IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conspiracies , flat earth , flat earth conspiracies , geography , history , skeptic

Old 2nd July 2022, 01:04 PM   #1
skepticsalamander
Student

That Time In 1870 When The Father Of Biogeography Took Up A Bet Against Flat Earthers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOd0...pticSalamander
skepticsalamander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:09 PM   #2
skepticsalamander
Student

Discussion

This piece of history is unknown to many!

Alfred Russel Wallace, an accomplished scientist, goes head to head with creationist flat-earthers!

The rest is.....interesting.
skepticsalamander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What were you expecting to happen? He's a scientists, they were flat earth believers. How interesting could it be?
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What were you expecting to happen? He's a scientists, they were flat earth believers. How interesting could it be?
Eh? It is just unfortunate he did not convince then all as they are still around today.

(see any number of YouTube videos)
Old 2nd July 2022, 05:38 PM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Eh? It is just unfortunate he did not convince then all as they are still around today.

(see any number of YouTube videos)
No they aren't still around; flat earthers aren't real. They don't exist. They are pretending to be flat earthers to get attention because (insert screwed up reason here).
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:54 PM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No they aren't still around; flat earthers aren't real. They don't exist. They are pretending to be flat earthers to get attention because (insert screwed up reason here).
Much as I would like to believe that, there is just too much evidence that crazy people exist.
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:42 PM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

And my take is some small percentage are sincere due to religious aspects/reasons... "it's a firmament shell/dome" etc.
How small a percentage is impossible to say, but I believe they're there.

But the majority? Absolutely... attention whores.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:13 PM   #8
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
And my take is some small percentage are sincere due to religious aspects/reasons... "it's a firmament shell/dome" etc.
How small a percentage is impossible to say, but I believe they're there.

But the majority? Absolutely... attention whores.
The overwhelming majority of people claiming to be flat earthers have no interest in proving the Earth is flat, they're only interested in proving they can win an argument. The remainder are just morons.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 08:24 PM   #9
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
The overwhelming majority of people claiming to be flat earthers have no interest in proving the Earth is flat, they're only interested in proving they can win an argument. The remainder are just morons.
Though I think most of the leaders and many of the followers of the flat earth "movement" are trolls who know good and well that they're full of ****, there are a fair number of true believers, who have swallowed the nonsense hook line and sinker.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories