ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Herman Cain , obituaries , presidential candidates

Reply
Old 31st July 2020, 07:36 AM   #81
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,070
Just imagine he's a brown kid in a detention center if it bothers you that much.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:43 AM   #82
Busta Capp
Thinker
 
Busta Capp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 130
Don't really care about Cain, but you guys/gals are ****** up.
__________________
Memorize This Signature
Busta Capp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:44 AM   #83
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
Don't really care about Cain, but you guys/gals are ****** up.
Counterpoint: It's funny as hell.

Laughing at righteous suffering aside, Cain dropping dead of Covid is exactly the message we need to break through to these anti-mask morons. They need to realize that the disease is dangerous, and it will kill their heroes and family members too unless they stop acting like ********.

Edit: But come on, imagine dying just to go that **** Trump rally. Of all the things to give your life for, a poorly attended rally of MAGA CHUDs cheering for Trump sipping water. Wonder if Cain had any regrets as they intubated him?
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st July 2020 at 07:52 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:45 AM   #84
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
Don't really care about Cain, but you guys/gals are ****** up.
Why?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:53 AM   #85
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why?
Because of all the "Black man behaving badly brought death upon himself- and I am fine with it" obvious racism displayed here, no doubt.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:55 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,070
That's the saddest Petard I've ever seen anyone try to send someone up.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:56 AM   #87
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Because of all the "Black man behaving badly brought death upon himself- and I am fine with it" obvious racism displayed here, no doubt.
That would be ridiculous, so hopefully that's not what that poster meant.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:56 AM   #88
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's the saddest Petard I've ever seen anyone try to send someone up.
Hoist me baby, people will be able to hear me laughing from even further.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:16 AM   #89
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,541
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Because of all the "Black man behaving badly brought death upon himself- and I am fine with it" obvious racism displayed here, no doubt.
It has nothing to do with color. I'd be just as happy if Gohmert joined him. ...in fact, more so.

You can blame Trump and his leadership ...I mean lack of leadership....no misguided, moronic leadership. The Pied Piper of the GOP entrancing the rats with his tune straight to their demise. Sadly, he is taking a lot of innocents to their deaths. Not that Cain was ever an innocent.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:21 AM   #90
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,577
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I don't wish death upon H. Cain, but that he died from his own stupidity because he was kissing up to a racist politician who worried about statues of dead slave owners but not about the lives of the descendants of slaves, who called for the death penalty for five innocent young black men, and who probably won't even show up to his funeral, I'm not so troubled.
FTFY.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:22 AM   #91
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It has nothing to do with color. I'd be just as happy if Gohmert joined him. ...in fact, more so.

You can blame Trump and his leadership ...I mean lack of leadership....no misguided, moronic leadership. The Pied Piper of the GOP entrancing the rats with his tune straight to their demise. Sadly, he is taking a lot of innocents to their deaths. Not that Cain was ever an innocent.

You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:23 AM   #92
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,577
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's the saddest Petard I've ever seen anyone try to send someone up.

No, I don't think so. This was Baylor's favorite party trick.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:24 AM   #93
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.
I'm glad we can all get together in this thread and have fun. We get to piss on Cain's grave and call him a dumbass, you get to concern troll (sorta, your heart doesn't seem in it). Everyone gets a chuckle.

What a nice break from the bleak reality. Hope we can do it again soon when some other Trump enabler dies.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:25 AM   #94
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,577
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.

And even more so from police brutality. Your agenda is obvious.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:29 AM   #95
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,577
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm glad we can all get together in this thread and have fun. We get to piss on Cain's grave and call him a dumbass, you get to concern troll (sorta, your heart doesn't seem in it). Everyone gets a chuckle.

What a nice break from the bleak reality. Hope we can do it again soon when some other Trump enabler dies.

A rise in virus-related deaths in a given community tends to reduce support for Republicans. (NYT, July 28, 2020)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:29 AM   #96
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.
I know you think you're making a clever point, but you're not.

All those "while black" threads aim to establish a pattern that black people in the US don't get the benefit of the doubt that white people do. Black man walking in a nice neighborhood? Must be looking to rob a house. Black person in a nice car? Must've stolen it, etc.

In order for your point to work, you'd have to establish that left-leaning posters here are more likely to express glee at the suffering or death of black people than white people.

I don't think you would be able to do that, since most of the targets of their hatred towards hard-line conservatives happen to be white.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:33 AM   #97
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,664
Originally Posted by dann View Post
FTFY.
No problem with that.

Just trying to keep it short. If you list all the layers of wrong it gets a bit like a phonebook.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:33 AM   #98
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,070
So is "OMG I get to use someone's argument (that I obviously only understand on a surface level at best) against them! Oh joy!" better if you smoke it or inject it?
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:35 AM   #99
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,664
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.
As someone who fails at sarcasm on a near daily basis, I can tell you from experience that sometimes a bad line can't be saved. Not even with a rolleyes emoji.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:36 AM   #100
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,664
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So is "OMG I get to use someone's argument (that I obviously only understand on a surface level at best) against them! Oh joy!" better if you smoke it or inject it?
Look at JoeMorgue here bragging that he still has access to needles. SMH.

__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:37 AM   #101
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,541
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You can't prove that. You wish to just handwave away the fact that black men are twice as likely to die from covid than white men. The agenda is obvious.
Trump is POTUS. He's supposed to be the leader. And instead of listening to doctors and scientists and organizing a national response, he ignored, dismissed and even mocked masks and social distancing.

Trump's actions informed and influenced others to act as stupidly as him. They led directly to the death of Herman Cain and thousands of others.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 31st July 2020 at 08:38 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:39 AM   #102
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know you think you're making a clever point, but you're not.

All those "while black" threads aim to establish a pattern that black people in the US don't get the benefit of the doubt that white people do. Black man walking in a nice neighborhood? Must be looking to rob a house. Black person in a nice car? Must've stolen it, etc.

In order for your point to work, you'd have to establish that left-leaning posters here are more likely to express glee at the suffering or death of black people than white people.

I don't think you would be able to do that, since most of the targets of their hatred towards hard-line conservatives happen to be white.
Here we have direct evidence of posters celebrating the death of a black man who they seem to be asserting "brought it upon himself".

That has proven to be enough (countless examples available on this forum) for those same posters to assert racism on the part of anyone who sees the exact same thing happening in another context.
Further, those accusations do not take into consideration whether or not the the poster would feel the same way if the victims in those instances were not black- and in fact often ridicule protestations to that effect.

The. Exact. Same. Argument.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Last edited by Distracted1; 31st July 2020 at 08:45 AM.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:45 AM   #103
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,605
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Here we have direct evidence of posters celebrating the death of a black man who they seem to be asserting "brought it upon himself".
That has proven to be enough (countless examples available on this forum) for those same posters to assert racism on the part of anyone who sees the exact same thing happening in another context.
Further, those accusations do not take into consideration whether or not the the poster would feel the same way if the victims in those instances were not black- and in fact often ridicule protestations to that effect.

The. Exact. Same. Argument.
You're coming across as insincere in your concern for racial issues, assuming that that is what you are upset about.

I would advise going for something more like: "Sure, he was someone you politically disagree with, but your grave dancing is callous and betrays your claim to genuine moral superiority."
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:45 AM   #104
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Here we have direct evidence of posters celebrating the death of a black man who they seem to be asserting "brought it upon himself".
I have said no such thing. Retract this accusation.

Quote:
That has proven to be enough (countless examples available on this forum) for those same posters to assert racism on the part of anyone who sees the exact same thing happening in another context.
No one believe that your argument is genuine. You can stop now. Or you can establish a pattern of bias against black people and then we'll talk.

Quote:
The. Exact. Same. Argument.
Poppycock.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:53 AM   #105
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I have said no such thing. Retract this accusation.



No one believe that your argument is genuine. You can stop now. Or you can establish a pattern of bias against black people and then we'll talk.



Poppycock.
Oh, well, "poppycock", I stand corrected
If you had pointed out the logical differences between the assertions , I might have tried to reason my way out of it- but since you called it "poppycock" I guess there is no place to go from there.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:55 AM   #106
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Oh, well, "poppycock", I stand corrected
If you had pointed out the logical differences between the assertions , I might have tried to reason my way out of it- but since you called it "poppycock" I guess there is no place to go from there.
Did you miss the rest of the post and the one before it?

This is the "low-hanging fruit" fallacy: you're acting as if that word is the only content of my post, which is a lie.

I have already explained to you, twice, the difference between the two situations.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:57 AM   #107
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So is "OMG I get to use someone's argument (that I obviously only understand on a surface level at best) against them! Oh joy!" better if you smoke it or inject it?
Yes. For those of us who try to use logic, ones' opponent using asserting the same thing that they previously insulted many people for asserting is kind of a big deal.

Especially when they do not even deny it and instead only throw further insults at someone who points it out.
I will give you points for honesty there, though.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 08:59 AM   #108
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,706
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
For those of us who try to use logic
You're doing it wrong. Your ability to compare two situations is in question.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:02 AM   #109
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Hermann Cain is pretty high profile in the MAGA world. Who's do you think will be the next heavy hitter to die of covid? Someone in the Trump admin in the white house? A congressperson? Maybe a conservative media figure?

We should have a thread like the "White House Survivor" but about covid, not getting fired.

Who do you think will take the crown as most ironic and deserved Covid-19 death? Cain putting in a strong performance, but I think it can be topped.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:05 AM   #110
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,541
I think the fact that Cain died is unfortunate. For both him and his family. I blame Trump far more for Cain's death than I do Cain.

But you can't just dismiss that Cain recklessly followed his party's leadership to his own demise. That was his choice. Cain was a cancer survivor, he was in his 70s. He was in a high risk group and he was smart enough that he should have known that he was risking his own life. He was also wealthy enough to walk away from stupidity.

So it's hard for me to feel sorry for Cain. Who I really feel bad for are the staff and interns in Congress who work for Republicans where there is pressure to cavalierly ignore safeguards.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:06 AM   #111
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You're doing it wrong. Your ability to compare two situations is in question.
Poppycock!
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:08 AM   #112
Mader Levap
Muse
 
Mader Levap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Because of all the "Black man behaving badly brought death upon himself- and I am fine with it" obvious racism displayed here, no doubt.
That would be ridiculous, so hopefully that's not what that poster meant.
Distracted1 is trolling, obviously. He is lately on trolling spree here. I guess he has nothing better in his life to do, lol.
Then again, I am writing out of boredom to niche internet forum that has as main feature and attraction constant bickering, so who I am to judge.

Back on topic: We laugh because some dumbass opposing measures against very nasty disease died of that disease. It may be right or wrong thing to do, but it has nothing to do with skin color of that high-profile moron. Well, DUH.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Who do you think will take the crown as most ironic and deserved Covid-19 death? Cain putting in a strong performance, but I think it can be topped.
If Trump dies of covid, is there anyone that could trump (heh) him?
__________________
Sanity is overrated. / Voting for Trump is morally equivalent to voting for Nazis in early 30's.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:09 AM   #113
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,070
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Yes. For those of us who try to use logic, ones' opponent using asserting the same thing that they previously insulted many people for asserting is kind of a big deal.
Rationalize your sad little "gotcha trolling" all you want. Everyone sees it for what it is.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:10 AM   #114
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think the fact that Cain died is unfortunate. For both him and his family. I blame Trump far more for Cain's death than I do Cain.

But you can't just dismiss that Cain recklessly followed his party's leadership to his own demise. That was his choice. Cain was a cancer survivor, he was in his 70s. He was in a high risk group and he was smart enough that he should have known that he was risking his own life. He was also wealthy enough to walk away from stupidity.

So it's hard for me to feel sorry for Cain. Who I really feel bad for are the staff and interns in Congress who work for Republicans where there is pressure to cavalierly ignore safeguards.
Gloating aside, this is pretty fair. Cain wasn't really an outstanding figure in the conservative world when it comes to Covid denialism.

From an objective stance, he definitely promoted dangerous misinformation, making his death deeply ironic and full of schadenfreude. But among his peers of conservative ideologues, he barely rises above the baseline. He was basically toeing the company line by downplaying covid, but not outstanding in this regard in any real way.

There are definitely candidates out there that are heavily pushing covid denialism, even more stridently than Trump himself. I hope that Cain's ironic death is just an aperitif to bigger and better things to come.

So far, it seems like most of the highly responsible parties seem to have escaped the wide scale suffering they have inflicted on this country.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st July 2020 at 09:11 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:20 AM   #115
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,541
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Gloating aside, this is pretty fair. Cain wasn't really an outstanding figure in the conservative world when it comes to Covid denialism.

From an objective stance, he definitely promoted dangerous misinformation, making his death deeply ironic and full of schadenfreude. But among his peers of conservative ideologues, he barely rises above the baseline. He was basically toeing the company line by downplaying covid, but not outstanding in this regard in any real way.

There are definitely candidates out there that are heavily pushing covid denialism, even more stridently than Trump himself. I hope that Cain's ironic death is just an aperitif to bigger and better things to come.

So far, it seems like most of the highly responsible parties seem to have escaped the wide scale suffering they have inflicted on this country.
I don't want to gloat about Cain's death. I didn't even know he had COVID. He really wasn't that prominent either. But I can't help acknowledging that he tested positive right after the Tulsa rally where he not only didn't wear a mask, the Trump campaign were seen removing the stickers reminding people about Social Distancing.

I might gloat if Gohmert dies, i despise that jerk.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:20 AM   #116
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Distracted1 is trolling, obviously. He is lately on trolling spree here. I guess he has nothing better in his life to do, lol.
Then again, I am writing out of boredom to niche internet forum that has as main feature and attraction constant bickering, so who I am to judge.

Back on topic: We laugh because some dumbass opposing measures against very nasty disease died of that disease. It may be right or wrong thing to do, but it has nothing to do with skin color of that high-profile moron. Well, DUH.


If Trump dies of covid, is there anyone that could trump (heh) him?
He was black.
He was a "bad" man.
He is prematurely dead.
You (amongst others) are celebrating that fact.

That is, and has been consistently enough evidence on this forum to insinuate (or claim outright) racism on your part,
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:22 AM   #117
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Rationalize your sad little "gotcha trolling" all you want. Everyone sees it for what it is.
You most clearly.
Even stating outright that it is "using their own argument against them" (paraphrase)
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:23 AM   #118
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,541
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He was black.
He was a "bad" man.
He is prematurely dead.
You (amongst others) are celebrating that fact.

That is, and has been consistently enough evidence on this forum to insinuate (or claim outright) racism on your part,


Bull feces.

You're just pissing in the wind.

Be careful you don't get any on you.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:24 AM   #119
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't want to gloat about Cain's death. I didn't even know he had COVID. He really wasn't that prominent either. But I can't help acknowledging that he tested positive right after the Tulsa rally where he not only didn't wear a mask, the Trump campaign were seen removing the stickers reminding people about Social Distancing.

I might gloat if Gohmert dies, i despise that jerk.
80 year old Bill Montgomery, co-founder of TPUSA, dying of covid is a guilt-free grave-dance you might enjoy. The conservative outlet he founded was actively spreading Covid contrarianism right up until he died, including his fellow co-founder Charlie Kirk talking about how he won't be forced to wear a mask anywhere. Pretty hilarious.

They have since stripped their twitter account of these moronic anti-mask memes because the irony was reaching dangerous levels.

Originally Posted by Kirk of TPUSA
Kirk has frequently derided health officials' recommendations for people to wear masks while indoors or when they are unable to socially distance in order to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

“[E]very single time I go into one of these grocery stores, ‘Where’s your mask?’ I say, well first of all, the science around masks is very questionable, very questionable,” he said during a recent episode of his podcast. “In fact some people, some doctors think that masks actually make you sicker and have you less likely to be able to get oxygen and more likely to infect yourself, and less likely to be able to fight the virus, and actually more likely to be able to die sooner."
https://www.coloradopolitics.com/cor...34fdd4897.html
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:25 AM   #120
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post


Bull feces.

You're just pissing in the wind.

Be careful you don't get any on you.
Poppycock.
He was most definitely black.


Unless there is another part of that statement you feel is "bull feces"?
Perhaps you could elaborate?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.