IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Didactylos
Scholar

Location: East of the sun, west of the moon, first left turn past the trailer park...
Have CTs about the RAND corporation ever been popular?

A global policy think tank founded by a major defense contractor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAND_Corporation

Has a lot of somewhat infamous former members: Herman Kahn, John von Neumann, Donald Rumsfeld and others.

Wikipedia has a list of controversies with no less than 20 references. I haven't really checked them out. But you generally don't hear CT'ers lash out against them, like they do against the Bilderbergers or WEF.

They are in Simpsons "Milhouse : We're through the looking glass" meme. Mad Magazine mentioned them in a "Popular Paranoia" feature I read ages ago. According to wikipedia, "Dr. Strangelove" spoofed them as BLAND Corporation.

Personally I first heard of them when I read Fred Hoyles SF novel "Fifth Planet". Written in 1963, it takes place in a future about 100 years later, the cold war is still going on, and it mentions casually some chapters in, as a "by the way", that the RAND Corporation had taken over policy decisions in the USA. Or simply the government, it's a long time since I read it.

So references of a CT nature is mostly old, and/or not really serious.

How have they crept under the radar? Are they too boring?

Last edited by Didactylos; 29th December 2022 at 06:12 AM.
Didactylos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2022, 06:10 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

///
Old 29th December 2022, 06:39 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Old news.
Hard to talk about the Gulf Wars without talking about RAND.
Old 31st December 2022, 08:06 AM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

What about the Trilateral Commission?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 03:33 PM   #5
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
What about the Trilateral Commission?
Or the Bilderbergers.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories