ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th July 2020, 03:12 PM   #81
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nowhere in that does it say fines or fees.
But how else will we keep the black population from voting?! I mean, the purpose of arresting them and putting them in prison is to help keep them from gaining political power.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 06:00 PM   #82
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No. What I am referring to is what was presented to the voters and not some lawyer's talk and fine print.
You've been presented exactly what was on the ballot. You've also been show exactly what was presented in regards to the implementation of this Amendment, should it pass with voters. To write off exactly what the proponents for this bill were offering, with their own words, in some attempt to smear the other side is obvious. The wording was deliberate, and explained as such. It VERY easily could have been explicit in regards to fees and restitution being excluded, and was not, on purpose.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 07:06 PM   #83
Shadowdweller
Muse

This seems thread appropriate - regarding Trump, voter suppression, and mail-in ballots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpTPURHBW8

Now with extra hypocrisy!
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 07:27 PM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
You've been presented exactly what was on the ballot. You've also been show exactly what was presented in regards to the implementation of this Amendment, should it pass with voters. To write off exactly what the proponents for this bill were offering, with their own words, in some attempt to smear the other side is obvious. The wording was deliberate, and explained as such. It VERY easily could have been explicit in regards to fees and restitution being excluded, and was not, on purpose.
I read what was on the ballot. It seemed damned explicit to me.
Old 28th July 2020, 03:06 AM   #85
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The organisation More Than A Vote is spending $100,000 to pay off ex-felon's fines, so that they are eligible to vote
Old 28th July 2020, 04:33 AM   #86
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
But how else will we keep the black population from voting?! I mean, the purpose of arresting them and putting them in prison is to help keep them from gaining political power.
Right, has nothing to do with laws
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 04:41 AM   #87
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

This forum was a lot better before the politics took over.... sad.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 04:44 AM   #88
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
That was way before your time here, so that is an odd comment.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 04:48 AM   #89
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That was way before your time here, so that is an odd comment.

I love when posters bring up how old someone's account here is, as if that matters.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 04:55 AM   #90
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
I love when posters bring up how old someone's account here is, as if that matters.
It matters because how would he know how 'better' the forum was if he didn't participate?

It'd be like me saying the forum was much better 2001-2004.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 05:00 AM   #91
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It matters because how would he know how 'better' the forum was if he didn't participate?

It might make sense if you were tacitly admitting your 2019 account was a sock created after getting banned.

Just speculating of course.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:01 AM   #92
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Because, I read this forum for years before actually making an account. Just because someone just makes an account doesn't mean they couldn't have been reading the forum since it's inception.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:02 AM   #93
Belz...
Fiend God

Because, I read this forum for years before actually making an account. Just because someone just makes an account doesn't mean they couldn't have been reading the forum since it's inception.
I've considered that possibility. You do realise that all I said is that it was an odd comment, allowing him to respond, right?

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It might make sense if you were tacitly admitting your 2019 account was a sock created after getting banned.

That definitely crossed my mind.

Old 28th July 2020, 05:03 AM   #94
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It would be very strange to lurk on this forum for years, only to create an account in 2019 that almost exclusively posts conservative talking points in the politics subsection, and then complain about how the forum has gone down hill.

Doctor, heal thyself.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:04 AM   #95
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Which you aren't allowed to do regarding accounts BTW.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:04 AM   #96
Belz...
Fiend God

It would be very strange to lurk on this forum for years, only to create an account in 2019 that almost exclusively posts conservative talking points in the politics subsection, and then complain about how the forum has gone down hill.
Specifically, downhill because of politics.

Old 28th July 2020, 05:04 AM   #97
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

"Since the politics took over"... pretty obvious what I meant.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 05:08 AM   #98
Belz...
Fiend God

"Since the politics took over"... pretty obvious what I meant.
Actually it isn't.

Politics have taken over this forum for about five years now, or more. You've been here since 2019. So when, exactly, was the forum better, in your mind, and how do you know?

Old 28th July 2020, 05:12 AM   #99
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Florida has created a strange situation. The "tough on crime" politics popular among the GOP has made Florida a state of felons. 10% of adults are convicted felons and can't vote. That's a staggering number of people, so many, in fact, that pretty much everyone in Florida knows someone who is impacted by this. Only a couple other states even come close, and these also have a long history of racist voter suppression tactics.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...om-voting.html

Which is probably why such a ballot initiative was so popular. When everyone has family, friends, and acquaintances that are felons because of ticky-tack crimes, you dilute the weight of the category "felon". You get a ballot initiative to pass with bipartisan voter support because the general public acknowledges that this is absurd.

It's hard to imagine that reversing the spirit of the initiative by requiring legal fees be paid in full before allowing former felons to vote is in the service of the general public's will on the matter.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 28th July 2020 at 05:50 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 06:54 AM   #100
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

...you, you do know that you're posting in a politics subforum, right? If you want to avoid politics, you might consider reading and posting in different subfora.
Old 28th July 2020, 07:39 AM   #101
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You may be shocked to hear this, but this is absolutely an effort that I can support. Felons get to vote, fines get paid, and the voters of Florida don't get hoodwinked.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 10:26 AM   #102
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

???? Huh???

What are you talking about? This forum IS ABOUT POLITICS! And always has been. And the thread was clearly titled so you knew it was about politics. Also voting and who is allowed to vote is a political issue.

It's also pretty much undeniable that the Republican party is invested a strategy to limit voter participation. This is done in numerous ways including caging and purging voter rolls, limiting voter hours and polling places, implementing strict voter iD laws as well as laws restricting felon voting.

Now if you're not interested in discussing any of this, then why did you visit and post to the USA POLITICS FORUM?
Old 30th July 2020, 02:15 AM   #103
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The politics forum was better before the politics took over?!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:15 AM   #104
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The politics forum was better before the politics took over?!
We used to only talk about bunnies. It was a magical time.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics