IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , Mo Brooks

Old 20th January 2021, 04:36 AM   #201
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
THRUSH, SPECTOR, and CHAOS, are all thoroughly pissed off right now. ANTIFA is making the Association of Evil Acronyms look silly.
Oh dear, someone's in for a measure of electronic correction; I hope they lubricate the catheter....
It's SPECTRE: the SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence Terrorism Revenge and Extortion
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 04:50 AM   #202
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Luckily, the OWCA is going to protect us.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #203
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Oh dear, someone's in for a measure of electronic correction; I hope they lubricate the catheter....
It's SPECTRE: the SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence Terrorism Revenge and Extortion
Early in 2002, the British SAS had t-shirts madewith the acronym for The War Against Terror.

I wish that had caught on. We could have funded the two wars by selling t-shirts, coffee mugs, and bumper-stickers.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:33 AM   #204
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Don't forget ZOWIE. Also, the red launch pad tower for the Saturn V rocket was the Saturn Launch Umbilical Tower until someone saw the acronym.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:40 PM   #205
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Don't forget ZOWIE. Also, the red launch pad tower for the Saturn V rocket was the Saturn Launch Umbilical Tower until someone saw the acronym.

Was a similar problem with a proposed city rail system, can’t recall if it was Seattle or San Fran. They wanted Seattle Light Urban Transport; the jokes really write themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #206
EHocking
Philosopher

The T shirts for the University College of the Northern Territory flew off the shelves for some years.
Of course some wag had changed the name on the shirt to College University of the Northern Territory.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:35 PM   #207
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Was a similar problem with a proposed city rail system, can’t recall if it was Seattle or San Fran. They wanted Seattle Light Urban Transport; the jokes really write themselves.

Riverside County Sheriff's SWAT team was originally the Sheriff's Hazardous Incident Team for like three months before the brass caught on.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:39 AM   #208
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So, uh.

The inauguration happened, right? Trump is no longer president. I saw video of him leaving the White House for the last time.

Didn't the Q-tards insist that somehow this wouldn't happen?
Old 21st January 2021, 05:27 AM   #209
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So, uh.

The inauguration happened, right? Trump is no longer president. I saw video of him leaving the White House for the last time.

Didn't the Q-tards insist that somehow this wouldn't happen?
Why yes, yes they did.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 05:30 AM   #210
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Apparently there's a new magic date, Feb 4th or something. Supposedly this is the "real" inauguration date (it did get changed from later in the winter to Jan 20th way back).
Old 21st January 2021, 06:23 AM   #211
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
Apparently there's a new magic date, Feb 4th or something. Supposedly this is the "real" inauguration date (it did get changed from later in the winter to Jan 20th way back).
March 4th was the date of presidential inaugurations in the US prior to 1933, so some die hards are hoping and praying for Trump's ultimate triumph on that day.

Good luck with that.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:28 AM   #212
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

Close. It was South Lake Union Transit, but it was indeed in Seattle.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:54 AM   #213
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post

That’s the one! At least I was on the right coast

Thanks for the correction!

Old 21st January 2021, 05:24 PM   #214
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That'll teach me to work from memory around here.

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Now I want them to change the name of the local light rail system from Metrorail to St. Louis Urban Transit...

Then our local newsteams could ask people, "Do you feel safe riding the SLUT?"

Last edited by Mike!; 21st January 2021 at 05:31 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 05:55 PM   #215
gmanontario
Muse

I had ownership of a rail IT project for remote train locating system in the days before Google.
It was initally called the Train Information Tracking System.

Red Green
gmanontario is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:00 PM   #216
bam
Scholar

Did it go tits up?
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:28 PM   #217
gmanontario
Muse

Originally Posted by bam View Post
Did it go tits up?
No but we 50 year old teenagers had to keep asking who is going to handle TITS today. Followed by muffled insane laughter. It never got old until it was canceled.

Red Green
gmanontario is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:56 PM   #218
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gmanontario View Post
No but we 50 year old teenagers had to keep asking who is going to handle TITS today. Followed by muffled insane laughter. It never got old until it was canceled.
Ah. I was once involved in a NATO training exercise in Germany that was called (after translation from German, then French, Danish, Italian and few others to American which came out as Practical exercise not involving soldiers - ie a logistical staff exercise the abbreviation of which raised some eyebrows.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:01 PM   #219
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Now there's a photoshopped photo of a supposed CNN crawl saying ANTIFA takes credit for starting the capitol riots, being shared on FB. Naturally the Trump cultists totally believe it's real.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:44 AM   #220
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
Now there's a photoshopped photo of a supposed CNN crawl saying ANTIFA takes credit for starting the capitol riots, being shared on FB. Naturally the Trump cultists totally believe it's real.
Typical.
"Don't trust the MSM! Apart from this, on the MSM! This is real! It'll never be shown on social media, because conservative voices are being censored! Share this on Facebook like I did!"
They aren't big on self-reflection, these people, are they?
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:52 AM   #221
Matthew Best
Philosopher

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it was probably antifa trying to make ducks look bad.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:47 AM   #222
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I think it's pretty funny that the best they can do now is claim some agent provacateur antifa incited the riot. Even most conspiracy cranks have to admit that the bulk of the mob was Trump supporters.

OK, so the MAGA CHUDs are just a bunch of stupid morons that will follow a mob to commit felonies. I wish it were true that these guys got played this hard.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:56 AM   #223
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Ah. I was once involved in a NATO training exercise in Germany that was called (after translation from German, then French, Danish, Italian and few others to American which came out as Practical exercise not involving soldiers - ie a logistical staff exercise the abbreviation of which raised some eyebrows.
I love stuff like this.

Back when I was in phone tech support, we channeled call tickets into queues according to call status. One of them was for "follow-up", designated for calls we needed to address at a later time to ensure it had stayed solved. It was abbreviated "FUP". So of course we all made sure to call it the "Fup Queue".

It occupied an odd position in our priorities--because clearing them took time off the phone, we could only work so many, especially when the lines were busy. However, none of the calls could be billed to the client until they came out of Fup Queue status. If I recall they usually had a couple of people not on calls at all that spent a lot of time clearing them. I don't recall if they were smart enough not to use technicians for the task, as it could easily be done by a non-technical admin. That was a problem on both ends--they used technicians for admins instead of hiring someone cheaper, and they used technicians for analysts instead of promoting them to a dedicated role. That means that most projects were done "off the side of the desk". This meant that the most versatile and experienced staff wound up having their call intake numbers tank and look bad, unless their manager was properly aware of their non-call assignments to inform the executives asking them about it. Guess how reliable that was?

It wound up worth it, because it gave me experience that I later used to survive an outsourcing of tech support at my next job.

Last edited by gnome; 22nd January 2021 at 06:08 AM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:45 AM   #224
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think it's pretty funny that the best they can do now is claim some agent provacateur antifa incited the riot. Even most conspiracy cranks have to admit that the bulk of the mob was Trump supporters.

OK, so the MAGA CHUDs are just a bunch of stupid morons that will follow a mob to commit felonies. I wish it were true that these guys got played this hard.
Hard choice: they were either a bunch of violent seditionaries, bent on wrecking Merkinaian democracy, or they were a bunch of credulous eejits who'd do anything someone told them to (I appreciate that both may be true...).
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 09:51 PM   #225
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
March 4th was the date of presidential inaugurations in the US prior to 1933, so some die hards are hoping and praying for Trump's ultimate triumph on that day.

Good luck with that.
I'm sure they can get the 20th Amendment repealed by then...
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:43 AM   #226
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
I'm sure they can get the 20th Amendment repealed by then...
Anyone who at this point thinks Trump can still win the presidency isn't interested in details. Or reality at all.
Old 26th January 2021, 06:00 AM   #227
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Anyone who at this point thinks Trump can still win the presidency isn't interested in details. Or reality at all.
Anyone who wants Trump to still win the presidency isn't interested in details, or reality at all.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:34 AM   #228
zorro99
Muse

Oregon Republican Party falsely calls U.S. Capitol riot a ‘false flag’ meant to ‘discredit President Trump’
Jaclyn Peiser

Three weeks after hundreds of people stormed the U.S. Capitol in a violent rampage that left one police officer and four rioters dead and led to more than 100 arrests of the pro-Trump rioters, the House delivered an article of impeachment to the Senate, charging the former president with inciting the mob.

In Oregon, the state Republican Party isn’t just backing former president Donald Trump — its official position falsely claims that the entire episode was a “false flag” operation staged to discredit the GOP and silence Trump’s supporters.

Last week, the state party released a resolution passed by its executive committee that says the supposedly fake operation was meant to undermine Trump and give more power to President Biden, citing websites by John Solomon and the Trump-friendly Epoch Times.

“The violence at the Capitol was a ‘false flag’ operation designed to discredit President Trump, his supporters, and all conservative Republicans; this provided the sham motivation to impeach President Trump in order to advance the Democratic goal of seizing total power,” the resolution says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-flag-capitol/
Old 26th January 2021, 10:51 AM   #229
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Oregon Republican Party falsely calls U.S. Capitol riot a ‘false flag’ meant to ‘discredit President Trump’
Jaclyn Peiser

Three weeks after hundreds of people stormed the U.S. Capitol in a violent rampage that left one police officer and four rioters dead and led to more than 100 arrests of the pro-Trump rioters, the House delivered an article of impeachment to the Senate, charging the former president with inciting the mob.

In Oregon, the state Republican Party isn’t just backing former president Donald Trump — its official position falsely claims that the entire episode was a “false flag” operation staged to discredit the GOP and silence Trump’s supporters.

Last week, the state party released a resolution passed by its executive committee that says the supposedly fake operation was meant to undermine Trump and give more power to President Biden, citing websites by John Solomon and the Trump-friendly Epoch Times.

“The violence at the Capitol was a ‘false flag’ operation designed to discredit President Trump, his supporters, and all conservative Republicans; this provided the sham motivation to impeach President Trump in order to advance the Democratic goal of seizing total power,” the resolution says.

So they're going with bat- ****, cement-head crazy. New normal.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #230
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Jaclyn Peiser

Pretty bold considering that the vice chair of the Young Republican of Oregon was arrested for participating.

Also the same person who organized one of the infamous "boat parades" for Trump that resulted in the sinking of an unrelated boat in the Willamette River. Quite the deep plant for a false flag operation, hat's off to the antifa super soldiers.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...limon-arrested
Old 27th January 2021, 09:04 AM   #231
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Women troll cement-headed irioters.

Quote:
Women on Bumble are matching with Trump supporters then reporting MAGA rioters to the police

As police use social media to track down Capitol rioters, dating app Bumble is also proving to be surprisingly fertile ground for discovering insurrectionists.

It started when women in Washington DC started to notice MAGA supporters on dating apps who were clearly in town for the riots.

Others decided to take matters into their own hands. Allison Norris shared that one woman changed her political preference to Conservative and sent the FBI any photos and videos from the insurrection she received from rioters.
As stupid as they look, bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 12:20 AM   #232
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

It was South Lake Union Transit in Seattle. The street cars even had SLUT on the side, and people made shirts that said "come to Seattle and ride the SLUT."
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 12:32 AM   #233
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Pretty bold considering that the vice chair of the Young Republican of Oregon was arrested for participating.

Also the same person who organized one of the infamous "boat parades" for Trump that resulted in the sinking of an unrelated boat in the Willamette River. Quite the deep plant for a false flag operation, hat's off to the antifa super soldiers.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...limon-arrested
Certainly there is the point that it defies basic reality, but we have reached the point where the problem is far more dangerous and serious than that.

A recent survey found that over half of all Republicans surveyed thought that Antifa was mostly responsible for the Capital riots. There is a consistent pattern where Republicans have just started to make believe whenever there is a situation they don't like. From global warming, to BLM, to election fraud conspiracies, to Qanon. Republicans have increasingly been making up a false reality with an increasing amount of violence given as the solution.

To my knowledge, that level of mass delusion is unique in American history. It's a disconnect from reality that fits short term goals of avoiding responsibility, but one that could lead to dangerous levels of gullibility given the tens of millions who are engaging in it.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 02:20 PM   #234
zorro99
Muse

Sen. Ron Johnson plays down Capitol riots: ‘This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me’
Tim Elfrink

As a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Capitol last month, rioters battered police with a multitude of weapons: metal flagpoles, baseball bats, wrenches and clubs. Many soaked police in caustic bear spray. One officer died in the Jan. 6 melee along with four civilians.

But Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) on Monday argued that it’s wrong to describe the group as “armed” and accused Democrats of “selectively” editing videos to exaggerate the threat posed by a mob that came within feet of Vice President Mike Pence and other elected officials.

“This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me,” Johnson said on WISN. “When you hear the word ‘armed,’ don’t you think of firearms? Here’s the questions I would have liked to ask: How many firearms were confiscated? How many shots were fired?”

Johnson added, “If that was a planned armed insurrection, man, you had really a bunch of idiots.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ots-downplays/
Old 16th February 2021, 04:19 PM   #235
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Johnson added, “If that was a planned armed insurrection, man, you had really a bunch of idiots.”
Here, he said a correct thing.
Old 16th February 2021, 04:54 PM   #236
Axxman300
Illuminator

Sen. Ron Johnson plays down Capitol riots: ‘This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me’
Tim Elfrink

As a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Capitol last month, rioters battered police with a multitude of weapons: metal flagpoles, baseball bats, wrenches and clubs. Many soaked police in caustic bear spray. One officer died in the Jan. 6 melee along with four civilians.

But Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) on Monday argued that it’s wrong to describe the group as “armed” and accused Democrats of “selectively” editing videos to exaggerate the threat posed by a mob that came within feet of Vice President Mike Pence and other elected officials.

“This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me,” Johnson said on WISN. “When you hear the word ‘armed,’ don’t you think of firearms? Here’s the questions I would have liked to ask: How many firearms were confiscated? How many shots were fired?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ots-downplays/
Weird, he worked against a law which would have punished pedophiles. Like he lacks judgement or something.
Old 16th February 2021, 05:35 PM   #237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ron Johnson: Main competition with Lindsay Graham for the title of "Biggest Trump Butt Kisser In The Senate"

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 09:42 PM   #238
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
A recent survey found that over half of all Republicans surveyed thought that Antifa was mostly responsible for the Capital riots. There is a consistent pattern where Republicans have just started to make believe whenever there is a situation they don't like. From global warming, to BLM, to election fraud conspiracies, to Qanon. Republicans have increasingly been making up a false reality with an increasing amount of violence given as the solution.

In Trump, it seems to be a habit and not something he first has to consider doing. By now, it must have become a habit in most of his followers, too.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:34 PM   #239
zorro99
Muse

Senator Johnson today said that Trump supporters are too fat and jolly to be violent insurrectionists.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:46 PM   #240
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Senator Johnson today said that Trump supporters are too fat and jolly to be violent insurrectionists.
Democrats need to start organizing now to **** him up in the next election. He's in a swing state and he's bat **** crazy.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories