ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 1st August 2020, 07:13 PM   #801
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
...I was surprised that some Indiana schools are already open. Those poor kids are starting in the middle of summer.
First the Republicans pushed to have Red states reopen ahead of medical recommendations and now those states are seeing big increases in new cases. Now it's the schools. This is absolute madness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IN New cases 07292020.jpg (46.6 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:16 AM   #802
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-into-thin-air
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:28 AM   #803
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well that backfired real quick, didn't it.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:32 AM   #804
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yeah... I poked at that on the general Trump Presidency thread, but... ugh.

It's probably well worth pointing anyone who complains about how "both sides" are politicizing COVID towards that, either way. We literally have the Trump side choosing not to respond because blue states were getting hurt more as part of a political strategy. Meanwhile, the Democrats are calling Trump and co out on how their actions have intentionally lead us to massive and largely preventable damage and death. Anyone who tries to equate the two is either really not paying attention in a remotely objective manner or is pushing an agenda.

When it comes to COVID... It's a depressingly stark contrast - Trump Republicans try to endanger people and kill for political gain. Democrats try to help people and save lives, with any political gain being a nice bonus.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd August 2020 at 01:35 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:37 AM   #805
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dailykos
Trump killed plans for a national testing strategy, because COVID-19 'hit blue states hardest'
This is prime attack ad material. Not just 'the Trump virus' as in 'the virus Trump ignored'. The virus Trump weaponised against the people of blue states. I hope everyone from the Dems to the Lincoln Project use this for all it's worth.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:07 AM   #806
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
This is prime attack ad material. Not just 'the Trump virus' as in 'the virus Trump ignored'. The virus Trump weaponised against the people of blue states. I hope everyone from the Dems to the Lincoln Project use this for all it's worth.
This is quite good - slightly different style to most Lincoln Project adverts - because it's from different people.

https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/st...272370178?s=20

ETA: Youtube link

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 2nd August 2020 at 05:12 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:11 AM   #807
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Quote:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-into-thin-air
It's absolutely horrendous anyone -- much less the president of the United States -- would do this. Or support it. Allow the virus to spread, sickening people and killing some of them, as partisan political strategy.

I understand the trumpites enjoy trolling people they disagree with politically -- libtards -- but they're actually okay with killing some of us, too? How can this be? Look what they're doing to this country. They're destroying it.

People try and rationalize this. 'Oh, the same thing is happening in the UK. Boris Johnson.' Think so?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US New cases 08012020.jpg (41.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg UK New cases 08012020.jpg (43.9 KB, 8 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:36 AM   #808
Lurch
Graduate Poster

The US really is in a class of its own. You could say that a low level civil war is underway.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:57 AM   #809
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

It seems to be in a kind of cold civil war already.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:50 AM   #810
Aridas

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I understand the trumpites enjoy trolling people they disagree with politically -- libtards -- but they're actually okay with killing some of us, too? How can this be?
See the Dark Triad - Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy. Those who self-identify as "conservatives" tend to score much higher for those traits than self-identified "liberals," either way. That such people are much more likely to act to hurt everyone, so long as they end up comparatively better, has been rather integral to "conservative" thought, though especially since conservatives pointedly courted the racist vote.

Look what they're doing to this country. They're destroying it.
Well, yeah? That sorta is the legacy of people as corrupt and greedy as the current people in charge.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd August 2020 at 07:53 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:44 AM   #811
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
See the Dark Triad - Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy. Those who self-identify as "conservatives" tend to score much higher for those traits than self-identified "liberals," either way. That such people are much more likely to act to hurt everyone, so long as they end up comparatively better, has been rather integral to "conservative" thought, though especially since conservatives pointedly courted the racist vote.
Fundamentally, liberals and progressives see all people as having certain basic rights, and the government as having certain core obligations. "Conservatives" divide the world into "them" and "us," and the "us" is entitled to take anything it can get from and do anything it wants to the "them."

Last edited by Bob001; 2nd August 2020 at 08:46 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:09 AM   #812
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I used this link because the title of the url tickled me.

Quote:
Around 200 boats filled with people showed up for the 10th annual White Trash Bash. While law enforcement officers were concerned about the spread of COVID-19, they say there’s not much they can do.

Perfect temperatures and perfect river levels meant a big turnout for the annual White Trash Bash. Around 500 people gathered in an alcove along the Illinois River. Director of Fon Du Lac Park District Mike Johnson said he expected a large crowd.

“We encourage them to practice social distancing,” Johnson said. “I don’t know how likely that’s going to be in this environment.”
Central Illinois might be proud, but of what I'm not sure.

Quote:
The all-day party consists of drinking, socializing and partying as a large group. Daniel Murphy was ready to get the party started.

“I’m just ready to tear it down,” Murphy said.

This was Murphy’s first ever event and said he and his friends are ready to have a good time with each other and hundreds of others.

Murphy and his friends say they aren’t concerned about potentially catching the virus in the large group of people.

“Definitely not,” Murphy said. “Not at all.”
Because that worked out well for those spring-breakers.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:30 AM   #813
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well, yeah? That sorta is the legacy of people as corrupt and greedy as the current people in charge.
Slight Derail: I've always seen this as terribly unfair to Machiavelli. It takes the "Prince" completely out of the time and place it was written. It's not as if Machiavelli made Renaissance Italian politics the contact sport that it was.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:33 AM   #814
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I heard a sponsorship ad on NPR this morning from the Museum of the Bible here in DC. They're offering free admission to all health care workers. Perhaps the stupid mother ******* could support health care workers better by keeping their damn doors shut and not inviting people somewhere that spread of the virus is likely. I suspect most health care workers would prefer that.
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:17 AM   #815
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
...I was surprised that some Indiana schools are already open. Those poor kids are starting in the middle of summer.
I see both sides of the 'reopen the schools' debate (at least the sides that debate it rationally), but schools that reopen WILL have problems. From a New York Times article published yesterday:
Quote:
One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected? Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus. Administrators began an emergency protocol, isolating the student and ordering everyone who had come into close contact with the person, including other students, to quarantine for 14 days. It is unclear whether the student infected anyone else.

To avoid the same scenario, hundreds of districts across the country that were once planning to reopen their classrooms, many on a part-time basis, have reversed course in recent weeks as infections have spiked in many states. Those that do still reopen are having to prepare for the near-certain likelihood of quarantines and abrupt shutdowns when students and staff members test positive. Times link
The argument for reopening schools anyway, usually runs, 'Only the elderly and people who have a preexisting condition are at risk, why penalize the rest of us?' Only the elderly and people with preexisting conditions are at risk? Risk of what, dying? In other words, no matter how sick you get, so long as you don't die you got nothing to complain about? That doesn't work for most people, especially the ones who are parents.

The other part is, 'Keeping kids away from the classroom is damaging.' True but how long do we expect this pandemic to last? This is a once-in-a-hundred-years event. Vaccines are on the horizon. This is a greater good issue, isn't it? Oddly, this sentiment -- keeping kids away from the classroom is damaging -- is seldom heard in the context of 'home schooling.' If it were maybe I'd find it a bit more credible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IN New cases 08012020.jpg (47.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:14 PM   #816
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I heard a sponsorship ad on NPR this morning from the Museum of the Bible here in DC. They're offering free admission to all health care workers. Perhaps the stupid mother ******* could support health care workers better by keeping their damn doors shut and not inviting people somewhere that spread of the virus is likely. I suspect most health care workers would prefer that.
I dunno. I would think museums would be better able to enforce mask requirements and distancing than, say, Home Depot or Safeway. I'd like to see the museums start to reopen just to give people who are locked up at home a place to go.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:54 PM   #817
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

A place to congregate, a place to mingle, a place to come together...
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:58 PM   #818
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
There's a museum of the Bible? What could the exhibits be?
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:06 PM   #819
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There's a museum of the Bible? What could the exhibits be?
Really? Mostly artifacts and exhibits about the historical impact of the bible. They've even had to return some items as stolen, and others have turned out to be fakes.
https://museumofthebible.org/?utm_so...n=museum-bible
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/87758...ean-up-its-act
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:40 PM   #820
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I dunno. I would think museums would be better able to enforce mask requirements and distancing than, say, Home Depot or Safeway. I'd like to see the museums start to reopen just to give people who are locked up at home a place to go.
The Safeway and Home Depot seem to be doing just fine enforcing masks but we have a mandate here in Maryland. The Museum of the Bible people don't really give me a strict enforcement kind of vibe.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:10 PM   #821
Aridas

Hmm. Just because it's a little bit relevant and because I recall a couple people on ISF bringing up kids' mental health as a reason to reopen schools, I thought that a statement from this by a school counselor is worth adding to that conversation.

Quote:
I didn’t want to do this but some of y’all need to hear it.

Stop invalidating teachers feelings about their safety. Stop using child abuse, food insecurity, and mental health to do it. That is some serious misdirection.

I work for the largest district in Iowa. A majority-minority district. I have a degree in social work, a Masters in counseling, and work in an elementary school. Let me tell you about what I do when I’m at work:

I sit and listen to kids tell me about this abuse you’re talking about. Physical abuse. Sexual abuse. Mental abuse. I have heard it all, and way more times than you want to know. Some kids are telling me for the first time. The first time they’ve told anyone. Other times are “Mrs. Hogan it’s happening again.” I make multiple mandatory reports a month to a DHS that is underfunded and whose social workers have overwhelming caseloads. Before we left in March I was doing suicide assessments nearly weekly. I have taken food and clothes from my house to bring it to students. I have to be the one that calls a Mom to tell her that her child has slits all over her wrists.

And I still won’t let you use this as a reason to force teachers and students back when it’s unsafe. THIS IS NOT ON TEACHERS.

The same politicians (hey, Reynolds) that want to hurriedly reopen schools under dangerous conditions are the same ones who always want to cut down and mismanage social services, mental health services, and their funding. They’re the same politicians who have FAILED the kids in my office. Do you want us to be a community school? Cause we are already trying and it sure would be a lot easier if we had the funding to do it.

Where’s all this talk when it’s not a pandemic? You guys know what often happens to these kids and families then? I sit with a mom after school and call every single homeless shelter in the area to find something for her and there is nothing. I listen to a mom cry after the mental health unit tells her there’s no bed for her child in crisis. And when she asks them and me what to do now, there’s no answer for her. Iowa is one of the worst states for mental health services in the country.

Do not come at teachers and schools. Their job is to educate. Mine is to help these kids and families and I’ll do home visits if I can, I will do my best to connect them with the resources they need and I know my colleagues will too.

The real problem is there are not adequate resources, even if we are in school. Not even close. COME AT YOUR GOVERNMENT FOR THAT. And do it when the pandemic is over too.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd August 2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:31 PM   #822
Aridas

And... Here's something that hit me a bit hard. Not that it had much in the way of revelations, but...

What Does America’s Coronavirus Response Look Like Abroad? | NYT Opinion

It's youtube and, well... perhaps it's helpful for perspective when people like me have been stuck in this nightmare for so long that it is indeed feeling like a new normal, however much it absolutely should not be such.

I suppose that Trump may indeed be beginning to have turned lies into truth in some of the most horrible ways. While the world has laughed at the US a lot (because of Trump), pity and horror seems to be replacing laughter absurdly quickly.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd August 2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:52 PM   #823
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

And... Here's something that hit me a bit hard. Not that it had much in the way of revelations, but...

What Does America’s Coronavirus Response Look Like Abroad? | NYT Opinion

It's youtube and, well... perhaps it's helpful for perspective when people like me have been stuck in this nightmare for so long that it is indeed feeling like a new normal, however much it absolutely should not be such.

I suppose that Trump may indeed be beginning to have turned lies into truth in some of the most horrible ways. While the world has laughed at the US a lot (because of Trump), pity and horror seems to be replacing laughter absurdly quickly.
Truly embarrassing.

In case there are any youngsters in the audience, I actually can remember the days when America was great. It wasn't that long ago. Oh, there were issues. America wasn't perfect. However, we really were the country that had the strongest military, and we were the wealthiest, and we had the best health care, and the best education, and the best technology, and we were the only country that could get men to the moon.

Now, we can't get germs right.

I don't know whether Trump is a cause or a symptom. I think probably both, but it's truly embarrassing to see America fail where other countries have succeeded, or at least done better than the US. It's embarrassing to think that our level of scientific knowledge has fallen so far that politicians pander to the idiot vote, because they are a force to be reckoned with at the polls.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:06 PM   #824
Aridas

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's embarrassing to think that our level of scientific knowledge has fallen so far that politicians pander to the idiot vote, because they are a force to be reckoned with at the polls.
Is it worth adding to that that why the Republicans intentionally pander to the idiot vote currently is in fair part because they've been intentionally pursuing a larger strategy of turning as many people into those same useful idiots as possible for a very long time now?
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:14 PM   #825
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Is it worth adding to that that why the Republicans intentionally pander to the idiot vote currently is in fair part because they've been intentionally pursuing a larger strategy of turning as many people into those same useful idiots as possible for a very long time now?
It's hard to tell cause and effect, but yes.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:46 PM   #826
Planigale
Illuminator

I see both sides of the 'reopen the schools' debate (at least the sides that debate it rationally), but schools that reopen WILL have problems. From a New York Times article published yesterday:

The argument for reopening schools anyway, usually runs, 'Only the elderly and people who have a preexisting condition are at risk, why penalize the rest of us?' Only the elderly and people with preexisting conditions are at risk? Risk of what, dying? In other words, no matter how sick you get, so long as you don't die you got nothing to complain about? That doesn't work for most people, especially the ones who are parents.

The other part is, 'Keeping kids away from the classroom is damaging.' True but how long do we expect this pandemic to last? This is a once-in-a-hundred-years event. Vaccines are on the horizon. This is a greater good issue, isn't it? Oddly, this sentiment -- keeping kids away from the classroom is damaging -- is seldom heard in the context of 'home schooling.' If it were maybe I'd find it a bit more credible.
This is a wish, not a fact. The last major pandemic (HIV) is still with us and still causes a million deaths a year. The last pandemic flu event was 2009. We had a near miss with SARS. Even assuming this was a 1:100 years event it falls at random, the chance of a pandemic event in five years time will be the same as it was this year. Many experts think the risk of another pandemic event is rising. The worst mistake to make is to think we are through Covid-19 so we don't have to worry for a few decades.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:59 PM   #827
Aridas

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
This is a wish, not a fact. The last major pandemic (HIV) is still with us and still causes a million deaths a year. The last pandemic flu event was 2009. We had a near miss with SARS. Even assuming this was a 1:100 years event it falls at random, the chance of a pandemic event in five years time will be the same as it was this year. Many experts think the risk of another pandemic event is rising. The worst mistake to make is to think we are through Covid-19 so we don't have to worry for a few decades.
Add to that that, at last check, with the climate crisis, the risks of more pandemics occurring is rising, so that once in a century estimate is probably increasingly wrong as time goes on.

How Climate Change Is Contributing to Skyrocketing Rates of Infectious Disease

A catastrophic loss in biodiversity, reckless destruction of wildland and warming temperatures have allowed disease to explode. Ignoring the connection between climate change and pandemics would be “dangerous delusion,” one scientist said.
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:20 AM   #828
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know whether Trump is a cause or a symptom. I think probably both, but it's truly embarrassing to see America fail where other countries have succeeded, or at least done better than the US. It's embarrassing to think that our level of scientific knowledge has fallen so far that politicians pander to the idiot vote, because they are a force to be reckoned with at the polls.
I think he is a symptom. Throughout the Western world, the right wing have been hollowing out public services, denigrating science and casting scorn on experts as a means to "correct" the largely successful post war attempts to reduce inequality in society.

IMO after the two world wars, society as a whole was sickened by war and recognised the debt we owed to the working classes and decided to repay it by offering them a hand up though healthcare, education and opportunity.

After about 25-30 years of this the generations ticked over, the people who had fought in the war had been rewarded and people forgot the terrible effects of inequality but looked at the "costs" of addressing it and thought "meh!".

Also, we in the UK came out of the war with a real sense of community. At some point in the 1980s there was a deliberate attempt to dilute this and make it everyone for themselves. I expect something similar happened in the US.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:42 AM   #829
Aridas

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Also, we in the UK came out of the war with a real sense of community. At some point in the 1980s there was a deliberate attempt to dilute this and make it everyone for themselves. I expect something similar happened in the US.
It did. Notably more successfully, I think, as the people doing that also pointedly tapped into the widespread racism that was just barely under the surface.
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:57 AM   #830
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think he is a symptom. Throughout the Western world, the right wing have been hollowing out public services, denigrating science and casting scorn on experts as a means to "correct" the largely successful post war attempts to reduce inequality in society.

IMO after the two world wars, society as a whole was sickened by war and recognised the debt we owed to the working classes and decided to repay it by offering them a hand up though healthcare, education and opportunity.

After about 25-30 years of this the generations ticked over, the people who had fought in the war had been rewarded and people forgot the terrible effects of inequality but looked at the "costs" of addressing it and thought "meh!".

As a more general overview - I'd say the deaths amongst the "upper class" in the 1st world war left a gap that allowed more social mobility than before, this led to the likes of the Labour "grammar boys" being able to get into positions to have greater influence than previously. This "unnatural" period in British history couldn't last for long and the "rightful" class recouped their losses and have been back in overall control for the last 40 years.
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:04 AM   #831
Armitage72
Illuminator

I remember seeing a political cartoon in which a time traveling Republican went back to the 1950s to warn Ward and June Cleaver, the icons of that long lost utopia, about all of the horrible economic changes that Barack Obama would implement if he was elected. Their response was that those changes were how things already were for them.
"Corporate CEOs making 200 times the salary of their employees? The owner of the company I work for only makes about three times what I do, and he lives in a house just down the street."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:49 AM   #832
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know that it was deliberate, and I'm not sure it came exclusively from the right wing, but it certainly happened.
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:40 AM   #833
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of anti-science.

Originally Posted by Some moron on Twitter, #RealMoron....or something like that
So Crazy Nancy Pelosi said horrible things about Dr. Deborah Birx, going after her because she was too positive on the very good job we are doing on combatting the China Virus, including Vaccines & Therapeutics. In order to counter Nancy, Deborah took the bait & hit us. Pathetic!
For Trump, that's what it is. Us and Them. Now his advisors are "pathetic".

Psssst.....Donald.......The point of advisors is that they give advice. You're supposed to listen to them. You find really smart people with knowledge about an area, and ask them stuff, and then you repeat what they say. It's ok to claim credit for their advice. That's part of the game.

They aren't spokesmen. Those are the people that are paid to say what you want them to say. They don't have to be smart. McEnany (sp?) is a spokesman. See the difference?......No?......Figures.

Oh, well. It's good to see bickering. That shows that the White House under Trump is dysfunctional. Every opportunity to see that is one more opportunity to change their minds about voting. Of course, I would prefer that there was actual competence. I wish that I were here grudgingly acknowledging that Trump and his administration handled this fantastically, and the low death count means they did something right. That's what I wish I was saying.
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:22 AM   #834
Aridas

I don't know that it was deliberate, and I'm not sure it came exclusively from the right wing, but it certainly happened.
Fair enough. The deliberate part involved people like Buchanan and the Kochs, though, and being a Democrat doesn't make one categorically immune to the lure of big money donations with implicit strings attached.

For Trump, that's what it is. Us and Them.
And this statement just reminds me of, well...

"How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them" and the PBS interview about it.

Oh, well. It's good to see bickering. That shows that the White House under Trump is dysfunctional. Every opportunity to see that is one more opportunity to change their minds about voting. Of course, I would prefer that there was actual competence. I wish that I were here grudgingly acknowledging that Trump and his administration handled this fantastically, and the low death count means they did something right. That's what I wish I was saying.
And that statement, well... in one sense, it's good in an immediate sense. In another, well... continuing reminders that Trump's style of governing seems to be disturbingly similar to Hitler's is never a particularly happy thing.
Old 3rd August 2020, 04:31 PM   #835
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets-
Quote:
With the exception of New York & a few other locations, we’ve done MUCH better than most other Countries in dealing with the China Virus. Many of these countries are now having a major second wave.
I don't know what 'countries' trump is referring to -- the ones that are "now having a major second wave" -- because as usual trump never gets too specific. Many of these countries are now having a major second wave? What does dirtbag think has been happening here? What a louse. See below for the graph showing New York vs the USA as a whole.

I am so sick of this guy. November can't come soon enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY New cases 08022020.jpg (38.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 08022020.jpg (40.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 3rd August 2020, 04:59 PM   #836
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

According to the Washington Post -- in an article that's not paywalled -- some of the European countries that fear they are seeing the start of a 'second wave' of infections are Belgium, Germany and Spain. Belgium and Spain are already taking steps to limit the rise. The German government may be next.
Quote:
A spike in infections has led Belgium to ramp up restrictions on social contact, while Spain has closed gyms and nightclubs in Barcelona. Meanwhile, German health officials have called a rise in infections in the past two weeks deeply concerning. Washington Post link
Yet the rates in the three European countries compared to the U.S. look pretty good. But even at much lower levels, increases in new cases trouble the leaders in these countries and they take action. Meanwhile, in the U.S., we have a far worst surge and what does trump do? He urges schools to reopen and threatens to cut testing. Unbelievable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belgium Cases 08032020.jpg (41.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Germany cases 08032020.jpg (38.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Spain new cases 07312020.jpg (38.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 08022020.jpg (40.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 4th August 2020, 01:08 AM   #837
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1290497186489348096

Quote:
@jonathanvswan: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population. That’s where the U.S. is really bad. Much worse than South Korea, Germany, etc.”

@realdonaldtrump: “You can’t do that.”

Swan: “Why can’t I do that?”
Footage embedded in tweet. It's remarkable.

Also: https://twitter.com/Ankaman616/statu...61282316410882

Quote:
It's less useful to compare this to The Office/The Thick of It, and more useful to look at this and see the way the President is being regularly briefed with skewed statistics and he can't tell any better.

AND people still want to vote for him in November.
Old 4th August 2020, 01:15 AM   #838
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
OMFG. The man in an imbecile.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 01:31 AM   #839
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There are some good bits transcribed here for people who prefer reading to watching:
news.com.au piece on car crash interview

I like the bit where he says ‘we’re lower than the world’.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 4th August 2020 at 01:46 AM.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 02:32 AM   #840
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

One reality that comes through loud and clear is-
Quote:
  • Swan: They love you, they listen to you, they listen to every word you say. They hang on to your every word. They don’t listen to me, or the media, or Fauci, they think we’re fake news. They want to get their advice from you. And so when they hear you say, ‘Everything’s under control, don’t worry about wearing masks,’ these are people – many of them are older people, Mr President. It’s giving them a false sense of security.”
  • Trump: “Well what’s your definition of control? Under the circumstances, right now, I think it’s under control.”
  • Swan: “How? A thousand Americans are dying a day.”
  • Trump: “They are dying, that’s true. And it is what it is. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t doing everything we can. It’s under control as much as you can control it. This is a horrible plague that beset us.”
  • Swan: “You really think this is as much as we can control it? A thousand deaths a day?”
  • Trump: “I’d like to know if somebody – first of all, we have done a great job. We’ve got the governors everything they needed. They didn’t do their job – many of them didn’t, some of them did. We had good and bad and we had a lot in the middle.
It is what it is? trump could care less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Deaths per day 08032020.jpg (44.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Spain Deaths per day 07312020.jpg (37.4 KB, 6 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics