IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th March 2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

illegal to give food or water to waiting voters in Georgia

The Republicans in Georgia have passed bill HB 531 making it illegal to give anyone food or water as they wait in line to vote.

Georgia’s Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger objected to the law because, he said, his office had already ruled that pizza at the polls is a crime. Before the Georgia US Senate run-offs, Raffensperger threatened groups, stating that:

“offering food, drinks, or other items of value to voters waiting in line or those who have already voted is forbidden under Georgia law (OCGA § 21-2-570).”

Anyone handing pizza to a voter, according to Raffensperger, “shall be guilty of a felony.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 03:50 PM   #2
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The Republicans in Georgia have passed bill HB 531 making it illegal to give anyone food or water as they wait in line to vote.

Georgia’s Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger objected to the law because, he said, his office had already ruled that pizza at the polls is a crime. Before the Georgia US Senate run-offs, Raffensperger threatened groups, stating that:

“offering food, drinks, or other items of value to voters waiting in line or those who have already voted is forbidden under Georgia law (OCGA § 21-2-570).”

Anyone handing pizza to a voter, according to Raffensperger, “shall be guilty of a felony.”
Seriously? Is it also a crime to feed people in line to buy Rolling Stones concert tickets?
Old 20th March 2021, 04:17 PM   #3
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Even if it were illegal to feed people before they vote, a law against feeding them after seems outrageously excessive. I mean, how long after they have voted, and how far from the voting place, is it still going to be a felony? Will selected minority voters be arrested for feeding their spouses lunch when they get home?

If a couple comes to vote, will one of them be guilty of a felony if they share a bottle of water? Give your husband a bite of your candy bar, go to prison and never get to vote again!

Seriously, though, here in our little Vermont town, it's traditional to have some donuts or cookies or something to grab as you exit the polling place. I think it's safe to say that this does not have any political clout.

Of course we know what the point is. The state will create the maximum inconvenience and difficulty for the people they don't want voting at all.

I continue to be amazed at how malleable the envelope of stupidity is.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It also outlaws voting on all but one Sunday, knowing that African-Americans and Hispanics have long organized to vote after Sunday church in “Souls to the Polls” events.
Requires a verified excuse to receive an absentee ballot, outlawing most mail-in balloting, the vote method used this year principally by Democrats.
Eliminates mobile voting stations and curtails ballot dropboxes.
Requires submitting ID with a mail-in ballot.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th March 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 04:27 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Even if it were illegal to feed people before they vote, a law against feeding them after seems outrageously excessive. I mean, how long after they have voted, and how far from the voting place, is it still going to be a felony? Will selected minority voters be arrested for feeding their spouses lunch when they get home?

If a couple comes to vote, will one of them be guilty of a felony if they share a bottle of water? Give your husband a bite of your candy bar, go to prison and never get to vote again!

Seriously, though, here in our little Vermont town, it's traditional to have some donuts or cookies or something to grab as you exit the polling place. I think it's safe to say that this does not have any political clout.

Of course we know what the point is. The state will create the maximum inconvenience and difficulty for the people they don't want voting at all.

Some polling places in Washington State use to be churches. I use to vote a block away at IIRC in the basement of a Lutheran Church. The poll workers would have coffee and sometimes donuts/cookies there.
Old 20th March 2021, 05:12 PM   #6
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Looking from the outside, in a country where wait times at the polls are measured in minutes and not hours... That there exist such excessive wait times that food and drink might be necessary in the first place bespeaks of a rather dysfunctional system. To have allowed it to come to such a pass is already a sad indictment. And now to add insult to injury like this is despicable. A set up to invite the commission of this new 'crime.' It's like watching a same-but-different, American flavor of the debasement of politics that precedes a descent to madness.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 05:25 PM   #7
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Why do they hate freedoms?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 05:26 PM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Looking from the outside, in a country where wait times at the polls are measured in minutes and not hours... That there exist such excessive wait times that food and drink might be necessary in the first place bespeaks of a rather dysfunctional system. To have allowed it to come to such a pass is already a sad indictment. And now to add insult to injury like this is despicable. A set up to invite the commission of this new 'crime.' It's like watching a same-but-different, American flavor of the debasement of politics that precedes a descent to madness.
This seems to be limited to certain States and sometimes to specific locations in those states.. I've been voting for more than 40 years mostly in the State of Washington I think the longest time I had to wait during that period was maybe 60 to 90 minutes. Both were Presidential elections where voter participation is at its its highest and during peak voting hours late in the day. This isn't a problem anymore.

But in the South and Midwest the attempts to limit voter participation has been a Republican strategy for decades. And in the Deep South it was clearly done to prevent minority voting.
Old 20th March 2021, 05:28 PM   #9
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
They're afraid of what people will do with them.
Old 20th March 2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Nah, just the long-running practice of suppressing black and Native voters as usual. Much like when they pass strict voter ID laws, whine about how racist it is to say that black people are too dumb to get ID...and then shut down every state office that issues ID in a black town or neighborhood.

It’s interesting, though, that the GOP prefers this to the oft-repeated suggestion from black conservatives that they act like black people are actual people, rather than Birth of a Nation stereotypes.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 06:00 PM   #11
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Oregon has been vote by mail for a couple decades now. I used to work the polls when we still voted in person. Juice,, coffee and donuts gave it a real sense of community. The GOP is the party of the Grinch
Old 20th March 2021, 06:58 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So did Raggensperger offer even the pretense of a reason or excuse?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:18 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just as an aside, this may be true elsewhere, it's considered campaigning at the polling place even if you had no campaign buttons or logos on you.

A few years back when I was working on my local Congresswoman's campaign we got notice there was a huge line to vote at city hall. Even though WA is all mail-in there are a few places you can vote in person if you didn't get a ballot. So a group of us went down there to pass out water. We even resupplied and included snacks and juice. Some people were waiting with young kids in tow and most had nat had dinner yet.

So as we were doing this we got word from the campaign HQ who had heard from the lawyer that it was illegal because it could be construed as campaigning at the polling place and we had to stop. Most of the line was inside the building. Apparently we were OK as long as we stayed outside the building.

It sucked considering the circumstances but at least we got a lot of snacks and drinks passed out before we had to stop.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th March 2021 at 07:19 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:21 PM   #14
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What a bunch of pikers! A food-fair including a sausage sizzle at a polling place is one of our bright spots about Australian voting. We measure our balloting attendance in "democracy sausages".

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

And why do they have a Freedom Caucus?
Old 20th March 2021, 07:24 PM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

But surely people have not been banned from selling food and drink to those standing in line because that would be anti-capitalistic?
Old 20th March 2021, 07:27 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
But surely people have not been banned from selling food and drink to those standing in line because that would be anti-capitalistic?
And what about people who bring their own food while they are standing in line? And then sharing it with their friends?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:32 PM   #18
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So did Raggensperger offer even the pretense of a reason or excuse?
giving food or a drink is offering something of value so is an 'inducement'
Old 20th March 2021, 07:39 PM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So

- Make voting harder on the people you're openly pretty much declared a culture war on.
- Make it illegal to do anything that makes them voting easier because it's an "inducement."

Yeah sounds pretty Republican to me.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:45 PM   #20
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Hand out bags of Freedom Fries™ to voters in line and watch Republican heads asplode.
Old 20th March 2021, 07:48 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

giving food or a drink is offering something of value so is an 'inducement'
To do what? Eat?
Old 20th March 2021, 07:51 PM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also no voting site should be able to have a bathroom or a roof, and should all be on top of hills or surrounded by moats.
Old 20th March 2021, 07:52 PM   #23
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

They're just doing what they think is white.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 08:00 PM   #24
Modified
Philosopher

Requires a verified excuse to receive an absentee ballot, outlawing most mail-in balloting, the vote method used this year principally by Democrats.

It seems they are counting on COVID continuing forever, as otherwise mail-in voting should very slightly favor Republicans.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 08:17 PM   #25
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Freedom hates them.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 08:24 PM   #26
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Reminds me of this Borowitz Report "Georgia to Allow Some Voting in Certain Situations"
Quote:
Dorrinson said that the bill would prevent a repeat of what happened during the January runoffs, when “voting was allowed to spiral out of control.”

“People were voting as if it were their right,” he said.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 09:18 PM   #27
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Also no voting site should be able to have a bathroom or a roof, and should all be on top of hills or surrounded by moats.
This was exactly my first thought. Just be honest and set up sniper's nests and mine fields, you know that's what they want.
Old 20th March 2021, 09:27 PM   #28
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Repugnicans don't hate their people having freedoms, they they only hate "others" having freedoms. Repugnicans would be really happy if only Repugnicans were allowed to vote - and I'm quite sure that they would pass laws to make it so if they thought they could get away with it.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 09:45 PM   #29
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Just as an aside, this may be true elsewhere, it's considered campaigning at the polling place even if you had no campaign buttons or logos on you.

A few years back when I was working on my local Congresswoman's campaign we got notice there was a huge line to vote at city hall. Even though WA is all mail-in there are a few places you can vote in person if you didn't get a ballot. So a group of us went down there to pass out water. We even resupplied and included snacks and juice. Some people were waiting with young kids in tow and most had nat had dinner yet.

So as we were doing this we got word from the campaign HQ who had heard from the lawyer that it was illegal because it could be construed as campaigning at the polling place and we had to stop. Most of the line was inside the building. Apparently we were OK as long as we stayed outside the building.

It sucked considering the circumstances but at least we got a lot of snacks and drinks passed out before we had to stop.
Thats the kicker there, I think. I haven't seen what the Georgia law actually says, but it's not such an outrage if it regulates activities within the polling place, which is usually defined by some perimeter. It is, though, if it regulates activity outside the polling place, because it could be enforced arbitrarily. How far away is far enough away?

Here in Vermont the perimeter is up to the local authorities, but you can always tell where they've established it, because there will be a bunch of signs right at it. I'm guessing in our town it's about 50 feet from the town building where voting occurs.

It may be unfair, but I'm surmising that the law is extending polling place regulations beyond that perimeter, while likely also making sure that minority voters have to line up and wait for long periods in order to vote. But I hope I'm wrong.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 09:47 PM   #30
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Repugnicans don't hate their people having freedoms, they they only hate "others" having freedoms. Repugnicans would be really happy if only Repugnicans were allowed to vote - and I'm quite sure that they would pass laws to make it so if they thought they could get away with it.
That's easy to work with.

1. Everyone register as Republican.
2. Turn up and be allowed a ballot, as is your right as a registered Republican.
3. Vote for somebody else.
Old 20th March 2021, 09:52 PM   #31
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

2. Turn up and be allowed a ballot, as is your right as a registered Republican.
It's kind of a long game, but of course one of the advantages, if enough people did this, would be that, being members, caucus participants etc., they might even be able to reform the party.

Old 21st March 2021, 12:51 AM   #32
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Really?
You don’t thing the ‘holes would say, “if 90% of the people who showed up to vote were Republican and 52% of the votes cast were for Democrats, then the voting machines are switching votes, therefore all votes for Democrats should be thrown away.” And all the Kool-Aid drinkers would say, “Yes! Yes! Throw those votes away.”

Between the National Debt, gerrymandering, the anti-science attitudes, the refusal to allow alternative voting systems like instant runoff, and the Republican efforts to stop people from voting America is so very, very ******. If I had kids I’d tell them to emigrate.

Last edited by Ladewig; 21st March 2021 at 12:56 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 01:33 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

look, it's all about incentives - if you don't make it a total misery for certain people to vote, they might do it again - and who would want that?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 04:09 AM   #34
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

I guess only the poor... and liberal... are suseptible to this sort of influence.

I was shocked to see a pic of a 2020 voting station in one of the ultra wealthy, very GOP, enclaves near Beverly Hills, CA.
There was food and drink for the folks to nibble on... looked like a freaking banquet.
I'd guess the local chamber of congress dropped at least $60,000 on the catering.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 04:16 AM   #35
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

What a bunch of pikers! A food-fair including a sausage sizzle at a polling place is one of our bright spots about Australian voting. We measure our balloting attendance in "democracy sausages".

My first thought when I opened the thread.

They dont give CMOT's cousins the supply contracts I hope.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 04:26 AM   #36
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
It seems they are counting on COVID continuing forever, as otherwise mail-in voting should very slightly favor Republicans.
Really?
I had thought, and think I've read, that it would be the opposite.
The right's "all the time" outrage machine is just better at getting people to come out and vote. Or so I gather.

Old 21st March 2021, 05:04 AM   #37
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Really?
You don’t thing the ‘holes would say, “if 90% of the people who showed up to vote were Republican and 52% of the votes cast were for Democrats, then the voting machines are switching votes, therefore all votes for Democrats should be thrown away.” And all the Kool-Aid drinkers would say, “Yes! Yes! Throw those votes away.”
They do that anyway, when it's not 100%. And the last election has shown that any such attempts will get rejected by courts, to the tune of 60-plus to 1.

Quote:
Between the National Debt, gerrymandering, the anti-science attitudes, the refusal to allow alternative voting systems like instant runoff, and the Republican efforts to stop people from voting America is so very, very ******. If I had kids I’d tell them to emigrate.
Some parts are that bad. Many other parts are not. The solution lies in enforcing the same election rules across all states, i.e. a proper federal voting system. If they can do it for the rules of baseball and gridiron, they can surely do it for voting.
Old 21st March 2021, 08:36 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.

Shame, really. I would enjoy watching them have to twist themselves into pretzels as they attempt to justify the the unjustifiable.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 09:38 PM   #39
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

The Republicans are definitely tempting a federal voting rights response, so they can point to the wild overreach of the Democrats.

If history is any guide, they will most likely be able to successfully suppress legal voters and face no repercussions for it.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 04:24 AM   #40
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

It has not gone unnoticed that none of the forum's usual suspects or other assorted Trump sycophants have shown up in this thread to defend this disgrace. Perhaps even they realize this is indefensible, or perhaps they cannot bring themselves to criticise their tribe.

Shame, really. I would enjoy watching them have to twist themselves into pretzels as they attempt to justify the the unjustifiable.
They have yet to find an even marginally relevant "Whatabout..."?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics