IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 13th February 2021, 02:01 PM   #2521
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

WTF? McConnell now -- after the vote -- sounds like he's supporting conviction. He says Trump is morally and practically responsible for the attack on the Capitol.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:05 PM   #2522
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
WTF? McConnell now -- after the vote -- sounds like he's supporting conviction. He says Trump is morally and practically responsible for the attack on the Capitol.
Of course he is. He's a two-faced Traitor, just like most Republicans.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:05 PM   #2523
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

#2 on the list of worthless self-serving bastards.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:05 PM   #2524
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell wants it both ways: Trump's guilty but he's not. What the hell?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:05 PM   #2525
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's a flex. He's proving that nothing that actually happens matters.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:06 PM   #2526
shemp

They say only the good die young. McConnell will live to be 200.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:08 PM   #2527
Lerxst
Muse

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Well, this isn't over really. The criminal charges are coming for him. I honestly believe that if he lives long enough, Donald John Trump will eventually see the inside of a prison cell.
And there is plenty of time (years really) to investigate and strengthen the cases against him. I can only hope there are charges coming for his children as well.

As the prosecutions of the insurrectionists proceed and come to a conclusion we are going to see more and more evidence come to light, and it wont be so easily dismissed in a court of law. Charges related to the insurrection are not the only ones that could be coming either.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:10 PM   #2528
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah but Donald Trump is going to go to his grave never answering for a direct attack on democracy.

Pardon me if him going down on in 5 years on some tax code violation isn't a huge comfort.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:11 PM   #2529
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yep....he's going for the "It wasn't Constitutional" excuse. What a load of BS.

ETA: He's wiping away historical precedent, the vote of the Senate on the constitutionality, and the overwhelming opinion of Constitutional scholars and substituting his own opinion. The sheer arrogance is mind boggeling.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th February 2021 at 02:17 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:11 PM   #2530
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
7 Republicans out of 50 vote guilty ...
I know, there will be complaints about how it turned out. But....

I believe that this is the most votes ever by the party of the President in an impeachment vote.

His first impeachment was the first time ever that a senator (Romney) voted to convict a president from his own party. This time, 7 did so? That is completely unprecedented.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:13 PM   #2531
Mr Fied
Muse

The vote was that the proceedings were constitutional so you should have honoured that vote and voted on the facts you spineless turd.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:13 PM   #2532
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I know, there will be complaints about how it turned out. But....

I believe that this is the most votes ever by the party of the President in an impeachment vote.

His first impeachment was the first time ever that a senator (Romney) voted to convict a president from his own party. This time, 7 did so? That is completely unprecedented.
Yep. Trump has now had a member of his own party vote against him in two separate Impeachments, which is.... something at least.

(As always I still sort of count Nixon, who would have had a lot of Republicans vote against had his impeachment moved forward if not for his "Screw you, you can't fire me, I quit.")

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th February 2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:14 PM   #2533
dirtywick
Illuminator

getting 7 senators to break with the trump party is a lot
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:14 PM   #2534
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
McConnell wants it both ways: Trump's guilty but he's not. What the hell?
He wants Trump's base but not Trump.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:19 PM   #2535
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell is wiping away historical precedent, the vote of the Senate on the constitutionality, and the overwhelming opinion of Constitutional scholars and substituting his own opinion. The sheer arrogance is mind boggeling.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:20 PM   #2536
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

"Yeah, Trump was factually guilty. But **** you and your facts."

At least we are getting honesty for a change.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:21 PM   #2537
shemp

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah but Donald Trump is going to go to his grave never answering for a direct attack on democracy.

Pardon me if him going down on in 5 years on some tax code violation isn't a huge comfort.
He can still face criminal charges for what happened on Jan. 6 and the days leading up to it. This proceeding doesn't cause any future criminal trial to be double jeopardy. Presidential immunity is only in effect so long as the President is in office.

Last edited by shemp; 13th February 2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:21 PM   #2538
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He feels the need to rationalize his vote. I can't listen to it. He's got NPR on a special, however-McConnell wants to speak, coverage.

He probably feels the need to rationalize why his white supremacist Senate turned a blind eye to the con-man-who-was-POTUS' crimes. He has a lot to apologize rationalize for, 4 years worth.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th February 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:21 PM   #2539
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the GOP has shown how full of BS it's claim to be the party of supporting the Constituion is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:22 PM   #2540
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Time to arm up, folks. I think a second civil war is a matter of time now that it has been estalbsihed that a president is above the law, and the militant right has been emboldened.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th February 2021 at 02:25 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:25 PM   #2541
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
"Yeah, Trump was factually guilty. But **** you and your facts."

At least we are getting honesty for a change.
I don't call that crap honesty, but then I admit I had to turn it off so I didn't hear it all.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:26 PM   #2542
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm curious how Susan Collins votes this time. She's already fully wedged her foot into her mouth for Trump last time. Is she willing to do it again?
Count me surprised. It wasnít enough, which does surprise me, but she voted to convict.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:29 PM   #2543
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That speech by McConnell makes me even angrier with him. He knows Trump was guilty and yet he votes to acquit on a flimsy and transparent excuse for purely self-serving political reasons. It just reaffirms what a snake he is.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:29 PM   #2544
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Even though the outcome was almost assured, McConnell's disingenuousness pisses me off almost more than anything else that has happened.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:30 PM   #2545
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Time to arm up, folks. I think a second civil war is a matter of time now that it has been estalbsihed that a president is above the law, and the militant right has been emboldened.
Trump has lost his mouthpiece. He sent a written statement around and ABC at least, only read the beginning of it. Without his megaphone, can he even get more than a few thousand to come to a rally?

He tried to get Zuckerburg to let him back on FB, not happening yet.

It takes social media to rev that crowd back up and I believe right now they have no wind in their sails.

Not saying the situation can't change, just saying right now I don't feel any give-us-back-Trump movement brewing. He's a loser.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:31 PM   #2546
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe hold off on shooting your brothers for a bit. While he may have ducked a largely impotent impeachment conviction, DC might sit want a word.

And hundreds of arrested insurrectionists have already felt the bite of the potency of the Law.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:32 PM   #2547
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Has the acquittal vote been certified? Can we object?

/s
Old 13th February 2021, 02:32 PM   #2548
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Thank you.

Quote:
And again.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:33 PM   #2549
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And hundreds of arrested insurrectionists have already felt the bite of the potency of the Law.
Without Trump backing them up with pardons.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:33 PM   #2550
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump has lost his mouthpiece. He sent a written statement around and ABC at least, only read the beginning of it. Without his megaphone, can he even get more than a few thousand to come to a rally?

It takes social media to rev that crowd back up and I believe right now they have no wind in their sails.

Not saying the situation can't change, just saying right now I don't feel any give-us-back-Trump movement brewing. He's a loser.
I would like to belive you but I just can't. \

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:35 PM   #2551
dirtywick
Illuminator

this will probably work out for the best. Trump can't rally his base, they don't turn out in 2022, and people don't forget what happened in the last few months.

And honestly I'd be tempted to push through some controversial votes on a party line with Kamala as the tie breaker just to shove it down their throats that they're the minority party and they've failed. PR and DC statehood for instance would force the R party to have to be more moderate and actually consider the will of the people.

All Biden has to do is a good job in the meantime.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:35 PM   #2552
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I agree. I don't see Trump running in 2024. He'll claim he is, he'll make some moves like holding rallies, but he won't actually run.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:35 PM   #2553
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, does this mean we can storm Congress for this travesty and get away with it now? Asking for an insurrectionist.

Last edited by Thermal; 13th February 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:36 PM   #2554
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe hold off on shooting your brothers for a bit. While he may have ducked a largely impotent impeachment conviction, DC might sit want a word.

Fascists are not my freaking brothers.
I

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:38 PM   #2555
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I agree. I don't see Trump running in 2024. He'll claim he is, he'll make some moves like holding rallies, but he won't actually run.
String them along long enough to raise some cash then decide not to run.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:40 PM   #2556
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Fascists are not my freaking brothers.
I
Nor mine. But show me a Civil War where innocents are not caught in the crossfire. People getting a woody over Civil War overlook that sometimes. Arming up in the streets is generally a net negative.

Old 13th February 2021, 02:44 PM   #2557
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Congress makes it official: “Hey, Executive Branch, it’s okay to raise up an army against us, kill us if you like, if you don’t get your way!

“Thumbs up! High 5!”

ETA: semi ninja’d by Thermal.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 13th February 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:50 PM   #2558
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would love to see a big headline with that: GOP Senators rule it's OK to sic a mob on the Capitol if you lose an election.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:58 PM   #2559
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would love to see a big headline with that: GOP Senators rule it's OK to sic a mob on the Capitol if you lose an election.
I hope those senators don't complain when the next mob gets them!
Old 13th February 2021, 03:00 PM   #2560
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nor mine. But show me a Civil War where innocents are not caught in the crossfire. People getting a woody over Civil War overlook that sometimes. Arming up in the streets is generally a net negative.

War is a last resort, but if that is the price we must pay for democracy, so be it
As my sig shows, I am not a big f an of pure pacifism.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics