ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , Mary Trump , presidential candidates , Trump controversies

Old 10th July 2020, 08:13 AM   #121
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. What a horrible person:You'd think his wife (any of them) would have bought the kids some decent gifts despite Trump. Or maybe said wives picked out the gifts.
Rich people and gifts are weird.

Once when I was a kid, one of my yard work customers (I mowed lawns and pulled weeds for spending money) offered to pay my year end tip with a "collectible calendar" - I said sure. Mostly I was curious about what a collectible calendar actually was. I was thinking maybe car photos or something.

Turned out to be her free giveaway real estate agent promo calendar, with photos of herself standing in front of local houses she had been involved with selling. And it was from that year, meaning, given it was December, I could use it for another two weeks max.

To this day, I still don't know if she genuinely thought these were great gifts, whether she was just trying to see what she pull on a 10 year old, or if she just wasn't thinking at all and just dumping old inventory. Anyway, I just thanked her and called it a year.

Typical tip in those days was $2, which doesn't sound like a lot, but that was 1978, so maybe $25 in current dollars. I told my dad about it and he had some profane words, but we decided not to do anything. It definitely affected his opinion of her.
Old 10th July 2020, 08:53 AM   #122
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I find that rich people didn't get to be rich by giving stuff away for free.

Comfortably off people are, in my experience, the most generous.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 10:06 AM   #123
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

As ever Pratchett covered it - Molly the Queen of the Beggars "...befitting her position, she is required to beg others for the most extravagant goods, though even with her sheer hideousness few people are prepared to hand over a sixteen-room mansion to a beggar...."
Old 10th July 2020, 10:20 AM   #124
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently there is some debate about the value of a book whose author has "Ph.D." next to their name on the cover.

According to this alleged librarian on Quora, in their experience such books are generally not worth reading:

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-put-P...ver-of-my-book

The main argument seems to be that unless the Ph.D. is directly relevant to the subject matter, it amounts to an Appeal to Authority. Resorting to a logical fallacy to make sales is neither a good look for the author, nor a good sign about the value of their book.

I mention this not to cast aspersions on the book itself, though that is of course implied. Make of that what you will.

But logical fallacies are of general interest to this forum. Skeptics who are enthusiastic about this book may find it worthwhile to take note of the implied fallacy here.

Also I'm amused by the notion that Mary Trump is somehow a Doctor of the Philosophy of Donald Trumpism. Like she not only studied the subject enough to make her own way in the world on the strength of her knowledge (a Bachelor); and she not only mastered the extant body of knowledge and its application (a Master); but she also has contributed to expanding this body of knowledge with new insights and applications (a Doctor of Philosphy).
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 10:36 AM   #125
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Apparently there is some debate about the value of a book whose author has "Ph.D." next to their name on the cover.

According to this alleged librarian on Quora, in their experience such books are generally not worth reading:

The main argument seems to be that unless the Ph.D. is directly relevant to the subject matter, it amounts to an Appeal to Authority. Resorting to a logical fallacy to make sales is neither a good look for the author, nor a good sign about the value of their book.

Mary Trump is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist. Her education is about as directly relevant to the subject as it possibly could be.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 10:36 AM   #126
Venom
Illuminator

At the very least I trust Mary Trump's account of her uncle's personal life and relationship with his family. I have no way of proving them true, but what she describes is consistent with his general character.

The most I can honestly say is.... sounds a lot like Donald Trump!
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 10:43 AM   #127
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I mention this not to cast aspersions on the book itself, though that is of course implied. Make of that what you will.

But logical fallacies are of general interest to this forum. Skeptics who are enthusiastic about this book may find it worthwhile to take note of the implied fallacy here.

Also I'm amused by the notion that Mary Trump is somehow a Doctor of the Philosophy of Donald Trumpism. Like she not only studied the subject enough to make her own way in the world on the strength of her knowledge (a Bachelor); and she not only mastered the extant body of knowledge and its application (a Master); but she also has contributed to expanding this body of knowledge with new insights and applications (a Doctor of Philosphy).
Among who is there such a debate?

One doesn't need to be an authority to determine that Trump is a clown. Mary Trump is just one person in a long long line that thinks that.

Are you still defending the clown? What does this nutjob have to do for you to assess that you may have been wrong about him?
Old 10th July 2020, 10:52 AM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I had to laugh at the advice given by this person on Quora whose own qualification is that she "works in a library". Talk about "appealing to authority"!

Frankly, you claim that your post is not intended to cast aspersions on Mary Trump's book. I think your intent was to do exactly that.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 10:57 AM   #129
Venom
Illuminator

I do have a little more respect for people who leave the PhD off of their name on publications.

Oh well.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:01 AM   #130
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Mary Trump is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist. Her education is about as directly relevant to the subject as it possibly could be.
Is it a biography or a diagnosis?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:08 AM   #131
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think it matters? I don't need a psychologist to tell me that Trump is a loon. I see homeless people ranting and raving that make better sense than the Donald.

You can follow the pied piper of insanity like a lemming if you choose.
Old 10th July 2020, 11:16 AM   #132
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

A quite wealthy woman I did some work for announced she would stop paying me once I'd reached the low end of an estimate I had made for editing a self-published manuscript. The high end I cited was MUCH higher. She said I was great, worth every penny but she simply couldn't afford more. I think she wanted the "win" of cutting me off. She was shocked that I did not want to continue working for free to improve the manuscript. I just thanked her profusely and urged her to hire a copy editor, since she didn't want to pay me anymore. A mutual friend said she was obsessed with winning and that continuing to engage would just feed her narcissism.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:17 AM   #133
3point14
Pi

Are you now backing off from the 'main argument' you present below in light of the fact that her qualification is directly related to the subject at hand?

The main argument seems to be that unless the Ph.D. is directly relevant to the subject matter, it amounts to an Appeal to Authority.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:42 AM   #134
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I had to laugh at the advice given by this person on Quora whose own qualification is that she "works in a library". Talk about "appealing to authority"!

Frankly, you claim that your post is not intended to cast aspersions on Mary Trump's book. I think your intent was to do exactly that.
Quote:
This response just confirms my opinion.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:44 AM   #135
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are you now backing off from the 'main argument' you present below in light of the fact that her qualification is directly related to the subject at hand?
It's really funny seeing Prestige first make the argument that a PHD in a non relevant field is worthless and then completely ignoring that Mary Trump's expertise is directly relevant.

I think the argument is also amusing considering the irony of continuing to listen to Trump about say the Pandemic instead of Dr. Faucci or the CDC.

Last edited by acbytesla; 10th July 2020 at 12:01 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:49 AM   #136
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If the subject is a diagnosis, then the degree is directly related. If it's a biography, not so much.
Old 10th July 2020, 11:54 AM   #137
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Need help moving those goalposts?
Old 10th July 2020, 12:02 PM   #138
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He keeps his on wheels.
Old 10th July 2020, 12:38 PM   #139
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

If the subject is a diagnosis, then the degree is directly related. If it's a biography, not so much.
She’s Trump’s niece. Is that enough qualification to write a biography?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 12:48 PM   #140
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
She also has a master's degree in literature. That counts, too.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 04:58 PM   #141
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I would have, too. He showed himself to be a dishonest man who would screw over his own father in order to benefit himself...
I suspect fred trump probably (secretly?) admired that trait in his son. Didn't donald trump express admiration -- in a read-between-the-lines kind of way? -- about North Korean leader Kim Jong Un having a family member murdered in order to 'get to the top.'
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 05:46 PM   #142
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You've spent months arguing in the "Trump has a mental illness" thread that no ethical mental health professional would make a diagnosis without interviewing the subject in person. Now, suddenly it's OK if Mary Trump is making a diagnosis even if she's never professionally interviewed him as a psychologist? Or seen him in years?

Old 10th July 2020, 05:53 PM   #143
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You've spent months arguing in the "Trump has a mental illness" thread that no ethical mental health professional would make a diagnosis without interviewing the subject in person. Now, suddenly it's OK if Mary Trump is making a diagnosis even if she's never professionally interviewed him as a psychologist? Or seen him in years?

: jaw-dropp
Never said it was okay, just said it would be relevant.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:01 PM   #144
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Never said it was okay, just said it would be relevant.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:21 PM   #145
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think they're fine where they are. My only goal was to post an amusing sidebar about academic degrees next to author's names on book covers. The original positions of the posts were more than adequate for that purpose. Why? Do you think they should be somewhere else?
Old 10th July 2020, 06:23 PM   #146
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think they're fine where they are. My only goal was to post an amusing sidebar about academic degrees next to author's names on book covers. The original positions of the posts were more than adequate for that purpose. Why? Do you think they should be somewhere else?
Uh huh. Sure. And I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya for real cheap.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:25 PM   #147
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The way I see it, wanting to write a biography is more than enough qualification to write a biography. Doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a *good* biography, though. And obvs being related to someone is no guarantee of quality in a biography. And - here's the thing - having a Ph.D. is also no guarantee. But you put it on the cover, and it gives the impression the writing in the book may be a cut above.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:26 PM   #148
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

She also has a master's degree in literature. That counts, too.
Counts towards what? Being a Master of Literature doesn't mean you're a good biographer. It may not even mean you're a good writer.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:27 PM   #149
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Where exactly do you imagine I moved the goalposts from?
Old 10th July 2020, 06:30 PM   #150
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Uh huh. Sure. And I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya for real cheap.
Not everything is about whatever bridge you have for sale, or whatever troll you imagine lives under it.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:37 PM   #151
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mary T's book isn't really a biography. It's more an expose and explanation of why Trump is what he is from her inside viewpoint.

Where exactly do you imagine I moved the goalposts from?
Not going down that rabbit hole with you.

Not everything is about whatever bridge you have for sale, or whatever troll you imagine lives under it.
Another example of your need to have the last word even when one is not required. Again, not going there with you. Ciao.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:41 PM   #152
Belz...
Fiend God

Stacy, please. Theprestige is right. He's saying that placing your title on a book when that title is irrelevant to the topic of said book is silly. That's entirely independant of whether diagnosis at a distance is possible or reasonable.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 06:43 PM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Mary T's book isn't really a biography. It's more an expose and explanation of why Trump is what he is from her inside viewpoint.
So the Ph.D. is neither here nor there.

Quote:
Not going down that rabbit hole with you.

Another example of your need to have the last word even when one is not required. Again, not going there with you. Ciao.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th July 2020, 06:44 PM   #154
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Stacy, please. Theprestige is right. He's saying that placing your title on a book when that title is irrelevant to the topic of said book is silly. That's entirely independant of whether diagnosis at a distance is possible or reasonable.
I disagree. But I don't care to argue it anymore. Which is why I didn't bother to even open his video.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 10th July 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10th July 2020, 07:04 PM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This question regarding Mary Trump putting her degree on the cover of the book is a red herring. I doubt a soul buying the book cares about the degree.

I don't need a clinical psychologist to tell me that Donald Trump has serious psychological problems. A fifth grader can see that the man is batcrap crazy.

Last edited by acbytesla; 10th July 2020 at 07:25 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 07:23 PM   #156
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This question regarding Mary Trump putting her degree on the cover of the book is red herring. I doubt a soul buying the book cares about the degree.

I don't need a clinical psychologist to tell me that Donald Trump has serious psychological problems. A fifth grader can see that the man is batcrap crazy.
I know you're using that in the popular slang meaning but psychopaths aren't crazy. That's one of the things that makes them so dangerous.
Old 10th July 2020, 07:30 PM   #157
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I know you're using that in the popular slang meaning but psychopaths aren't crazy. That's one of the things that makes them so dangerous.
Medical professionals don't use the word "crazy" at all. That said, I'm convinced that psychological problems are at the root of his issues.
Old 10th July 2020, 08:34 PM   #158
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This question regarding Mary Trump putting her degree on the cover of the book is a red herring. I doubt a soul buying the book cares about the degree.
Obviously the publisher thinks otherwise.
Old 10th July 2020, 08:37 PM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm convinced that psychological problems are at the root of his issues.
That's true for everyone, though. What else would it be? Alien mind control rays?
Old 10th July 2020, 09:12 PM   #160
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously the publisher thinks otherwise.
So maybe I exaggerated. 5 people might buy the book because it was written by a Doctor.

Maybe the publisher put the title on because the author wanted it on. I spend a lot of time around people with doctorates. Most could care less if you refer to them as Doctor, yet some insist upon it.

Like you almost never meet someone with a degree from Harvard who won't tell you within 5 minutes upon meeting them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics