IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Deep State conspiracies , QAnon

Old 17th February 2021, 04:23 PM   #3281
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
This always seems to happen like clockwork, along with anti-gay pastors being caught with rent boys and the like.
I know, hilarious isn't it.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 05:30 AM   #3282
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Bubba - I seem to recall you're fond of QAnon. What are your thoughts on this?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 05:44 AM   #3283
catsmate
No longer the 1

I see to my annoyance that this USAian Q nonsense is turning up in civilised countries.

On Saturday we had a "protest" by the Usual Suspects (including the Mad Dentist and son) against, well everything; lockdown restrictions., masks, vaccines, the usual bollocks.
Present were a pair of nutters claiming that nine thousand people went missing in Ireland last year and that most of these, and especially babies, were being killed and harvested for "adrenochrome" to keep RTÉ celebrities "looking young"2.
The corpses were buried under the new National Children’s Hospital3.
The two were wearing matching hoodies emblazoned with a slogan: "RTE sold there[sic] souls"4.

1. Though surprisingly sans the GoD squad. Maybe they weren't invited, or were preparing (badly) for their day in court.

2. Obviously not working too well.

3. Which might speed construction.

4. And yet people still oppose my plan for mandatory floggings for public typographical errors...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:54 AM   #3284
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I see to my annoyance that this USAian Q nonsense is turning up in civilised countries.

On Saturday we had a "protest" by the Usual Suspects (including the Mad Dentist and son) against, well everything; lockdown restrictions., masks, vaccines, the usual bollocks.
Present were a pair of nutters claiming that nine thousand people went missing in Ireland last year and that most of these, and especially babies, were being killed and harvested for "adrenochrome" to keep RTÉ celebrities "looking young"2.
The corpses were buried under the new National Children’s Hospital3.
The two were wearing matching hoodies emblazoned with a slogan: "RTE sold there[sic] souls"4.

1. Though surprisingly sans the GoD squad. Maybe they weren't invited, or were preparing (badly) for their day in court.

2. Obviously not working too well.

3. Which might speed construction.

4. And yet people still oppose my plan for mandatory floggings for public typographical errors...
Alas, stupidity knows no national borders.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:47 AM   #3285
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Alas, stupidity knows no national borders.
Well, our fearless leader wanted us to become an exporting nation again, so stop complaining.* Our sold gold stupidity is top of the line. Beautiful, perfect even.

*I know you're from Ireland, but it's all the same to us. Stop complaining anyway.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 3rd March 2021 at 08:48 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:34 AM   #3286
zorro99
Muse

(CNN) - Information provided by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security warns of increased chatter among extremists, including members of the Three Percenters extremist group, discussing possible plots against the Capitol on March 4, a date that conspiracy theorists have focused on, according to sources familiar with the matter.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/polit..._p1yDNdSuTxtKk
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:45 AM   #3287
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Bubba - I seem to recall you're fond of QAnon. What are your thoughts on this?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...701842bc13.jpg
Classist drivel.

Take a hard look at the people that raided the capitol on Jan 6. Do they look poor to you?
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:20 PM   #3288
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Classist drivel.

Take a hard look at the people that raided the capitol on Jan 6. Do they look poor to you?
People you would think would be grateful and loyal to their country, engaged in seditious conspiracy and betrayed their nation by attacking Congress on January Sixth. The Trump hotel in DC did a record on in-room dining on the 5th and 6th. We can't dismiss the enemy as just poor whites. Successful people also attacked our values and way of life that day. No one living in a trailer park ordered room service in Trump's hotel that night.

It's worth studying how people with everything became so disloyal over the last five years.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 02:33 AM   #3289
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

It's worth studying how people with everything became so disloyal over the last five years.
They want to make sure they KEEP everything? Just a guess mind you...
Old 4th March 2021, 05:21 AM   #3290
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

People you would think would be grateful and loyal to their country, engaged in seditious conspiracy and betrayed their nation by attacking Congress on January Sixth. The Trump hotel in DC did a record on in-room dining on the 5th and 6th. We can't dismiss the enemy as just poor whites. Successful people also attacked our values and way of life that day. No one living in a trailer park ordered room service in Trump's hotel that night.

The petite bourgeoisie have traditionally been the class of people most enthusiastic about fascistic systems.
Old 4th March 2021, 07:53 AM   #3291
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You'd think so, but perhaps it's because you're actually thinking and actually concerned about truth.

The people in question have been brought up on the belief that they and their kind are what makes America great, catechised on the exceptionalist myth by the false history of their schools and their leaders, and now their chosen leader has inflamed them with easy lies: that their dominance, the gift of God himself, is threatened by invaders and freeloaders and imposters, literally cheaters and thieves, followers of false gods who threaten not only their deserved gains, but their very cultural identity. They are loyal. Its just that it's to a lie.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:13 AM   #3292
zorro99
Muse

I’m waitin’.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:29 AM   #3293
zorro99
Muse

QAnon man is mad Trump didn’t pardon him

https://youtu.be/UB31ttMrrCU
Old 4th March 2021, 10:45 AM   #3294
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
QAnon man is mad Trump didn’t pardon him

https://youtu.be/UB31ttMrrCU
His mother seems to be nearly as kooky as him. Also interviewed:

https://twitter.com/LaurieSegall/sta...99159125819398

A lot of evasiveness and downplaying the severity of his crimes, and ultimately it comes down to that they think the election was stolen, so it was ok to attack the Capitol.
Old 4th March 2021, 01:01 PM   #3295
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
His mother seems to be nearly as kooky as him. Also interviewed:

https://twitter.com/LaurieSegall/sta...99159125819398

A lot of evasiveness and downplaying the severity of his crimes, and ultimately it comes down to that they think the election was stolen, so it was ok to attack the Capitol.
He went out tiger democrat hunting with his elephant and gun.
In case of accidents he always took his mom.

(Bungalow Bill, the Beatles)

There is always a song lyric that can be adapted.
Old 4th March 2021, 05:04 PM   #3296
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If the Q folks believe that March 4 is the proper and legitimate date for a presidential inauguration, how do they feel about Donald Trump's inauguration on January 20, 2017?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 07:01 PM   #3297
sts60
Illuminator

Hey, Qanon dolts: your infantile fantasy is still just that; and you’re still an ignominious mob of serfs and goose-steppers.

You’re also as un-American and un-Christian and just plain aggressively stupid as they come.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:14 PM   #3298
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Welp, there's March 4th been and gone. So when's the next Definitely The Right Day This Time, resident Qs and Q-adjacent posters?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 05:24 AM   #3299
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Welp, there's March 4th been and gone. So when's the next Definitely The Right Day This Time, resident Qs and Q-adjacent posters?
Some of them are pointing to April now.

Although some are also saying he's still President and is running the show from the shadows while Biden is either a fake or a puppet. I've lost track of the crazy fater that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 08:37 AM   #3300
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

OVAH!!!

Still.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 09:48 AM   #3301
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
OVAH!!!

Still.
In other news, Generalissimo Franco still dead.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 10:45 AM   #3302
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
March 20, for some reason. Maybe the Julian Calendar or something.
Old 5th March 2021, 03:28 PM   #3303
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
March 20, for some reason. Maybe the Julian Calendar or something.
Oh no, it's far far crazier than that. If I recall, it has to do with a theory that the US was turned into a corporation in the 1800's or something, and the army something and fearless leader will be sworn in as the first real president since Grant or something, somehow not worrying that this means he wasn't really president last time. Or something. I probably have it wrong, or at least not wrong enough.

Old 5th March 2021, 03:31 PM   #3304
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Oh no, it's far far crazier than that. If I recall, it has to do with a theory that the US was turned into a corporation in the 1800's or something....

District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871WP

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 03:50 PM   #3305
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Some of them are pointing to April now.

Although some are also saying he's still President and is running the show from the shadows while Biden is either a fake or a puppet. I've lost track of the crazy fater that.
The first of April maybe?
Old 6th March 2021, 04:04 PM   #3306
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How about the Fifth of November? We could have fireworks!
Old 6th March 2021, 09:56 PM   #3307
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How about the Fifth of November? We could have fireworks!
Sod off. That's the day after my birthday. I'll have a hangover.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 10:01 PM   #3308
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Remember, remember the fifth of November...
Nah!
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 05:01 AM   #3309
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Remember, remember the fifth of November...
Nah!
That line finishes "...gunpowder, treason and plot."

Seems appropriate.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 06:44 AM   #3310
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If the Q folks believe that March 4 is the proper and legitimate date for a presidential inauguration, how do they feel about Donald Trump's inauguration on January 20, 2017?
I wondered if they might say that actually he was really sworn in on 4/3/17 blah blah. So I thought I would try to find out where he was. As it was a Saturday, he was at Mar-a-Lago, and it turns out that was the day he first lied about trump tower being tapped.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 06:51 AM   #3311
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

That line finishes "...gunpowder, treason and plot."

Seems appropriate.
Lost it years ago.
Old 10th March 2021, 12:57 PM   #3312
catsmate
No longer the 1

In other news, Generalissimo Franco still dead.
But no longer in his tomb.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 01:16 PM   #3313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Last Night South Park gave Qanon and Covid Conspiracy kooks in general the same treatment it gave Sceintology a few years ago. it got it's mojo back at least for one episode.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 03:49 PM   #3314
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Last Night South Park gave Qanon and Covid Conspiracy kooks in general the same treatment it gave Sceintology a few years ago. it got it's mojo back at least for one episode.
Watching it now and it's brilliant! You're right, it's epic level brilliance.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2021, 12:31 AM   #3315
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Very interesting (and dispiriting) article from a journalist whose mother has fallen for Q-madness.

She voted for Obama in 2008, but then:

Quote:
Cracks began showing within months of Obama’s inauguration. My mom read that his healthcare plan would fund abortion procedures. It was a small slice of a broad program, but that was all it took. She felt betrayed by him and condemned the liberal media’s influence on me, the trusted voice who had led her astray.

The only mainstream media outlet that spoke to her concerns was Fox News, which supplied the evidence she used in her case to try to pull me across the aisle. She denounced policies requiring that evolution be taught in public schools and laws granting equal rights to same-sex couples. She blamed George Soros for funding the secret societies. She repeated false suspicions that Obama wasn’t Christian or born in the US and that he wanted to remove “In God We Trust” from US currency.

Her preferred candidate in 2012 was the socially conservative Rick Santorum, which I could’ve guessed. But I was less sure where she’d land four years later as the party she pledged allegiance to spiraled toward a demagogue. Her decision had new consequences: She had just become a US citizen and could finally cast a ballot. When she revealed her choice, I was relieved that she had backed Ted Cruz and deemed Donald Trump “vulgar.” When Trump won the nomination, my mom said she was only voting for him because he would appoint Supreme Court judges who might overturn Roe v. Wade.

But when my mom picks a side, she digs in and holds the line. Within a year, bolstered by an expanding far-right media ecosystem supplying information about the secular threat, she elevated Trump from a noxious necessity to a decent man who’d made mistakes in the past but found his way, a modern-day Saul. She picked up print copies of the Epoch Times, subscribed to the Judicial Watch newsletter, and stumbled onto YouTube videos claiming to reveal mysteries about the deep state Trump was combatting.

“Trump is not a perfect man,” my mom would text me. “God chose him to serve His purpose. It took a strong character to overcome the slings & arrows of the deep state/cabal.”
My Mom Believes In QAnon
Old 17th March 2021, 07:41 AM   #3316
eerok
Quixoticist

Another documentary autopsy of the lamebrain cult. The corpse of QAnon has transitioned into other forms of stupidity, but this stuff is still morbidly fascinating. I'll watch it.

HBO’s QAnon Docuseries ‘Q: Into the Storm’ Believes It Has Discovered Q’s Identity [thedailybeast.com]
Quote:
Shot over the past three years, Cullen Hoback’s excellent Q: Into the Storm (March 21 on HBO) is a complex story about free speech, social media, anti-establishment fury, white nationalist intolerance, crackpot fantasy, and anarchist villainy, all of which contributed to the rise of the infamous conspiracy theory, which during Donald Trump’s presidency took hold of factions of the GOP, and helped fuel the insurrectionist January 6 Capitol riots. Part on-the-ground journalistic exposé, part sociological study of corrosive internet culture, and part whodunit, the six-part affair shines a spotlight on one of the darkest corners of contemporary American life.
Old 17th March 2021, 11:58 AM   #3317
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I don't get QAnon. I can understand how well meaning people might come to incorrect conclusions about the world and how it is run, and buy into conspiracy theories, but QAnon is just...ridiculous.

JFK was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, and this fact has been adequately shown to be correct time and time again, but I can understand how someone who does not understand certain topics might buy the idea of a second shooter. Afterall they aren't positing that he was killed by faries, just a second human being, something that shorn of context is a reasonable supposition to investigate.

I can understand why people think that the Titanic was the Olympic. Sure, the theory doesn't make much sense but all it involves is switching ships, something which is technically possible and does not involve anything totally ridiculous or magical.

But politicians are eating children and sending them to other planets to be sex slaves/food? Really? What kind of severe break from reality do you need to have suffered to think this iseven remotely possible WITHOUT looking at the evidence? Sure, the grassy knoll and the Titanic switch fall apart once you look at the evidence, but they are at least not laughable on their face. But QAnon? It's totally bizarre. It would require a serious departure from how the world patently works to believe. I don't get it.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2021, 01:35 PM   #3318
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

You think that is a real FBI document?
I've been trying to look into that document to see if it is actually real. According to Snopes:

"We contacted Pasco County Sheriff’s Office Detective Anthony Bassone, of the jurisdiction’s cyber crimes unit. Det. Bassone was familiar with the story, and provided a wealth of useful information.

According to Bassone, the heart symbol in question indeed bore some resemblance to imagery disseminated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Cyber Division Innocent Images National Initiative to law enforcement agencies on 31 January 2007. (We were unable to locate the document anywhere other than Wikileaks, and Bassone told us that slides from the FBI’s release later appeared on an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.) The communication tipped law enforcement in 2007 to the existence of the symbols and common applications among pedophiles"

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...hiles-on-toys/
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2021, 02:14 PM   #3319
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get QAnon. I can understand how well meaning people might come to incorrect conclusions about the world and how it is run, and buy into conspiracy theories, but QAnon is just...ridiculous.

JFK was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, and this fact has been adequately shown to be correct time and time again, but I can understand how someone who does not understand certain topics might buy the idea of a second shooter. Afterall they aren't positing that he was killed by faries, just a second human being, something that shorn of context is a reasonable supposition to investigate.

I can understand why people think that the Titanic was the Olympic. Sure, the theory doesn't make much sense but all it involves is switching ships, something which is technically possible and does not involve anything totally ridiculous or magical.

But politicians are eating children and sending them to other planets to be sex slaves/food? Really? What kind of severe break from reality do you need to have suffered to think this iseven remotely possible WITHOUT looking at the evidence? Sure, the grassy knoll and the Titanic switch fall apart once you look at the evidence, but they are at least not laughable on their face. But QAnon? It's totally bizarre. It would require a serious departure from how the world patently works to believe. I don't get it.
I don't think believers go straight for the whole tamale. They see that Trump was not successful in his grand schemes and already have a deep distrust of big government, so they accept that career employees are thwarting his plans. They also reckon that Hillary is plumb evil and is due to pay the price and that Trump will indeed lock her up.

And then, once you start seeing political opponents and career employees as evil, you are slowly opening yourself up to the possibility they're more evil than you first thought.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 03:09 AM   #3320
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't think believers go straight for the whole tamale. They see that Trump was not successful in his grand schemes and already have a deep distrust of big government, so they accept that career employees are thwarting his plans. They also reckon that Hillary is plumb evil and is due to pay the price and that Trump will indeed lock her up.

And then, once you start seeing political opponents and career employees as evil, you are slowly opening yourself up to the possibility they're more evil than you first thought.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it works a bit like Scientology, where you aren't exposed to the truly ******* insane ideas until you're so far down the rabbithole, you aren't likely to back out.

There was an article a good while ago, which pointed out that few Q adherents actually see the original dumps, instead getting their information - and interpretations - from third parties, such as the various apps and Q gurus. When qmap.pub was shut down, some of the lowly adherents ventured onto 8chan/8kun to get the Q dumps, and they were horrified to see the kind of community that Q had originated in.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories