ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mail-in voting , politics humor

Old 29th July 2020, 09:58 AM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Republicans care, because they are in the minority. They can't win fair and square, so they have to find ways to suppress democrat votes. For a while the gerrymandering etc. was sufficient to swing it, but now their support has slipped too far and they are getting desperate.

The only question is - how far will they go? Will this be first election in US history with widespread voter suppression - or even outright fraud - so blatant that Republicans will finally be seen for the criminals they are?
The Republicans are worried about mail-in voter fraud in most places. You won't see them complain about voter fraud in Florida because Republicans do well with mail-in ballots in Florida.

As for voter suppression, I'm not too worried about it because the people Trump and the Republicans are losing now are the people they've worked very hard to not suppress for years. They've been courting white, suburban voters for years and that's the demographic leaving them in droves. Sort of a delicious irony.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:24 AM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The Republicans are worried about mail-in voter fraud in most places. You won't see them complain about voter fraud in Florida because Republicans do well with mail-in ballots in Florida.

As for voter suppression, I'm not too worried about it because the people Trump and the Republicans are losing now are the people they've worked very hard to not suppress for years. They've been courting white, suburban voters for years and that's the demographic leaving them in droves. Sort of a delicious irony.
The Republicans aren't worried about mail-in voter fraud, or any voter fraud at all. They are worried about people legitimately voting against them, are doing their worst to try to stop the "wrong" people voting.
Trump this morning has said the election should be delayed. Republicans will support him. Not many, I hope, but some.
Old 1st August 2020, 11:56 PM   #43
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Republicans are now reportedly worried that all the anti-mail-in vote talk may have the opposite of the intended effect, and suppress the Republican vote
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:38 AM   #44
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Ah, brilliant strategy. Convince republicans that mail in voting is rife with fraud and errors so they don't use mail in voting. Then claim mail in voting is obviously fraudulent when it's heavily skewed democratic.
bonzombiekitty is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:24 AM   #45
Lothian
should be banned

Have the rules on mail voting changed since the last election or does the current corrupt system cast doubt on Trump's win?

Why is this suddenly an issue?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:49 AM   #46
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post

Why is this suddenly an issue?
Because due to covid, more states are pushing voting by mail, which is generally easier for most people, which could mean more people will vote, which is generally a bad thing for republicans.
bonzombiekitty is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:27 AM   #47
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Because due to covid, more states are pushing voting by mail, which is generally easier for most people, which could mean more people will vote, which is generally a bad thing for republicans.
Has the process changed? Is it more open to fraud? Or is it just that it is seen as riskier and tat risk increases from minor to major due to the numbers that might use iit?

Note I am after the arguments not whether it is correct!
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:37 PM   #48
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Has the process changed? Is it more open to fraud? Or is it just that it is seen as riskier and tat risk increases from minor to major due to the numbers that might use iit?

No, nothing has changed other than more states making it easier to get an absentee ballot. In PA, for example, you used to need a reason to request one, now you don't. And in some states that already allowed "absentee without a reason" voting, there's been a push to get people to opt for that method due to Covid. At least one secretary of state in a state just decided to mail out absentee voter applications to every registered voter in order to minimize in-person voting, which sent Trump into a tizzy.

Other than that, the process is the same. Nothing is different. The only reason Trump is railing against it is because it makes it more likely to increase voter turnout, which generally hurts Republicans.
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:14 PM   #49
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
No, nothing has changed other than more states making it easier to get an absentee ballot. In PA, for example, you used to need a reason to request one, now you don't. And in some states that already allowed "absentee without a reason" voting, there's been a push to get people to opt for that method due to Covid. At least one secretary of state in a state just decided to mail out absentee voter applications to every registered voter in order to minimize in-person voting, which sent Trump into a tizzy.

Other than that, the process is the same. Nothing is different. The only reason Trump is railing against it is because it makes it more likely to increase voter turnout, which generally hurts Republicans.
Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2020, 05:02 AM   #50
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Some states have loosened mail in voting restrictions in response to Covid. In some states you previously may have had to have a "reason" to receive an absentee ballot, such as proof you'll be out of state or otherwise unable to attend the polls. Many of those states are now allowing absentee mail voting without a reason, because of the obvious dangers of in-person voting.

Even in states with the mail in vote as an option, there are some that are now making it semi-automatic. In my state, Massachusetts, every registered voter has received a postcard allowing them to opt-in to mail in voting for all 2020 elections, where in the past I would have had to request a mail-in ballot on my own initiative.

I see no evidence to believe allowing for more of the population to vote by mail will be a fraud risk, but there's strong reason to believe it may increase turnout as the inconvenience of voting is removed.
Old 3rd August 2020, 05:56 AM   #51
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quite a few of them are. And even decades ago, it wasn't the whole Democratic Party. JFK and LBJ got the Civil Rights Act done. Racism is pretty much official Republican policy these days.

Back on topic, we have submitted our ballots without even mailing them! I just dropped them in the handy drive-up ballot box behind the courthouse.

We even voted for a candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction who, according to this site, is a Republican. It's officially non-partisan; she seems well-qualified.

Oh, and if you do visit that site, go ahead and click on some of the governor candidates. Quite a few are sadly hilarious.
"Ex-Teacher, Anti-Jewish Activist & Frequent Candidate"?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 05:57 AM   #52
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
I saw this: David Blomstrom (I) - Ex-Teacher, Anti-Jewish Activist & Frequent Candidate

He sounds quite the catch. I wondered if it was an over the top description, so clicked through to his official site. This picture awaited me:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f85970c958.jpg
That one intrigued me too.Though there's also the cop facing allegations of covering sup sex abuse.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics