IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 2nd December 2021, 02:15 AM   #3321
Poem
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The concept has been discussed many times in the past. And the consensus is that long-term members didn't like the idea of turning conversations into a popularity contest.

That said, there is a literal popularity contest on this forum - the Foolmewunz Memorial Language Awards, the thread for which you will find in Community. The Nominate button at the bottom left of a post allows you to nominate that post for an award, which is decided monthly and the winner of which gets a nifty banner beneath their name. It's not the same as a Like button, though - it should be used to express appreciation of the language of a post, not to simply express agreement with it.

This is one of just many ongoing traditions that await your discovery. Soon, you too will discover the joy of dicksing your own potatoes!
Much appreciated info arthwollipot. Ta.

Dicksing your own potatoes???

No way to edit an opening post?
Poem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 07:38 AM   #3322
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Poem View Post
Much appreciated info arthwollipot. Ta.

Dicksing your own potatoes???

No way to edit an opening post?
If I recall correctly the editing window, for any post, is two hours.

ETA: Within that window the edit button will appear first on the lower right.

Last edited by The Man; 4th December 2021 at 07:39 AM. Reason: eta
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 10:08 PM   #3323
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
If I recall correctly the editing window, for any post, is two hours.

ETA: Within that window the edit button will appear first on the lower right.
And again, that window is for historical reasons. When this forum was owned by the James Randi Educational Foundation and used for challenges where there was literally a million dollars at stake, they didn't want people to be able to claim that they did or didn't say something earlier in the thread and justify themselves by going back and editing older posts.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:24 PM   #3324
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And again, that window is for historical reasons. When this forum was owned by the James Randi Educational Foundation and used for challenges where there was literally a million dollars at stake, they didn't want people to be able to claim that they did or didn't say something earlier in the thread and justify themselves by going back and editing older posts.
I think it still is helpful, since many posts elicit specific responses, and changing the thing responded to can be dishonest, and even when honest it can be confusing. In fast moving threads, its a good idea, I think, to make even quick edits obvious with an "edit to add" notation, unless one is just cleaning up typos or polishing language.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 03:53 PM   #3325
TiercelR
New Blood

Hello all from mexico city.

Hello all from mexico city.

This forum do have very very interesting information in all their posts.

Possiblyment my future posts could have too a some words of interest for the members of this forum.

My native idiom is not the english idiom, but i will do all the possible for to communicate well.

Thanks, and regards.

Last edited by TiercelR; 11th December 2021 at 03:56 PM.
TiercelR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 10:48 PM   #3326
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Welcome to the forum, TiercelR. Your English seems to be good enough to make your meaning clear.
Old 12th December 2021, 08:03 PM   #3327
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

English is a very forgiving language really, despite its fearful reputation.
Old 27th December 2021, 08:03 AM   #3328
nezumi
New Blood

Hello fellow humans.

I promise I'm not an alien (unless you're from somewhere other than Earth, in which case I am. Also Hi!).

I haven't even eavesdropped for a while before this so this should be fun! I prefer to jump in headfirst and ask questions later - unless I've already ratonalised everything and don't bother asking questions because I've assumed the answers already.

Be prepared!
nezumi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 08:48 AM   #3329
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
I promise I'm not an alien (unless you're from somewhere other than Earth, in which case I am. Also Hi!).

I haven't even eavesdropped for a while before this so this should be fun! I prefer to jump in headfirst and ask questions later - unless I've already ratonalised everything and don't bother asking questions because I've assumed the answers already.

Be prepared!
Welcome, nezumi. As far as I know my paternal grandfather was an anchor alien. Born here on Earth (as well as the USA) while his parents had to go back from whence they came. Also I don't recall any kind of bot test when signing up.

So human or not, wellcome everyone.

To quote Caesar from "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes"

"And we, who are not human, can afford to be humane."
Old 27th December 2021, 10:26 AM   #3330
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I know I was born on earth or a facsimile of it (some might make a case that New Haven is,like the mouth of a Klein bottle, not exactly in or out and its somewhere is not quite anywhere) but have been told often enough to return to earth that it's a little ambiguous where I have been since, so welcome, fellow traveler.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:14 AM   #3331
Dude111
Muse

Welcome to the site everyone!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2022, 08:01 PM   #3332
Caroline13
Banned

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Welcome to the site everyone!!!!!
Hi, my ban is lifted so I'm back a LITTLE BIT.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2022, 08:25 PM   #3333
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Not for long I bet.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2022, 12:29 AM   #3334
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I think you mean your suspension has expired. Bans are permanent on this forum.
Old 7th February 2022, 07:46 AM   #3335
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Just under 12 hours.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2022, 08:34 AM   #3336
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Not for long I bet.
I was right! Where's my million dollars!?

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2022, 08:58 AM   #3337
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That didn't take long, did it? Eager for a new learning experience, Caroline, eager as always to get the terminology just right, tests for the difference between a suspension and a ban. In this cruel world of plots and deceivers and shills and malevolent medicine and virtue signaling libwoke cabals it's hard to be certain what the enemy really means. Now you know for sure. Well done.

Old 10th March 2022, 08:53 AM   #3338
aniri
New Blood

Hello, I am a new member.
Sorry about my English in advance: it's not my native language.
aniri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 09:01 AM   #3339
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by aniri View Post
So far so good. Plenty of people here are not native English speakers, and when they make sense they easily do better than plenty who are.

Old 12th March 2022, 07:43 AM   #3340
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by aniri View Post
Not to worry, aniri, it is my native language and I still have to apologize for my mangling of it.

Welcome everyone.
Old 24th March 2022, 08:35 AM   #3341
Student

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And remember you can always check out all the past introductions and welcome messages in the original "Welcome new posters! Introduce yourselves here!" thread.
I tried, because clicking on links few others probably bother with floats my boat, but it came back with
"No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". You are hereby served notice, kind admin.

Some intriguing stuff not far upthread about plots and deceivers and shills and malevolent medicine. Sounds like I'd better steer clear.

I've been on forums like forever, it feels weird to have a New Blood currently right above where some day I'll be allowed an avatar. But New Blood I am. Is there an initiation rite I should be made aware of, or will it happen when I'm least expecting it?
905 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 08:41 AM   #3342
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 905 View Post
I tried, because clicking on links few others probably bother with floats my boat, but it came back with
"No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". You are hereby served notice, kind admin.

Some intriguing stuff not far upthread about plots and deceivers and shills and malevolent medicine. Sounds like I'd better steer clear.

I've been on forums like forever, it feels weird to have a New Blood currently right above where some day I'll be allowed an avatar. But New Blood I am. Is there an initiation rite I should be made aware of, or will it happen when I'm least expecting it?
Hiya and Welcome Aboard!

If you are asking about when you change from New Blood and can have an avatar, it is based on your post count. Rack up like 50 posts I think, and you can upload or choose one.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 08:47 AM   #3343
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

As Thermal said, that title will change automatically the more posts you have. Also, you can request that title be customized. There is some thread in the Forum Management area for that but I can't recall it's exact name.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 08:52 AM   #3344
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
As Thermal said, that title will change automatically the more posts you have. Also, you can request that title be customized. There is some thread in the Forum Management area for that but I can't recall it's exact name.
I think it is Custom Title, please? or something like that.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 08:54 AM   #3345
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, In "Forum Help & Member Support".
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 09:20 AM   #3346
Student

Thanks.

I'm fine with New Blood till I ain't. Actually I could use some new blood, mine is not so hot.
905 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 09:21 AM   #3347
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Thanks.

I'm fine with New Blood till I ain't. Actually I could use some new blood, mine is not so hot.
I gotta ask, is "905" a Who reference?
Old 24th March 2022, 09:32 AM   #3348
Student

Yep! And I also live a few miles away from Roger Daltrey, though alas we've never met.
Old 24th March 2022, 09:46 AM   #3349
dasmiller

Yep! And I also live a few miles away from Roger Daltrey, though alas we've never met.
Very good. If I'd thought of that, I might have used it instead of dasmiller.

Several years ago, I was on a business trip to Florida and I was having a beer in the hotel bar. I was the only customer, and the bartender (a very young woman) said, "Hey, do you know a band called Who?"
"You mean 'The Who?' Sure, why?"
"They were here last night."
"In Orlando?"
"No, here at the bar." And she fooled around with her phone for a minute and pulled up a picture of herself with Pete Townshend (if I remember correctly). I think she had no idea who he was, and had only a vague idea who The Who were, but one of the other customers that night had recognized them.

Of course, for the next couple of days, I hung out there whenever I had the chance, but they never reappeared.

Last edited by dasmiller; 24th March 2022 at 09:48 AM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2022, 11:52 AM   #3350
Student

My niece, who's not that young nor one to feign ignorance for a laugh, had never heard of Bob Dylan until I mentioned him one day. How she managed this feat is beyond me.
Old 24th March 2022, 02:49 PM   #3351
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

When I saw "905", I thought ah ha, a Fellow Ontarian! 905 is an area code for the chunk of of Canada I live in.

But welcome anyway.

About 1970 a friend of mine had her apartment robbed and her Bob Dylan record stolen along with her record player. She had to spell Dylan for the PC she reported the incident to. He asked is that spelt "D i l l o n"?

Plus ça change.
Old 24th March 2022, 02:53 PM   #3352
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Is "dasmiller" a Who reference?
Old 24th March 2022, 04:01 PM   #3353
dasmiller

nah, I think I've posted the (not terribly interesting) story behind the name elsewhere.
Old 24th March 2022, 08:57 PM   #3354
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think there's a thread somewhere inviting people to explain their user name and/or avatar.
Old 25th March 2022, 12:49 AM   #3355
Student

I chose 905 because one of the verses wore a groove into my head way back when:

Everything I do's been done before
Ev'ry sentence in my head
Someone else has said

It comes to mind whenever I'm working on something. Can't say it helps with writer's block.

Last edited by 905; 25th March 2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 27th March 2022, 06:10 AM   #3356
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I was fortunate enough to shake hands with The Who's second drummer a couple of weeks ago.
Very tenuous connection, I know someone who was, until recently, a very good Keith Moon style drummer in a Who tribute band, who is a freelance millwright.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 07:31 AM   #3357
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Very tenuous connection, I know someone who was, until recently, a very good Keith Moon style drummer in a Who tribute band, who is a freelance millwright.
I was thinking something like that might be behind "dasmiller" specifically him being a guitarist that imitated Townshend's windmill guitar strums. Perhaps dasmiller can retcon what his handle means.
Old 27th March 2022, 09:07 AM   #3358
dasmiller

I was thinking something like that might be behind "dasmiller" specifically him being a guitarist that imitated Townshend's windmill guitar strums. Perhaps dasmiller can retcon what his handle means.
Let's see, the 'da' could be for Daltrey, I like the 'mill' for windmill, but I kinda need the m for Moon. Hmmm . . .
Old 27th March 2022, 12:15 PM   #3359
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
When I saw "905", I thought ah ha, a Fellow Ontarian! 905 is an area code for the chunk of of Canada I live in.

But welcome anyway.

About 1970 a friend of mine had her apartment robbed and her Bob Dylan record stolen along with her record player. She had to spell Dylan for the PC she reported the incident to. He asked is that spelt "D i l l o n"?

Plus ça change.
First thing that came to my mind was a St. Louis area Liquor stores from the 70's...

https://bygonebrand.com/products/905-beer-tee

Last edited by Mike!; 27th March 2022 at 12:16 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2022, 04:58 AM   #3360
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

I'm not really new... I joined a long time ago but haven't been here in a while, apart from a brief visit during the US election last year.

I've been going through a trip down memory lane today, remembering the good old days of the JREF forum and 9/11 conspiracies (Click the link in my sig! I dare you!). I wish I hadn't visited "In memoriam...". So many names I remember... even the foes like Rob Balsamo!

I ended up falling down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out how this became the ISF forum. I found out years ago, but never tried untangling the web until now. Bloody hell is that a long story. I'm glad Darat stayed in the end; he deserved better than to be treated like that.

Anyway, I didn't contribute much (official "popcorn gallery" member from the 9/11 forum), so likely noone remembers me. It still brings back many memories though of fun times before the great chisms. It's really hard to process when you learn one of your idols had a very backwards attitude on acceptable behaiviour at skeptics conferences, but I digress.

So... I guess this is a post to say hello! I remember you!

Especially (and in no particular order): Darat, Lisa S, Orphia Nay, boloboffin, Gravy, kookbreaker, Oliver, Sabrina, LibraryLady, Arkan_Wolfshade, some of who are long gone from the forum, a few others I haven't mentioned who are long gone from life (RIP), and probably 1,000 others who's usernames I can't recall.

It's good to see some of you are still active.

EDIT: Wow, 1994 posts... what the heck did I say with them?

EDIT AGAIN: And Scrut! How could I forget Scrut?! Good to see you still think you're the smartest person in the room!

Shameless plug for my website:
Digging Apollo - Excavating the digital archaeology of the Apollo program.

Last edited by qarnos; 7th April 2022 at 05:15 AM. Reason: SCRUT
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!