ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , kanye west , presidential candidates

Old 9th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #81
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The more I think about it, the less it seems like a cynical ploy to help Trump and the more I think the dude is just nuts and delusional. He has delusions of grandeur. He's also gotten religion. His latest album is called "Jesus is King". Subtle. I took a quick listen out of curiosity. It's exactly what the name suggests: entirely Jesus-worshiping stuff. Not very interesting musically.
Old 9th July 2020, 07:18 AM   #82
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Kanye's recent proclamations of slavery being a choice is bound to get a few Republican votes.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 08:29 AM   #83
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
The more I think about it, the less it seems like a cynical ploy to help Trump and the more I think the dude is just nuts and delusional. He has delusions of grandeur. He's also gotten religion. His latest album is called "Jesus is King". Subtle. I took a quick listen out of curiosity. It's exactly what the name suggests: entirely Jesus-worshiping stuff. Not very interesting musically.
Oh, yeah. If this helps Trump or not, it may not all be cleverly orchestrated. I mean, does anyone still think that Trump is the Chess Wizard? Has he or Kanye ever played any kind of chess, let alone 4 dimensional?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 08:53 AM   #84
Joe Random
Master Poster

The fact that actual human beings on this planet (not referring to anyone on this thread) genuinely care about or value anything this sub-literate, narcissistic ass-clown has to say - to say nothing of the notion that any of them might actually pull the lever for him - means I've pretty much decided on my vote come this November.

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 09:16 AM   #85
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Has Giant Meteor managed to get a campaign organization up and running?
Old 9th July 2020, 09:27 AM   #86
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
The fact that actual human beings on this planet (not referring to anyone on this thread) genuinely care about or value anything this sub-literate, narcissistic ass-clown has to say - to say nothing of the notion that any of them might actually pull the lever for him - means I've pretty much decided on my vote come this November.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...73d55830d0.jpg
Do we get to have a primary between Giant Meteor and Sweet Meteor of Death? I was a supporter of SMOD in 2016, but it let me down. How does this newcomer differentiate itself from SMOD?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 09:47 AM   #87
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Kanye has selected a running mate.

And yes, I know it's a parody, but is it really?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 03:03 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Kanye West no longer supports Trump—“I am taking the red hat off, with this interview,” he told
@RandallLane
—and intends to run for election under the banner of “the Birthday Party.”

He’s picked Michelle Tidball, a preacher from Wyoming, as running mate

The more I read about this the more I'm convinced he's in the midst of a bi-polar mania.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 03:20 PM   #89
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He got on my **** list the second he plopped his ass on the Lincoln Resolute desk in the Oval Office, topped off by swearing. "This ************ right here..."

Yes, I know there were other sordid things that happened right there, but it wasn't in front of a gaggle of cameras.
Old 10th July 2020, 02:45 AM   #90
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Quote:
West tweeted last week that he would be running for president in November’s election, despite having missed the filing deadline to get on the ballot in most states.*

The rapper told Forbes he thinks he can argue that he should be allowed extra time due the coronavirus pandemic.*

"I’m speaking with experts, I’m going to speak with Jared Kushner, the White House, with [Joe] Biden,” he said.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...oing-to-be-for

The man is delusional if he thinks Jared Kushner is an expert on anything.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 02:57 AM   #91
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Cthulhu lost in the Primary against Trump in 2016 because Cthulhu was the lesser evil - what makes you think Giant Meteor has a chance?
Old 10th July 2020, 02:58 AM   #92
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...oing-to-be-for

The man is delusional if he thinks Jared Kushner is an expert on anything.
That's so funny. He thinks The Kushner boy is an expert. That's just proof he's still filthy Trumptrash. Only a Trump voter would be stupid enough to think the Kushner boy knows anything about anything. Their kind just aren't that bright.
Old 10th July 2020, 03:23 AM   #93
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

In a twist on the normal flow of campaign finance I hear it's getting under the table donations from the Rees-Moggs and their disaster capitalist friends. The bigger the disaster the more to gain for an enterprising chap with plenty of free capital!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 03:28 AM   #94
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Cthulhu lost in the Primary against Trump in 2016 because Cthulhu was the lesser evil - what makes you think Giant Meteor has a chance?
I now have a wonderful mental image of Great Cthulhu stood behind a campaign podium with two little fat Trump legs kicking among his tenticles. "..and when asked to respond to the suggestion that he was the 'lesser' of two evils Candidate Cthulhu briefly hesitated to compose an answer and then ate Candidate Trump. And now back to the studio."

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 03:37 AM   #95
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump won the primary, though. Kanye's left it all a bit late.
Is it really "a bit late", though?

Can he actually get the nomination in enough states (if that's how it works)?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 03:40 AM   #96
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

he can get the nomination of any party that wants him as nominee, but not by balllot.

But he could run as completely independent and hope to get Written In in States where he passed the deadline to register.
Old 10th July 2020, 03:41 AM   #97
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Apparently Kanye has selected a running mate.

And yes, I know it's a parody, but is it really?
Joel Osteen?

Now they're all really taking the piss.

The "elite" are all in each others' pockets, and it's people like us who make the cogs turn the wheels that churn the media.

It doesn't matter who wins, it just looks bad in the headlines. Good people on all sides are trying to help. Some just act like fools or get treated like them.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2020, 02:25 PM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
He is a trump lover.

Maybe his idea is to deliberately help trump win by stealing votes that might otherwise go to biden. I guess the big question is... How much popularity does he have in the African American community these days. Enough to swing the results of a close state?
I quick scan of search hits suggests this very thing.

And he's publicly endorsed Trump.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2020, 02:31 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The more I read about this the more I'm convinced he's in the midst of a bi-polar mania.
That's not a bad assessment. Kanye has talked about his bi-polar diagnosis and struggle.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #100
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Oh, yeah. If this helps Trump or not, it may not all be cleverly orchestrated. I mean, does anyone still think that Trump is the Chess Wizard? Has he or Kanye ever played any kind of chess, let alone 4 dimensional?
If we want to go down a plausible CT path, could be he's being egged on by people behind a Cambridge Analytica type effort.

Old 12th July 2020, 05:21 AM   #101
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
“I like Elder God candidates who weren’t rammed by ships” - Trump, probably.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2020, 06:58 AM   #102
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Depends on how he would try and do things. I don't think there is a political party that would be on the state ballots already that doesn't have a chosen nominee or a presumptive one. In theory (not practically) some party could decide to change their mind and have him as their nominee.

That leaves him running as an independent. There's different deadlines and qualifications for a person to run as an independent in various states and be on the ballot. Some states deadlines have already passed. Others are going to pass by early August. A few deadlines are late august/early september.

Of the states that he still has time to register to be on the ballot, for most of those he'd have to get a few thousand signatures first.

If he can't make those deadlines, that leaves him as a write in candidate. And even then in some states they will not allow just any write in candidate - you need to register as one in order to have write in votes count.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 12th July 2020 at 07:03 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2020, 12:37 PM   #103
Venom
Illuminator

"I have a great relationship with the blacks" - Donald J. Trump
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 11:19 AM   #104
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The Blacks are a nice white family, I hear.
Old 14th July 2020, 01:38 PM   #105
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, Trump meant he'd watched the movie.

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 06:36 PM   #106
Mumbles
Philosopher

Likely. People tend to forget that after he blathered in the Oval Office about Dolt 45, abolishing the 13th amendment, and whatever, he went to the nearest Apple Store, jumped on a table and ranted incoherently, and then flew to Africa. Folks have been saying he's way off ever since that song about cleaning a box of kitty litter...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:00 AM   #107
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
"Look at my African American" - Donald J. Trump
Old 15th July 2020, 07:46 AM   #108
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

And as predicted, Kanye has abandoned his presidential bid.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9619551.html
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 08:07 AM   #109
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
And as predicted, Kanye has abandoned his presidential bid.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9619551.html
There goes his fifteen minutes of fame.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:19 AM   #110
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I feel real bad for anyone wasting even half a second trying to predict how this would affect the election.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 08:32 AM   #111
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

"What? I can't just say I'm running and get on the ballot? Okay, you can finish now."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 08:53 AM   #112
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Their son hired a sex offender for the predator. Not cool.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 10:23 AM   #113
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
"What? I can't just say I'm running and get on the ballot? Okay, you can finish now."

That, or he came down from his manic episode and started thinking more clearly.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:54 PM   #114
Aidoneus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
There goes his fifteen minutes of fame.
Well that was fun while it lasted.

See you all in four years.
Aidoneus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 01:19 AM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Kanye is on again as a 'candidate' but it's pretty clear he is not mentally well.

Quote:
Old 20th July 2020, 01:41 AM   #116
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Kanye is on again as a 'candidate' but it's pretty clear he is not mentally well.
Now, now, there's already a thread on this board which clearly shows that you cannot assess a candidate or President's mental health status without a detailed, in-person, set of diagnostic tests regardless of your experience or qualifications.

If he is there as a spoiler candidate, could he materially affect one of the two major candidates' chances ?

Quote:
West, who announced his candidacy on 4 July, has already missed the deadline to qualify for the ballot in several states. He needs to collect enough signatures to appear on the ballot in a number of others.

Last week he qualified to appear on Oklahoma's presidential ballot, the first state where he met the requirements before the deadline.

In order to appear on South Carolina's ballot he needs to collect 10,000 signatures by noon local time (18:00 BST) on Monday.

Is his vilification of Harriet Tubman of his own devising, or is it part of a wider assessment of the role of the Underground Railroad ?

Quote:
"Harriet Tubman never actually freed the slaves, she just had the slaves go work for other white people," he said.
Personally I think there is a significant difference between being a paid employee and an owned slave but I'm a white non-American so I'm not familiar with the current state of play in that regard
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 07:23 AM   #117
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm not the least bit worried about West affecting the results of the election. Why, only the stupidest idiots would vote for him, and... um... uh oh...

Oh, I guess could get a lot of votes then. Never mind.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 01:57 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THIS.
Desperate attempt by a washed up musician to revive his career.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:55 AM   #119
Mumbles
Philosopher

He's always been religious and direct about it musically - his second single was literally "Jesus Walks". I'm atheist as get out, but it was a pretty good song (that was ghostwitten by Rhymefest as I recall - or possibly Nas, both are better lyricists than West). Thing is, Jesus Walks was...well, good. His stuff lately is just awful.

He's discussed being bipolar before, and why he doesn't take medication, and I think it's...rather clear he's having an episode and is going through things. I'm not saying this to mock him - as a person who also struggles with mental health I honestly sympathize with him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:01 AM   #120
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Personally I think there is a significant difference between being a paid employee and an owned slave but I'm a white non-American so I'm not familiar with the current state of play in that regard
He's probably trying to talk about prison labor and the 13th amendment again. The 13th banned chattel slavery, specifically, but has a massive hole for prison labor which is why we ended up with things like vagrancy laws throughout the south in the wake on the end of reconstruction (and, incidentally, why Trump's "show me your papers" demands for Obama was so flagrantly and ignorantly racist as hell).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics