ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 12th June 2020, 11:33 AM   #681
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Archie Bunker.
Bunker-Baby?
Old 12th June 2020, 03:58 PM   #682
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Archie Bunker.
That works on so many different levels. Love it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 05:39 PM   #683
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Bunker-Baby?
I think I beat you to that one.

I'm currently going with "that mother-******* ******* Trump".
Old 12th June 2020, 11:07 PM   #684
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think I beat you to that one.

I'm currently going with "that mother-******* ******* Trump".
It occurs to me to wonder if "bunker" needs to be asterisked if it follows "mother."

Let's try it: "that mother-bunker!"

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2020, 08:27 AM   #685
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It occurs to me to wonder if "bunker" needs to be asterisked if it follows "mother."

Let's try it: "that mother-bunker!"
I like it!

In the future, of course, the worst insult you'll be able to give a politician will just be to call him a Trump.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:54 AM   #686
Cheetah
Master Poster

6B057326-63E8-47C4-85DE-245258FF1A36.jpg
Old 25th June 2020, 12:45 AM   #687
dann
Penultimate Amazing

New suggestion from Jon Stewart: Donald Swamp or Swampy Don.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 01:49 AM   #688
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

NDA Don.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 02:43 AM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Grumpy Dumpy seems significantly childish for him
Old 25th June 2020, 02:44 AM   #690
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Pestilence
Old 26th June 2020, 03:01 AM   #691
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Grumpy Dumpy seems significantly childish for him

And it alludes to The Wall. Brilliant.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 03:11 AM   #692
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I like it!

In the future, of course, the worst insult you'll be able to give a politician will just be to call him a Trump.
Wouldn’t “Trump-wannabe” be more insulting than just Trump?

I’d go with “Trump called. He says he is going to sue you for stealing his act.”

Or maybe

“If you’re going to act like Trump, at least spray that orange stuff on your face.”
Old 26th June 2020, 04:25 AM   #693
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Seth Meyers called him

The Ozark Swimming Pool of Presidents
Old 26th June 2020, 06:17 AM   #694
dann
Penultimate Amazing

What's up with Ozark? I'm not familiar with that reference.
Old 26th June 2020, 09:07 AM   #695
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Covid-19 victim number 131,012.
Old 26th June 2020, 09:15 AM   #696
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What's up with Ozark? I'm not familiar with that reference.
Over the Memorial Day weekend a viral video made the rounds of a swimming pool at the "Lake of the Ozarks" resort packed with people shoulder to shoulder despite social distancing restrictions in place, which then turned out even worse when one of the party goers later tested positive.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/202...owd-rs-vpx.cnn

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/5288079002/
Old 26th June 2020, 09:57 AM   #697
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nicknames based on whatever floated to the top of this week's news cycle probably won't age well. The best ones will play on tropes and themes with real staying power.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 12:09 PM   #698
Distracted1
Illuminator

I am sticking with the Trumpster.
this entire era of history seems likely to be remembered as a "Trumpster Fire"
Old 28th June 2020, 02:06 AM   #699
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Over the Memorial Day weekend a viral video made the rounds of a swimming pool at the "Lake of the Ozarks" resort packed with people shoulder to shoulder despite social distancing restrictions in place, which then turned out even worse when one of the party goers later tested positive.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/202...owd-rs-vpx.cnn

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/5288079002/

Oh yeah, thanks. I just don't think that it applies to Trump, who actually proves how good he might be at epidemiology if he cared about anybody but himself: He understands that without a vaccine, the best way to make sure that you don't get the virus is to have everybody tested, traced and quarantined. It's what he does at the White House while encouraging everybody else to get out there and get themselves infected as the sacrificial lambs of the economy.

So unlike the Ozark swimming pool, the White House remains the squeaky-cleanest place in the country - corona-wise.
Somebody should do something about that.
Old 28th June 2020, 02:09 AM   #700
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nicknames based on whatever floated to the top of this week's news cycle probably won't age well. The best ones will play on tropes and themes with real staying power.

Nobody hopes for Trump's nicknames to age.
Old 28th June 2020, 05:25 AM   #701
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Diaper Don is a new suggestion:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 28th June 2020, 02:35 PM   #702
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

How about The Great Pretender? It can be his theme song...especially when/if he loses in Nov.

Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretender
Pretending that I'm doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I'm lonely but no one can tell

Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I've played the game but to my real shame
You've left me to grieve all alone

Too real is this feeling of make-believe
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal
Yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughin' and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I'm not, you see
I'm wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you're still around

Too real is this feeling of make-believe
Yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughin' and gay like the clown
I seem to be what I'm not, you see
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 09:43 AM   #703
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Child-like Emperor
Old 9th July 2020, 12:14 PM   #704
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Child-like Emperor
Makes me shudder because then I think "Never Ending Story".
Old 11th July 2020, 04:57 AM   #705
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Lincoln Project has a good video out calling him Benedict Donald. It's in their video titled "Traitor".
Old 11th July 2020, 11:14 AM   #706
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

King of the Coronation.
Old 13th July 2020, 11:23 AM   #707
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm wearing makeup like a clown
Pretending Covid's not around
Old 13th July 2020, 04:28 PM   #708
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think it was TragicMonkey who used this in another thread: Orange Foolius. I like it.
Old 18th July 2020, 12:47 AM   #709
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Cheetolini
Old 25th July 2020, 06:27 AM   #710
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The cosplay president

The Queens Confederate

(Both, thanks to Tim Miller at The Bulwark.)
Old 25th July 2020, 09:14 AM   #711
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

PersonWomanManCameraTelvision in chief.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:29 AM   #712
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Impotus Americanus

(Courtesy the Lincoln Project)
Old 1st August 2020, 04:41 PM   #713
Chanakya

Chump?

Also: Just turn this around, and make Trump a word. Like this Karen thing. You want to say someone's unbelievably ignorant, very stupid, as well as entirely odious, then just call them a Trump.

Although that might be rough on other Trumps. Are there many of those around, other than Chump's brood?
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 05:43 PM   #714
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's not really a nickname. But when I hear him talk all I can think of is Otto.

That is Otto from A Fish called Wanda.

Trump is so much like that character. Both are the epitome of the Ugly American. They are both overly patriotic with absolutely no understanding of our principles. They are both bullies. And both think they are intellectuals, even though both are in fact stupid beyond belief.

But Otto was funnier.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:15 PM   #715
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The Greatest Pretender.

The Great Pretender was James II, who claimed to be the legitimate monarch. When Biden wins the election Trump will claim to be the legitimate President, hence Great Pretender. But this is Trump, so Greatest Pretender.

This benefits from the change in meaning of "pretend" since Stuart days. Back then it meant to put forward a claim (from Latin pre and tendere), but over time it has taken on the meaning of a deceptiive claim.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:07 PM   #716
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suggested the Great Pretender quite some time ago based on the song.

Oh yes I'm the great pretender (ooh ooh)
Pretending I'm doing well (ooh ooh)
My need is such I pretend too much
I'm lonely but no one can tell
Oh yes I'm the great pretender (ooh ooh)
Adrift in a world of my own (ooh ooh)
I play the game but to my real shame
You've left me to dream all alone
Too real is this feeling of make believe
Ooh ooh yes I'm the great pretender (ooh ooh)
Just laughing and gay like a clown (ooh ooh)
I seem to be what I'm not (you see)
Yeah ooh…
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:09 AM   #717
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Chump?

Also: Just turn this around, and make Trump a word. Like this Karen thing. You want to say someone's unbelievably ignorant, very stupid, as well as entirely odious, then just call them a Trump.

Although that might be rough on other Trumps. Are there many of those around, other than Chump's brood?

I've been pointing out from the very beginning of this thread that Trump has been doing far more to turn his own name into a pejorative than anyone else could by trying to devise a nickname to ridicule him with.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:50 AM   #718
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I've been pointing out from the very beginning of this thread that Trump has been doing far more to turn his own name into a pejorative than anyone else could by trying to devise a nickname to ridicule him with.
Absolutely. I've been using "Trumpian" as both an adjective and an adverb. Like the F-word, it can be used in an almost unlimited way...and none of it positive.
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:33 PM   #719
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Absolutely. I've been using "Trumpian" as both an adjective and an adverb. Like the F-word, it can be used in an almost unlimited way...and none of it positive.
"Trumpian" as an adverb? I'm not seeing it. Can you give an example of its use in a sentence?

"He campaigned in a Trumpian style." No, that's an adjective: "trumpian style".

"He campaigned Trumpianly." Okay, that's an adverb, but... "trumpianly"? You've really been saying "trumpianly"?

May I recommend "trumpistically"? Or "trumpetically"?

Or what about "trumpesque"? Connotes "grotesque", which seems like a desirable feature.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:40 PM   #720
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Trumpian" as an adverb? I'm not seeing it. Can you give an example of its use in a sentence?

"He campaigned in a Trumpian style." No, that's an adjective: "trumpian style".

"He campaigned Trumpianly." Okay, that's an adverb, but... "trumpianly"? You've really been saying "trumpianly"?

May I recommend "trumpistically"? Or "trumpetically"?

Or what about "trumpesque"? Connotes "grotesque", which seems like a desirable feature.
Oooooooh....you got me! Well done. That's a truly prestigian nitpick. Score one for you. No, let's give you two !

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics