ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Herman Cain , obituaries , presidential candidates

Old 1st August 2020, 02:12 PM   #201
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
If it was a 2 week camp, it actually sounds like a good idea. Just keep them there a bit longer maybe.
All of those age groups have less chance of dying than the flu.
Whoever brought it to camp, didnt give it to an older population.

eta:
the studies I have seen have very low transmission below 10 years old.
That would only work if everyone was sick on day 1. In real life some infected people would past it in to uninflected people over time, resetting the infectious window. Some campers will first be experiencing the infection just as they are being let out of camp.

Death is not the only serious risk. And I doubt many parents would feel assured “Well the chance of dying is less than that of the flu.” I would not send my kid to a camp if there was a siginificant chance of them catching the flu.

The transmission issue has been addressed upthread.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 04:06 PM   #202
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

However, I hope we do realize that keeping kids OUT of school is a bigger danger for society.

The virus is not the only factor here.I am positive that this virus lockdown has shaved a few years off of my own life...and i have not caught it yet.
How so?
Old 1st August 2020, 05:08 PM   #203
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Sure.

But kids transmit less. We have a lot of other country data now that shows kids in school isn't a big risk. There will be risks no matter what.
The evidence doesn't support this. In fact, there is evidence that while young people are at less danger, they in fact transmit more.

However, I hope we do realize that keeping kids OUT of school is a bigger danger for society. The virus is not the only factor here.
While I agree that the virus is not the only factor, I do not believe anyone can say that keeping kids out of school is a bigger danger. I don't think we know the answer.
Old 1st August 2020, 05:20 PM   #204
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

However, I hope we do realize that keeping kids OUT of school is a bigger danger for society. The virus is not the only factor here.

I am positive that this virus lockdown has shaved a few years off of my own life...and i have not caught it yet.
Oh this should be good...
Old 1st August 2020, 07:38 PM   #205
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
How so?
He feels like he's been inside for years.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:01 PM   #206
Matthew Best
Philosopher

But kids transmit less. We have a lot of other country data now that shows kids in school isn't a big risk.
Evidence?

Quote:
However, I hope we do realize that keeping kids OUT of school is a bigger danger for society.
Evidence? Method?

Quote:
I am positive that this virus lockdown has shaved a few years off of my own life...and i have not caught it yet.
How did you work this out?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:14 PM   #207
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Interestingly, here in Wales we now have negative excess deaths as it seems that a combination of better hygiene, social distancing and fewer people out and about has resulted in a significant fall in deaths once Coronavirus started to be controlled.

Seems that lockdown is adding years, not shaving them off. OTOH unchecked Coronavirus in the community will take years off your life statistically.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:49 AM   #208
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
How did you work this out?
I'm assuming that means it's been harrowing and stressful.
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:03 AM   #209
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

But kids transmit less. We have a lot of other country data now that shows kids in school isn't a big risk. There will be risks no matter what.
Depends on how prevalent the virus is in society in the first place, I suppose. But yes, the experience from Norway, too, is kids are far less likely to catch Covid, and far less likely to pass it on.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:38 AM   #210
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

There also appears to be a huge difference between the way this pandemic has been managed in Norway and in the United States. Two starkly different profiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norway New cases 08012020.jpg (39.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 08012020.jpg (41.9 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:44 AM   #211
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Interestingly, here in Wales we now have negative excess deaths as it seems that a combination of better hygiene, social distancing and fewer people out and about has resulted in a significant fall in deaths once Coronavirus started to be controlled.

Seems that lockdown is adding years, not shaving them off. OTOH unchecked Coronavirus in the community will take years off your life statistically.
This is actually due to an increase in the number of zombies.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:51 AM   #212
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Is Cain going to get the lying-in-state treatment that John McCain and Representative Lewis did?
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:08 AM   #213
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Is Cain going to get the lying-in-state treatment that John McCain and Representative Lewis did?
Quote:
Lying in state in the United States is the rare honor either authorized by a congressional resolution or approved by the congressional leadership, when permission is granted by survivors,[10] to a deceased member of government (or former member) whereby his or her remains are placed in the rotunda of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C. for public viewing. The casket is guarded by members of the armed forces. By regulation and custom, only Presidents, military commanders, and members of Congress are granted the honor of lying in state.
John McCain served in the military for 14 years and was awarded the Purple Heart, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, the Silver Star and served in Congress and the US Senate for 35 years.

John Lewis was a Freedom Rider, a Civil Rights icon and served in Congrees for 3 decades.

In contrast, Herman Cain was the CEO for Godfather's Pizza where he closed 200 restaurants and fired over a thousand employees. Yeah, that qualifies to lie in State.

Last edited by acbytesla; 2nd August 2020 at 09:05 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:55 PM   #214
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Depends on how prevalent the virus is in society in the first place, I suppose. But yes, the experience from Norway, too, is kids are far less likely to catch Covid, and far less likely to pass it on.
Are they actually less likely to catch it or just less likely to show symptoms thus not be tested?

I find it counterintuitive that kids would be less likely to pass it on as they are more likely not to take precautions. The Georgia camp case would indicate that they do transmit it to others.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:50 PM   #215
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In contrast, Herman Cain was the CEO for Godfather's Pizza where he closed 200 restaurants and fired over a thousand employees. Yeah, that qualifies to lie in State.
And sexually harassed the staff. That's gotta count for something!
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:55 PM   #216
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And sexually harassed the staff. That's gotta count for something!
You got me there. Maybe Trump can award him with the Presidential Medal.
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:48 PM   #217
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The decision to begin reopening schools in Norway this past May was apparently not without controversy. Many parents would have preferred they stay closed. Below is a quote from Medical X Press
Quote:
Norwegian children who have returned to classrooms and nurseries have done so under strict new health guidelines. Children must be kept in small groups that do not physically interact with each other, physical distancing measures have been introduced and hygiene is stressed. link to article
A major difference is, by mid-May when Norway was reopening schools, they had already succeeded in 'flattening the curve.' If the United States had gotten the same results I'm sure more people would be in favor of opening schools. Well, everybody's in favor of it, the question is how? I have read the comments from school administrators. Norway kept children in small groups and enforced social distancing. Many U.S. school systems are too crowded to be able to do that. It's easy for someone with no role to play to insist, 'They should open the schools!' It's different when you're part of the staff that has to decide how to do it safely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norway New cases 08012020.jpg (39.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 08012020.jpg (41.9 KB, 3 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:38 AM   #218
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The decision to begin reopening schools in Norway this past May was apparently not without controversy. Many parents would have preferred they stay closed. Below is a quote from Medical X Press

A major difference is, by mid-May when Norway was reopening schools, they had already succeeded in 'flattening the curve.' If the United States had gotten the same results I'm sure more people would be in favor of opening schools. Well, everybody's in favor of it, the question is how? I have read the comments from school administrators. Norway kept children in small groups and enforced social distancing. Many U.S. school systems are too crowded to be able to do that. It's easy for someone with no role to play to insist, 'They should open the schools!' It's different when you're part of the staff that has to decide how to do it safely.
Exactly!

Given we know children can be infected and can infect others I cannot imagine a more efficient way to spread the disease throughout the whole population than to reopen physical schools. Have hundreds and thousands of kids from different families come together in one school every day, in close quarters, then send them back to their respective families breeding whatever viruses they may have exchanged there.

The fact that young children tend to have minor symptoms, if any, makes it worse! They may spread the disease extensively before anyone knows what is going on. The lack of close attention to personal hygiene by most young children is a further problem. I find it hard to believe a 7 year old will consistently and properly wear a mask, wash their hands, maintain social distancing, etc.

I fully understand the factors pushing toward school reopening. But given the current infectious rate in the USA, and the lack of the extensive resources at schools needed to reopen safely, the current proposals will inevitably lead to a disaster. It is just epidemiology 101 and simple math.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 03:14 AM   #219
dann
Penultimate Amazing

This is what happened in in a local flare up Denmark when schools reopened, cautiously, after the virus had been hammered down and the 'dance' had begun:
Quote:
Hjørring Kommune hårdt ramt
De seneste uger har Hjørring Kommune været hårdt ramt af coronavirus.
På plejehjemmet Vendelbocentret er 41 ansatte og beboere konstateret smittet med virusset. Flere er dog efterfølgende blevet erklæret raske, dog er tre beboere døde, mens de har været smittet med virusset.
Derudover blev der fundet virus blandt elever på tre forskellige skoler
Tredje minkfarm i Nordjylland ramt af corona (DR.dk, July 1, 2020)
Hjørring Municipality impacted hard
In recent weeks, Hjørring Municipality has been impacted hard by coronavirus.
At the nursing home Vendelsbocentre, 41 employees and residents have been tested positive for the virus.
Several have been declared cured since then, but three residents died while infected.
In addition to this, in three different schools the virus was found in students.
A third minkfarm in Northern Jutland hit by corona

ETA: Hiliting of the sentence about the nursing home because of the next post, 220.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 4th August 2020 at 03:33 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 03:31 AM   #220
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Show us that data, please!

Quote:

Jokes aside, that was the argument I heard from Swedes. I haven't heard any stories from Denmark about children being put in any "bigger danger" because of the weeks they spent in lockdown. If you are thinking of all the children in the USA who depend on the meals they get at school, that is a disgrace in and of itself that should (and could) be taken care of with or without a pandemic.

Quote:
Protect the elderly and those with health conditions. Let everyone else go on with reasonable safety measures.

The way to protect the elderly is to hammer down the virus. As soon as the virus is allowed to spread, it gets into nursing homes. How do you imagine the elderly can be protected otherwise? Some things can be done to make it a little less likely for asymptomatic employees at nursing homes to bring the virus into the facilities, but they would have to take the same precautions as they do to protect the frail old guy in the White House, i.e. everybody tested all the time, including the random tests that have now been introduced.
Do you think they will? (Herman Cain might have been safe if they had allowed him to stay as a resident at the White House.)

ETA: Seen post 219 about the Danish nursing home.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 4th August 2020 at 03:37 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 03:44 AM   #221
dann
Penultimate Amazing

eta: the studies I have seen have very low transmission below 10 years old.

In addition to the studies I linked to in post 192, you should take a look at these, too!
Old 4th August 2020, 07:56 AM   #222
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs up

Reopening schools in Israel was also a huge disaster
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...gtype=Homepage

Sure the severity of the disease does appear to be much less in young children, although it can be very serious, even deadly in this population. But more and more data indicates that it does infect children at a high rate and they can transmit it efficiently to others, including the most susceptible.
Old 4th August 2020, 07:59 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

It's a damn good thing that this virus isn't airborne Ebola, because the US would be in a much bigger pile of dung right now.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:13 AM   #224
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's a damn good thing that this virus isn't airborne Ebola, because the US would be in a much bigger pile of dung right now.

That is what scares me about our response. If the next pandemic is ten times more deadly, or a hundred times more deadly, will people react with a similar degree of nonsense and lack of caution?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:27 AM   #225
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
That is what scares me about our response. If the next pandemic is ten times more deadly, or a hundred times more deadly, will people react with a similar degree of nonsense and lack of caution?
I think it all depends on who's doing the dying. If it's across the board fatal, people will be much more cautious; with this virus those that are dying are people of color, old people, the weak due to compromised immunity, fat people, you know, people that deserve it.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; 4th August 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:43 AM   #226
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Exactly!

Given we know children can be infected and can infect others I cannot imagine a more efficient way to spread the disease throughout the whole population than to reopen physical schools. Have hundreds and thousands of kids from different families come together in one school every day, in close quarters, then send them back to their respective families breeding whatever viruses they may have exchanged there.

The fact that young children tend to have minor symptoms, if any, makes it worse! They may spread the disease extensively before anyone knows what is going on. The lack of close attention to personal hygiene by most young children is a further problem. I find it hard to believe a 7 year old will consistently and properly wear a mask, wash their hands, maintain social distancing, etc.

I fully understand the factors pushing toward school reopening. But given the current infectious rate in the USA, and the lack of the extensive resources at schools needed to reopen safely, the current proposals will inevitably lead to a disaster. It is just epidemiology 101 and simple math.
I also think a factor that people may overlook is just how overcrowded U.S. schools can be compared to other countries. My girlfriend is a 5th grade teacher here in Vegas. Class sizes approaching 35-40 students are the norm. It is physically impossible to distance with that many kids.

It's remote learning here for at least the next 90 days, though.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 02:14 PM   #227
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I also think a factor that people may overlook is just how overcrowded U.S. schools can be compared to other countries. My girlfriend is a 5th grade teacher here in Vegas. Class sizes approaching 35-40 students are the norm. It is physically impossible to distance with that many kids.

Yeah, they split kindergarden groups and school classes (up to grade 4 or 5, can't remember, the rest stay closed) into smaller 'cohorts' here in Norway. Not entirely sure about exactly how. But yes, obviously a problem with larger populations, or a higher class size in general.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 02:32 PM   #228
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

These last few posts have been very enlightening and I thank all involved. A good balance from the nonstop blathering we hear from the moron currently residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump tweets
Cases up because of BIG Testing! Much of our Country is doing very well. Open the Schools!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step right up.jpg (56.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th August 2020, 03:00 PM   #229
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

Our kid's school looked at "hybrid" approach, with the kids going to school one day a week - but only 1/3 of the class at a time (1/3 on Monday, 1/3 on Wednesday, the other 1/3 on Friday), that way the kids could still get some face to face time with the teacher, but kid/classroom densities stay low.

I liked that idea, my daughter is very insecure about being on the webcam, she could use some time in person with the teacher.

But they didn't go with that plan. We'll stay in distance learning until late September and they'll reevaluate a few weeks before then.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:29 AM   #230
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Cain speaking from beyond the grave.

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Destroy the brain or remove the head, only way to safely dispatch a zombie.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:13 AM   #231
carlitos
"más divertido"

Just spitballing here – the Republican national convention could do one of those in the memorium segments like the Oscars and close it with Herman Cain where everyone stands up and claps.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 04:02 PM   #232
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Cain speaking from beyond the grave.

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Destroy the brain or remove the head, only way to safely dispatch a zombie.
Or, he briefly stopped being dead.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics