ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , kanye west , presidential candidates

Old 6th July 2020, 08:03 AM   #41
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I think it is too.
Based on what evidence?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 08:09 AM   #42
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Based on what evidence?
Well, he was seen wearing a MAGA hat and he has said some nice things about Trump in the recent past.
Old 6th July 2020, 08:39 AM   #43
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd say 100% of people who would vote for Yeezus would be Trump voters.

I can't see many Democrat-leaning black voters voting for a guy who thinks slavery was a choice.
The intelligence of US citizens is frequently overrated. May I present “President Donald Trump”.
Old 6th July 2020, 09:56 AM   #44
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Wouldn't it be hilarious if West defeated Trump ?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 11:21 AM   #45
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The intelligence of US citizens is frequently overrated. May I present “President Donald Trump”.
I never underestimate the lack of intelligence of Americans.

That's why I said "Democrat-leaning black voters".

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wouldn't it be hilarious if West defeated Trump ?
Certainly would, but he won't be on ballot papers.

Someone said earlier in the thread that he was looking for publicity, and that's all this is.

Worked.
Old 6th July 2020, 11:21 AM   #46
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

So let's just hope that Bill Burr is right
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th July 2020, 12:12 PM   #47
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Well, he was seen wearing a MAGA hat and he has said some nice things about Trump in the recent past.
That is a bizarre leap in logic for example, teams say nice things about players on other teams. Does that imply they are throwing games?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 12:49 PM   #48
Steve
Philosopher

That is a bizarre leap in logic for example, teams say nice things about players on other teams. Does that imply they are throwing games?
Analogy fails. I expect you are bright enough to work out why.
Old 6th July 2020, 12:53 PM   #49
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theheno View Post
Isn't it accepted that Biden must have a female running mate, regardless of what men are available?
Biden has promised that he would choose a female running mate. It would be disastrous for him to go back on that now. Whether he should have made that promise is debatable.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 01:10 PM   #50
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Analogy fails. I expect you are bright enough to work out why.
That is for the person making the claim to defend their argument.
Old 6th July 2020, 02:27 PM   #51
Steve
Philosopher

That is for the person making the claim to defend their argument.
You are wrong.
Old 6th July 2020, 02:34 PM   #52
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

For the record, I couldn’t stand Kanye before it was popular.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 03:49 PM   #53
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I think it is too.
Me too, the split the democrat vote, an attempt to lure away black voters.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:07 PM   #54
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

So Kanye - what about the east?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:12 PM   #55
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Me too, the split the democrat vote, an attempt to lure away black voters.
Although there is another equally plausible based on the combination of an enormous ego combined with Dunning-Kruger.
Old 6th July 2020, 04:48 PM   #56
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I believe I've said similar words before, but anyone who supports this bid is a ******* idiot!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:56 PM   #57
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Isn't he manic-depressive? There's time for a few complete cycles of that before the election. He'll grasp reality on his way back down.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:57 PM   #58
shemp

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This link has a list of state deadlines and requirements to file to get on the state's ballot as a presidential candidate. The deadline has already passed in several states, and is coming up soon in all others.

https://www.ballotpedia.org/Deadline..._for_president

Of course, one can run a write-in campaign. But most states have restrictions on that as well.

Anyone who would waste their vote on Kanye West is an idiot.
Filing deadlines for independents have already passed by in Indiana, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas. Deadlines in several key swing states are coming up within the next ten days. For example, he would have to submit 132,781 valid signatures in Florida by 7/15, 12,000 in Michigan by 7/16, and 9,608 in Nevada by 7/10. Unless he's already got an organization collecting valid signatures* he's not making any of these deadlines.

* He doesn't.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 08:25 PM   #59
shemp

Totally coincidental and apropos of nothing, of course:

Billionaire Kanye West’s Company Gets Multimillion-Dollar PPP Loan From Trump Admin

Quote:
Billionaire rapper and shoe designer Kanye West’s company has received a multimillion-dollar loan as part of the federal government’s coronavirus stimulus package, according to records released Thursday by the U.S. Treasury’s Small Business Administration.

The money was handed out in the latest round of the Paycheck Protection Program, part of the Trump administration’s $2 trillion CARES Act designed to provide economic relief to small businesses during the coronavirus pandemic.
Quote:
West’s loan poses major questions of conflict of interest, given West’s outspoken support for President Donald Trump, his multiple visits to the White House, and the outrageously lavish lifestyle he leads with wife Kim Kardashian West.
Old 6th July 2020, 08:52 PM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I wonder if Kanye just misunderstood how a VP is chosen?
Old 6th July 2020, 11:03 PM   #61
Mumbles
Philosopher

He supposedly has an album out soon - although it's Kanye, his consistency has taken a real nosedive in the past decade...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 12:02 AM   #62
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Isn't he manic-depressive? There's time for a few complete cycles of that before the election. He'll grasp reality on his way back down.
Yes, West is bi-polar and does not take medication for it. I suspect this running for president bit is due to a manic episode.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 01:38 AM   #63
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, West is bi-polar and does not take medication for it. I suspect this running for president bit is due to a manic episode.
My wife watches a lot of that awful Kardashian show, and in the later episodes Kanye occasionally turns up and he does not look well. His last appearance was when Kim was planning to see a black designer debut at a Paris fashion show, and he was rambling about Kim attending being an honour for the designer.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 03:32 AM   #64
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Kanye West could win.

Trump managed it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 03:40 AM   #65
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Kanye West could win.

Trump managed it.
Trump losing to a black man would be priceless.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:48 AM   #66
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Although there is another equally plausible based on the combination of an enormous ego combined with Dunning-Kruger.
He could harm Trump without even running.

Is it possible that merely making people consider how absurd it would be to vote for a vain egomaniac with absolutely no qualities which recommend him for high public office might make them think twice about doing so again?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 04:51 AM   #67
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I wonder if Kanye just misunderstood how a VP is chosen?
He watched Hamilton this weekend and saw Aaron burr was Jefferson's vice president?
Old 7th July 2020, 01:50 PM   #68
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
He could harm Trump without even running.

Is it possible that merely making people consider how absurd it would be to vote for a vain egomaniac with absolutely no qualities which recommend him for high public office might make them think twice about doing so again?

Well put.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 05:18 PM   #69
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Kanye West?
Didn't I hear somewhere that he is a big fan of fishsticks?
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 01:45 AM   #70
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Kanye West?

Didn't I hear somewhere that he is a big fan of fishsticks?

Last edited by TheSupermeerkat; 8th July 2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 8th July 2020, 04:32 AM   #71
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

He now officially no longer supports Trump, says "MAGA hat is off".

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/08/kanye...rump-12960169/
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 04:48 AM   #72
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I never underestimate the lack of intelligence of Americans.

That's why I said "Democrat-leaning black voters".

Certainly would, but he won't be on ballot papers.

Someone said earlier in the thread that he was looking for publicity, and that's all this is.

Worked.
It didn't work for long. I heard and saw it mentioned one day and then, crickets.
Old 9th July 2020, 03:29 AM   #73
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/...23810518728706

Quote:
Kanye West no longer supports Trump—“I am taking the red hat off, with this interview,” he told
@RandallLane
—and intends to run for election under the banner of “the Birthday Party.”

He’s picked Michelle Tidball, a preacher from Wyoming, as running mate.

Kanye West won’t mind taking Black votes from Biden, even if it‘ll aid Trump,
@RandallLane
reports. “To say that the Black vote is Democratic is a form of racism.”

West thinks he had coronavirus 5 months ago. He’s mistrustful of vaccines, calling them “the mark of the beast.”
Article embedded in tweet. His campaign slogan is "YES!"
Old 9th July 2020, 03:30 AM   #74
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Kanye West could win.

Trump managed it.
Trump won the primary, though. Kanye's left it all a bit late.
Old 9th July 2020, 03:48 AM   #75
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Kanye doesn't support Trump - but he hates Biden.

at the very least he can increase the confusion that will be the election.
Old 9th July 2020, 04:36 AM   #76
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Why not west? Why not. Your system of government can function through the term of a complete buffoon as president and the Nation survives......How could west be any worse than the Donald!

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 05:13 AM   #77
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
Why not west? Why not. Your system of government can function through the term of a complete buffoon as president and the Nation survives......How could west be any worse than the Donald!
I agree. The GOP would be far less likely to fall into lockstep with Kanye West and so he would just be a figurehead (though any SCOTUS nominations may be interesting to say the least).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 05:18 AM   #78
Garrison
Philosopher

Which sounds exactly like all those people who were assuring us back in 2016 that Trump really couldn't do that much damage in four years...
Old 9th July 2020, 05:43 AM   #79
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He’s picked Michelle Tidball, a preacher from Wyoming, as running mate.
She calls herself a "Biblical life coach".

Kanye's spiritual guru?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbre.../#79438f361ee1

Quote:
In a wide-ranging interview with Forbes — in which Kanye West confirmed he is serious about running for president—the famed billionaire rapper said he plans to tap as his running mate Michelle Tidball, who describes herself as a “biblical life coach,” and who once said on one of her bible teleconferences that she doesn’t “watch news.”

In Cody, the 57-year-old Tidball runs her own online bible study program under the nonprofit name “Abundant Ministries.”

On her biography page, Tidball touts “various degrees in mental health and criminal justice” and says she previously “worked as a mental health therapist for ten years” before transitioning into life coaching.

Tidball previously served as an executive director of Bright Futures Mentoring Program, a nonprofit that helped mentor students in Cody.
Now I'm thinking if he takes any votes at all, it could be from Trump.

With an evangelical preacher woman, could he appeal to Evangelicals? They were an important constituency for Trump.

More likely though I think very few people will vote for him. The whole thing reeks of crazy.

Here's another article about her that has a picture:

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/07...chelle-tidball
Old 9th July 2020, 06:33 AM   #80
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How could west be any worse than the Donald!
Not that I believe in karma but I tend to find the universe has funny ways to answer that question. In this case, funny means, "disappointing".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics