ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 23rd July 2020, 11:00 PM   #121
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’ll take this one, Alex. “What are things Trump can see while being interviewed on a tv show”
Bonus points for getting them in order.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:00 PM   #122
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
What's up with all the as*ter*isks?
Possibly to make it harder for ((((liberals)))) to come across his post with a search?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:01 PM   #123
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’ll take this one, Alex. “What are things Trump can see while being interviewed on a tv show”
Yes!!! Ding ding ding!

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:08 PM   #124
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He forgot the name of the test L:
I noticed that, too.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:10 PM   #125
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’m surprised he didn’t use “Man. Woman. Birth. Death. Infinity.”

Anyone?
OK, OK, Ben Casey!

(Couldn't leave you hanging )
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:11 PM   #126
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Suburban Housewives of America must read this article. Biden will destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream. I will preserve it, and make it even better!
Joe Biden’s disastrous plans for America’s suburbs

Quote Tweet
If you live in the suburbs or you’re a city dweller eyeing a move to a quiet cul-de-sac where your kids can play outside, you need to know about Joe Biden’s plan for a federal takeover of local...
nypost.com
The Suburban Housewives of America. Is this an organization, like 4-H, or the Girl Guides?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:13 PM   #127
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
... And I'm in my mid-60's.
Damn spring chickens on this forum really get my goat sometimes.
Bless you.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:15 PM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Person, woman, man, camera, TV.
face velvet church daisy red

TAKE THAT, YOU YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:18 PM   #129
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Who even uses the term "housewife" anymore?
True. The PC and legal term is "Enchantress of the Home". Also acceptable: Domestic Goddess.
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:55 PM   #130
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The professionals who examined him can't tell us how well he did, of course. Unless someone leaks his medical journal or some other information, which to be honest I don't really think they should.
It's generally illegal under HIPAA, IIRC, for good reason. Though... I did like the STABLE GENIUS Act proposal.

With that said, was the doctor who administered the test one of the ones that have served as nothing more than a mouthpiece for BS that Trump concocted? If so, Trump being helped to cheat would be of no surprise whatsoever.
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:58 PM   #131
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's generally illegal under HIPAA, IIRC, for good reason. Though... I did like the STABLE GENIUS Act proposal.

With that said, was the doctor who administered the test one of the ones that have served as nothing more than a mouthpiece for BS that Trump concocted? If so, Trump being helped to cheat would be of no surprise whatsoever.
Yep. Ronnie Jackson.
Old 24th July 2020, 01:03 AM   #132
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Allison Burger, Ladiz Washroom, Emplys Mustwashands

It certainly seemed that he was just picking words out of the air at the time, and their relative association to one another suggests a mind not exactly trying to overreach. All the same, I'm sure I'm not alone in giving him the old golf clap for his superhuman ability to remember 5 words.

trump is like the Mechanical Turk, but the guy inside died ages ago from secret government mind-rays.
Old 24th July 2020, 01:06 AM   #133
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Surely they wouldn't give five words so easily connected - or is that the point?
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:11 AM   #134
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Surely they wouldn't give five words so easily connected - or is that the point?
In the "real" test, the words aren't easily connected.

IMO President Trump chose five things in his field of vision.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:14 AM   #135
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No, these were hardly the words from the test. Those were just some he picked during the interview.

Hans
Old 24th July 2020, 01:16 AM   #136
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In the "real" test, the words aren't easily connected.

IMO President Trump chose five things in his field of vision.
Yeah, to make sure he could repeat them.
Hans
Old 24th July 2020, 01:25 AM   #137
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

On the example test linked below, the words are:

Face
Velvet
Church
Daisy
Red

https://www.parkinsons.va.gov/resour...st-English.pdf
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:31 AM   #138
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"The president has been known to recite five words to aides in the West Wing or on Air Force One — he’d tweak the list to make it appropriate for the setting — while claiming that Biden could not do the same."

https://apnews.com/c8e5d800f5eb545c7aee8c5b597e6df4
Old 24th July 2020, 01:39 AM   #139
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"The president has been known to recite five words to aides in the West Wing or on Air Force One — he’d tweak the list to make it appropriate for the setting — while claiming that Biden could not do the same."

https://apnews.com/c8e5d800f5eb545c7aee8c5b597e6df4
It's as sad as the paunchy middle-aged man sitting at a bar telling everyone about his glory days when he had trials for Manchester United (or for US readers when he was the quarterback of his high school team).

As someone far wittier than I once said "The older I get, the better I was"
Old 24th July 2020, 01:44 AM   #140
TofuFighter
Master Poster

I tweeted these words to Herr trump, but added 'dotard' on the end. Childish, i know.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:07 AM   #141
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
What I fail to understand is:

1) Why did he take such a test?

2) Why does he talk about it?

Which other president took such a test and talked about it? By doing this, he actually acknowledges the doubt cast on his mental status.

I suggest some trolls allege he has syphilis. Perhaps he will get tested and then talk about not having syphilis (unless he has ). This will make people think: "Why did he need to get that test?".

Hans
No that was his Vietnam and he managed to dodge a bullet.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:10 AM   #142
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A lot of times, these kinds of tests aren't testing what you might think they are.

Perhaps if you ask a clarifying question like "What kind of clock? Digital or analog?", you pass that question automatically.

...snip...
To "fail" at the test indicates serious cognitive issues.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:11 AM   #143
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm not sure that bragging about one of your own being caught in a $60 mil bribery case is smart politics.
He didn't praise Trump, therefore he is not one of Trump's.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:12 AM   #144
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

During an interview for TV conducted by a man, a person, a camera and a personal pleasure unit - sorry woman.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:30 AM   #145
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Possibly to make it harder for ((((liberals)))) to come across his post with a search?
The original doesn't have them.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:59 AM   #146
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I tweeted these words to Herr trump, but added 'dotard' on the end. Childish, i know.
Yet, no more childish than the behaviour of the president of the United States of America on any given day.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:02 AM   #147
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
No, these were hardly the words from the test. Those were just some he picked during the interview.

Hans
I thought he specifically said they were the ones from the test?

Yeah, yeah, I know, Trump therefore probably a lie...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:09 AM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

I thought he specifically said they were the ones from the test?
No, he was just giving an example. Obviously he couldn't remember the words from the test. Hell, he didn't even remember the name of the test, and he thought the questions about the date and counting down from 100 by 7 were difficult.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:16 AM   #149
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No, he was just giving an example. Obviously he couldn't remember the words from the test. Hell, he didn't even remember the name of the test, and he thought the questions about the date and counting down from 100 by 7 were difficult.
Nobody gets them in order.
Old 24th July 2020, 06:42 AM   #150
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
To "fail" at the test indicates serious cognitive issues.
So does finding the questions difficult...
Old 24th July 2020, 06:48 AM   #151
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
No, he is a full-blown idiot:

IdiotWP

Here is a documentary about idiots:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I object to this sort of clouding the facts with hyperbolic, inflammatory language. Zingers may be momentarily satisfying, but c'mon let's keep it real.

He's not an idiot. Clearly, he's a textbook imbecile.
Old 24th July 2020, 06:51 AM   #152
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So does finding the questions difficult...
I'm waiting for someone to ask Joe Biden if he ever took that test, and I'm waiting for him to respond, "My doctors never suspected that I had dementia and therefore have never given me a test to look for cognitive impairment."
Old 24th July 2020, 06:54 AM   #153
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The Suburban Housewives of America. Is this an organization, like 4-H, or the Girl Guides?

I tried to find one on the webz, without success. I didn't really spend much time on the search.

But if it isn't I expect it soon will be. Probably several of them.

At least one a subsidiary of Pornhub.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:02 AM   #154
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

What is delicious about this is that when Charlotte wouldn't promise him carte blanc to fill their facility to capacity regardless of Covid19 ... telling him that it would depend on the circumstances surrounding Covid19 precautions when the time came ... he threw a tantrum, picked up his toys, and loudly proclaimed he was going to move it. Jacksonville, apparently, being more accommodating to his ego and destructive urges.

But not all of the GOP nomination functions have been cancelled, and now the essential ones are still going to be held.

Guess where?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:04 AM   #155
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I gave that cognitive test to my mom - after she had three glasses of wine. It was hilarious!

Only three? Are you trying to suggest your mom is a cheap drunk?

Old 24th July 2020, 07:11 AM   #156
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The original doesn't have them.
It’s an exact cut and paste
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:12 AM   #157
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
No, he is a full-blown idiot:

IdiotWP

<snip>

From the linked article;

In several U.S. states, "idiots" do not have the right to vote:
Kentucky Section 145[21]
Mississippi Article 12, Section 241[22]
New Mexico Article VII, section 1[23]
Ohio Article V, Section 6[24]
I guess it doesn't get much enforcement. Judging from their political proclivities.

That was followed by;
The constitution of the state of Arkansas was amended in the general election of 2008 to, among other things, repeal a provision (Article 3, Section 5) which had until its repeal prohibited "idiots or insane persons" from voting.[25]
One might suspect that Arkansas' GOP managers realized the potential for problems that such a statute could present to the party's interests, and got it squelched.

Old 24th July 2020, 07:13 AM   #158
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It’s an exact cut and paste
Yeah but I saw the original tweet and it doesn't have asterisks.

Old 24th July 2020, 07:17 AM   #159
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What is delicious about this is that when Charlotte wouldn't promise him carte blanc to fill their facility to capacity regardless of Covid19 ... telling him that it would depend on the circumstances surrounding Covid19 precautions when the time came ... he threw a tantrum, picked up his toys, and loudly proclaimed he was going to move it. Jacksonville, apparently, being more accommodating to his ego and destructive urges.

But not all of the GOP nomination functions have been cancelled, and now the essential ones are still going to be held.

Guess where?
Our Mayor (a Republican who was elected solely on a "I want to sell the community owned power company to a investment group that I have financial ties to, but it's totes not shady" campaign that turned into, and I'm quoting our local paper "the biggest scandal in modern Jacksonville history" soon after and is now being investigated by the state and lead to the power company's entire senior leadership stepping down) was trying to sell the city on the whole thing being about economic recovery, with the RNC guranteeing to bring in inconsistently various huge amounts of money that were all completely pulled from someone's ass. But after those numbers all turned into pie in the sky nonsense as the scope of the RNC has been scaled down again and again AND the pandemic showed no signs of slowing down he's spent the last couple of weeks doing a very bad impression of someone trying to backpedal.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th July 2020 at 07:29 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:24 AM   #160
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
OK, OK, Ben Casey!

(Couldn't leave you hanging )
Good news: You win!

Bad news: You've just dated yourself!

https://youtu.be/Xjq1P5p3fso

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 24th July 2020 at 07:32 AM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics