S., they are trying to undermine the U.S. bipartisan support of Ukraine,” he said, adding that Zelensky’s news conference “has given rise to a reasonable suspicion about the Office of the President of Ukraine to also have been involved in this special operation.”

The rivalry between Zelensky and Poroshenko dates to the presidential election last year, which Zelensky won in a landslide. Poroshenko accused Zelensky of being a tool of oligarchs and Russian interests, while Zelensky accused Poroshenko and his administration of corruption and gross mismanagement.

“I’m not your opponent — I’m your verdict,” Zelensky told Poroshenko during their only presidential debate.
Since leaving office, Poroshenko has been interrogated as a witness in more than a dozen criminal investigations, and in February, prosecutors threatened to arrest him if he did not appear for questioning.
Western officials have raised concerns that the former president is being singled out for political retribution, but Ukrainian authorities deny there is any political motivation behind the cases.

Rudolph W. Giuliani, who serves as Trump’s personal lawyer, met Derkach during a trip to Kyiv in December. The tapes released offered no evidence to back Giuliani’s long-standing accusation that Biden pushed for Shokin’s removal to help his son Hunter Biden. At the time, the younger Biden was earning $50,000 to $100,000 a month on the board of the Ukrainian gas company Burisma, whose owner, a former government minister, was under investigation in Ukraine.

At no point in the clips released Tuesday does Biden mention Burisma or his son. Shokin’s firing was not a unilateral action directed by Biden but was prompted by a push for anti-corruption measures developed at the State Department and coordinated with the European Union and the International Monetary Fund.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:11 PM   #3665
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Now that our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law, we can spin it up into new ammunition to use against Trump.
Speaking of courts of law, it appears that Tara Reade lied under oath while acting as an expert witness during a criminal trial.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...6b2cd779e.html
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:25 PM   #3666
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Speaking of courts of law, it appears that Tara Reade lied under oath while acting as an expert witness during a criminal trial.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...6b2cd779e.html
I'll wait until Antioch U gets back with a definitive answer about whether Reade graduated or not. But, does anyone else see the irony in this?

Quote:
“Her testimony was critical to the jury in terms of them not believing (the victim) when he testified that our clients weren’t the ones who set the fire,” he says. “She was a pivotal witness to attack his credibility.
But credibility doesn't count, right? Right?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 08:45 PM   #3667
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,366
And now Hidin' Biden has finally come up with something to use in a campaign against Trump: calling him "President Tweety".

That's deep strategery there, Captain Electable. Maybe for the next one, you could even take another step along your path of brilliance & boldness & inspiringness, and try to find a way to work the word "orange" into it.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 09:14 PM   #3668
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,972
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I am sure the MSM will immediately report our man Joe Biden is officially listed as a criminal suspect in a court of law.
Courts don't have "suspects." People are either charged or they're not. And Biden isn't (and he's not suspected of anything, either).
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 09:52 PM   #3669
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But she didn't complain about Biden "diddling her". She says she did not use the words 'sexual assault' or 'sexual harassment' in her complaint, much less against Biden, in 1993. She said she complained about being asked to serve drinks because Biden liked her legs (which she never claimed HE had said to her). In fact, no one says she ever mentioned sexual harassment, much less assault, during her time in Biden's office. That only came later. What her 'close friend' at the time said was that Reade complained about have a hard time at work. Another colleague said she told him she was being let go for 'a medical reason".

Try again.
`

On video, Reade said Biden shoved his hand under her clothes and penetrated her.

Everyone knows the technical term for that is 'diddling'.


Try again.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 09:55 PM   #3670
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,254
Things they say when they have no clue they are getting their info from an extreme left wing echo chamber populated by idiotic corrupt dishonest political activists masquerading as journalists:


Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
OAN. Why am I not surprised that you would post this? You really have no idea what this is really about, do you? I suggest you stop getting your info from an extreme right wing echo chamber.

Last edited by Bubba; 21st May 2020 at 09:58 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 09:57 PM   #3671
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,409
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
How they sound when they have no clue they are getting their info from an extreme left wing echo chamber populated by idiotic corrupt dishonest political activists masquerading as journalists:
When irony and projection collide...
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:03 AM   #3672
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,785
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
It's conceivable that Trump will use Tara Reade as a reason why his own accusers shouldn't be believed.
No one's going to bring Trump's sexual abuse up. There's so much other stuff proving Trump is unqualified to be POTUS. He's so FUBAR no one cares about his raw-dogging porn stars.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:46 AM   #3673
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
That makes perfect sense.

Because if she was let go because she complained about Biden diddling her, they would have said: "We let her go because she complained about Biden diddling her, and rather than give her 30 days the termination is immediate as punishment."


In the real world, they make up legit sounding reasons, and give 30 days or more to make it look innocent.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But she didn't complain about Biden "diddling her". She says she did not use the words 'sexual assault' or 'sexual harassment' in her complaint, much less against Biden, in 1993. She said she complained about being asked to serve drinks because Biden liked her legs (which she never claimed HE had said to her). In fact, no one says she ever mentioned sexual harassment, much less assault, during her time in Biden's office. That only came later. What her 'close friend' at the time said was that Reade complained about have a hard time at work. Another colleague said she told him she was being let go for 'a medical reason".

Try again.
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
`

On video, Reade said Biden shoved his hand under her clothes and penetrated her.


Everyone knows the technical term for that is 'diddling'.


Try again.
Ok, Bubba, I'm going to explain this to you in very simple terms so maybe you can follow it. Maybe. Hope springs eternal.

1. Reade said she did not mention sexual harassment or assault in
her alleged 1993 complaint before she was fired or quit (various stories on
that one). Pssst...sexual assault includes being "diddled" without consent.

2. Therefore, she could not have been fired for saying Biden "diddled'
her.

3. Reade first publicly claimed Biden sexually assaulted her last March. You
know, 27 years later.

4. You think I didn't know what the term "diddled" meant before you
mansplained it to me?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:50 AM   #3674
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,212
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Things they say when they have no clue they are getting their info from an extreme left wing echo chamber populated by idiotic corrupt dishonest political activists masquerading as journalists:
Yeah. I didn't think you were going to address the information in the article. Quelle surprise.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:00 AM   #3675
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'll wait until Antioch U gets back with a definitive answer about whether Reade graduated or not. But, does anyone else see the irony in this?
From the NY Times article on this issue:

Quote:
She sent The Times a screenshot of a transcript showing her with 35 course credits, her department as “BA Completion” and nothing listed under “date conferred” or “degree conferred.”
(Antioch used quarters rather than semesters, so 35 hours is less than a full year's worth of credits.)

The Times also furnished this quote from the trial transcript:

Quote:
"I was a legislative assistant"
apparently as part of an attempt to imply that she had worked on the Violence Against Women Act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/u...edentials.html
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:14 AM   #3676
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
It's conceivable that Trump will use Tara Reade as a reason why his own accusers shouldn't be believed.
Trump's defenders have used Reade that way already in this thread, so yeah I expect he will do so as well.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:17 AM   #3677
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,479
I have to admit, this accusation about Reade's undergraduate degree is pretty severe. Hopefully we get some sort of firm resolution soon. If the worst accusation is true, Reade misrepresented herself in order to get a law degree and intentionally perjured herself on numerous occasions, really casting a lot of doubt on her credibility.

I suppose it's nice that the smear campaign against Reade has a real meaty accusation to dig into rather than tedious speculations about bounced checks or miffed landlords. Regardless on how things turn out for Reade regarding her degree, I still stand by my characterizations of the smear campaign for these imagined bombshells.

Given the gravity of the accusation about Reade committing perjury, I imagine we'll actually get a firm resolution with some concrete proof, rather than Twitter speculation about check fraud. Diplomas will or won't be produced, court records will be examined, etc.

Whatever the conclusion, I stand by my claim that the desperate fascination about bad checks was a shameful attempt to make an otherwise unverifiable, politically inconvenient sexual assault claim disappear.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd May 2020 at 07:22 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:50 AM   #3678
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,479
Biden has contentious interview with Charlamagne tha God, a black co-host of "the Breakfast club". During the back and forth, Biden says:

Quote:
“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...terview-274490

Throw this into the pile with all the other comments of Biden browbeating potential voters who ask him pointed questions.

I'm not political expert, but saying the quiet part out loud about how Black voters really don't have any option but to vote D probably isn't a good strategy.

Edit: Looking into this more, the exchange isn't nearly as contentious as some right-wing pundits are trying to make it seem. Still a gaffe on Biden's part, but not open hostility towards the host as some are presenting it to be.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd May 2020 at 09:14 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:52 AM   #3679
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8,561
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I have to admit, this accusation about Reade's undergraduate degree is pretty severe. Hopefully we get some sort of firm resolution soon. If the worst accusation is true, Reade misrepresented herself in order to get a law degree and intentionally perjured herself on numerous occasions, really casting a lot of doubt on her credibility.

I suppose it's nice that the smear campaign against Reade has a real meaty accusation to dig into rather than tedious speculations about bounced checks or miffed landlords. Regardless on how things turn out for Reade regarding her degree, I still stand by my characterizations of the smear campaign for these imagined bombshells.

Given the gravity of the accusation about Reade committing perjury, I imagine we'll actually get a firm resolution with some concrete proof, rather than Twitter speculation about check fraud. Diplomas will or won't be produced, court records will be examined, etc.

Whatever the conclusion, I stand by my claim that the desperate fascination about bad checks was a shameful attempt to make an otherwise unverifiable, politically inconvenient sexual assault claim disappear.
This is like the repo man thing you were on about before, right?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:57 AM   #3680
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Biden: ‘If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black’



Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.