ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 31st July 2020, 09:04 AM   #1241
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Dave Weigel (WAPO) on Twitter:

"I half think that Trump’s talk about mail voting is having a Streisand Effect, as scared liberals who may have just mailed the ballots google about drop boxes and make more robust voting plans.

The biggest mail ballot problem for *campaigns* (as opposed to state officials who do the count) is educating voters on how not to screw up. And hey here’s a 48-hour news cycle about mail voting."

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/statu...28293653196801
Old 31st July 2020, 10:32 AM   #1242
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is that in Washington?

What Trump doesn't seem to get is that the States can pretty much run their elections any way they want and the Feds have little say in the matter. But of course that won't stop Trump from ranting about it. That said, his ranting could keep States that have GOP governors from implementing vote by mail.
As Stacy notes, yes, Port Townsend. They also have a drive-up box behind the courthouse which I used a couple of days ago. The courthouse itself might not be open to the public without an appointment. It wasn't a couple of months ago when I had to renew an overlooked car license.

Yes, the states run the elections. What I expect we'll see is multiple lawsuits by the Republicans aimed at interfering with the process, especially mail voting, and most especially against mail voting in states that hadn't previously been doing it. If they can get a Trump-appointed Federal Judge to issue an injunction a week before the election they'll be in like Flynn.

And of course, they'll be filing lots of suits after the elections to overturn results as well. At least 4/9 of the Supreme Court can be reliably counted on to support any Republican challenge to fair elections.
Old 31st July 2020, 10:49 AM   #1243
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As Stacy notes, yes, Port Townsend. They also have a drive-up box behind the courthouse which I used a couple of days ago. The courthouse itself might not be open to the public without an appointment. It wasn't a couple of months ago when I had to renew an overlooked car license.

Yes, the states run the elections. What I expect we'll see is multiple lawsuits by the Republicans aimed at interfering with the process, especially mail voting, and most especially against mail voting in states that hadn't previously been doing it. If they can get a Trump-appointed Federal Judge to issue an injunction a week before the election they'll be in like Flynn.

And of course, they'll be filing lots of suits after the elections to overturn results as well. At least 4/9 of the Supreme Court can be reliably counted on to support any Republican challenge to fair elections.
Port Townsend is nice. I have a friend who lives in Sequim.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:06 PM   #1244
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Do you think that if the Dems win the Presidency and Senate that there will be a push for some kind of voting reform? Standards for polling places/population, automatic registration, etc. I was reading a 2 year old article on WaPo about the Texas Voter ID law and how it affected minorities and the elderly, and it was pretty ****** what people were having to do in order to get to vote.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:46 PM   #1245
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Dropped my primary ballot off today, drop box at the library. Easy peasy.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:39 PM   #1246
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Do you think that if the Dems win the Presidency and Senate that there will be a push for some kind of voting reform? Standards for polling places/population, automatic registration, etc. I was reading a 2 year old article on WaPo about the Texas Voter ID law and how it affected minorities and the elderly, and it was pretty ****** what people were having to do in order to get to vote.
Joe Biden's former boss(-ish) just said this at John Lewis' funeral:
Quote:
“Once we pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, we should keep marching to make it even better,” said Obama, “by making sure every American is automatically registered to vote, including former inmates who have earned their second chance.

“By adding polling places and expanding early voting and making Election Day a national holiday. So if you are somebody who is working in a factory or you’re a single mom who’s got to go to her job and doesn’t get time off, you can still cast your ballot,” Obama continued.

“By guaranteeing that every American citizen has equal representation in our government, including the American citizens who live in Washington, D.C., and in Puerto Rico; they’re also Americans. By ending some of the partisan gerrymandering, so that all voters have the power to choose their politicians, and not the other way around,” said Obama.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:42 PM   #1247
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I like what that guy is saying. He should run for president.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 02:04 PM   #1248
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/p...ate/index.html

They show this Karen Bass lady, as potential VP. Very likeable lady, any more info on her ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 03:32 PM   #1249
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Port Townsend is nice. I have a friend who lives in Sequim.
Unofficial Motto of PT: We're all here because we aren't all there. About a third of the population is stuck in the 60's, even though they weren't born yet.
Sequim is nice too. This guy is rebuilding an old boat there. I wish I'd stopped by before the pandemic hit.
Port Angeles, however, is a bit of a dump.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Dropped my primary ballot off today, drop box at the library. Easy peasy.
Did you wear different hats to drop off the other twenty or thirty?
Old 31st July 2020, 04:40 PM   #1250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Did you wear different hats to drop off the other twenty or thirty?
Not yet, waiting for all those copies Putin is sending.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:57 PM   #1251
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post

They show this Karen Bass lady, as potential VP. Very likeable lady, any more info on her ?
Useless horse racing to bait clicks. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but not even the Democrats would be dumb enough to have someone named "Karen" as VP.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:37 AM   #1252
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post

She is a good choice...but she is from California which is almost single-handedly the reason for democrats winning the popular vote- plus millions. CA is a locked in blue state.

Usually the VP is from an electorate area that needs some extra enthusiasm but perhaps her other attributes make up for that.

I like her.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 07:13 AM   #1253
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Useless horse racing to bait clicks. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but not even the Democrats would be dumb enough to have someone named "Karen" as VP.
I assume that's tongue in cheek. I too thought it was a funny coincidence that she happened to be named Karen, and it might be good for a few laughs, but I don't think anyone will seriously hold that against her. They may have other reasons, but her first name is a non-issue.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:38 AM   #1254
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
“Once we pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, we should keep marching to make it even better,” said Obama, “by making sure every American is automatically registered to vote, including former inmates who have earned their second chance.

“By adding polling places and expanding early voting and making Election Day a national holiday. So if you are somebody who is working in a factory or you’re a single mom who’s got to go to her job and doesn’t get time off, you can still cast your ballot,” Obama continued.

“By guaranteeing that every American citizen has equal representation in our government, including the American citizens who live in Washington, D.C., and in Puerto Rico; they’re also Americans. By ending some of the partisan gerrymandering, so that all voters have the power to choose their politicians, and not the other way around,” said Obama.
Damn lib'ral! I bet he even supports wimmen votin'!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:48 AM   #1255
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I assume that's tongue in cheek. I too thought it was a funny coincidence that she happened to be named Karen, and it might be good for a few laughs, but I don't think anyone will seriously hold that against her. They may have other reasons, but her first name is a non-issue.
Nope. If you're trying to run on an unflavored oatmeal campaign you don't put brown sugar on top. It *should* be a non-issue, but since the GOP's got nothing else it will be brought up over and over until the average Fox News viewer sees her as much of a laughingstock as Trump is, then votes for him because "I'd rather have a Mike than a Karen."

It's very similar to my objection to Kamala Harris over her history in the justice system. VP is such a meaningless choice that opening your campaign to easy criticism over trivial non-issues is just an unforced error.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:54 AM   #1256
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think the VP choice is more important in this election than usual due to the very probable fact that Biden will be a one term prez due to his age. If things go well during his term, it would be very likely his VP would run for the top spot in 2024.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 01:39 PM   #1257
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
She is a good choice...but she is from California which is almost single-handedly the reason for democrats winning the popular vote- plus millions. CA is a locked in blue state.

Usually the VP is from an electorate area that needs some extra enthusiasm but perhaps her other attributes make up for that.

I like her.

A real Karen Bass problem is that she volunteered for a work brigade in Cuba in 1973. It would be unfair for Repubs to try to use that against her, but who said Repubs are fair?
Quote:
But she’s also the only person on Biden’s list who spent part of the 1970s working construction in Fidel Castro’s Cuba with the Venceremos Brigade, a group that has organized annual trips to Cuba for young, leftist Americans for half a century.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rigade/614662/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 01:42 PM   #1258
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A vote against Susan Rice:
Quote:
Most people in politics have sharp elbows, and women often get held to an unfair standard. Even so, the ill will Rice has generated is exceptional. Her f-bombs are legend, to allies at the United Nations, to U.S. diplomats and to administration colleagues. She famously flipped the bird at Richard Holbrooke, told France’s U.N. ambassador that “you’re not going to drag us into your s---ty war” and drew complaints of disrespect from allies on the U.N. Security Council. She gives as good as she gets from Trump, asking on Twitter last Sunday if he “can’t get it up and over the plate” after he said he wouldn’t throw out a first pitch.

In 2012, I wrote a column about the extraordinary resistance to her potential nomination to be secretary of state and the “impressive array of enemies” she had amassed at the State Department and on Capitol Hill. I noted that “there likely aren’t enough Republican or Democratic votes in the Senate to confirm her.” There weren’t, and she withdrew from consideration.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...htning-rod-vp/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 01:45 PM   #1259
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think the VP choice is more important in this election than usual due to the very probable fact that Biden will be a one term prez due to his age. If things go well during his term, it would be very likely his VP would run for the top spot in 2024.
The other side of that is that Biden would want someone as VP who would help and support him, instead of maneuvering to get ahead in the next election.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:58 PM   #1260
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/01/p...ess/index.html

The Republican convention will be closed to the press. It's like Trump just doesn't even want to win.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:12 PM   #1261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The other side of that is that Biden would want someone as VP who would help and support him, instead of maneuvering to get ahead in the next election.
I think those are the same thing. Help and support Biden to do well during his presidency and it will automatically get the VP ahead in the next election. A VP generally rides on the coat tails of his Prez.
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:11 AM   #1262
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Because ushering in an anointed candidate who's been groomed for the position for years has worked out so well in the recent past.
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:33 AM   #1263
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/01/p...ess/index.html

The Republican convention will be closed to the press. It's like Trump just doesn't even want to win.
With the state of the nation right now, wanting to be President seems like wanting to be the captain of the Titanic after the iceberg incident.
The opportunity to do some good is there- but one is most likely going down with the ship.
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:47 PM   #1264
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Because ushering in an anointed candidate who's been groomed for the position for years has worked out so well in the recent past.
And bringing in a complete novice who doesn't know a damn thing has really worked out well in the present.
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:27 PM   #1265
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
With the state of the nation right now, wanting to be President seems like wanting to be the captain of the Titanic after the iceberg incident.
The opportunity to do some good is there- but one is most likely going down with the ship.
Given that we don't know for sure that the ship is going down, doesn't it make sense to do everything you can in order that the ship doesn't sink? Or that the fewest people drown even if the ship does sink?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:44 PM   #1266
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Given that we don't know for sure that the ship is going down, doesn't it make sense to do everything you can in order that the ship doesn't sink? Or that the fewest people drown even if the ship does sink?
I don't think there could be a better time to become President
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:29 PM   #1267
Paul2
Philosopher

It seems that election results travel from the individual states to the Congress. Has anyone heard anything - even hypothetically or fascistically - that would indicate Barr and the Justice Department could intrude into that process?

Old 2nd August 2020, 05:48 PM   #1268
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that election results travel from the individual states to the Congress. Has anyone heard anything - even hypothetically or fascistically - that would indicate Barr and the Justice Department could intrude into that process?
I can't imagine how. IIRC, the Supreme Court just put the kaibosh on faithless electors. The process is mostly a formality then anything else.
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:23 PM   #1269
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Actually I would say the state of the nation makes it an optimum time to be president.

Covid18 is a problem, but there will likely be a vaccine available in the next couple of years. The economy is down, but it will rebound if/when Covid-19 is handled. If Biden wins in 2020 he could look like a hero even if he did the bare minimum. (All he would have to do is listen to experts and not mess up too much. Granted that is more than trump could do.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:31 PM   #1270
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I recommend a thorough deckchair relocation program be put into effect immediately!
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:49 PM   #1271
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think Hillary is seeing the silver lining in losing the election. Granted, she'd have handled things VERY differently than Trump, but by not being prez, she didn't have to.
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:59 PM   #1272
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think Hillary is seeing the silver lining in losing the election. Granted, she'd have handled things VERY differently than Trump, but by not being prez, she didn't have to.
I think she is probably tortured by it. Contrary to the monster that lacked people and leadership skills that she was made out to be, she was in fact liked by Senators on both sides of the aisle.

Hillary lived to lead. Not having the opportunity to lead the country through the greatest challenge that this country has faced since WW2 is almost certainly a regret. Whether Hillary would have risen to the occasion is debatable although I believe she would have.

The one thing I do believe is she would have wanted to have the ball in her hands when it matters.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:55 PM   #1273
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think she is probably tortured by it. Contrary to the monster that lacked people and leadership skills that she was made out to be, she was in fact liked by Senators on both sides of the aisle.

Hillary lived to lead. Not having the opportunity to lead the country through the greatest challenge that this country has faced since WW2 is almost certainly a regret. Whether Hillary would have risen to the occasion is debatable although I believe she would have.

The one thing I do believe is she would have wanted to have the ball in her hands when it matters.
Possibly. Unlike so many who fell for the GOP crap, I both like and respect HRC. I think she would have made an excellent president. It's a pity so the electoral college robbed her of the office and so many idiots fell for Trump's crap.
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:24 AM   #1274
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I recommend a thorough deckchair relocation program be put into effect immediately!

To quote the Cake song "Sinking Ship":

"And if your people are the best
Tell me why are you wearing a vest"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:46 AM   #1275
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Actually I would say the state of the nation makes it an optimum time to be president.

Covid18 is a problem, but there will likely be a vaccine available in the next couple of years. The economy is down, but it will rebound if/when Covid-19 is handled. If Biden wins in 2020 he could look like a hero even if he did the bare minimum. (All he would have to do is listen to experts and not mess up too much. Granted that is more than trump could do.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
I hope so, but honestly don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:48 AM   #1276
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I don't think there could be a better time to become President
It's certainly not a hard act to follow.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:55 AM   #1277
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's certainly not a hard act to follow.
But is is going to be a very hard mess to clean up.
Old 4th August 2020, 02:19 PM   #1278
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm so happy right now. The Axios interview was masterful. The "It is what it is" quote is a beautiful thing. It's not being used entirely in context but it's Trump so that's okay.
Old 4th August 2020, 02:32 PM   #1279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm so happy right now. The Axios interview was masterful. The "It is what it is" quote is a beautiful thing. It's not being used entirely in context but it's Trump so that's okay.
It truly was a disastrous interview. I think my favorite parts were these:

Quote:
TRUMP: “When I took over we didn’t even have a test”

SWAN: “Why would you have a test? The virus didn’t exist.”

TRUMP: "... many of those tests are now obsolete. It's called science."
Quote:
Trump: There are those that say you can test too much. You do know that.

Swan: Who says that?

Trump: Just read the manuals. Read the books. Read the books.

Swan: Manuals? What manuals? What books?
Quote:
Swan: You're doing death as a proportion of cases. I'm talking about death as a proportion of population. That's where the US is really bad. Much worse than South Korea, Germany, et cetera.

Trump: You can't do that.

Swan: Why can't I do that?

Trump: You have to go by the cases.

Swan: … Well look at South Korea, for example: 51 million population. 300 deaths. It's crazy.

Trump: You don't know that. You don't know that.

Swan: You think they're faking their statistics? South Korea? An advanced country?

Trump: I won't get into that because I have a very good relationship with the country. But you don't know that.
Quote:
Swan: Do you believe, though, Mr. President, that many police treat Black people differently from white people?

Trump: Well, I hope not. I hope not. Certainly, the knee on the neck was a disgrace.

Swan: What does systemic racism mean to you?

Trump: Does anybody really answer that question accurately? Does anybody really know?

Swan: But what about not hope? What about analysis? What's your coldhearted view of it?

Trump: I have seen where there is a difference and I don't want there to be a difference. I don't like that there would be a difference. But with that being said, police have killed white people in a larger number.

Swan: But why do you think Black men are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men?

Trump: That I don't know. But I don't like it. Why? I don't know why. But I don't like it.
Old 4th August 2020, 02:50 PM   #1280
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm calling it right now. Biden wins in November. Mark Kelly follows the Obama plan and runs and wins in 2024 after only 4 years in the Senate.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics